NECA Blade Runner 2049

Reaction score
Can't believe no one had already started a thread on this but, NECA announced that they have landed the license for the upcoming sequel to Blade Runner; Blade Runner 2049! They "plan to release a full range of figures, die cast vehicles, replicas, games and more in 2017". Pretty exciting. I wonder if the extent of the license covers the original film as well? "Additional details will be revealed at New York’s International Toy Fair in February". Definitely something to look forward to!

Reaction score
God, please just give me a pkd blaster... That's all I want. maybe with a nice ennis house base stand?

Reaction score
If they do a line of 1:18 scaled figures, I may be interested. Haven't seen the teaser/trailer yet, so i don't know the look or concept of the new movie. But anything that combines western and space themes together can't be all bad. Right? Though I'm sure this one will be much more high-tech.

I'll keep an eye on it.

I can remember back a few years when a company got the license that encompassed the whole franchise. People thought they might do classic characters and they didn't. There are two lines I'm specifically talking about.

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm pretty excited about this announcement, but mostly at the prospect of possibly getting merchandise from the original film. If anyone can make the seemingly impossible happen (Ripley/Alien, etc.), it's NECA!

Reaction score
Really surprised at the lack of reaction to this announcement :\ I have been kind of leery of the prospects of a Blade Runner sequel ever since they started kicking the idea around but, after finally getting around to watching Sicario a few days ago, I am totally stoked to see what Denis Villeneuve does with this film. Though I've yet to see any of his other films, I hear they are all good.

At the same time, I still really hope that NECA getting the license opens the door to them making stuff from the original film as well. How cool would a Cinemachines Spinner be? At the very least, I'd love to see figures of Deckard and Roy Batty from the first film. A PKD blaster? Hell yeah! We see Deckard wielding it in the trailer for BR2049, so it's a distinct possibility.

Reaction score
I was a fan of the '82 Blade Runner film even before I saw the movie...since, as a kid, I read the superb Al Williamson-drawn comic adaptation and found it fascinating. I didn't see the film itself until years later (on VHS tape) due to it's R rating.

I have always wanted a line of action figures & vehicles from this movie - and, based on my research, outside of a few, small die-cast metal vehicles from the '80's and some more recent 12" Deckard figure(s), that's about it - there has never been an actual dedicated action figure/vehicle line. It's worth noting that all of these collectibles are quite expensive & HTF these days.

Hopefully the NECA license will allow for toys to be made from the original film, and not just the new movie. I actually created a thread back in 2011 (on this site) with a list of some BR '82 figures I would want, so here it is again:

Figures:

- Deckard
- Roy Batty
- Pris
- Zhora
- Gaff

Vehicles:

- Spinners (the flying cars) - they could probably make 4-6 different Spinners - maybe based on the die-cast vehicles that came out back in the day.

I'd also like to see the '82 comic adaptation reprinted - I haven't read this for years, and as far as I know it's never been reprinted - probably due to licensing issues.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The copyright holders to the original film are worse than anyone. there were almost no officially released props,or figures and likely never will be. A friend of mine approached them about doing mego-styled figs and they essentially laughed in his face with merely "we are not interested in licensing Blade Runner merchandise". if that was a 80's figure line i'd have been all over that.

Reaction score
What idiot would refuse licensing though? It's basically free Money, sit back and collect it! If you're worried about over saturation of the wrong product being made, that's what Contracts are for. It's more reasonable to assume they laughed at the offer made, like it wasn't enough. But to flat out say no, seems ignorant. Especially in today's market of making Money.

Reaction score
It's weird how certain niche, borderline mainstream films, have NO merchandise whatsoever. Present topic excluded, Mad Max being the prime example.

Reaction score
Pretty sure I read somewhere that George Miller retains the merchandising rights for Mad Max and just is not interested in having merchandise made for the films...he's kind of like the Anti-George Lucas.

Reaction score
The copyright holders to the original film are worse than anyone. there were almost no officially released props,or figures and likely never will be. A friend of mine approached them about doing mego-styled figs and they essentially laughed in his face with merely "we are not interested in licensing Blade Runner merchandise". if that was a 80's figure line i'd have been all over that.
Sorry to hear this story. Obviously, potential Blade Runner figures/vehicles would not be huge sellers like the SW figures have been over the years. However, if handled correctly & if aimed specifically at a collector's market, I can easily see a small line of figures/vehicles doing well & being profitable. The film is 35 years old this year, and if anything it gets more popular as time goes on. It's definitely got a following among sci-fi fans/Harrison Ford fans.

