My Find and My New Friends.

Reaction score
What an awesome story. Congrats. Thanks for sharing, it seems that there is more information to learn about the aged unaged. Learn something new everyday.

Reaction score
Just wanted to keep adding pieces to the thread. This is the EP Darth Vader Head Case. The outer cardboard is a but rough from its time spent in the Ohio basement, but its a beauty. The inner white insert is very nice.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Reaction score
So I assume he only kept Star Wars items? Anything else from other lines? Ryan

Reaction score
So I assume he only kept Star Wars items? Anything else from other lines? Ryan
He said he worked on other lines like Stretch Armstrong and Easy Bake Oven, but mostly worked on Star Wars. At the time he was there (78'-80') it was the main focus of the company. He had a few electronic sports games, but that was it. He even let me scour his basement storage while I was there (thats where I found the sports games) and what I got was everything he had. He was just out of collage (21/22) when he started at Kenner and I think the Star Wars line appealed to him and that's why he only kept that stuff.

HWR

Reaction score
What a great story and great score and on top of that a new friendship. That definitely worth the 8 hours drive, although 8 hours sounds insane for me living in a country where you can go from on end to the other in less than 8 hours. Thanks for sharing this story with the rest of us.

Reaction score
WOW! There are a lot of great threads on this site, but the ones I enjoy the most are ones like this - making contact with ex-Kenner employees and hearing their stories about the production process. Love the "drop-test" history behind the Falcon. The fact that he still had all those incredible pieces is fantastic too - thanks so much for sharing!

Reaction score
Congratulations. What a find and a great story. Sounds like you found each other at exactly the right time.

Reaction score
I am so glad to see that stuff is Still turning up. It's really a testament to the size of the company and the longevity of the toyline.
It always amazes me to see how many kenner employees took home and saved so much stuff for so long. It seems to have really been a labor of love.
now I am off to the airport to get the first available ticket to Cincinnati ...

Last edited:

Lex

Reaction score
Great stuff, I've enjoyed the read. Thanks for sharing! Was there anything you left behind or he didn't (want to) sell?

Reaction score
This thread is a great testament about how to establish provenance when doing pick ups, and is such a good story.

IMO, this deserves to pinned.

Reaction score
Great stuff, I've enjoyed the read. Thanks for sharing! Was there anything you left behind or he didn't (want to) sell?
I wish there was more. While at his home, he even let me search through all the boxes in the storage are of his basement and attic. He said that everything else had been given away to kids years ago (makes sense as that's how I got the first group of first shots from his nephew). Thanks for the kind words.

Reaction score
I love the 3 packs. If you ever consider selling the bespin alliance set please do drop me a line. Well done on a great score. It sounds like you really enjoyed the experience and I'm not surprised!

Reaction score
What an awesome score and story plus to top it off you got a free steak dinner :p.
No doubt the offers are pouring in for they first shots.

Thanks

Vince

Reaction score
A truly great story and fantastic finds, thanks for posting the pics

Reaction score
Great story! Many of us can only dream of something like this happening. You got to live it on so many levels!

Reaction score
Amazing find and thank you for sharing the story. The pictures are wonderful. I would love to see a Kenner documentary made sometime in the near future, while these employees are still alive to tell their stories. I would hate for this great history to be lost. Their work has touched so many lives and many fans/collectors want see them get the recognition they deserve. There are so many more stories and finds out there that haven't been discovered yet. I hope to hear and see more in the future.

Reaction score
Amazing find and thank you for sharing the story. The pictures are wonderful. I would love to see a Kenner documentary made sometime in the near future, while these employees are still alive to tell their stories. I would hate for this great history to be lost. Their work has touched so many lives and many fans/collectors want see them get the recognition they deserve. There are so many more stories and finds out there that haven't been discovered yet. I hope to hear and see more in the future.
Already been done, welcome out of the cave. ;)

plastic galaxy: the story of star wars toys

Reaction score
I don't think there would be a lot of interest in Kenner beyond Star Wars. Certainly not enough to make a documentary on.

Cj

Reaction score
Wow, totally missed this thread earlier! Really spectacular find, and great story. Goes to show there's still great collections out there when people put in the legwork.

Glad it was capped off with quality time with your dad and good stories from the seller.

Congratulations!

Todd

Last edited:
Reaction score
People who worked at Kenner -- and even people who live in Cincinnati -- tend to call the company "Kenner's" for some reason.
Perhaps as it's local to them. Kenner's has a familiar feel. I do the same with some shops in my town.

Reaction score
Is that crosshatch scratching on the back of Han part of the testing process, I assume?

Thanks for posting pics, great story!
Wonder what the brown line on right leg of HRS is about ? And the dark marking on the back of Luke's head (next to Lando) ?

