Naboo N-1 Starfighter - 2012

Reaction score
Confirmed via the Q&A at Imperial Shipyards, we have an "all new" Naboo N-1 Starfighter coming next year.

What do you think about the release? I'm surprised that it's not just a reissue of the original, as that was a pretty nice release for 1999!

Reaction score
I'm still not clear on what was wrong with the old one that they felt the need to make an entirely new one. Whatever the problem was, couldn't they have just retooled a part of it? It seems like a waste.

Reaction score
I guess we can count on a retooled cockpit. A working droïd socket would be a dream come true but i'm not holding my breath.

A sliding forward canopy would be good too.

Reaction score
cool,it needed an update.those soft engines would always warp.hoping for a droid socket

Reaction score
There are only a couple of things they could do to improve this already awesome ship:

• Real chrome plating

A cockpit which slides forward like in the movie

Exchangeable Astromech Droid Domes (include several)

Perhaps a latter which also works as a base to elevate the ship

Reaction score
As my old N-1 is long gone, I might get ONE. I actually like how sleek this thing looks.

Reaction score
That would be very wise of Hasbro, Orangepeace. They have shown a surprising amount of wisdom today. May they continue that.

Reaction score
Figured this was coming.
I am glad they are making a new one and not re releasing the old one. They can definitely improve on the old one and make this a much better vehicle now. Like others have said, an astromech slot is a must now a days...

Reaction score
I would have settled for the old one but gladly will take a new one. It would be easy to just re-tool it. They made the cockpit accessory for it with the pilot Anakin. Other than a working droid socket and the soft engines it was fine.

Reaction score
it's a bit of a shame this really. The 99 one is still nice. I refer you to my signature line below for something which is truly needed...

Reaction score
I'll be interested to see how they retool the Naboo fighter. I really like the first version. Perhaps a proper fighter would be bigger in comparison to the 3 3/4 figures?

Reaction score
TotalDominAsian said:
How much did the last one end up costing?
The Photo Archive says it was $30.

I paid $10 at Toys R Us, sometime in 2000. I got the Droid Starfighter 3-pack for $5 (originally $20).

Reaction score
Hmmm...Wonder if this "all-new" N-1 will have a Chrome-plated front?? Would love to see a working Droid slot, like in the DK Cross Section book

Reaction score
I don't think it's possible to have a working droid slot on this toy since it wasn't physically possible for the droids to be installed into the onscreen fighters without having their heads detached. They would have to fudge the design quite a bit to allow for any of the astromech molds to be placed inside. What they should do is just repaint one of the BAD heads like R2-D2 and include that, but keep it removable so that people can replace it with whatever BAD head they want.

I would love to see less rubbery engines and maybe a larger sculpt overall (Ric Olie was a pretty tight fit in the original toy). If they do actual vac-metalized "chrome" for the bottom of the toy, then this would be a definite buy for me.

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd love one of these ships!! Great design, & I always thought the old toy was lacking. As others have said, chrome paint this time, a reworked pilot section, & a droid compartment that either feeds the astro in from underneath so it's head can still stick out - or the swappable BAD head idea, & possibly a clear base to allow it to 'hover'.

Here's hoping anyway!

Reaction score
I think the BAD head idea would be great. It would give variety plus save the cost of having to purchase extra Astro droids.

Reaction score
I remember this Ship first time around in 2000. I got it for Christmas and I feel in love with it. My first Starfighter from Star Wars. I also got the Royal Starship. My two favourite ships from the Phantom Menace toy range.

I look forward as to how Hasbro top the original N-1 Starfighter.

I like the Chrome idea, but I wouldn't mind stronger plastic on the tip parts. and a slide forward cockpit would be amazing.

Please Hasbro, make my day

Ben

Reaction score
Well if I remember from the Cross Section, it showed R2 with an extension pole. So what Hasbro should do is make it fit the BAD mold and sculpt a telescoping pole that connects to the head to the body.

Reaction score
I never bought the 1999 N-1 fighter even though I always wanted one. Kicked myself numerously since then that the secondary market was my only option. But now I'm happy there might be a 2012 release for it. Fine by me if it's a re-release of the original, even better if it's new or retooled. Personally I'd love to see a touch of chrome on the ship but it's not necessary.

Reaction score
I missed out on the initial release. Would love to add this to my collection now. It is beautifully designed. Just hope the toy doesn't look too plastic.

Reaction score
The old version was damn near perfect.

My guess is that they are going to produce one that breaks down and fits in the standardized $20ish vehicle box so that it can be sold and shipped with the other vehicles in that range.

Reaction score
The R2-D2 figure in the background of the R5-A7(G8-R3)photo is a Build-a-Droid mold.

Law

Reaction score
I like the original version of this toy, but an update would be pretty awesome. Vac-metal silver, and a droid slot (with an included BAD so you can pop off the head to put it in place, a la the blueprints)... that would be fantastic.

Reaction score
This is one of my favorite ships from the whole saga and I didn't get the old one, so I might consider this, depending on price and epicness.

Reaction score
Ha, I was reading the answer to the question that confirmed the release of this vehicle and I found it kind of funny

Yes, Episode I in 3-D allows for a number of favorite vehicles to be added to the line. Sadly, the Royal Starship and Emperor's Shuttle did not make the list. But we think fans will be pleased with the line-up which includes a 100% newly tooled iconic vehicle. We would be sharing too much information if we were to say that it is a yellow starfighter that rhymes with shampoo.

Reaction score
Wait, so the new N-1 is an all new mold?

That's unexpected... but good news! I'm glad I'm not a betting man because I would have wagered that it'd be a retooling or a straight up repacking of the original. Now I'm looking even more forward to this release!!!

Reaction score
Yep, its a NEW mold and Hopefully it'll come with a slide forward window hatch, real sculpted controls, and an R2 BAD mold that goes in the fighter.

Reaction score
I wish they'd designed the N-1 better regarding the astromech socket... like, have the body sideways, like in the ARC-170. Then you can have that slim back, but still conceivably fit a full astromech in there. The "ship separates head from body" crap stinks (as does the gross suspension of disbelief with the AOTC starfighters' dome-only droids in thin wings actually being full astromechs based on R4-P17 and the deleted Temple hangar scene), and the various cheats used on the ROTS JSFs to make it seem like one could fit (while the practical full-size model had half of R2-D2 hanging out the bottom, deleted/obscured by ILM artists).

The OT made it look believable. "Oh, this droid rides in this starfighter, and that one over there. Okay, I get it." Then the PT comes along and goes "Hey, look, more ships with droids! You love 'em! You--whaddo you mean there's no room for shoulders there? Whaddo you mean that ship's too skinny from top-to-bottom to hold a droid? We're giving you new Star Wars, you ungrateful nerds! Look at all the CG and be amazed!"

Reaction score
Toonimator said:
(while the practical full-size model had half of R2-D2 hanging out the bottom, deleted/obscured by ILM artists).
Man, it may have been deleted, but it wasn't obscured. Check the back of your ROTS DVD, you'll see R4-P17's feet hanging out.

Reaction score
Heh! Not sure if that's really supposed to be her feet or if it's just a brightly-lit part of the ship's tower in the background... watching the opening fly-in of Anakin & Obi-Wan on Youtube, their ships flip a LOT and there's clearly no droid legs underneath 'em... best I can tell at this quality is that there's a boxy shape similar to what's on the Hasbro toy.

Reaction score
My guess is that they may release it with a generic BAD mold astromech. They may put a compartment on the bottom for the droid to be inserted up into and then you just remove the dome and stick it in the slot up top.