My Pop-Up Playsets

Reaction score
I love the evolution of your style! Making the playsets even more dynamic with attached rooms is a great idea and I'm all for making things connectable. The details on your graphics are astounding to say the least. All those discs in the superlaser control room for instance - this kind of thing really makes the playsets pop. The interchangeable cards for the death star are a grea idea!

I'm looking forward for more :)
Thanks, man! The interchangeable card idea I used on my first Death Star diorama back in 2003...

And I have always been fascinated by the "wall of a thousand dials" in the Superlaser Control Room, so it had to be in my version!

They look great. Instant modular playsets.
Have you ever tried printing on black cardstock? It would hide the seams better. (I've never tried it myself so I don't know if it works.)
I haven't, but I can't imagine it would be possible without a specialty printer, since normal printers don't have a white toner or ink cartridge. Printing programs leave white areas as blank (that I can confirm from having printed on acetate to make the clear parts of viewscreens.)

I used to take the time to hit seams and edges with a Sharpie (or even a paint marker to color-match the print) but I've gotten lazy and unapologetic over the cardstock basis for these things. If the end user wants to do that, it is their option and I have suggested it to people who've been worried about it.

Reaction score
This is simply awesome. I love it, glad you are back at it and worked through one of the things customizers and dio makers sometimes suffer through with a bit of burnout. Keep at it.

Reaction score
Thanks yodashizzle. It was 50% burnout and 50% too much on my plate. Trying to even that out these days.

I went back to the classic template to do a tribute to "The Phantom Menace." It is my first prequel playset. Design and engineering wise this really broke no new ground, but it was fun getting the background image and the base image for the iconic scene...

I had two different backgrounds for this that I couldn't decide between for the longest time. I went with the one above more because of the symmetry of the plasma columns and how it matched up better to the image on the base. This other background I will probably use for a 6-inch Black Series version down the road:

Thanks for looking!

Reaction score
Awesome work as always, Muftak! And I really dig your Tantive IV and Overbridge, as well. The new Tarkin looks great with it! Any plans to return to Vader's Castle in the near future *wink wink*? Seriously though it's always good to see more of your work!

Reaction score
Awesome work as always, Muftak! And I really dig your Tantive IV and Overbridge, as well. The new Tarkin looks great with it! Any plans to return to Vader's Castle in the near future *wink wink*? Seriously though it's always good to see more of your work!
Thanks! Vader's Castle totally burned me out with all the little details, plus it was going to use some engineering that I hadn't done before, and have been able to work the kinks out of in some other designs beforehand. I will go back to it someday, but it got shelved when my time got short. Right now I'm elbows-deep in building a Docking Bay 94 backdrop display made to be compatible with the '08 BMF as my next "big playset." As for these pop-up playsets, I think the next will be a Mos Eisely alleyway...

Utinniii

Reaction score
Hey, you ever need a sounding board let me know.

Just in case you have never seen this, here is the Mos Eisley stage plan.

The design is quite clever. Essentially, after selling his speeder, Luke walked towards DB 94, turned left, left again (street with sitting woman, also where the droids hid), left (where Garnidin talked to the troopers) and finally another left to the DB 94 doorway.

You could totally make this modular.

Reaction score
Hey, you ever need a sounding board let me know.

Just in case you have never seen this, here is the Mos Eisley stage plan.

The design is quite clever. Essentially, after selling his speeder, Luke walked towards DB 94, turned left, left again (street with sitting woman, also where the droids hid), left (where Garnidin talked to the troopers) and finally another left to the DB 94 doorway.

You could totally make this modular.
That's great, thanks man! I can look at that and see exactly how to cut it up into three sets with simple 3D back walls that can combine into a large (and scene-accurate, if not screne-accurate) area. This has really gotten me excited about the next step.