Reaction score
One of the best collecting stories I ever read - thanks for sharing , and SO COOL that you got to share it with your pops.

Reaction score
Here are all the baggies that were in the lot. Ive had someone very knowledgeable about baggies look at them and a good number with the vertial font have been identified as Palitoy bags, which is very suspicious since they came out of Ohio. It was ultimately determined that they were most likely bagged in the orient and used to send to kenner test labs, and the bags used for this purpose didnt need to correspond with what market they were intended for. Basically the factory bagged them up into whatever was around just to ship back to Kenner to then be opened for test purposes. Some of the variations are very early including small head Solos the Jawas which all have no bump blasters and the Chewies with green bowcasters. Wanted to post these now as some will be going to a new home soon. Thanks for looking.
[/URL][/IMG
[/URL][/IMG]]
[/URL][/IMG]

Reaction score
Thank you very much for sharing the story and pictures here in this thread. This was a lot of fun to browse through. And the factyou followed up on questions was very nice to see as well. You are a true asset to the collecting world. Thank you for sharing.

Quick question, What is the MOC SW offer Chewbacca seen in the pics of the table? Anything special? As Chewie was my first fig in '78, I hope to someday pick up one to commemorate what started it all for me.

Reaction score
A great story on so many levels.

The insight gained relating to the stress testing that the toys were subjected to was very interesting. Thanks for sharing this.

Reaction score
First I have to say this is one cool find but you know that already Gary/everyone, the thing that makes it all the more special for me is that baggies have been unearthed in this fantastic lot, I have spoken with Gary at length regarding the baggies that have come to light in this lot & he asked if I would share some of my thoughts regarding the vertical font type.

I am not 100% about these but as close as I think I can be with the facts I have at hand, my impression is that this font/baggie type was intended for Euro issue to the palitoy factory as to date several of these have turned up in England, one I have (an R5) traces directly back to palitoy 100% as I bought it directly from a guy who had lots of them he bought from a friend when the factory production was coming to an end, all he had was the one figure type, but as said a great many of them & all with this font/baggie style, the thing that really makes it tie in more for me is the fact that there are also some much later issue baggies (ROTJ era) that also trace directly back to palitoy as I bought them again from a guy who purchased them as overstock in bulk, both multiple Gamorrean Guards & also some baggies with the same text but tape sealed have been found in ex palitoy lots & Woolworths 99p 8 packs, they have all been Emperors.

To date (from what I know) not one example of this baggie type has surfaced in ANY store issue multi pack, not one of either Mine/Andy_R's or another collector I know who has many of them sport this baggie type, I have also seen a great many early bird sets & to date I have only seen one with 2 of these baggies in & considering how many I have seen to date I assume that those 2 baggies were put with the set at a later date to make it whole for re sale (mistakenly).

Most collectors seem to consider this baggie type to be SW-b but IMO it is clearly not, it is not covered in the SWCA baggie guide & as said to date I have never seen a kenner issue pack with this type of baggie.

The pin head han solo is the wild card in this lot, I have one like it myself & I was told by a couple of baggie collectors it was found in an ultra rare multi pack, but not one example of this pack has surfaced to date to my knowledge.

So from what I know there were 3 main factories producing figures, back in the day & it would seem each factory had there own type of baggies/font's & it is plausible that all this type came from the single factory both SW & ROTJ era, it is also plausible that though these were initially destined for Euro production rather than US issue/production, that when samples were called for for testing that whichever factory was producing the figure type at that time sent them in whichever style there were producing, which would tie in with them turning up via a Kenner testing source rather than a Euro one, we know that figures were sent from production plants to testing in baggies a lot & I see no reason why this could not be the case here.

The outside alternative is that this is indeed a Kenner issue that has not been classified to date, not unheard of but IMO unlikely, as most of the evidence to date points firmly toward it being a Euro issue.

I know this will be a point of contention with some baggie collectors out there, but I have no real evidence that would convince me that these are intended for Kenner issue.

If anyone has more info on this baggie type I am not aware of I would love to hear it as baggies are a bit of a mine field when it comes to Euro issued ones & new info is always most welcomed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
To add to the above

I have also just spoken with another good friend & huge baggie collector, who said he has seen this baggie type in woolworths 8 packs which would again enforce the theory that they were Euro issue baggie, but he also said he has seen many crop up from state side & there is the possibility that this was a generic baggie type that was shipped both to Europe & America intended solely for opening & putting on to cards, which is another possible solution to why they have not cropped up in any know multi packs & have been found both sides of the pond, if this were the case it makes classification of this baggie type all the more awkward.

Baggies, glad I love them or I would hate them lol