My son's Star Wars Playset-update 9/1

Reaction score
My son\'s Star Wars Playset-update 9/1

Hey guys,
I have been working on my son's playset. I still have much to do. I hope you guys enjoy what I have so far...

This is the main overview.Top level landing platform and bespin bridge thingy, level 3 detention and mechanical, level 2 carbon freezing/throne room, ground level medical/mediatation chamber.

Top level landing platform leads to functional elevator (manual pulley turn)

elevator entry from landing platform - again everything is unfinished - there will be a sliding door here for this entry

close up of elevator door (opened via fingers)onto detention level

pulled back view of entry to detention level

prisoner's approach to detention cell...

prisoner placed...poor leia:(

cell door closed

Carbon freezing level,

taking the plunge...

aftermath...

I started at the end of march - thought a couple of weekends - yeah right - the artist in me just can't let go - I work when I get a chance but that requires getting up extra early before the work day begins...guys, there is much left to do.

I am using all kinds of materials. PVC, Plywood, masking tape inserts, mailing tubes, dremel, foamboard, etc. I drew the design out first and sat on it for a few weeks in February. My son and I talked about what he wanted and then I have attempted to incorporate all of those things into one playset. Due to its size, it comes apart in sections so that it can be moved around to different places around the house in or outside. That single factor is why it is taking forever! It's like a huge puzzle. It will be played with so I have had to build with that in mind. There will be other aspects such as a walker platform and another landing platform. Stay tuned....

Guys seeing the work here made me inspired and I hope when I am done I see someone else take on something like this!

Oh yeah, sorry about the pics, I am trying to get the hang of this new camera, plus taking pics of small things is harder than I thought...

Reaction score
Re: My son\'s Star Wars Playset-Darth Vader\'s Base

Impressive work!
Are you an experienced customizer/ diorama builder?
It looks very professionally executed.
Must be a lot of fun.

Reaction score

a few more pics

looking from one level down into another

aerial view of landing platform

vader's ship thanks to jawa workshop guy, my son saw that and was like, "that's awesome!"

Reaction score

this is REALLY cool i wish i had something like this as a kid.. dont know where i could have put it with all my other toys but i would of made room

Reaction score

I love the scale and look of the playset, and I love your dedication to your son.

Can't wait to see the finished set.

Reaction score

Can I be your son for a while?

Seriously though, looks great.

Reaction score

THAT is friggin' awesome! Excellent work, finished or unfinished!

Reaction score

Wow, I love it! This is really creative and looks like it belongs in the SW universe. Nice job!

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score

Damn! The lighting is superb! I love the weathering too. Wow, I can't wait to see more from you

Reaction score

Damn thats too cool.

Reaction score

Man, Vader has one awesome base. I'm jealous!

Reaction score

I love seeing playsets (as opposed to dioramas). Great color scheme, great detailing. All the fun play factors are there. It kind of reminds me of an evil vintage ewok village.

Also love the scene set-ups...Han and Chewie surrounded by clone troopers...just kicks off the imagination!

I would have loved to have played with this thing!

Great job, looking forward to more additions, and c'mon, now the good guys need a base too!!

Reaction score

Hey guys thanks for the nice compliments. Yes making this has been fun and at times frustrating. I love to draw and I have always-since being a kid loved "the art of" Star Wars books. I gleaned through every book I have when I began planning this thing out.

When I was a kid I had the death star playset and spent hours at a time playing with that. So I used that structure and approach when I began to design.

I found several shapes that were prominently used in the Star Wars universe. I tried to be aware of blending some different environments into one structure to keep the Star Wars feel. Since it was Vader's base I thought, this is his base during the destruction of the Jedi. I used the imperial symbol as a design motif. That lead to incorporating a circular theme through the build. And then I found the shape of the executor's windows being used in many star wars vehicles so I incorporated that. I have also had to think about materials in planning this thing out. The circles led to pvc pipe as materials. Which after bringing those into the design I felt that some of my build echoes the theed lightsaber environment somewhat. I planned on building my bespin bridge thingy like the movies, but after building I decided to keep it circular to stay with the design of the build. Bottomline whenever I go to add a new section I keep all of my books out alongside my drawing.

My son wanted the base to be red so I used Palpatine's quarters as a starting point.

But I think recognizing the concept art from the books has helped preserve and guide me through my project. I have never really noticed the intricacies of architecture until taking this on. I have really learned much as I have gotten into this.

As you can probably tell from the build I too am just a big kid. So when I build this I am thinking back to when I was a kid and I keep saying to myself, "If I was a kid what would I wish was in this playset?"

The good news is that my son is soon turning 5. So he will get many years out of playing with this thing. That is another factor that keeps me going through the frustrating times. Thinking 2d and thinking 3d are really big shifts when it comes to creating.

It's one thing to draw it on paper and quite another to build it in the tangible world.

You see I thought with all of the planning I would knock this thing out. But then I ran into all kinds of things like, oh I have to paint this before I permanently glue this in place and I have to get that done before I create the working mechanics of this door... but it has been fun.

I have been encouraged by the awesome work here and I just want to say thanks again for all the people who have contributed to sharing ideas and the whole star wars stuff.

I will post more pics once I get further into this.

