My son's Star Wars Playset-update 9/1

Reaction score
Re: My son\'s Star Wars Playset-update 8/10

To quote Zaphod Beeblebrox, perhaps quite aptly, "That really is truly amazing. That is so amazingly amazing I think I'd like to steal it."

Now my quote: Wow - I've got chills. Excellent, excellent, excellent work!!

Reaction score

Wow, this is an awesome custom! I love it! Why can't Hasbro make dioramas?

Reaction score

New update! Just a few more things to do and I think it will be done! My son and I decided to play today and we took some pics.

Enjoy! We will post some other angles once the batteries are chraged up for the camera. We set everything up then the batteries died, but we will post more once they are charged up.

Reaction score

Here are some pics with the lights on. Really cool stuff!

Reaction score

Some more great pics!

Reaction score

Pics of the "tortue chamber"...

Reaction score

It fits! (barely)

My favorite picture of all! It's almost done! Just have to paint the computer terminals or sticker them and adjust the stairs, and also I will put ceiling lights on the level over the carbon freezing room. The "torture chamber" area will double as Vader's meditation chamber. I am looking for a decent deal on the one hasbro made. I think it will fit in that area. I also want to get a few bacta tanks for the bottom floor to create the medical center. Once I have those I will complete the ground level and fix them into the aesthetics of the playset! For now we are playing! So technically it is not finished, but we are close!!!!

Reaction score

This thing blows the Ultarama display system completely out of the water. If this were sold as a modular playset you'd be a very rich man. I would definitely buy all the levels to make one.

Reaction score

I've been watching this thread as you've added more and more to the playset and it's awesome. It may be the single most beautiful Star Wars toy I've ever seen!

E...

Reaction score

I love the custom dioramas on this site, but yours is my all-around favorite.
It's versatile enough to be used in several applications (from PT to OT; from Imperials to Republic to Bespin), yet true to Star Wars -- nonspecific, yet definitely in-universe.
I'm inspired to build shelving in my son's room that will emulate this style. I'm hoping to integrate an elevator in 4"PVC, but don't really know how to do that yet.
Fettsei, you really rock!

Reaction score

I want to play in your basement. Like, today.

That is a marvelous piece. The kid's face must be all smile. I just have to keep my own kids from seeing this, lest they think i could build one just like it!

Reaction score

Here are some pics to help for the elevator...

I used a wooden dowel and drilled a tight fit for it to slide through. I carefully drilled a hole through the dowel and tied heavy fishing line according to the length of the elevator shaft. I did not drill into the 4"inch pvc pipe itself. Instead, I bought a seperate pvc flange which slides into the the pvc pipe. I drilled into the flange and this allowed me to take apart the elevator with relative ease.

I hot glued key pieces of wood to hide the flange, then I created some foamcore architecture designed to slide on and off the edge of the circular wood piece.

For the elevator car, I used 3" pvc pipe left over from the carbon freezing chamber. I dremeled the opening to the proper height using chewbacca to accomodate for the taller figures as well. (Yes, Chewie I think they did have wookies in mind when they built it!) I used a battery powered tap light for interior lighting which is velcroed to the ceiling to allow me to change the batteries over time. I hot glued (high temp)the top and bottom of the car with some old stainless steel desktop containers that my wife was no longer using which happened to snuggly fit the 3"pipe. Finally I hot glued and sanded a wood top to allow me to attach an eye hook to attach the fishing line.

This approach may appear a bit complicated but it really is straightforward. But the several steps involved give you an idea of why creating this may take some time. You can also see that to create the closing elevator door I had to construct the foamcore structure that fastens to the front. I was not clever enough to make the door actually work with the circular confines of the pipe so I built more door architecture in front of it. Hope this helps!

Reaction score

Hey everyone. Thanks for the nice comments and I really am thankful for all of the teaching and helping at this website.

Reaction score

Well, this thing is just astounding! Brilliant work! You son will remember this for the rest of his life.