In fact, IIRC one of the special features of the 3-disk 2007 Blade Runner DVD release was a short featurette on the minimal BR collectibles out there; fans of the film/collectors were talking about how they would be interested in more toys.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Pretty sure I read somewhere that George Miller retains the merchandising rights for Mad Max and just is not interested in having merchandise made for the films...he's kind of like the Anti-George Lucas.
You are correct!
Yet in the hands of someone like NECA, I can't imagine GM would feel exploited.

Reaction score
It would be nice to see a handful of Mad Max figures by NECA - or another company that would do these characters justice. I would especially like to see characters from the below two films:

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) - my favorite film in the franchise, even though it was a re-boot

and,

Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (1985) - I feel this is the best original MG MM film.

Reaction score
Recently saw the first trailer for BR: 2049...wow. This looks like it will be an amazing film. I'll have to go back & re-watch the original prior to the October release of this new one.

Hope we get some new toys from both the original '82 film & this new one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's weird how certain niche, borderline mainstream films, have NO merchandise whatsoever. Present topic excluded, Mad Max being the prime example.
There actually was a line of Road Warrior figures made in the early 2000s by a company called N2. They're ok, not great.

Reaction score
Wow, just looked those up. Pretty cool for their time. Not sure how they slipped past my radar, but I have zero recollection of those.

Reaction score
Looking forward to the film, but I don't have any interest in action figures, though I might buy some diecast vehicles. I wonder if they'll be in the Cinemachines line alongside other franchises? Ideally, I'd like something closer to Titanium / Hot Wheels scale, but I'll have to wait and see what they are planning. I already own both of the Spinner collectibles that came with the DVD anniversary set and the Blu-Ray anniversary set, so if they released something in that scale, I'd be interested.

Reaction score
At best, we may just get the 2049 spinner with this film's DVD release, possibly an exclusive.

Reaction score
Well, the NECA press release states
The company plans to release a full range of figures, die cast vehicles, replicas, games and more in 2017.
so I think it'll be more than just that.

This movie comes out in October, really hoping we see something at SDCC.

Reaction score
Finally some news and a look at a couple of the figures! I think they look pretty good. The Harrison Ford likeness looks pretty spot on to me:

Hopefully we'll see/learn more about this line at SDCC. Still hoping for classic BR figures as well.

Reaction score
Well that looks nothing like Ryan Gosling to me but they have absolutely nailed Harrison Ford (no easy feat), I hope the final product looks that good. I would also be in favor of figures from the original film.

Reaction score
Same I want original figures from Neca soooo bad. I need Deckard,Roy,Pris,and Leon. And I wouldn't say no to a Daryl Hannah figure either.

Reaction score
OK, those new figures look great - the older Harrison Ford/Decker is spot-on re: the likeness - amazing.

However, my primary interest is in the characters from the original '82 film. I may buy figures from the new movie, but only if they also produce figures from the classic BR. I.e., I don't want to have collectibles from just the newer film.

This reminds of the newer X-files figures that came out in the past couple of years. They were based on the newer mini-series from early 2016, not the original 1993 - 2002 classic show. Since I primarily wanted Classic figures, I didn't get any of them.

I wish that these companies that came out with these new toy lines based on older properties would at least throw some bones to us fans who are primarily into the original material. After all, if it weren't for the original X-files series & original '82 BR film, these newer incarnations wouldn't even exist.

Reaction score
Many people feel that way, but often times, if you don't support the current releases, future products get halted. I bought the X-Files figures because I think they're pretty great - though Mulder was disappointing, so I had to customize a suited version that was clean shaven. I hope they get to classic X-Files as well.

As for Blade Runner - a classic Deckard in his trench coat would be hard to ignore if produced, but I have no interest in the new movie figures. I will buy the diecast vehicles though.

Reaction score
Yes, I completely understand your point. However, my interest in new Blade Runner & X-files toys/collectibles would only be there if there was also a line of Classic toys. I.e., I don't want a collection of toys/figures just based on the new material, i.e. the new X-files show & BR 2049.

In the case of Blade Runner, as has been said this has had a cult following over the years - and is now probably one of the most popular sci-fi films out there, despite the fact that it may not have made much of a splash when it came out in '82. So, over the years, there has definitely been at least a small demand for collectibles based on the film, even though very little has come out.

