My Pop-Up Playsets

Reaction score
That looks great!
I would do the next two buildings over and then the outside of the Bounty Guild (really long window). With the last one, you can make 2 versions: normal and shot up.

You could even make a 2 pack of the narrow building towers so people could space them out some more.

I'm glad to see you made some barrels. Have you considered making the taxi?
No plans for a taxi (or any vehicles really, unless I am going to kitbash one just for myself)

I will make you halfway happy with the deluxe version anyway...

Mando and Child Preview.jpg

(Really proud of how the big window turned out!)

Reaction score
So a little while back I gave the "reward" to the customer who posted my 1000th positive feedback point on eBay of picking the location depicted in my next "Pop-Up Playset." He chose "Padme's Apartment Balcony from "Revenge of the Sith."

I couldn't help laughing. In hindsight it is a brilliant pick if for no other reason than, except for this one opportunity, there was no way in a million years I would have otherwise tackled that scene.

He also requested/suggested a suspended balcony, which immediately told me he was looking for something in my somewhat standard design that goes all the way back to the Emperor's Throne Room set. So I went ahead and made the thing, to the delight of Prequel fans everywhere. (Now the only films I don't have a display from are Rise of the Skywalker and The Attack of Clones.)

Here are the initial results:

PApt First Look.jpg

The first attempt left me feeling a little iffy. I checked with some friends (who appreciate ROTS a little more than me) and figured out the balcony accent colors ought to be more pastel than bold, and the suspended balcony didn't feel like it tied in to the rest of the playset enough. Also, to my eye, the skyline was too dark and monochromatic. So I did some redesigning and came up with the final look.

Apt Left Upper Small.jpg

Apt Empty Head On Small.jpg

I solved the problem of the upper balcony by bringing the columns to the forefront, it really turned the whole thing into much more of a three-dimensional space as opposed to just a backdrop.

Apt Betrayal Small.jpg

The colors got better on the final too--you can even see the diaphanous curtains behind Obi-Wan now! I made it an inch or so taller too, between iterations, to give the figures some room to live under the upper balcony.

I was even happy to realize I had some figures on hand to display with it.

Full Set w Figs 03 small.jpg

All in all, making this set was a great exercise in building something on spec, without that usual flame of inspiration or personal desire I tend to rely on to get me through these projects. In the end, I did end up getting excited about the project as I tackled the design issues and did things I hadn't done before.

Thanks for looking!

Reaction score
That's awesome! I had wanted to one day do something like a 'Streets of Coruscant' playset with a few key buildings (Dex's Diner, Senate building, Jedi temple, etc.) and her apartment was one of them. It's great to see sets like these that are little more obscure but add a little to the 'real-life' feel if that makes any sense.

Reaction score
I have bought a few of you items on eBay, but I didn’t know you were back on and missed that balcony set. Any chance you would do more? I love any thing from the prequels and especially corosant.

Also any thought on some pieces for under the carbon chamber?

Thanks again.....beyond love your stuff. I wish I had an ounce of your talent.

Reaction score
I absolutely LOVE the Detention Cruiser playset you have for sale on eBay! It’s perfect!

Reaction score
I was completely inspired by the recent "Droid Depot Droids" 5-pack being sold at the Disney parks to do my first Galaxy's Edge pop-up playset. It is slightly more daunting to build a real world location as opposed to a movie set.

Here's a picture from one of the parks of the life-size quintet on display for your reference:Droid Depot small.jpg

And here's my display of it:

DDepot 07 small.jpg

(I also built the fencing pieces out of black chipboard strips.)

The set itself has a zigzagging backdrop that simply slots into the printed base.

DDepot 02 Small.jpg

And from there you can put together a fun day at Batuu.
DDepot 08 small.jpg

DDepot 10 small.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Utinniii

Reaction score
I think you can buy cardstock that has that punched hole pattern. If not, there is fabric that looks like that.

Have you ever looked into getting a paper cutting machine, like a Cricut? It might give you new vistas to explore.

When I can afford one, I'm not sure which I would get, the paper cutter or a 3D printer. Both have so many uses.

Reaction score
Thanks!

I would definitely get a 3D Printer first, just waiting it out to be a smoother resolution on the consumer side.

I have looked at a Cricut, it has the potential to help out with both cutting and embossing, but formatting the computerized cuts to the prints is a hit-or-miss proposition because of tiny differences between sheets of cardstock. If it gets misaligned the end result would be unusable, so I stick with the precision of the hand and eyeball for now.

I will definitely fix the fence in the future to be accurate, this was a last minute solution. Probably use a hand hole-puncher

Reaction score
This is one of your best pieces! You’ve been improving the “3D” quality of your work with just about every release, and they all have so much life!

Reaction score
The newest pop-up playset is one I have been percolating on for some time. Death Star Turbolift Hub.

Turbolift Hub 01.jpg

The hardest part was deciding the footprint of the thing. Eventually I came to the decision that it needed the hallway in the back, a hint of the chasm, and the railing piece to "sell" it as the location. To get all this in, I had to sacrifice one of the three turbolift tubes and cut the display back to two.

Hub 02 small.jpg

This may be the first piece I've constructed that doesn't have a designated "front" side. It works equally well from two different viewpoints.

