NECA General Discussion Thread

Reaction score
Anyone seen the new weird Alien/Aliens toys at Walmart where the aliens are colored orange or blue/purple and they come with an army figure? They look like something you'd find at a Family Dollar store.

orange colored xenomorph with the egg and facehugger look a little better than a shiny blue/purple xenomorph.

Walmart even has the Alien queen and is just a big honkin plastic thats also blueish purple
Yes, unfortunately I did see them. They were shudder-inducing.

Reaction score
Those marine/army/mililtary figures that come with the xenomorphs in those new Alien/Aliens box sets at Walmart, the aliens are cool looking but the human figures are just awful looking.

Like I said, the orange colored xenomorphs with the egg facehugger they look wicked with orange but the blueish purple xenomorphs look cartoonish in my opinion.

and the big honkin Alien Queen it looks nice but its just big plastic that looks cheap and bad. Like Dollar Store/Family Dollar store stuff.

Why is that stuff even at Walmart anyway? What toy company even made the new Alien/Aliens stuff thats at Walmart right now?

Reaction score
That's all fine and well, but none of what you are talking about is NECA related. There are other threads for the Lanard stuff.

Reaction score
Oh, hush yourself. Besides all those Lanard Aliens toys are already being discussed in detail and at length in the proper thread(s).

Reaction score
I've often wondered some things. NECA is probably my favorite toy company today, but I have so many questions: Does their Godzilla licence extend to monsters other than Godzilla? I'd love a classic Mothra, Rodan, Ghidorah, Mechagodzilla, etc. I'm going to guess no, otherwise they'd likely have or be doing them. Do they have any interest in Starship Troopers, the original Bladerunner, and Fifth Element? I think they'd be perfect for those properties and I think they deserve lines. Will we ever get a 6'' Devito Penguin and Phiffer Catwoman, scaled down versions of their larger figures like they did with 1989 Batman, Adam West Batman, and Ledger Joker? And what is the deal with Nicholson Joker? Why does no one make him? Will Ash ever come for the Alien line? I mean we're getting Brett and Parker now too, it'll feel criminal to not get Ash. And I've heard of the issues with Apone and Drake, but is at all possible to reach an agreement?

Reaction score
Some of those things have been addressed by then at one time or another on Twitter (Randy is pretty active and engages people/ answers questions pretty much all day long).
Until King of the Monsters, the license did not extend beyond Godzilla. Even now I believe it's just those versions.
Starship Troopers is considered too niche (they won't make any money off it). I can't remember if Fifth Element is in that same camp.
No rights exist for the original Blade Runner, that's why no one has put out figures of it.
I think the change in DC's license means no more DC figures, but I could be mistaken.
I think Ian Holm refuses too sign off on his likeness being used. Same for Al Matthews (Apone). I think three most recent answer about Drake was basically (paraphrased) "maybe next year. This year is all about Alien's 40th anniversary".

The only reason I joined Twitter was to follow them for this kind of info. When there was basically no alien news, my interest dropped.

Reaction score
I've often wondered some things. NECA is probably my favorite toy company today, but I have so many questions: Does their Godzilla licence extend to monsters other than Godzilla? I'd love a classic Mothra, Rodan, Ghidorah, Mechagodzilla, etc. I'm going to guess no, otherwise they'd likely have or be doing them. Do they have any interest in Starship Troopers, the original Bladerunner, and Fifth Element? I think they'd be perfect for those properties and I think they deserve lines. Will we ever get a 6'' Devito Penguin and Phiffer Catwoman, scaled down versions of their larger figures like they did with 1989 Batman, Adam West Batman, and Ledger Joker? And what is the deal with Nicholson Joker? Why does no one make him? Will Ash ever come for the Alien line? I mean we're getting Brett and Parker now too, it'll feel criminal to not get Ash. And I've heard of the issues with Apone and Drake, but is at all possible to reach an agreement?
I would love some classic monsters other than Godzilla to mix things up. NECA is a nice cheaper alternative to the more expensive SH Monstarts or the even more expensive X-Plus stuff.

