My son's Star Wars Playset-update 9/1

Reaction score
Re: My son\'s Star Wars Playset-update 8/10

I just noticed. I logged in to update my photobucket account. I think most pics are back now.

Reaction score

A very late response to the floor, but I used a dremel to carve the floor pieces. I primarily used the thin wheel attachments that can be used on the tip of the tool. I would begin by working from drawings or concept art books from star wars in regards to the floor. I would measure and draw out the designs with compass and rulers using pencil along the plywood or MDF surface. Then I would go very slow and careful and etch the lines. I used this technique along the edge of the PVC piping as well. The paint job is what sells it though. After painting the main colors going back and distressing the surfaces seems to be the way to go. I used multiple shades of Gray prismacolor markers to layer more painting highlights and shadows into my paint jobs. I went with the markers because the small brush work was so tedious. These gray markers gave my paintings on the floor more depth. By marking along the etched wood lines in the floor and stuff, I was able to bump up the look of dimensions into the playset.

I have been finishing my basement over the last year and I think once summer comes around I might try to add another landing platform. I also want to find a more durable support for the Bespin Bridge thing. Since it is modular I took that part off for now until I can find a better support idea for that part of the structure. Hey, Merry Christmas everyone!

Reaction score

O...M....G!
With all due respect, when I read the title of this post, I was expecting some kid to have created a scene in a cardboard box or something, there was no way I was expecting to see something as amazing as this. This is by far the best diorama/playset I have EVER seen. Your photos really do it justice. Excellent piece, I am truly envious.

I like the snaps with all the different characters from each of the movies fighting each other (e.g Mace VS Stormtroopers, Bultar Swan vs the Fetts etc) Reminds me of the joy I & many others had creating our own battles & not caring about what was canon & non-canon.

You should be proud, and your son is a very lucky little boy!

Reaction score

Well, it looks like I will have to update the walker platform for the new At-At! I have never been to a star wars celebration. Empire is my favorite and my son would love to go. What is the event like? I live in Ga and would drive down with my son...

Reaction score

Amazing. Waooooooooooooooooooooow ! I wanna be your son

Reaction score
Love your huge set. I'm making a smaller on based on the vintage death star playset. It's about 30" tall (40" if you count the stand i made and rotates on a lazy susan from Home Depot.

Attachments