My Pop-Up Playsets

Reaction score
The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantatio
Muftak, what is the likelihood of recreating the cardboard Sandcrawler and AT-AT from the Kenner playsets? I'm sure there are a lot of plastic bases laying around since many of the cardboard pieces aren't built to last 40 years.

I'm sure it would be quite a challenge to design.

Reaction score
Muftak, what is the likelihood of recreating the cardboard Sandcrawler and AT-AT from the Kenner playsets? I'm sure there are a lot of plastic bases laying around since many of the cardboard pieces aren't built to last 40 years.

Thanks for the question!

As for replacement cardboard for the old playsets, there is a UK company called "Replicator Boxes and Inserts" that does exact replacements of all the playset cardboard pieces, as well as the boxes, and just a ton of great stuff including boxes for stuff that was never made. I have been tempted several times to pick up their Bespin repro.

As for me, I tend to do stuff that hasn't been done or twists on the classics, like these:

I struggled like crazy last year to figure out how to fit a cardboard Wampa Cave onto the old snow base and make it a fun toy, but eventually gave up. Maybe someday...

Utinniii

Reaction score

ou can download them for free from Erik Stormtrooper. Save and print as printing from the site has scaling issues.
Y

Reaction score
I received my first order and I'm impressed. Easy to assemble and the Velcro squares are much better at holding it together than tabs and slots.

I grabbed some figures I had out and hastily threw something together to add some pictures to this thread. Eventually I'll dig through my bins to really bring these displays to life.

Reaction score
The final confrontation many fans wanted to see in TLJ. Personally I'm satisfied with the ending we were given but that's what's great about Star Wars is we have the figures to play out the "What if ..."
Great, you're one of the first to get that Crait set, it looks good with all the Last Jedi figures I don't have! Thanks for sharing the pics!

And we must have been in sync last night, because while you were setting up your "what if?" scene, I was setting up this one...

I will definitely pick up a Crait Luke when they make one...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Love that meme Utinniii, consider it stolen.

@Muftak, my Crait set is marked as #2. Just came in yesterday. Start grabbing to TLJ figures at Wal-Mart for $5. At least in my area they are.

I don't have the maskless Kylo so you're one up on me.

One of the next ones I'd like to order is the Jedha set. Looks like you're almost out. Once it's gone would you print more?

Reaction score
One of the next ones I'd like to order is the Jedha set. Looks like you're almost out. Once it's gone would you print more?
Yeah, if you want one, that is your last chance to buy one from me period.

The last "Jedha Revolt" set is up for sale now, #50 of 50. I am kind of beside myself that I am closing out the edition. I will not be making anymore of them after this. I thought selling 50 of those was a pipe dream, but here we are. Maybe there will be a secondary market someday...

I put #50 up for auction and started it at a dollar. I am really interested to see where it goes.

Reaction score
I tried looking up your stuff on ebay before, but didn't have any luck. Found this one and am watching it, and also have you saved. Once again, great work!

Reaction score
Thanks for the question!

As for replacement cardboard for the old playsets, there is a UK company called "Replicator Boxes and Inserts" that does exact replacements of all the playset cardboard pieces, as well as the boxes, and just a ton of great stuff including boxes for stuff that was never made. I have been tempted several times to pick up their Bespin repro.

As for me, I tend to do stuff that hasn't been done or twists on the classics, like these:

I struggled like crazy last year to figure out how to fit a cardboard Wampa Cave onto the old snow base and make it a fun toy, but eventually gave up. Maybe someday...
Actually, I thought they were very good. You made quite a nice job on those.

Reaction score
Thanks for the question!

that backdrop for Tatoonie looks sweet...

as far as the Wampa Cave concept... I'd go with a similar design of the AT-AT and make the cave part pop out over the snow base similar to the Cardboard AT-AT. you could even do a double sided insert that shows maybe just an empty cave and the Tauntaun skeleton and the other side shows the Wampa either approaching Luke or sitting eating the remains of Luke's Tauntaun. you could make a small piece on the cardboard that has foot holes so the luke figure can be hung upside down

Reaction score
Yeah, like I said I worked at it for a while and couldn't see a way to make it work. I was trying to preserve a back area for a Wampa figure, a front of the cave where Luke hangs, and a cave mouth to open up onto the playset base.