Even if we just got a series of small spinner matchbox-like cars from the original film, that would be better than nothing...

Reaction score
Blade Runner has a history with the public much as it does with my personal life. When I first saw it, I was a child. My father showed it to me and the prospect of Harrison Ford...in a science fiction film?! Oh my God! STAR WARS!?! Then I saw the film and was utterly bored. I completely hated it, simply just didn't "get it." Years later, I gave the film a new chance. It opened my eyes, suddenly all its philosophical resonance shot out at me and the lack of action almost made it...better. Certainly more cerebral. The depth blew me away.

Its history is much the same, utterly tanking at the box office and being almost panned and then rising to become one of the (if not the) most celebrated science-fiction film of all-time. It transcended the genre even and made it to the top 100 best films of all time list. It's really got a complex history that I think proves how ahead of its time it was.

I feel like a lot of people involved with the original film are the artsy fartsy types, probably stand against merchandising on the principle they feel their film is "better than that," others are "beneath them." I could see that. That old chestnut of what classifies as "selling out?" Truth is, their film is...largely...better (subjectively), but come on. Where's the harm in giving us even just a Deckard and Batty? Just one...please? Oh pretty please? =P

Last edited:
Reaction score
Both likenesses are really good! They also both have double jointed elbows, I'm really digging that on NECA's recent human figures.

The only cons I can find is that K's skin is a little shiny and they both could use holsters...

Reaction score
Nice find, AgentClaret :)

I know, the trenchcoat is different, but I am wondering if a simple headswap/repaint might work to get a kind-of classic Deckard ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nice to hear that the BR 2049 figures are out. But, again, too bad that we don't have figures and/or Spinners from the original 1982 film.

Years later, I gave the film a new chance. It opened my eyes, suddenly all its philosophical resonance shot out at me and the lack of action almost made it...better. Certainly more cerebral. The depth blew me away.

Its history is much the same, utterly tanking at the box office and being almost panned and then rising to become one of the (if not the) most celebrated science-fiction film of all-time. It transcended the genre even and made it to the top 100 best films of all time list. It's really got a complex history that I think proves how ahead of its time it was.
When Blade Runner came out in the theater back in '82, I wanted to see this - primarily because of "Han Solo" starring, as well as the cool sci-fi aspect - but wasn't able to due to being a pre-teen, and it being R-rated. I.e., I couldn't go see this in the theater without an adult, and no one was going to take me - LOL. Though, I do remember reading the great Marvel comic book adaptation w/art by the late, great Al Williamson.

So, I didn't see the film until years later on VHS tape. And, I was also blown away by this. Visually stunning, thought-provoking, and with a good moral lesson. The dystopian, heavily urban future Earth was very fully realized, and this remains one of the most interesting futuristic "worlds" I've ever seen in a film - despite the movie being 35 years old this year. It was interesting to see that Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer) wasn't a typical evil villain, but actually much more nuanced. The scene towards the end when he was talking about the "things he'd seen" as a replicant was sublime. I didn't expect to see him save Deckard (Harrison Ford) right before he died; this is definitely one of the most iconic endings in all of cinema.

And, I agree - it's interesting that a film that tanked at the box office on it's initial release gathered such a HUGE following over the years. It just proves that the film - though definitely dated to the '80's to a great extent - is still somewhat timeless.

I did see the movie in the theater when it was re-released back in 2007, not long before the "Special Edition" DVD/Blu-ray came out that December. And, though this was a great experience, this was a "Director's Cut" version that removed the Harrison Ford voice-over - which I strongly preferred. I.e., the original '82 cut of the film is still my preferred version - even though there are 3 versions out there at this point (at least), i.e. the '82, '92, and 2007 versions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
These are up on the TRU website as well - $20 is pretty reasonable, considering the Aliens line keeps going up in price. I don't plan on purchasing them, but I would like to know what ships they plan to cover, and when those will be released...

Reaction score
Random observation: My TRU had only 1 Agent K figure left, but hadn't sold one Deckard. That's really odd, considering Ford is the face of this franchise. Anyone else see this or another pattern?

Reaction score
Yeah, I found them at my TRU yesterday and they only had two Agent K's and about 6 or 8 Deckards. Maybe there are more Deckards packed in the case than K's? Seems kind of weird, since there are only two figures, but if that is the case (no pun intended), then maybe it is because Ford is the face of the franchise.