My "Vintaged Up" modern SANDCRAWLER interiors.

Reaction score
I've often been fairly vocal about my love for all things Sandcrawler on here and other forums. As a child, I coveted the Remote Control Sandcrawler from the very first moment I saw it on a cardback -- only to be given the Land of the Jawa playset instead by well meaning grandparents. (The horror. The horror... Indeed, I simply never recovered.) I kid, I kid. Actually, I genuinely LOVED that classic playset and it was only years and years later when I started recollecting the modern line that I first looked back in anger at my sad, Sandcrawler misfortune. This was added to immensely by the rather INSANE prices that the original Kenner version goes for on ebay.

So, from the get go of my collecting renaissance, I was hoping that Hasbro would simply reissue the original mold. I know, I know. It's TOO small. True. Very true. But this was my holy grail and I always wanted one so dang badly. Also, hey, it's a darn good mold. The sculpt and detailing is very, very well done.

So, when it was first announced, and those images first surfaced, I was thrilled... Wow, what a bang-up paint-job!! Then it was cancelled. (This still boggles my mind -- and I still think it would have been a smashing success for Target, but I digress.) Thankfully, it was saved by Diamond Comics, and though the price was a wee bit high... I remain forever grateful to them for putting bad boy out at long last.

When it finally arrived, I was truly blown away by the detail on the exterior! Indeed, the outside was better than I'd have ever hoped. And I didn't mind the lack of electronics as the battery hatch was now a cool secret compartment or, better yet, left open it gave the interior some cool depth and dimension. But otherwise... yeah. Yikes. The interior was rather BLAH.

Now I am no model maker by any means, but I took this up as a challenge. And so armed with vintage repro stickers I bought off the internet, I set to work. I also raided by figure accessory bin and the astute observer will surely recognize many of the items I repurposed to bring the interior of my Sandcrawler to life... I know, that the mix of plastic piece and stickers, is very toyish, but that's really what I was going for. Kind of a retro hommage to the old Kenner days.

Anyway, here are some pics. I hope you enjoy them. I did this sometime ago, obviously but only with my iphone was i able to get decent pics... :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Impressive-most impressive B)
Makes me yearn greater for a B.M.F. style Sandcrawler :\
Spencer?:>}
P.S.-Followed the linky from UR Yoda's Jedi Attack Fighter posting :grin:

Reaction score
Cool!
Can we see the outside too?
Looks like you have put some lights in?

(Handy for Darth Maul to have a spare lightsaber should he get in another tight spot on Tatooine! ;))

Reaction score
I truly didn't do anything to the exterior as I really thought Hasbro did a good job. I wish those WERE actually lights, but it's all fake. Those wires and whatnot were removed from a busted stereo... Sorry to disappoint...

Yes, I somehow have wayyyyyy too many Mauls and so he became a favored source of "pipes"... The Modal Nodes also must feel quite relieved to have such a vast array of spare musical instruments rolling around the sands of Tatooine for safekeeping.

;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is really cool! I like the parts you added. I too never got the vintage RC version but got the cardboard version (which I still loved!) I wish I could have found the Hasbro version at an affordable price.