NECA - Planet Of The Apes - Classic & Modern!

Reaction score
Just opened my Luca today, what an AWESOME figure. The alternate head is so detailed and realistic. 2 thumbs up for NECA!

Reaction score
Picked up another Luca for some war paint applications. Really love this figure, hope we get some more from NECA be a shame to end this series.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they've said they're done but it's a crime we won't get Blue Eye's or Rocket.

I mean, no offense to you old-school fans, but the Classic line seems to be suffering whilst the Modern line generally sells out (albeit the overshipped warpaint Caesar)

Reaction score
Hey I collect them both, just sucks that this line is more than likely done. Like when SS cancelled the Joe line. I thought the line was doing well here, classics sold out quicker than the modern APES in my area.

Reaction score
Umm mcvance, where are you just finding Luca lying around? I never saw him at retail, had to resort to ToyWiz, which still had him at an acceptable price.
Randy said that the modern toys just didn't sell well. I do see that though because they really are just figures of plain ol' apes, with the exception of warpaint apps on Koba and Caesar. Really they only appeal to those of us who loved the movies. Doubtful that we will get figures for the next film unless Neca can do more with them, like armor, more accessories and weapons. At this point even the Classics line looks like it's stalled.
Oh and warpaint Caesar only seemed like it was overproduced but according to Randy, close to the holidays TRU requested solid cases of warpaint Caesar. I think Walmart got those too.

Reaction score
Meh. what a waste of a (potential) slot. When you think of Conquest, does anyone even think of the Orangs? I loved this line so much, but their choices do seem to coming out of a blind bag.

Plus The final nail is in the coffin for Taylor. there has been a fairly definitive No come down the pipe from Neca.

Its a madhouse.....A MADHOUSE!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
The only Oranutans I can actually remember in conquest are the nudie ones in the cage that ceasar hides with....... and I only just rewatched it the other week!

Reaction score
I've immensely enjoyed collecting the Classic line, but I somehow always knew in the back of my mind that it would be short-lived, and to enjoy it while we could.

Reaction score
Umm mcvance, where are you just finding Luca lying around? I never saw him at retail, had to resort to ToyWiz, which still had him at an acceptable price.
Randy said that the modern toys just didn't sell well. I do see that though because they really are just figures of plain ol' apes, with the exception of warpaint apps on Koba and Caesar. Really they only appeal to those of us who loved the movies. Doubtful that we will get figures for the next film unless Neca can do more with them, like armor, more accessories and weapons. At this point even the Classics line looks like it's stalled.
Oh and warpaint Caesar only seemed like it was overproduced but according to Randy, close to the holidays TRU requested solid cases of warpaint Caesar. I think Walmart got those too.
Well, I for one only collected the Dawn Apes figures & didn't get any of the Classic figures at all - the reason being that I'm not a big fan of the Classic films & think the Apes in those look just like what they are, i.e. actors in make-up & costumes. Whereas the CGI Apes in the new films looked much more savage & realistic. Ditto for the figures from both sets of films - I strongly prefer the figures from Dawn to the Classic ones.

I'm not sure that the Dawn Apes figures really didn't sell well. I remember mid-Summer last year when the initial three came out (Marius, Kobe, and Caeasar) all of these figures sold out @ my local TRU within several months. When I went to TRU earlier this year to look for the second wave, I only find the 2nd wave Caesar (with the gun), and no sign of the other two. I went back more recently, and couldn't find any Dawn figures at all.

I am extremely dissapointed that I couldn't find Luca @ retail - I would have bought two of him, since the gorillas like him all looked similar in the film. I'm still debating on whether or not I should get this online, but the price keeps going up on Amazon (it's now $45) and you still need to pay for shipping - I should have gotten him earlier, but even months ago the figure was still expensive. Now, I just can't justify $50 for this toy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Randy is the one who said that the Dawn line didn't sell well. Not being able to find figures when they first come out and not being able to find them now aren't a good indicators of how the line did. Of course they are going to fly off pegs when they first come out and at this point, with wave 2 last shipping in November, I'm surprised if you see any at TRU anywhere. Stores in my area haven't had any in at least a couple of months. Randy said wave 2 initially shipped in November and around that time I was hitting TRU's hard. Folks on Twitter would ask him why they couldn't be found and he would say they shipped and should be out there. He also said the LA port strikes was affecting distribution. Whatever the case I didn't see wave 2 Caesar and Koba until closer to late Dec/early Jan and never saw Luca anywhere.
NECA figures are hard to track because they aren't produced in mass quantities like Hasbro or Mattel and per a TRU buddy of mine they are sold on a consignment system. Per my TRU buddy when I asked him for help tracking down Luca

