Naboo Pilot - WalMart Exclusive Wave

GNT

Reaction score
Coming in the WM exclusive wave is a "generic" Naboo pilot

Reaction score
Re: Naboo Pilots - Confirmed

I just hope one of the pilots comes with the trenchcoat or whatever that jacket was that some of them wore.

Reaction score

Hmm.. I'm not sure if Id have any use for these.. Maybe backround crew for the Republic or something? I'll wait and see.

Reaction score

The Pilots are okay and I'll get a new Ric Ollie, but I prefer the Naboo Guards.

Reaction score

EmperorPalpitate said:
The biggest peg-warmer of the Ep. I line. Yeah, he should probably be released in vintage.
I went into TPM thinking Ric Olie would be sort of the "Han Solo" of Episode I, only he pilots a snubfighter too--with R2-D2. The early pic of him in a ship had it LOOKING like R2-D2, despite really being R2-A6 (couldn't tell the blue was green on my computer I guess--or it was in B&W)

Then he turns out to be a guy that states the obvious, gets impressed by Kid Annie picking up terms for cruiser controls so fast, and...doesn't do much else. Survives the space battle. That's about it. Boring. And a bland figure, back in the days where 6 POA was the norm. He had a helmet, and a cool blaster in a line full of lightsabers... that was all he had going for him.

I like the look of the Naboo pilots, trenchcoats or not... but I still hate that space battle. Missing all the elements that made the OT space battles so good. No uniqueness to the different Bravo ships--no squad markings on the fighters, no unique helmet deco, not enough focus on the pilots like we had in ANH. And their enemies were just droids! If they were ships with Pilot Battle Droids behind the controls, with cockpit shots of them in their nasal voice saying "Cut to the left, I'll take the leader" "Roger roger", that would've added more to the whole scene.

Anyways... glad they're just gonna be single-carded versions! Save the multipacks for other battles (Yavin, more Endor, Thyferra, etc)

Reaction score

Toonimator said:
I went into TPM thinking Ric Olie would be sort of the "Han Solo" of Episode I...then he turns out to be a guy that states the obvious, gets impressed by Kid Annie picking up terms for cruiser controls so fast, and...doesn't do much else. Survives the space battle. That's about it. Boring. And a bland figure, back in the days where 6 POA was the norm. He had a helmet, and a cool blaster in a line full of lightsabers... that was all he had going for him.
Yup. Exactly. Lame character, lame actor. Unless this one is short-packed, it will reach the same epic levels of dust-collecting as the ROTS Clone and Sandtrooper.

Reaction score

On the other hand, let me offer a little tpm love. I don't know the naboo pilots' names, but I would love to see the black pilot and the female pilot, not to mention a basic trench-coated pilot. Never understood the hatred for tpm and I think hasbro is finally understanding that it is a bitter minority speaking out against it.

Reaction score

Darth_Broem said:
I just hope one of the pilots comes with the trenchcoat or whatever that jacket was that some of them wore.
This!

Reaction score

my_kind_of_scum said:
On the other hand, let me offer a little tpm love. I don't know the naboo pilots' names, but I would love to see the black pilot and the female pilot, not to mention a basic trench-coated pilot. Never understood the hatred for tpm and I think hasbro is finally understanding that it is a bitter minority speaking out against it.
I hope we see the female pilot as one of the pilots Hasbro puts out. I don't like the Naboo ships, but I think the pilots look cool.

Reaction score

YES! This is GREAT news. I've been wanting an updated Naboo pilot for a decade, now I'll get that, hopefully a few different ones. Maybe.

Reaction score

Agree completely - I think these are badly needed and will be most welcome!

And those complaining about the 1999 Ric Olie figure pegwarming need to step back and realize how different the assortments are today vs. 1999, not to mention just quantity produced.

TPM figures produced in the last few years have been very popular, and have been quick to disappear from the pegs. The 2009 wave, particularly the Gungan and Rum Sleg were borderline difficult to find!

So all you TPM haters let's leave the past in the past, and realize that we're going to see a different kind of marketing next year.

I hope we see the Guards, all three types, along with the pilots!

'78

Reaction score

If they're doing multiple pilots I think it's a pretty safe bet that the Naboo Figther will either be re-released or updated.

The old one isn't too bad, but they might want to gut the electronics. A working droid slot would be physically impossible, right?

Reaction score

That's what I was thinking! The only reason I'd need a pilot is if they release a new Naboo fighter for him to go in.

Those were cool fighters, even if they aren't OT.

Reaction score

I'd really like to see the Guards, Pilots (male and female), Ric Olie, Handmaidens, and Panaka.

Though I understand that Panaka might be a really tough one...