Reaction score
Thanks! Vader's Castle totally burned me out with all the little details, plus it was going to use some engineering that I hadn't done before, and have been able to work the kinks out of in some other designs beforehand. I will go back to it someday, but it got shelved when my time got short. Right now I'm elbows-deep in building a Docking Bay 94 backdrop display made to be compatible with the '08 BMF as my next "big playset." As for these pop-up playsets, I think the next will be a Mos Eisely alleyway...
I completely understand, man. Working the kinds of hours we work makes it difficult to take on big projects like that. When I finish my DS, my next project will be very small, comparatively speaking :) And a Docking Bay 94 for the BMF would be sweet! If you end up doing one of those, hit me up and I'll get one for sure.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Street layout.

Just for giggles, here is how I figured out the set. I was discussing it in a group and only after I figured everything out, someone gave me the plans. It was still fun to figure out though.

Luke leaves the Speeder lot

They turn a corner. The pails and plant on the wall are good markers

They enter this street. The vaporator bottom makes another good reference.

The vent and round thing in the front show the corner.

This intersection is where Garnidin talks to the troopers. It is the Speeder lot on the right.

Finally, home again, home again, gigy-gig.

nd a tiny map that had all the doors drawn.

A

Reaction score
Thanks again. I started grabbing images from StarWarsScreencaps last night, working my way through the alley and whatnot. I had already pegged that dried plant as a landmark...the vaporator base is great too, it shows up a lot!

But now I am torn about making a good self-contained playset/diorama, and making a figure-sized recreation of the set that breaks down into several pieces. I think in the end I might have to do both as separate projects using the same elements. Here's how I would break down a set-accurate trio of backdrops:

with each color-coded area being its own separate piece that when displayed together in the correct configuration create the set. The orange triangular piece would be in the front, with one wall of the alleyway being the forefront of the piece. The purple wall and green wall would meet in the back to make it immersive.

The more compact playset/diorama would be a much smaller L-shaped back wall with some 3D doorways and a small triangular building at the front to create the same effect of two intersecting alleys behind it.

I am enjoying planning this out right here in the open. Please feel free to leave more feedback and suggestions. We'll see how far this can go!

Reaction score
I completely understand, man. Working the kinds of hours we work makes it difficult to take on big projects like that. When I finish my DS, my next project will be very small, comparatively speaking :) And a Docking Bay 94 for the BMF would be sweet! If you end up doing one of those, hit me up and I'll get one for sure.
Here the proof of concept version I made of the DB94 Display I made in the spring:

The whole thing will be assembled from columns and spacers forming a semicircle, or really as many pieces as you want to commit to. The next picture shows the height in profile against the BMF out in front.

I was excited that even as bare chipboard cutouts, it was already working as the intended space when photographed as a figure backdrop:

I didn't build all the pieces I needed for the proof to encompass the BMF as much as I will for the prototype proper. Here's a birds-eye plan of what the whole thing will do:

And here's the teaser image I posted of the texture work so far. (Han is there for scale, I do a lot of Photoshop drawing with a scale model in there like that.)

Utinniii

Reaction score
I wonder of Han feels a cold chill of premonition standing next to those iron teeth things.

I like your 3 part layout, and you have an opportunity to have it link up with your DB94. Just make one that is double-sided with the interior and the other side having the exterior doors.
I also think you can make accessories of the vaporators and the cubes. People would buy them.

Reaction score
Mos Eisely Alley

So here is the "Mos Eisely Alley" Playset I whipped together:

As I was designing, I couldn't figure out a way to do the "building" at the front of the playset to allow an alley to go through the back at this scale. It definitely got me more pumped to try the expanded 3-piece version down the road. So instead, it became a "secret room" at the back with a removable door panel:

The middle piece is a separate insert, which tabs into the attached backdrop itself. In the future, this could easily be swapped out to create a different playset with a completely different look.

The alley sort of bends around the playset, and offers neat corners (with details on the interior front walls) to set up a couple mini-scenes. Here's the front left corner:

One of my favorite parts of this set is the very front walls with the fun cutouts to give the place a little more depth. And the doors on those side walls are reflected on the outside of the playset as well, so even this set can be made modular down the road (no pun intended.)