Regarding Blade Runner. I could have sworn that I heard during an interview last year at one of the toy fairs or cons that McFarlane got the classic BR license. But, now I can't find any info about it at all, so I could have remembered wrong.

Reaction score
My dream license for them would be if they got into making the Classic universal monsters. I thought at a con last year (sdcc or nycc), Randy said something about being in talks with Universal. Plus, I think Phantom of the Opera is officially public domain as of last year.

Reaction score
I would love some classic monsters other than Godzilla to mix things up. NECA is a nice cheaper alternative to the more expensive SH Monstarts or the even more expensive X-Plus stuff.

Regarding Blade Runner. I could have sworn that I heard during an interview last year at one of the toy fairs or cons that McFarlane got the classic BR license. But, now I can't find any info about it at all, so I could have remembered wrong.
Exactly! NECA IMO is really just as good as those import lines, but half the price. Maybe even LESS than half the price, depending. The people over there seem just as nerdy as the actual buying collectors, so knowing NECA, they probably want to make a huge roster of Godzilla Kaiju, it's probably just some legal hiccup.

I was sure that we'd at LEAST get a re-action vintage style line of figures for Blade Runner, but even THAT didn't happen. Plus I was hoping for Starship Troopers too, but alas...was not to be. You could have easily done an affordable Spinner and bugs in that scale and style too. But for me, ideally, I'd want 6'' film accurate figures akin to like NECA's Alien line. I can even imagine the line-up's:

Blade Runner (all the expected accessories...but I included specific ones if more unique I'd want):
Wave 1: Deckard, Roy Batty, Rachel
Wave 2: Pris, Tyrell (with owl), Leon
Wave 3: Zhora (with snake), Gaff (with paper unicorn), J.F. Sebastian (with little robots)

"Tears in the Rain" 2-Pack: Batty vs. Deckard

Starship Troopers:
Wave 1: Johnny Rico, Dizz Flores, Ace Levy
Wave 2: Lt. Jean Rasczak, Capt. Carmen Ibañez, Col. Carl Jenkins
Wave 3: Career Sgt. Zim, Cpl. Sugar Watkins, Lt. Zander Barcalow

Deluxe: Warrior, Hopper, Tanker, and Brain bugs.

I can soooooo see a lot of accessory packs for a ST line too.

Aaaaaaaaaany chance I get to get a Clancy Brown figure, I'll take it. "The enemy cannot push a button...if you disable his hand!"

My dream license for them would be if they got into making the Classic universal monsters. I thought at a con last year (sdcc or nycc), Randy said something about being in talks with Universal. Plus, I think Phantom of the Opera is officially public domain as of last year.
I've considered this myself. See I own all the old Sideshow Universal Monster figures, got so lucky with that final wave of Dracula, Igor, and Red Death. That line has two major issues though. The early ones were articulated, though not all that well, but the plastic over the years because so brittle that I don't think I own a single one that's not had to be glued in some way. Then the later ones are basically more statues than figures. Then I also picked up some of the Diamond Select as well, some really great accessories in that. The Mummy in sarcophagus, Phantom with his instruments and optional heads, Then near the end of the line they re-did Wolfman, Mummy, Creature, and Frankenstein (though this one is the wool coat Son of Frankenstein version) and they're REALLY nice. Very articulated. But issue is, I ONLY got Creature and now they all sell for a pretty penny on the after market. The Diamond line was hit or miss for me though. Some sucked IMO, some rocked. It just depended. I cherry picked at it.

But no two ways about it, NECA would do the best of the three by far. Plus something I'd love? There are some characters that just never get made. I'd love to someday finally see a Dr. Pretorius from Bride of Frankenstein, Renfield from Dracula, Fritz from Frankenstein, Ardath Bay (aka The Mummy as he appears for the vast majority of the film) from The Mummy, Kharis (the other mummy post The Mummy) from the "sequels," and a few others.

Reaction score
I actually forgot about the DSTline. I have a few of them, but kept them packaged until I have the room for them. I regret not getting those re-do's because they looked great. I didn't get Dracula because he looked more statuesque and I thought I'd get frustrated by that.
I think it's reasonable to hope for NECA to get some kind of classics license because lately it seems like they're investing more into their horror licenses.