It was before I had done any of these Pop-Up Playset designs, though, and I think I've come a long way in what I can do in a 3D space, so it may be time to revisit it soon. The cave might work by itself along the lines of the shadow box displays I have been working up lately, and then as a bonus it can line up with the vintage base.

Thanks for the input!

Reaction score
Here are pictures of the "finished" Cantina Alcove shadowbox display.

Han and Greedo are in seats from a resin chairs & table set I bought from Empire Toy Works. Thanks Rodger!

This is what is was all about: creating a Cantina display that can go on as long as you like, with areas out front and inside for little mini-scenes to be posed. Like I've said before, there will be other modules to go along with this basic version. I am really happy with how it turned out.

The next thing on my radar is the "Death Star Duel" shadowbox, which I had thought would be the same basic footprint as this with different details, but I am finding out the scene will take a much bigger box to pull it off with more scene accuracy. Which is a weird territory for me to get into, the last thing I've ever worried about with my playsets is replicating the movie dimensions, but for this stuff it feels essential. Always good to step outside my comfort zone and grow a bit. I'll update when there is something to see!

Thanks for looking!

Reaction score
Here are pictures of the "finished" Cantina Alcove shadowbox display.

Han and Greedo are in seats from a resin chairs & table set I bought from Empire Toy Works. Thanks Rodger!

This is what is was all about: creating a Cantina display that can go on as long as you like, with areas out front and inside for little mini-scenes to be posed. Like I've said before, there will be other modules to go along with this basic version. I am really happy with how it turned out.

The next thing on my radar is the "Death Star Duel" shadowbox, which I had thought would be the same basic footprint as this with different details, but I am finding out the scene will take a much bigger box to pull it off with more scene accuracy. Which is a weird territory for me to get into, the last thing I've ever worried about with my playsets is replicating the movie dimensions, but for this stuff it feels essential. Always good to step outside my comfort zone and grow a bit. I'll update when there is something to see!

Thanks for looking!
This is awesome, I'll definitely want a few. And it's always great to step out of your comfort zone!

I think the Death Star Duel will be great, too. But I can't wait to see more on Vader's castle!

Where did you get the chairs?

Reaction score
Empire Toy Works sells those sets. The two chairs and the table are his. I've been waiting for the right time to buy something from him, and I am pretty happy with them.

Vader's Castle has been dominating my computer time. It's a lot of drawing, but I'm having fun with it. I may be hiding out in that "comfort zone" too much to avoid the work on the blast door duel set. Hmmmm, hadn't thought of it like that...

Reaction score
I love that Cantina Alcove one. You should post a pic of a bunch of them together forming the Cantina's outer wall. :{J

Reaction score
Got a package in the mail today, this time getting the classic Cloud City Playset. Since it's a great reproduction of the original, I dug out some Kenner ESB figures to bring it to life.

I got the Jedha playset too so I'll have to set it up with some R1 figures sometime this weekend.

Reaction score
Those vintage figures look good in that Bespin set. In desigining the details I went round and round with myself about how much of the original I wanted to leave in. I always knew the ladder would stay, and I had a blast building it. ALso the top level with the carbon freezing drop chute, since it was so much its own thing I just translated the vintage design up there.

The doorway on the front gave me fits...I built it with the door closed because even as a kid my brain couldn't get around the opening in the top and the room through the front. But with the doorway sealed it stopped looking like the Sears set, so I had to build up a carbon freezing room inside there. Only then did the look work, even if it logically still made no sense.

Thanks for posting those pics!

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm not much of one to do "selling" here but I have a really neat giveaway going on at the Cardboard Galaxy Facebook Page right now for the "May the Fourth" holiday. I'm selling a new style of display, and giving away one of my big Death Star Playsets! Check out the Cardboard Galaxy link in my signature for more info, and thanks for looking!