Hub 01 small.jpgHub 04 small.jpg

By far the hardest piece of engineering here was the railing. I had to thicken it out as it's constructed of cardstock like the rest of the set, and even still here in the prototype the end-post gets a little skewed. But the curve of the chasm is included and all in all the whole thing works for me pretty well.

The turbolifts themselves a re simple cardstock inserts that tab into the flat wall of the backdrop in such a way to make them curve around into semicircles. The hallway beside/behind the turbolifts is just a shortened section to give the suggestion of the rest of the station. I sweated the details of the weird panel above the doorway trying to get everything there right, though I have no idea what the heck it is supposed to be.

Hub Preview 3 small.jpg

I am really very pleased with this one, one of my most "movie-accurate" looking chunks of film set so far! Thanks for looking!

Reaction score
Referring to what you posted on Facebook consider poster sized designs that you can easily mount to the backgrounds.

ya good stuff is coming:)

Reaction score
Referring to what you posted on Facebook consider poster sized designs that you can easily mount to the backgrounds.

ya good stuff is coming:)
The poster sized prints have been around for a little while now. I've done a few of them...

LF Tatooine Print.jpg LF Cantina Print.jpg LF Death Star Hangar Print.jpg
LF Hoth Print.jpg LF Cloud City Print.jpg LF Endor Print.jpg

One customer had me do a SIX FOOT TALL Death Star II Hangar wall. I think it crossed the threshold into wallpaper...

.Hangar On the Wall.jpg <---Stormtrooper and Emperor figures for scale! Hangar Detail.jpg

trent hangar bay bigger.jpg

Reaction score
Holy hell that is awesome. I’ve been wanting to do something like that (though not as tall and wider) for my DSII dio. Beautiful work!

Reaction score
I debuted a new display yesterday for fans of "May the Fourth be with you" day. I finally got a completed "Docking Bay 94" backdrop fully built up.

DB94 05 Small.jpg

This thing has been a work in progress for 2 years. I kept getting stalled out on levels of complexity and modularity. When I tried to build everything out things just wound up costing too much to build to be able to offer it to others at a reasonable cost. Eventually I came to terms with simplifying the pieces as much as I could to make it an affordable item.

I had a breakthrough last summer with building materials as well, and suddenly I was able to do huge pieces that led to this thing getting the proportions it deserves.
I built up 4 panels total at 20" wide by 17" tall. When combined they make a display that is around 5 feet wide, though the pieces go together using hinges that allow you to open it up or close it tighter depending on the display space it is set up in. I kept alcoves in the two central panels recessed with a bit of cardstock construction so that action figures can interact with the display a little more dynamically.

DB94 09 Small.jpg

DB94 10 Small.jpg

DB94 11 Small.jpg

DB94 18 Small.jpg

And that's about it. It is pretty modular, you can mix the panels around or only use 2 or 3 in tight spaces. You can also add more panels and really widen it out. Shorter ships look good in it too...it will probably look great with the Razor Crest parked inside.

DB94 23 Small.jpg

DB94 08 Small.jpg

Like I said I tried to keep the pieces simple, the real value of the display is its scale and all the detail I could cram in there. It was really nice to photograph--the printing is done on a polyvinyl material that has absolutely no sheen to it and just looked great no matter the angle. I am going to get a lot of use out of this design aesthetic in the future...I think up next will be a big Echo Base Hangar set-up using this recipe.

Thanks for looking!

DB94 21 Small.jpg

Reaction score
I am always impressed with your efforts, this is truly amazing! And the setup in that last photo is just fantastic, a vintage lovers dream, worthy of being used on a poster. Just. Beautiful. :eek::love:😲

Reaction score
I have one of the DS shield generator how does the material compare & can this larger piece be attached to pegboard or other material for those of us with high humidity basements. :unsure:

Reaction score
I have one of the DS shield generator how does the material compare & can this larger piece be attached to pegboard or other material for those of us with high humidity basements. :unsure:
This piece is made of 4 individual pieces of chipboard--it's typically described as what board games are made out of, but it is really the core of the board game (most are wrapped by some other material.) It is substantially thicker than the cardstock I typically use for the smaller projects. The two recessed alcoves are constructed of that usual cardstock...but the structure doesn't depend on them at all.

The material would do fine getting mounted on something thicker like pegboard or masonite if you wanted to really bulk it up. I tested my concerns with having it set up 2 weeks (also in a high-humidity basement as it happens) and there was no sag in the pieces--probably helped by the velcro-attached hinges that keep the pieces together and act as a second layer of support. (The worst part was having it sitting there looking awesome for 2 weeks and not showing it off until May the 4th!!)

I am always impressed with your efforts, this is truly amazing! And the setup in that last photo is just fantastic, a vintage lovers dream, worthy of being used on a poster. Just. Beautiful. :eek::love:😲
Thanks! I love that last shot too...I had a friend with a set-up like that using Friar Tuck as "not-Jabba" and I bought the figure a week back just to be able to recreate it. It's so fun!

Reaction score
It is the Solo split-apart version. I keep that, the X-Wing, and the BMF all close together and it is for my money the best match scale-wise to the other two.
Ah, gotcha. I have one of those...for some reason the one in the picture looked like it had larger yet nicely scaled wings. Yeah, I think that's a good version of the tie..and would like to get another.