Reaction score
I actually forgot about the DSTline. I have a few of them, but kept them packaged until I have the room for them. I regret not getting those re-do's because they looked great. I didn't get Dracula because he looked more statuesque and I thought I'd get frustrated by that.
I think it's reasonable to hope for NECA to get some kind of classics license because lately it seems like they're investing more into their horror licenses.
The first few waves I thought were pretty lousy, but the later DST monsters were EPIC!

Wolfman.jpeg

This is their Wolfman 2.0 I'd argue it's the best Wolfman ever made. Perfect articulation, sculpt, paint job. Would be hard to beat. Sadly very expensive now.

Creature.jpg

Creature 2.0. This one I own and it's glorious. The detail is incredible and it's the first Creature I know of that you can actually put into swimming poses that look natural.

mummy.jpg

Mummy 2.0. Ignore the pose in the photo, it's pretty bad, but you can get him in exactly the proper pose and again, for my money, the best Mummy figure made to date.

Frankenstein.jpg

Frankenstein Monster 2.0 Now I'm conflicted on this one. It's a fantastic figure, but I don't get why they'd give the super articulation and better sculpt to the Son of Frankenstein monster over the original film. Still, if I ever find a deal on him, I'd totally pick him up. Also great retro-style mad science tech base.

Phantom.jpg

Here's one of the two Phantom's they did. This is the masked version and comes with awesome accessories. By this point, they'd already reached super articulation so this is actually the first version of Phantom, just he has a variant.

Phantom 2.jpg

And here's the variant. Might be the other way around, but this is a case when I think both are worth picking up. VERY nice figure. I wish they did the Red Death version.

2a486c0095ce18d8aaf3a6c0472bf97e.jpg

I was SOOOOOOOOO disappointed in their Invisible Man. They had the articulated buck at this point...and didn't use it. Plus the prototype came with an extra head when it's the bandaged head but without the glasses, nose, hair, etc. It was hallow and looked awesome. Such wasted potential.

They did a super random one, but I rather like it. It's Boris as Jekyll and Hyde from Abbott and Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. But the real stand out here, I think, is the base.

DSJekyllHide_Open.jpg

For Dracula, they so clear didn't have rights to use Bela's likeness. I remember Sideshow saying Bela's estate is really stingy with giving out his likeness, but finally they got it so this is the figure (more statue) I own. Really well done likeness.

4905_pd227267_3.jpg

DST did a number of others too, Hunchback (that one was nice), Metaluna Mutant (also nice, just not a big fan personally), Moleman (nice as well, just again never really considered them iconic enough to care about), Bride (nice but statue), and a lot of first versions of mainstays that aren't great but have nice accessories. The first Mummy has an awesome sarcophagus, I did pick that one up because it really is more intended to be a statue rather than figure.

6f5f870e-ed14-41be-86e6-ac4c10c146b8_1.0f1519942156f7ceca92acbe18929051.jpeg

But I def. do think Universal Monsters in the hands of NECA would turn out EVEN BETTER!

Another monster line they've been doing that I am LOVING is the Guillermo Del Toro Signature Collection. I'm REALLY hoping for the cockroach monsters from Mimic and some of the creatures from the Hellboy movies.

I'd also love to see things like Nosferatu, Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Metropolis, original Kong, Ray Harryhousen monsters, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have the Phantom with the organ, Dr. Van Helsing, and Lucy from the monster line. They did do one more Dracula that came with a wolf, but his legs had no articulation. I actually passed on the Son of Frankenstein monster because I didn't realize he had the articulation.

I havent picked up the Del Toro monsters because I actually haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth or the Shape of Water, but all those figures look GREAT.

Reaction score
I have the Phantom with the organ, Dr. Van Helsing, and Lucy from the monster line. They did do one more Dracula that came with a wolf, but his legs had no articulation. I actually passed on the Son of Frankenstein monster because I didn't realize he had the articulation.

