My vintage loose collection organized by order of appearance/scene (many full-sized images)

Reaction score
New here and I am loving seeing all these collections displayed. Wanted to share some photos of my vintage loose figure display. 37 of these are originals from my childhood and the rest I collected through the 90’s and 00’s. Is my loose collection complete? Never. No blue Snaggletooth, but I’m not ready to shell out that kind of money. And I don’t plan on getting into variations as that seems to be a long road/rabbit hole and might make the display too cluttered, although I’ve seen other displays on here with variations that look great. I also have a few figures with the wrong color weapon and there’s my own attempt in the 90’s at a repro snowtrooper cape and maybe those will be corrected eventually, but overall I’m OK with what I have right now.

I have had these displayed in various cases over the years and always in production order, but recently I thought I’d try something different and organize them by order of first appearance (roughly) and grouped by scene/location. It always bugged me having the POTF grouped together with figures from all three movies and various scenes. So, for now this is what I’ve come up with.

These are wood barrister cases that I acquired years ago. Not perfect, but I’ve tried to make the best of what I had available. The bottom one originally had a solid wood front, but I modified that one and added glass to match the others. I also added the LED lights and had glass shelves cut to fit. I used dental wrought wire to fashion a holder/stand for the C-3PO bag and a stand for the carbonite block. The white background is just poster board. I had thought of using some other nicer material, but I’m holding off on that because I’m not sure I’m 100% OK with the cases.

Ideally, I’d maybe like to have one case with two rows of the SW figures, another case with three rows for ESB and then a third case with four rows for ROTJ and maybe all at roughly eye level along the wall. Although that might make for odd aesthetics going from 2-3-4 row cases on the wall. And thinner cases too as these barrister cases are pretty deep. The figures on the top row of the lower case especially are difficult to see and the front rows don’t get enough light. And I couldn’t move the light more forward as then the doors wouldn’t open properly. I might try to make some custom cases eventually, but not sure if I’m that ambitious.

As far as the labeling goes, I made the custom labels years ago, scanning old card backs to get the logos and some design elements (long before those images were readily available online) and then made a template from there to mimic the packaging labels. That way anyone could quickly see correct names and which ones came from which line. For the background images (I did those recently) I took screenshots of actual images from the movies (Harmy’s De-Specialized Blu-rays). That was kind of fun to try to find iconic images that I thought best represented various scenes. I then added scene names and movie logos. Most of them I had to lighten a bit as they were too dark when I printed them. This will continue to be a work in progress, but it’s at a point now where I felt OK sharing it. Enjoy, and thanks again for sharing all the other collection displays.

000.JPG000c.JPG01.JPG02.JPG03.JPG04.JPG05.JPG06.JPG07.JPG08.JPG09.JPG10.JPG11.JPG12.JPG13.JPG14.JPG15.JPG16.JPG17.JPG18.JPG001 SW.jpg002 SW.jpg003 ESB.jpg004 ESB.jpg005 ESB.jpg006 ROTJ.jpg007 ROTJ.jpg008 ROTJ.jpg009 ROTJ.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
What a BEAUTIFUL, clean display!! I love how you separate them by scenes within each movie too! Wow, seeing this I am actually shocked how many ROTJ Endor and Jabba's Palace figures there are!? Quite insane actually. When you consider Jabba, Amanaman and Salacious Crumb are missing, again that's crazy.

I also love those custom name tags, such retro awesomeness right there!! Just an excellent job. I could look at this display all day long :).

Reaction score
What a BEAUTIFUL, clean display!! I love how you separate them by scenes within each movie too! Wow, seeing this I am actually shocked how many ROTJ Endor and Jabba's Palace figures there are!? Quite insane actually. When you consider Jabba, Amanaman and Salacious Crumb are missing, again that's crazy.

I also love those custom name tags, such retro awesomeness right there!! Just an excellent job. I could look at this display all day long :).
Thanks very much. And yes, I have spent MANY hours looking at this display and many years looking at these figures before they were in this display. Ha!

True, so many Jabba's Palace and Endor figures. Thought it was better to break those up into sub-groups. If I would have left out Max Rebo's Band, the Jabba's Palace figures would have been less crowded in the case. So hard to decide where to draw the line on what to collect. The obvious temptation to "complete" the scenes, as you mentioned, would be the Jabba set. But then am I opening the door to other larger characters/creatures like the Wampa, Tauntaun, Dewback, and HUGE Rancor? All of which are great of course, but then display space becomes the issue. And then once I open the door to the larger creatures, well, I might as well add in the Hoth Probot playset, and well, while I'm adding playsets, I might as well add all the other playsets and hell, the vehicles too. And then I'm buying a lot more toys and a lot more cases.

Must complete. Must finish. No, no, must focus, stay on target. And so it goes - the internal struggles of a collector.

Also, regarding who goes in which of my groups, that has changed for me and may continue to change. I mean, the Death Star Droid, or a droid just like it shows up on Tatooine in the sandcrawler and the one on the actual Death Star is a darker version than this figure. But the name is Death Star Droid, so I guess that's why I put it there. But then Bespin Luke should be in the Bespin group, right? Well, I did have him there originally, but then Yoda was left all by himself in Dagobah. And Luke on Dagobah I think is wearing the same or similar outfit as the Bespin Luke figure. So he moved to Dagobah.

And of course it's odd that my Death Star group doesn't have Vader, Stormtrooper, Ben, Luke, Leia, Chewie, R2, 3PO. But in that case I went with first appearance over who was in a particular scene. I mean, I'd have to have an R2 and 3PO for almost every group if I went that way. But my order of appearance "rule" is also broken by having the separate "Jabba's Sail Barge" sub-group, as almost all of those figures appeared in Jabba's Palace before the Sail Barge scene.