Reaction score

Muftak Your death star playset is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! How did you do your imperial computers at the detention area? What materials and sticker approach? Fantastic stuff I love it! Very inspiring - and all of your other shelves are thought out well. I love the different themes. What a cool way to display your stuff!

Reaction score

Totally awesome mate!!! I wish I had the room to try something like this! I love the colours it gives it a really sinister feel to it!Hope your son and his mates enjoy it!

Reaction score

This thing looks like so much fun. I LOVE that it's your own design. The detail is unreal on the detention cells and elevators. Great work. I'm sure your son is going to have an excellent time.

Reaction score

our kids are very lucky when we can spend the time and setup great diorama's for them to play very cool

great job
andy

Reaction score

You get extra points for using a toilet flange as a carbon freezing chamber!!

Jason

Reaction score
Re: My son\'s Star Wars Playset-update 6/30

Yeah, Toilet flange, that's funny I knew it was a plumbing piece but was not sure...I assure you it's clean....ha ha

anyway here are some updates...

above is a shot of work in progress elevator tower to the landing platform

here is another view of the elevator tower

here is with figures to give a sense of scale

another view from below

So as I go sometimes I find cool unexpected things. For example I picked up the wrong piece and placed it to my tower and was like oh wait a second...and then I went in a different direction. Some things I like some I don't. If I think I can edit the playset easily then I will do it, but if I find I got too far into a section, I just go with it. I have drawings that I did but the playset has changed a great deal from the beginning.

Reaction score

It might be a little starbucks-spaceneedle-ish but is it star warsy?

Reaction score

Fettsei its awesome,your son is really going to have a great time!I think your approach is a good way to go,it is always better seeing how things work in relation to the other pieces and chopping and changing what you do and do not like!
This is just going to be great when its done,are you thinking about putting handrails arond the edges,maybe in some areas this could work really well and help divide the set into even more sections if you know what I mean!!

Reaction score

Definitely. I was intrigued by it when I first saw the wide shots. I didn't know what it was...until now. It could actually fit in for the roof of a building from Coruscant or even Cloud City.

Reaction score

yeah,
I have thought about handrails and I think on some parts I will use the technique the Jawa Shop guy used on his tie fighter shelves. Basically wire/metal hangers or I guess you could use sculpture wire. Probably will use them on the top level. My son sometimes plays with the set while I build. Some parts I will not put the handrails until maybe later, because he rests his arms on the sides as he is reaching in and playing. The bespin bridge thingy though will for sure get the rails! I initially thought about using quarter rounding to highlight the side of the landing platform and try to do the platform Kaminoish style. But Quarter round might be a little larger than I want-

Reaction score

This is incredible! I don't know if I'd allow my kid to touch it! Hahaha, no really, I'd love to build stuff like this for my own kids someday.

Reaction score

This reminds me of one of the missions from Jedi Academy. I think it was on Bespin.

Reaction score

Wow, that looks GREAT. Huge! Imaginative! Cool!

Rails are for wimps. You never see 'em in Star Wars.

I bet there are tons of lawsuits.

Amazing dio, extremely original!! Great stuff!!

Reaction score

the color scheme makes it look a lot like Utapau. You can just add some skeleton parts to the landing platform and you'll have it down!!!

Reaction score

This is too cool! You have some great design and building skills. I'll share your pics with my 5-year-old, but I hope he doesn't expect something like this from me! Thanks for sharing your project with us!

Reaction score

Wow, this is easily one of the coolest projects that I've seen, made all the more impressive in the sense that it's being made for your son.

Reaction score

Outstanding!!! Insane! I love the many pieces you've brought in with this. I was wondering if there would be a walker platform, then I saw one of your coments above. I guess one thing to keep in mind is not building up so high that your boy can't reach the top! LOL!

Seriously, I am so looking forward to seeing more of this. It so reminds me of stuff I would have tried when I was a kid. Granted, it wouldn't have been ANYWHERE near this cool, but I cobbled together an aweful lot of cardboard back then... <sigh>.... Kids today... No imagination. Lucky for them they have Dad's who still remember!

Spyke

Reaction score

Are you worried your son might accidentally knock it over or fall on it? Or can the playset stand up to that? (Do I sound more worried about the toy than the child?) By the way, how old is he?

Reaction score

yeah, the playset is pretty solid, except for the bespin bridge part that juts out. I have to reinforce the stability on that sucker. Even though it breaks down into pieces this thing (playset) is really stable. Plus my son is really good with taking care of his toys. He already plays with it and it's thrilling to see him use it! The top level is just beneath his shoulders so it fits him well. Now if I can just get all these things finished up....

Reaction score
Re: My son\'s Star Wars Playset-update 7/9

here is the ceiling of the "torture chamber"

looking through that chamber to the throne/carbon freezing chamber

slight update behind the throne - more to come

walker platform phase 1 of the building process - stairs will go to carbon freezing chamber - maybe another elevator here

looking down to the walker platform from the top level

top level update - working out the air traffic tower

another shot

looking down from bespin bridge thingy

last shot for today - sorry about the pics I am convinced my camera is crap...well you know it is probably me too...:)

Reaction score

I wanted to add this shot of the ceiling - having fun - now if my son and I can stop playing with the playset maybe I can get it done...

Reaction score

i love comming back to this thread and looking at this set and its improvements, really good work

Reaction score

What a lucky kid!
If only my son had a father as cool as you.

-theropod