I havent picked up the Del Toro monsters because I actually haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth or the Shape of Water, but all those figures look GREAT.
That Phantom is AMAZING! They killed it on that one. Both versions. I of course prefer the unmasked, it's more iconic, but it's neat to have the option of both. Such cool accessories. I would love to see NECA take on: Frankenstein's Monster, Bride of Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Creature, The Wolfman, Dracula, Hunchback, Phantom, Invisible Man at the very least. But there's a decent amount of variant looks and more obscure roles I'd love to see too like Renfield and Ardeth Bay.

A dream line of mine would be a Harryhausen line. I'd love a Cyclops, Hydra, Dragon, Skeleton Warriors, Medusa, Talos, Harpy, Ymir, on and on it goes.

Heck I'd even take a Gorgo at some point, the British Godzilla.

Would be a dream monster shelf. Then if NECA could just get those silent film classic monsters and such, I'd be thrilled.

Yeah Del Toro has to be IMO the finest working creature designer today, he's of the old school practical mentality. Famous Monsters, baby! His stuff is so hauntingly beautiful.

EDIT: And now I just though...OH MAN...imagine if they got Hammer films? Chris Lee Dracula, Peter Cushing Dr. Frankenstein, Oliver Reed Werewolf. AAAH! There's so many monsters, robots, aliens, and creatures I waaaaaant.

Reaction score
I wisj NECA would do the Maschinenmensch from Metropolis. SOTA or WETA or whoever did one years ago bit it wasn't even close to accurate.
Right?! Someone got me the SOTA one and I was appreciative, but I'm not crazy about it. I don't want some stylized one with all kinds of artistic liberties, though I can appreciate that sort of thing...just in this case, I just want the one FROM the movie.

Reaction score
I dilly dallied on preordering and just missed them on the site. But a friend who was picking up his pre-order at Gamestop grabbed me a 1990 TMNT Foot Soldier and Shredder. Still on the hunt for Splinter. These are so fantastic.

Reaction score
Yeah I have seen the Walmart Aliens figures. The thing that annoys me is they have to same Robo suit as the other releases in the Lanard line. Looks nothing like the power loader.

Reaction score
I dilly dallied on preordering and just missed them on the site. But a friend who was picking up his pre-order at Gamestop grabbed me a 1990 TMNT Foot Soldier and Shredder. Still on the hunt for Splinter. These are so fantastic.
one of our GameStops had 3 splinters last I checked. Not to interested in the n these. I like the toon more.

Reaction score
one of our GameStops had 3 splinters last I checked. Not to interested in the n these. I like the toon more.
I somewhat expected this wave to sell a little slower, the four turtles would obviously sell well, but for a casual collector, they're probably not going to drop the coin on Splinter/Shredder/a couple of foot soldiers. Albeit my buddy bought four foot soldiers, but he's a deep TMNT fan.

My Splinter from the website hasn't shipped yet (or the tracking hasn't updated) and I was out last night and found one in store... so now I have two I guess, haha.

The toon was my gateway to TMNT but the movie, I was 9 when it came out, to this day its one of my top 5 flicks of all time.

I've never been crazy about 7" figures, and generally that extra $5 per figure NECA charges vs most 6" lines chafes me, but for figures of this detail from the 1990 TMNT, I'll make it rain.

Reaction score
My 3 local Targets have not restocked any Neca since Bob Ross (and he only showed up at one store). Its pretty pitiful. Its like Neca gave up on this area. One store has a few hanging items left and then 3 completely empty shelves below. Makes me miss TRU, where I always could easily find Neca product.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
The Ash from Alien is superb; the sign posted had "not final size" or similar, so is it the 7" scale, or is it a quarter scale figure?

Reaction score
NECA won Toy Fair. Yet I am so torn what to get. I had Shredder in my hands yesterday, but the wife hated the $25 price. I would like to do a horror line starting with Halloween II yet the price for Lori/Loomis is nuts. I thought about Alien and Aliens yet I am so far behind that getting the rest of the line will be expensive. I also need to figure out if I want to finish the Alien reaction line when Aliens comes out this month or dump what I have to get the six inch figures.