Neca figures... This actually started before I left. Neca started sending their figures to TRU directly. There is a program that TRU uses called Scan Based Trading. It's like a consignment based deal with certain vendors. TRU doesn't pay for the stock until they are processed though the POS. These items are sold in TRU stores but not included in the store inventory. Neca figures falls into this catagory.
Doing a search for any of these figures will show zero in inventory no matter what. If you are in store, or on the phone with someone, if they check alternate store locations for a certain item, it will show stores that have a negative on hand quantity. These would be the stores that would have that particular item number on hand as the negative on hand numbers would show they have sold something.
TRU's site had Luca available as recently as Feb. I procrastinated and missed him. After that Gamestop had him up until March but I procrastinated again. Amazon and eBay prices were out of hand so I did a lot of searching and finally found a decent deal on ToyWiz. Luca was $24.99, no tax, plus shipping. I ordered him and wave 2 Caesar, which was on clearance on $9.99, so I ended up paying essentially retail for both. They still have him (site says 4 left) but the price is up to $28.99, which isn't bad compared to Amazon and eBay. BBTS has a set of wave 2 figures for $66.99, not too bad either.

Reaction score
TRU's site had Luca available as recently as Feb. I procrastinated and missed him. After that Gamestop had him up until March but I procrastinated again. Amazon and eBay prices were out of hand so I did a lot of searching and finally found a decent deal on ToyWiz. Luca was $24.99, no tax, plus shipping. I ordered him and wave 2 Caesar, which was on clearance on $9.99, so I ended up paying essentially retail for both. They still have him (site says 4 left) but the price is up to $28.99, which isn't bad compared to Amazon and eBay. BBTS has a set of wave 2 figures for $66.99, not too bad either.
Good to know - Thanks for taking the time to post. I'm hesitant to order anything through the mail from anyone other than Amazon, since I've had shipping issues in the past. This Luca for $28.99 (plus shipping, I think) is not a terrible price, though it's still a little too much for me to pay for this figure. That being said, I'm sure if I wait to buy this it'll go up in price even more, and then at some point in the not-too-distant future it will be impossible to find for a reasonable price....

Randy is the one who said that the Dawn line didn't sell well. Not being able to find figures when they first come out and not being able to find them now aren't a good indicators of how the line did. Of course they are going to fly off pegs when they first come out and at this point, with wave 2 last shipping in November, I'm surprised if you see any at TRU anywhere. Stores in my area haven't had any in at least a couple of months. Randy said wave 2 initially shipped in November and around that time I was hitting TRU's hard. Folks on Twitter would ask him why they couldn't be found and he would say they shipped and should be out there. He also said the LA port strikes was affecting distribution. Whatever the case I didn't see wave 2 Caesar and Koba until closer to late Dec/early Jan and never saw Luca anywhere.
When NECA says Dawn figures didn't "sell well", what exactly does that mean? Does that mean stores didn't order that many because they didn't think they would sell, and/or that they were peg-warming on store shelves?!

My definition of "selling well" is that if a toy line is sold out at the store distributing said toy, that means it did well @ retail. I specifically remember seeing a whole shelf full of the initial three Dawn of the POTA figures @ TRU in mid-summer 2014, i.e. Caesar, Maurice, and Kobe. I understand that NECA doesn't produce these in large quantities, but there were a good amount of these three on the shelf. Several months later, I went back to this same TRU & couldn't find any Dawn figures whatsoever - so, unless TRU saw that they were not selling & sent them back to the distributor (which I don't think they would have done, since they would probably have lost $ that way), then they all sold out.

Earlier this year, I went to this this same TRU to look for Wave 2, and only saw 2-3 Wave 2 Caesars - I didn't see either of the other two figures (Koba Wave 2 or Luca). A couple of months later, there were 0 Dawn figures to be found at this store.

Conversely, I see plenty of the Classic POTA figures at TRU all the time.

Note TRU is the only retail store where I've seen Dawn figures - I'm sure they're sold at other stores, but I haven't seen them anywhere else.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looks like series 3 will be sold only as a bundle via SDCC & TRU(different packaging seems to be the only variant)...details on NECA's site. NECA usually makes some Con exclusives available on their store site, also.