Still, good fun and a good challenge to sort all of that out.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Reaction score
Still, a very impressive job. I love it! Was a nice trip down memory lane for me to see these figures in such detail again :).

Reaction score
Did you purchase the name tags or create them yourself? I love how clean it looks! I've always been in a quandary about how to display without stacking everything up... The problem for me however is what to do with vehicles/playsets?

Reaction score
Did you purchase the name tags or create them yourself? I love how clean it looks! I've always been in a quandary about how to display without stacking everything up... The problem for me however is what to do with vehicles/playsets?
Thanks. I did make the labels myself using MS Publisher and then printing them out on photo paper. I am pleased with the labels that hang over the edge of the glass shelves as they don't cover up the bottom portion of the figures like the lower level ones do. And the lower level ones tend to move around a bit too easily. I also wish these cases were just a bit taller as some of the figures do get a bit crowded, height-wise and cover up labels of figures above (I'm looking at you EV-9D9). But I did the best with what I had.

Reaction score
Great job! Love how you grouped the figures! Goes to show how many different ways collectors can display! Love it!

Reaction score
just going to show off a bit, many years ago i did a video, which changed the way we display our collection, the video went mad, i got a shop glass display unit, ever thing was a working sceen from the film, put leds in it,put star wars music on and video it, no one had ever done it before, i was on a pod cast and they said gary your going to change the way sw collectors display there stuff, and he was right, your the proof

You wait until i post mine,, yours is mint, mine will blow you away? hahaha only joking

Reaction score
just going to show off a bit, many years ago i did a video, which changed the way we display our collection, the video went mad, i got a shop glass display unit, ever thing was a working sceen from the film, put leds in it,put star wars music on and video it, no one had ever done it before, i was on a pod cast and they said gary your going to change the way sw collectors display there stuff, and he was right, your the proof

You wait until i post mine,, yours is mint, mine will blow you away? hahaha only joking
I look forward to seeing it. Sounds fantastic.

Reaction score
I look forward to seeing it. Sounds fantastic.
im not a true star wars collecter. in fact i dont want is..i collected star wars for about 6/7 months. got the lot apart from VJ and vix.. i got it all years before the new film came out..it cost next to nothing..gett rid very soon

Reaction score
I'm drooling through my screen admiring how MINT your loose collection is! Man that's one of the best figure displays Ive seen! Museum quality for sure!

Reaction score
Looks great. I love the cards.

I'm an electrician with a lot of lighting experience.

I think you will be better off pulling the lighting in front of the figures and not directly over them. LEDs still put off UV and this can harm them. I am doing the same however, my lights will be at the very front of the case with a small defuser to help with UV rays. Basically, it will look like the cabinet is completely lit, however. It's only the glass ..

Excellent display. Great work. I think you might be the first to display a broken apart 3PO in the basket. Classic!!,

May I ask where you found those footer cards..

Reaction score
Looks great. I love the cards.

I'm an electrician with a lot of lighting experience.

I think you will be better off pulling the lighting in front of the figures and not directly over them. LEDs still put off UV and this can harm them. I am doing the same however, my lights will be at the very front of the case with a small defuser to help with UV rays. Basically, it will look like the cabinet is completely lit, however. It's only the glass ..

Excellent display. Great work. I think you might be the first to display a broken apart 3PO in the basket. Classic!!,

May I ask where you found those footer cards..
Thanks. Yes, I wanted to put the lights more to the front, but because of the way the doors open, kind of like an overhead garage door, I had to move them more to the top middle to still allow the doors to open. But thinking about it now and what you said, I might think about moving them to the inside of the wood parts surrounding the front glass doors. Or I may work on putting together all new cases some time as I mentioned earlier. More to ponder and dream about.

Regarding the cards, I made those myself years ago as I described in the first post, scanning original card backs from each line of figures to get the logos and the graphics surrounding the names more accurate. I modified them a bit to clean them up (maybe with MS Paint) and then made a template in MS Publisher where I could then go back and type in whatever name I needed and also could alter the color behind the names as needed. I then printed them out on photo paper.

Thanks again for the feedback. You have given me more to think about regarding the lighting. And I have the lights on pretty rarely, so not terribly concerned about the UV rays for now.

Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, I wanted to put the lights more to the front, but because of the way the doors open, kind of like an overhead garage door, I had to move them more to the top middle to still allow the doors to open. But thinking about it now and what you said, I might think about moving them to the inside of the wood parts surrounding the front glass doors. Or I may work on putting together all new cases some time as I mentioned earlier. More to ponder and dream about.

Regarding the cards, I made those myself years ago as I described in the first post, scanning original card backs from each line of figures to get the logos and the graphics surrounding the names more accurate. I modified them a bit to clean them up (maybe with MS Paint) and then made a template in MS Publisher where I could then go back and type in whatever name I needed and also could alter the color behind the names as needed. I then printed them out on photo paper.

Thanks again for the feedback. You have given me more to think about regarding the lighting. And I have the lights on pretty rarely, so not terribly concerned about the UV rays for now.
You can. Use tape light. Very thin and shouldn't get in the way of the door.

Reaction score
Great display. Very sharp looking. I am really digging the homemade labels. You better hop on the variants sooner than later before they skyrocket, oh wait they already did. Do what floats your boat as long as it brings you solace. Enjoy my friend.

Reaction score
Thanks. I did make the labels myself using MS Publisher and then printing them out on photo paper. I am pleased with the labels that hang over the edge of the glass shelves as they don't cover up the bottom portion of the figures like the lower level ones do. And the lower level ones tend to move around a bit too easily. I also wish these cases were just a bit taller as some of the figures do get a bit crowded, height-wise and cover up labels of figures above (I'm looking at you EV-9D9). But I did the best with what I had.
Just saw this, youve done a great job printing those up.