Reaction score

Wow fettsie it is fantastic!The photo of yur son pondering where to begin is a classic (thats what I would be thinking anyway)!It really has been worth the wait my friend to see this truly excellent playset/diorama!!
Of course looking forward to the grand finale!!

Josh

Reaction score
Re: My son\'s Star Wars Playset-update 7/14

Darth_Tedious said:
Just jaw dropping! That is the most fun looking play set ever!

The only question I have for you is have you and your wife ever considered adopting a grown man?

(hint-hint)
Me too! I'm not too big and don't eat too much. I also make money and have reliable transporation!

Reaction score
Re: My son\'s Star Wars Playset-update 7/14

Simply amazing. You sir, are a master craftsman and a kickin' Dad to boot! I just love the design of the whole thing, how it's so evocative of Star Wars and yet not tied down to any one location. As is it could be the Death Star, Naboo duel room, Bespin/Coruscant underlevels, Mustafar, or any landing platform anywhere. Bravo sir, Hasbro would be wise to take note.

Suggestion, if you were to do a similarly shaped structure painted white, it could make a great upper level Bespin or Kamino type locale. Red paint and material that mimics stone would make a great Geonosian hive/droid factory. Or, perhaps try your hand at the Ewok village? The design and shape you've stumbled upon just works so well for the Star Wars universe.

Reaction score

So how much do ya want for it?

I have an extra 500th Vader if you still need one.

Reaction score

What's the thing on the floor in the right (next to the Falcon) going to be?

Reaction score

This is absolutely amazing. I've never seen anyting like this. The design is so original but still is very star wars. Your son is a very lucky guy!

Reaction score

awesome

the details, the scale, the whole concept is pure genius

your son is really lucky

thanks for sharing

Reaction score

This is freakin awesome.

Did I read it correctly that this is now displayed in his room?

Man, I need a new dad,

Reaction score

Hey, these are pics from our new addition to the project a backdrop cloud city-esque painting (unfinished). My son and I have made some action figure movies and that is what got us started on this whole project. We wanted a backdrop for our movies. So I looked at Mcquarrie art and decided I would paint a cloud city backdrop. This is a first pic test. I think it looks cool so I thought I would share. I still have to finish the painting which is about 4x3 feet. We will use it for a background for the landing platform. I will do a bluish one as well for the lower levels.

Questions-the smaller structure is an unfinished air tower, the playset is modular and can be moved anywhere in the house though it does take about 10 minutes to take apart and then reassemble. It is not in my son's room. It is too big. It will see some time in the family room on saturdays and sundays - football!

Reaction score

You have really exceptional painting skills fettsie!This just gets better and better! It will look excellent with a bluish background down lower! You should one day also paint an endor landscape IMO, I am sure you could pull it off and the playset would look great amongst a giant tree and forest background maybe you could even paint the the large shield generator dish in there also somewhere like they must of done for the movie!!
Top notch stuff fettsie!
Josh

Reaction score

painting done!

Got more done on the walker platform too. Stay tuned for more!

Reaction score

WOW! Really nice photography and lighting. The painting looks great. This is really a nice project.

Reaction score

Wow!! I thought those were live-action stills loading at first! Very nicely done!

Reaction score

Here's a view of the stairs. I have cut some foamie to use as a decorative piece to cover the imperfections on the stair walls. I think the side walls need to have some foamie work to hold up to the scrutiny of the filming that we plan on doing. I have been working on a more traditional blue sky (referring to mcquarrie work)to change up the background for the different moods that will happen in our film. I am still working out the story line and plan to incorporate some stop motion. In the meantime my son has been playing away. He loves to do set ups, and I enjoy it too. So here are a few more to enjoy until the next update.

"]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q63/fettsei/thedraw.jpg[/IMG][/url]

Reaction score

Dude! I wana play!

Just awesome stuff! great work