Reaction score
My second MEGO-tribute NECA Planet of the Apes commercial is done if anybody wants to watch it. :) This one is a remake loosely based on the Forbidden Zone Trap commercial from the vintage line. I borrowed the original audio on this one and tweaked it quite a bit, which I think really helps that "vintage" feel. Hope ya like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShZH3weUIaM

View the vintage inspiration here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpU7f1BB9T0

Sallah

Reaction score
Scored this set myself today at my local TRU...the UPS guy literally dropped it off while I was asking my TRU emp. The box only had two...so I think this is gonna be a hard-to-find piece(someone was eyeing the other set before I checked out). I had a Rewards coupon that helped. For the record...this is a TRU exclusive. The SDCC version has a different outer sleeve with the same 3 figures.
Picked up the SDCC classic series 3 three pack at a local TRU. It was $74.99 but I used a 20% off coupon to bring the price down to $60.

Reaction score
For anyone on the fence on these still... You should REALLY think about grabbing them. I think it is the overall strongest wave yet. Absolutely AWESOME figures. And if this venue works, Series 4 could still happen. So buy them Apes!

Sallah

Reaction score
Open plea to anyone army building the conquest figures. If anyone is willing to ship an Aldo to the UK, where we have absolutely NO chance of seeing this wave. I would be very greatful. Many thanks in advance

Reaction score
Open plea to anyone army building the conquest figures. If anyone is willing to ship an Aldo to the UK, where we have absolutely NO chance of seeing this wave. I would be very greatful. Many thanks in advance
II would gladly get you one if available separately...but I don't think many collectors are gonna break up that set. Doesn't NECA ship overseas?

Reaction score
As great as this series 3 set is, I just couldn't justify the cost. As much as I wanted it it's just not worth it to me. Sucks that this line is on life support.

Reaction score
II would gladly get you one if available separately...but I don't think many collectors are gonna break up that set. Doesn't NECA ship overseas?
I'm also in the UK, and would love to get the set of 3.... I tried to sign up on the NECA site, but there was no option to register outside of the US. If anybody is able to pick one up for me, I would really appreciate the help, and would, of course, pay for shipping to the UK.

Reaction score
Picked up the last Series 3 3-pack last night at TRU, seems like it was the only SDCC NECA they had. I ordered the Ambush Pred and Endoglow Terminator off of necaclub.com just to save myself the hassle.

Opened up the 3 pack and as great as they are, Conquest Gorilla's left leg snapped off. UGH. As I've said many times before, I'm super-gentle when it comes to first opening and moving the joints on all my figures, so this really killed me. I've had this same thing happen once before with one of the 2-pack Ape Soldiers but I managed to fix it with a small screw.

Reaction score
So apparently the Classic line is ending, yet they never gave the modern line a proper chance?

Not gloating, that just sucks, I give NECA credit for usually making better decisions than that.

Reaction score
So apparently the Classic line is ending, yet they never gave the modern line a proper chance?

Not gloating, that just sucks, I give NECA credit for usually making better decisions than that.
How did they not give it a chance? 2 full waves at retail... Same as classic.

Stores wanted more Caesar and Koba, and tooling budget was limited for Wave 2 after less-than-stellar numbers on Wave 1, so putting out new versions of them made sense for Wave 2 in the hope that things would pick up into Wave 3. They sadly didn't though...

2 waves for a current movie tie-in line is, in my opinion, giving them a proper chance considering that the sales numbers weren't anything to write home about.

Sallah

Reaction score
I don't believe that stores wanted all Caesar and Koba. NECA says these things but I don't necessarily swallow that. Look how quick Luca disappeared! Same with Prometheus, I don't get how they maintain the line sold so abysmally when everything but the 2pack seemed to sell pretty well around here (Pressure Suit warmed a bit but even those found homes eventually). I think a large part of what killed Prometheus was the 3rd wave which was two repaints no one wanted.

And yeah, they did have two lines each but TRIED to plan a bunch in advance for Classic. So us Modern fans never get a Blue Eyes, Rocket, etc.

And how many stupid screaming shotgun Caesars are still laying around? Less than Dr. Zaius', but still quite a few.

Again, not trying to say one franchise is better than the other, I just wish they would have given modern a decent chance instead of just really 1.5 waves (I call the second one a half because there was only really one new figure).