I know I will get Jaws figures and They Live Piper. I also need to see if there is a Doc to the Marty. Just too much on top of the Joes six inch line and AEW coming out. My wallet needs a breather.

Reaction score
The Ash from Alien is superb; the sign posted had "not final size" or similar, so is it the 7" scale, or is it a quarter scale figure?
I'm pretty sure that was just the 2-up version to show off the sculpt. It seems to be the trend for them to show off a 2-up of a surprise character at a con for the last few years (at least in the alien line).

Reaction score
Yeah for some reason that extra five bucks NECA figures command (justifiably, but still...) stings for some reason. I'll tell you though, I LOVE the 1990 TMNT figures so much, once you've got the figure in hand they're worth every penny. If they made a figure of the guy bundling cables that said "1:07, a new record" to April as she left Chief Stearns office, I'd probably buy it.

Reaction score
Honestly, after holding the Shredder, I was like oh this is smaller than a six inch figure which go for $20. I may wait and see if GameStop has a flash sale. However, I think I may get her Casey and Ralph when they come out. For the last day is have tried justifying the Halloween II set and I can't. Neca also tend to find some of their stuff in $15 binds at FYE.

Reaction score
Honestly, after holding the Shredder, I was like oh this is smaller than a six inch figure which go for $20. I may wait and see if GameStop has a flash sale. However, I think I may get her Casey and Ralph when they come out. For the last day is have tried justifying the Halloween II set and I can't. Neca also tend to find some of their stuff in $15 binds at FYE.
They're 7" scale, so they're actually larger than Black Series figures.

Reaction score
Delighted with the ongoing Alien line. They now have the likeness rights to the entire cast of the first film - how successfully they translate those likenesses is subjective but at least we can now get the whole Nostromo crew as action figures. We still need Dallas, Kane and Lambert in Nostromo clothes but I'm sure they'll happen in time.

Hopefully they can continue to get new likeness rights for the Aliens cast. I believe a movie Drake figure will be coming next time they're revisiting the '86 film. We'll still be missing Gorman, Apone, Dietrich, Ferro, Spunkmeyer, Crowe and Wierzbowski. Although I wonder if it's a bit presumptuous to really think NECA will make all those - some of them barely had face-time on screen. I hope that doesn't stop NECA.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Yeah, me too- after SW, the Alien/Aliens NECA line is my favorite. If the Marines are continued, I'd be ok if not all were made; frankly, some of them are not uniquely different enough from each other. I'd be fine with just Apone and Drake.

By the way, does NECA still hold the Terminator and T2 license? Not counting video game versions, I have all of them except John and motorcycle. I think there were only 4 figures from the first movie? T-800 punk, T-800 club, Endoskeleton and Reese, correct?

Reaction score
They still have those yes. I'm up for any further movie-based figures from T1/T2 they could conceivably do. I'd also buy T3 and heck, T:Salvation figures from NECA but I don't think they have any interest. Terminator has been on the wane for a long time, not helped by Dark Fate which a significant amount of people hated. T1 and T2 are the only ones I like but as a toy-nut I'd go completist and buy from the other films too.

The first movie got Endoskeleton, Kyle Reese, Tech Noir T-800, Battle Damaged Tech Noir, Police Station Assault T-800, Tanker Truck pursuit T-800 and then later an Ultimate Tech Noir and an Ultimate Police Station Assault.

Going back to Aliens - they seem to be having particular difficulty trying to get likeness rights for Apone. And Al Matthews has since died so I don't know if that makes it more or less likely. It shouldn't necessarily prevent it ever happening though otherwise we wouldn't have just gotten a John Hurt likeness or a Harry Dean Stanton likeness.

Gorman is actually my next most wanted because he survived till late in the movie and I always liked his character arc. He would also look different from the troops with his officer-garb - and there'd be a 'battle-damage' option with the bandage he has on his head later.

Reaction score
Wondering the same thing about the awesome Jaws cloth figures. What’s Quint & Brody without Hooper. Guess Dreyfuss didn’t sign off on likeness rights.