Reaction score
Thanks, man! I honestly appreciate that.

And, yes, this has always been my hangout for diorama-obsessing, going on about 15 years since I started my first real dio. I'd rather talk shop here than business any day.

(And I'm still "hiding out" from the Death Star Duel Shadowbox with other projects, so I must be in denial about that thing!)

Reaction score
I finally confronted the Blast Door Shadowbox head-on and produced a first prototype:

I really diverged from my normal mode on this build...instead of a stylized "playset" this one is much more meticulous in its scale and detail, to provide a to-scale representation of the movie set. There are still cheats...in particular the light panels on the back wall ought to angle off as a hallway of its own but things needed flattened out back there so it could work as a display piece.

And the front wall and doorway did not line up like I thought they would...the scale is just too small (and I don't have the "ship in a bottle" patience) for the engineering I had come up with to line up well. I tried to build the interior wall out of cardboard skinned with the printed cardstock but things did not physically cooperate. You can see the wonkiness in the doorway. I was ready to give up several times through the build, but I'm glad I kept going just for the test and the model because getting it into this state led me to a solution to the problem that I can try out in a second prototype.

After finishing it up I debated whether I wanted to share pictures of the "flawed" prototype at all, but I like the rest of the set enough and I just get so excited to share what I am working on...:p

Thanks for looking!

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Wow, I mean what you can do with the equivalent of cardstock! Amazing!

Reaction score
That is a really nice piece. So many possible set-ups with it. Thanks for posting.

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I want to build the second version in the next week to test the fixes. Your opinions are encouraging!

Reaction score
That. Looks. Awesome. I would totally want one of those as a display piece for my own collection. Yes, it is a departure from a lot of your more recent work, but I can see you still have it in you from your older stuff I've seen. Can't wait to see the next version!

Oh and great use of the new Obi-Wan and Vader!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks, DS. It took a couple of tries but I finally licked the door piece problem. My first solution fell apart as I was building it, too many tabs squeezed in too small a space.

The answer came to me in a dream after, my mind showed me the door tracks and exposed door edges all lining up on one piece of cardstock. The next morning I cobbled the vision together out of the parts I had already drawn:

I printed them, cut them, and folded them up to see if it worked...

Success!

The prototype is finished:

And the upside of having to build it twice is:

I think I prefer the right-angle set up:

Glad to put this one to bed. Up next I will put my nose to the grindstone and finish up my first giant playset in two years, the Darth Vader Castle.

As always, thanks for looking!

Reaction score
Thanks CHEWIE, that means a lot coming from you since I seem to remember you having a particularly strong "anti-cardboard" sentiment.

Reaction score
I built this for my son this past weekend. He has become obsessed with 8-bit Mario lately. He described to me the process by which he wanted it built: basically, just like the "ROTJ Final Duel" Playset but as Bowser's throne room instead. We had to build the figures, too.

It works for Star Wars (and other) figures too:

Kind of a one-off, completely unexpected thing, but I included him in every step of the process and it made him so happy.

Reaction score
It could be a whole subset of its own if I'm not careful. Based on the above pictures (less than an hour after they were posted) a client commissioned me to build him a display stand for his Pac-Man collectible wind-ups. I told my son he'd get an extra dollar in his allowance this week!

Utinniii

Reaction score
I see that as a shadow box maze that the figures can stand on the different walls = different levels. Perhaps 1/4 of the maze, or just a corner. (I'm not sure how practical that would be with paper though.)

Same with Donkey Kong!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh no, it is getting out of hand already. Joust would look amazing!

But I must draw the line at Crystal Castles!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hahaha Muftak what have you gotten yourself into lol!

Man, I love this! Yeah you could make a whole brand out of these. You could find some little Nintendo figures on ebay and use them for the box photos, etc.

Obviously you need to do Donkey Kong, too. And what about Kid Icarus or Ninja Gaiden? So many possibilities...

But then you need to hurry and finish that Vader castle already! I can't wait to see it!