Finally, here are some shots with figures and accessories set up inside:

I really enjoyed using the cutouts while taking pictures!

I am toying with another version of this one to compliment the DB94 backdrop that I hope to finish up in August (complete with the 94 wall) and some other version of the center insert from this layout. And I'll come back to this eventually to do the big, more set-accurate diorama version.

I think the next Pop-Up Playset I want to do is a Death Star Cell Block Corridor, with cell 2187 and alternate setups with either half the hallway (looking like the old POTF2 playset, but longer) or the ability to fold that wall back on itself so that both walls are parallel to make it more of a "look down the corridor" diorama.

As always, thanks for looking!

Reaction score
I made another concept proof of the Docking Bay 94 set, this time a single archway with all the details applied.

It's built out of chipboard with paper decals applied. It was, unfortunately, a lot of work...and there would be 4 more sections like this to a completed set! I am going to go back and see how well it assembles with simple printed cardstock, and maybe go from there. I'm disappointed, but...man, I think it's beautiful!

Everything scales really well with the figures, too!

And I enjoyed taking this thing outside and doing some natural-lighting shots. It was a nice morning for it!

Thanks for looking!

Reaction score
These are awesome! Love the falcon docking bay. I would have so much fun playing with these, lol.

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I am really excited about this set...it has been a really long time since I made something big, and this is shaping up to be my biggest set ever.

Reaction score
There's a deceptive simplicity about these which is beautiful, these took a lot of thought and execution which is far from simple. You make straightforward displays that have so much versatility. And there's height in what you do, especially in the Docking Bay and Bespin displays which is something that I think is an overlooked element for dios. I love the fact that the walls have great texture and verticality. Really looking forward to seeing what else you come up with.

Also love the reference shots through this thread, Utinniii manages to post some of the best available. Some I've seen before but they look clearer and many are shots I've never seen before.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's looking beautiful so far! For something like this, since it's a background piece, card stock might work alright. Maybe you can find a way to give it extra supports or something. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Utinniii

Reaction score
That is looking great. I want to see 10 of them put together for a massive diorama. For personal use (not for the one's you sell), I'd add a thin roof or a hip-height ledge at the top which would give you another whole level to play with.
Imagine the crossfire situations that could happen.

Reaction score
Getting around to finishing up the "Detention Cellblock" Playset I set out to build. It's totally different than anything I have built before.

(Pardon the image quality...I think the textures printed a bit too dark and this thing was a pain to try to photograph...)

It is designed to be modular...I am going to make a bunch at once and line them up for a long hall, and also do some that face each other to give the double-sided setup. I'll have to put an end piece at the end of the hall to complete it, but they are going to be great!

The playset has a door that opens to the left-side cell. The door swings up on a hinge at the top of the wall, and can stay open by lying across the roof of the cell. It was hard to figure out, but it worked out great!

It is the first tiem I feel redundant, this is very similar to the POTF2 playset that I have adored for years...but the big difference is that one was never meant to be a modular piece and this one can be. I can't wait to have a bunch of them to set up together!

Thanks for looking!

Reaction score
Oh sure, line a bunch of thooose up but not DB94. Whatever.

Seriously, they look great. I would consider 2 backgrounds for the end of the tunnel version; clear and smoke filled.
DB94 is coming...there is only so much grease-stained concrete a person can draw before his eyes start to bug out...

I have been on a Death Star kick lately. Well, honestly I have always been on a Death Star kick, but lately I have been making just plain old Hallway Walls--inspired both by the fact that Galactic Trading Post got a Star Wars license (and because of that ironically had to stop making them) and the really cool Imperial walls that SpectreOne posted a while back:

But I really wanted to see a Detention Hallway too, to do something no one else had pulled off yet. The engineering it entailed lent itself to a full-blown playset instead.

I also did some Cloud City Hallways, but started that project in the 6-inch scale since GTP really covered the Death Star angle well in that scale:

(I had to farm that last image out to a friend/customer due to my severe lack of Black Series figures, but it's fantastic!)