Naboo N-1 Starfighter - 2012

Reaction score
I'm mixed... I've had the original for over ten years, and appreciate how clean it is (because it has no "extra" parts), but the details are soft, and are much crisper on the new version.

The ability to change the droid and have the canopy open is a major improvement as well. I don't think it would look out of place to display both in the same space, unlike the AT-AT or different versions of the TIE Fighter.

Reaction score
I have both versions as well. The 2012 version is light years ahead of the older one. The Astromech insert feature is PURE design genius! That alone is the most clever innovation in vehicle design since the start of the SW modern era in 1995. Add the movie accurate sliding cockpit cover and you have the 2012 VEHICLE OF THE YEAR! As a designer myself, the cleverness of the execution just blows me away. I honestly am not a big fan of Episode 1 era vehicles but it's the genius of the new play feature that makes this version one of the best of all time. Really.

Reaction score
What? Really?

I much prefer the removable astromech and new cockpit.

yea that seems to be the selling point on this for many, while I think though the dimensions of the 1999 release is more "screen accurate" as the R2 unit could not realistically fit, this is mentioned also on wookiepedia:

Doug Chiang has acknowledged that an R2 unit cannot physically exist inside the frame of the spacecraft as it is depicted in Episode I and later in Episode II. His original concept artwork did allow for the legs of an R2 unit to fit within the tube-shaped socket, but George Lucas directed him to make the socket tube diameter the same, or nearly the same, as the diameter of the droid's head, which does not allow enough room for the legs of the droid. A compromise was reached in the Episode I: Incredible Cross-Sections book which shows Artoo Detoo collapsing his legs and telescoping his head above his body until it was above the viewing threshold.
N-1 starfighter - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki

As far as the toy goes , the old one actually has more powerful looking laser canons(which you could always paint over) but most of the Star Wars vehicles have electronic stuff which I've grown sorta fond of, instead of the dinky looking blasters with grooves with no real weathering paintjob like the new one. The engines are larger and solidily built on the 1999 they dont have any gimmicky hidden missiles extending from outve the engine which are physically as well as commonsensically non realistic and just stupid. The new sliding canopy leaves too much a gap whereas the open/close canopy is much less visible and not annoying when looking it at for a long period of time. The new one has flimsy wings / engines that fall off too easily. The old one has a nice smooth streamlined belly. The R2 unit in this fighter being removed isnt all that important to me personally although of course its a neat feature to have, but much like for the V-Wing Fighter its good enough with just the built in atromech

Last edited:
Reaction score
I ordered mine from amazon for the amazing price of 25 bucks with free shipping. I snagged to of them. They never showed up at the Tuesday Morning stores we have. I love these as well. The open droid slot is really innovative. The funny thing is you place the droid in sideways. After reading the previous post I understate why. :oops:

Last edited:
Reaction score
These are showing up with the other ships in its wave at Great Canadian Superstore in Vancouver for $20.

Reaction score
Stunned to see the Naboo Fighter Pilot at discounter Tuesday Morning Strongsville for $15
Thought I'd never see this thing, frankly forgot it even existed...

Reaction score
After opening box to examine, have come to the conclusion I don't really need this thing - my old version is adequate
PM me if you want it for cost + shipping

Reaction score
Stunned to see the Naboo Fighter Pilot at discounter Tuesday Morning Strongsville for $15
Thought I'd never see this thing, frankly forgot it even existed...
Never mind, saw you post above.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I ended up ordering three from Amazon UK and splitting them with two other local collectors. The total was $33 each - exactly what it would have cost to buy them full-price plus tax locally.

Of course, Tuesday Morning had them the day they were delievered, but as far as any of us know, there was only one in the area.

Reaction score
Are these cases with the Naboo Starfighter making a return to Tuesday Morning stores? I saw a bunch of reports earlier this year, but then nothing until now.

Reaction score
There was a report on GH that these were on Amazon for $25 yesterday, but apparently I missed that price. I'm wondering if I really need this thing at this point. The droid socket will be fun to play with for about 5 minutes, and then it will just go next to the old one.

Reaction score
There was a report on GH that these were on Amazon for $25 yesterday, but apparently I missed that price. I'm wondering if I really need this thing at this point. The droid socket will be fun to play with for about 5 minutes, and then it will just go next to the old one.

It also has an all new cockpit and better deco IMO. Up to you. These were just on sale for 19.99 at Great Canadian Superstore in Vancouver area.

Reaction score
If this ship had been used at all in ROTS, we would be much more interested.

Reaction score
I saw a freshly stocked starfighter at the Oceanside TM today. Don't know if TM is re-shipping them again or not, but for what it's worth, this particular store never received any previously.

Reaction score
For those who didn't get a Naboo Starfighter yet - check your Toys R Us Express stores if you have one of those at your shopping malls. A friend of mine scored one the other day.

Reaction score
For those who didn't get a Naboo Starfighter yet - check your Toys R Us Express stores if you have one of those at your shopping malls. A friend of mine scored one the other day.
I went in one of those once and everything in it was priced 30% more than usual.

Reaction score
Spotted these yesterday at a recently opened TRU Express on the west side of Indy. They were priced at $19.99 and it looked like they had stocked 4 cases of the Naboo Starfighter wave. I picked up one for myself and one to give for a Christmas present. They had one remaining when I left.

Reaction score
Anyone want to recommend me a good astromech to put in my starfighter? I've just got a Naboo Pilot for it, wondering who to saddle him up with?

Reaction score
Anyone want to recommend me a good astromech to put in my starfighter? I've just got a Naboo Pilot for it, wondering who to saddle him up with?
I like to use R2-N3 (from the Royal Starship Droids set) since there's an R2 unit with the exact same color scheme seen inside one of the N-1s, and the green trim contrasts pretty nicely with the yellow.

Reaction score
R2-N3 matches R2-A6, which is Ric Olié's droid.

The generic pilot isn't based on any onscreen pilot, and the two different carded versions showed different actors, so no droid is correct to pair with him.

Personally, I prefer the slightly bigger body of the Early Bird kit R2-D2, or any droid based on that figure.

Reaction score
Meh, it's a combo that appeared on-screen, wasn't used by anyone named Anakin, and I like it. So unless the Trade Federation tries to blockade my house to force me to change it, I'm leaving it as is :) (even then, I've got a sizeable Republic force that I bet could break that blockade!).

Reaction score
Hi
Picked up one of these for Christmas - love it but I wee bit worried the ship hasn't been QC very well - when I lower the top half over a droid, in fact even when there isn't a droid figure in the slot the body doesn't "click" shut, there is quite a gap between the panels? Is it meant to snap shut? Sure I watched several reviews where it did come together better. I will add some close up pictures tomorrow to let you see what I mean
Thanks

Reaction score
Hi
Picked up one of these for Christmas - love it but I wee bit worried the ship hasn't been QC very well - when I lower the top half over a droid, in fact even when there isn't a droid figure in the slot the body doesn't "click" shut, there is quite a gap between the panels? Is it meant to snap shut? Sure I watched several reviews where it did come together better. I will add some close up pictures tomorrow to let you see what I mean
Thanks
I think I know what you mean and it's the same with one of mine. I'm ok with it though as it's only really a problem if you turn it upside down.

Reaction score
Maybe has to do with the kinda droid you installed? I used one of the Clone Wars animated droid units and it closes fine.