Additionally, any Gungans are more than welcome.

Reaction score

CaptainJack said:
If they're doing multiple pilots I think it's a pretty safe bet that the Naboo Figther will either be re-released or updated.

The old one isn't too bad, but they might want to gut the electronics. A working droid slot would be physically impossible, right?
Not if you use the BAD astromechs. Haha.

Reaction score

my_kind_of_scum said:
CaptainJack said:

Not if you use the BAD astromechs. Haha.
I was thinking about that. It would solve the leg problems, but would the hole be deep enough? I can't remember how thick the ship was there.

Reaction score

Since1978 said:
Agree completely - I think these are badly needed and will be most welcome!

And those complaining about the 1999 Ric Olie figure pegwarming need to step back and realize how different the assortments are today vs. 1999, not to mention just quantity produced.

TPM figures produced in the last few years have been very popular, and have been quick to disappear from the pegs. The 2009 wave, particularly the Gungan and Rum Sleg were borderline difficult to find!

So all you TPM haters let's leave the past in the past, and realize that we're going to see a different kind of marketing next year.

I hope we see the Guards, all three types, along with the pilots!

'78
My post wasn't slamming TPM at all, simply the character of Ric Olie, and the fact that his figure warmed pegs for years after TPM came out. I agree that the Gungan and Sleg sold fast (I myself picked up Sleg, even though I don't normally collect PT stuff), but they had the benefit of being interesting aliens, one of them long-requested.

I haven't seen a huge demand for Naboo pilots in recent years, but whatever. All I know is that I see the Endor troop hanging on the pegs all over the place, and that's a great army builder from an arguably better film. So what chances would a Naboo pilot have? That's all I was saying.

Reaction score

And I'd argue that the Endor Rebel is a carry forward - if they put the E1 figures out just once, then we ought to be safe.

Carry forwards are almost always a bad idea!

Reaction score

these are certainly welcome although i am not extremely interested in naboo pilots

Reaction score

This is good news. If only one pilot comes out I will be buying multiples to make a Bravo Squadron. I hope they can get the girl out at some point too.

Reaction score

Since1978 said:
Rum Sleg? I don't believe he exists. Someone made a custom and put up a lot of fancy pictures as if he was a real figure with packaging and everything, but... nope. Impossible. I only BARELY believe TPM Amidala exists, and the holo-chair Sidious, because I saw them at Rite Aid. But TRU and Targets in the area never got 'em. Too busy filling all their TLC pegs with Saga Legends to bother with ordering TLC.

Reaction score

Cool news. I really like the design of the Naboo starfighters and the outfits their pilots wear. Hope we get the trenchcoat version.

Reaction score

Gambit said:
Cool news. I really like the design of the Naboo starfighters and the outfits their pilots wear. Hope we get the trenchcoat version.
It's almost a given that they will put an SG trenchcoat in there so that we can have either version.

Reaction score

Toonimator said:
I like the look of the Naboo pilots, trenchcoats or not... but I still hate that space battle. Missing all the elements that made the OT space battles so good. No uniqueness to the different Bravo ships--no squad markings on the fighters, no unique helmet deco, not enough focus on the pilots like we had in ANH. And their enemies were just droids! If they were ships with Pilot Battle Droids behind the controls, with cockpit shots of them in their nasal voice saying "Cut to the left, I'll take the leader" "Roger roger", that would've added more to the whole scene.
Yeah, there was no tension or personality in that scene at all. It was quite pathetic, to be honest... and a lot of that was also missing from the space battle in ROTJ too, in my opinion.

The only space battle in the PT that captures any of that magic for me is ROTS with Anakin and Obi Wan.

Onto Naboo pilots though, I think with modern sculpting/etc., we'll see something cool. I think they need to have removable red coats made from a similar material as the robes on the Legacy Bail Organa:

Reaction score

CHEWIE said:
Yeah, there was no tension or personality in that scene at all. It was quite pathetic, to be honest... and a lot of that was also missing from the space battle in ROTJ too, in my opinion.

The only space battle in the PT that captures any of that magic for me is ROTS with Anakin and Obi Wan.

Onto Naboo pilots though, I think with modern sculpting/etc., we'll see something cool. I think they need to have removable red coats made from a similar material as the robes on the Legacy Bail Organa:
I agree about ROTJ; there was enough "Wedge as capable leader" and Lando & Ackbar chatter to give me some of the ANH-vibe, but mostly it was just face-shots of pilots dying, very few other lines or distinguishing features. "Wait, there's two Y-wing pilots shown? Huh... you can barely tell they're different... wait, no, THREE A-wing pilots? I know the dude in the Death Star is different, but what about the one that speaks--and apparently dies--when Wedge gives an order? That's NOT Green Leader? WHAT? It's a WOMAN?! With a man's voice dubbed in?! CRAZY."

Ahem... ROTS, if they'd had a nice big dogfight with a few different clones with their own callsigns (Red Whatever, Gold Whatever) as well as their names like Odd Ball, and if Anakin & Obi-Wan had been part of that, too, and maybe we had some IG-100s in Magnaguard fighters or some Separatist organic forces (just not Geonosians) in some cool new ships, it would've rocked... as it stands, tho, Leafy crying out for help and Anakin's wanting to help him didn't cut it, and Anakin & Obi-Wan's banter & flying was marred by A) Buzz Droids. Not enough dogfighting, too much 'hey little gremlins are eating my ship and my droid's useless, go get 'em Artoo!', and B) headbands. I hate them. I like the 2005 accessory Obi-Wan had, of course, but I just really disliked that Jedi were apparently soooooooooooo cooooooooool that they didn't need a pilot suit with life-support gear OR proper helmets. Just flimsy headbands with mics attached. C'mon, George, how could you not realize that Anakin & Obi-Wan in pilot suits would mean MORE TOYS and MORE MONEY?

Back to Naboo pilots... good idea! I actually really liked that Bail, just disliked his lack of knees & limiting skirt. That robe was pretty awesome... I've got it on my Evo Qui-Gon since it helps cover up his Giraffe Neck due to having a super-tiny head. And Jedi in blue robes are cool.

Reaction score

Very excited about this news! I hope they go with the generic pilot (i.e. no fu manchu)with the flight coat. This has been on my wanted list ever since TPM came out!

Reaction score

YES!!!!!!!!!!!
FINALLY!!!!!!!!
I think a lot of people that are haters of Ric Olie will still buy a SA Ric Olie figure if he is the one to be given the SA treatment. Actually, I'd prefere it. With all the troop builders being done as long as his head joint is the new standard socket, you can make a lot of different Naboo pilots as well as have Ric Olie...ALL IN SA FORM!!!! The Lando Smuggler head with a helmet on him I think would look a lot like the black pilot.
I would buy multiples.

Reaction score

Pilots....
My feeling...a rerelease of the Fighter with Ric Olie...
and a separate Trenchcoat version in the main line...

Reaction score

I know Ric Olie's character isn't the greatest, and yes, his figure in 1999 was a slow mover, but I'd probably get him as well as a trenchcoat pilot. They'd be great custom fodder for me even if I didn't want to just keep them as is. I like Chewie's idea for that softgood coat as well, a Ric and maybve one other pilot guy wouldn't be at the top of my list for "most wanted" but they'd be ones I'd buy. I don't think they'd fly off the shelves like a Boba or Gammy would, but they'd move, I don't think they'd sit too long or be a problem if they were one to a case with no carry forwards.

Reaction score

A basic pilot with trenchcoat and a head variant in a later assortment would be fine instead of another Ric Olié. I'd even have more naboo troops and officers before another Rick.

Reaction score

Yes, that trenchcoat would be great!

I would love to see Grizz Fix's uncle made

And of course Olie, and the female pilot with all their yellow astromechs ala TRU Endor Pilots pack

Reaction score

AaylaSecurasMan said:
And of course Olie, and the female pilot with all their yellow astromechs ala TRU Endor Pilots pack
Naboo, land of the Middle-Aged Fighter Pilots. Still, I guess ANH wasn't much different with Pops and Garven Dreis

But... yeah, we don't need so many yellow astromechs. Of course one of 'em could be R2-B1, back from the grave!

Reaction score

Toonimator said:
AaylaSecurasMan said:
Naboo, land of the Middle-Aged Fighter Pilots. Still, I guess ANH wasn't much different with Pops and Garven Dreis

But... yeah, we don't need so many yellow astromechs. Of course one of 'em could be R2-B1, back from the grave!
Experienced pilots my friend, let's call them experienced pilots

Reaction score

I think the reason for that is Naboo wasn't a militaristic planet for the most part, and the soldiers were basically volunteers something like a militia maybe.

So they got stuck with whoever was willing to die.

Reaction score

Masterfett said:
I think the reason for that is Naboo wasn't a militaristic planet for the most part, and the soldiers were basically volunteers something like a militia maybe.
That's exactly how I've always thought of the pilots and the various security footsoldiers of Naboo. They're regular citizens of the planet who have stepped up to defend the lives and rights of the rest of the citizenry from anyone who might disrupt the sanctity of life there. There have been military-style training programs set up to train the volunteers, possibly even off-planet help from worlds where a dedicated military is far more necessary.