My Find and My New Friends.

Reaction score
Congrats on the pickup! Looks like some very nice items in there. It's always hard to miss out on finds when they were practically down the street from many of us, but it's great that they ended up in good hands :) I'm looking forward to more pictures!

Reaction score
Amazing score! This is the kind of story every collector hopes to be able to tell.

Reaction score
You hit the gloryhole with that Bespin Alliance 3-pack. Good job!
Phidias, not sure if a gloryhole means the same thing in your country as here, but you might want to think twice before talking about hitting gloryholes in an excited manner LOL, i nearly gagged on my dinner reading this lol.......

Reaction score
The find itself is incredible but the best part of all of it is the story behind the hunt and everything leading up to the find. That being said, most of us dream of finding just one first shot in the wild...let alone what you dug up. Well done sir.

Reaction score
Phidias, not sure if a gloryhole means the same thing in your country as here, but you might want to think twice before talking about hitting gloryholes in an excited manner LOL, i nearly gagged on my dinner reading this lol.......
It does, and I also thought it was an odd term, but I'm sure it gave him a nerd-gasm as intense as the 'other' kind would. ;)

Ian

Reaction score
It does, and I also thought it was an odd term, but I'm sure it gave him a nerd-gasm as intense as the 'other' kind would. ;)

Ian
LOL, Maybe Phidias is talking about the same thing im thinking about, in that case i dont judge, what ever floats his boat, id suggest he takes a holiday to my area in sydney, Darlinghurst, Potts point and kings cross, plenty of guys around here dont leave home without a cordless drill for emergencies, the walls of the public toilets around here resemble a fly screen or a game of connect four LOL, id be to scared to go in there even if id had a hot indian Vindaloo curry the night before and it was making its way down my leg......:)

Reaction score
Great story and find!! It is awesome to keep hearing about finds now a days and gives hope that there still is a lot more out there to be discovered!
Can't wait to hear more about the individual pieces, especially that Leia Bespin. ;)

cheers!
:D

Reaction score
Amazing story and find! I love these stories and always am suprised what still turns up out off people basements after 30 years....
I guess that was unforgetable trip you made.

Reaction score
Ill start posting some pics up as I go through everything. Starting with the first shots. Hope you guys like them.
[/URL][/IMG]
Is that crosshatch scratching on the back of Han part of the testing process, I assume?

Thanks for posting pics, great story!

Reaction score
Great find! However, even more important, an awesome story to go along with it.

Reaction score
Is that crosshatch scratching on the back of Han part of the testing process, I assume?

Thanks for posting pics, great story!
Yes, I was told that it was a common test they used to test the paint. Not sure why it was done on the part that was molded in blue plastic, but it was part of the safety/reliability testing. The diecast cloud car that I have also has the cross hatch scratch marks as well in the orange painted metal upper half.
Gary

Reaction score
Awesome group of FSs - not everyone's favourite character but I just love that FX-7... here's his disco sparkly cousin!

Cheers,
Christian

Reaction score
Love the fx-7 (yours too Christian!). Thanks for sharing. Would love to the die cast and other first shots packaging.

Turk

Reaction score
Some of the loose marked test pieces. The "A" stands for Aged and the "U" stands for Un-aged. The "S" on Leia's back stands for "Safety". The Yodas are both have an "S" and a number on the back of their heads. Dengar is marked under his foot.
[/URL]-[/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Reaction score
WOW is all I can say.. good job and congrats.

Like others, I am so curious what you paid, but I respect why you wouldnt want to say so thats cool.

What I find MOST touching is that your father was involved and you were able to share with him. While both my parents got me started in SW, clearly Dad liked the movies because the biggest and clear memories I have are of him actually picking stuff out for me, looking for the figures for me, I still remember him buying me the Hoth Stormtroopers, he helped put the accessories on him, I remember that, all of that. Dad, Dad, Dad,, always picking stuff out, and to this day we still talk about these things.

So its just wonderful that your dad was a part of this. Congrats again.

Reaction score
Here are the die cast ships. Notice the lack of copyright and the unpainted boba fett and cloud car pilots. I also took a close up of the cross hatch scratching in the paint on the cloud car - again reliability and safety testing on the paint.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Reaction score
awesome find....its amazing that the gold piping is still on leia when its rarely still on production versions

Last edited:
Reaction score
What a great find. I am not a preproduction guy so forgive me if this has been asked/answered. Did he state what the numbers meant? I know I was reading in the EP topic the other day and it is unsure what the numbers were as far as if they represented the number of items pulled for testing or maybe something else. Also as far as aged unaged, did he give much specifics like the walrusman says aged, but how long and then what test was supposed to take place on it? This is the first time I have noticed letters on figures with numbers. Again, I have not looked at much preproduction stuff so they may be out there and I just havent seen them.

BTW super nice score. More importantly very cool story. Glad you got to share it with your father. Also sounds like you made a great friend out of this.

Reaction score
The Aged / Un-Aged processes was explained to me as follows. Un-Aged pieces were simply items right off the line, either shipped from the factory to the product integrity labs or pulled from very early production packages for testing - tested right "out of the box." Aged pieces were heated for a period of time and then immediately frozen for a period of time. This would simulate the product aging. The product was then tested the same as Un-Aged pieces to assure product integrity as "time passed." The numbers coincided with the number of pieces in a test group. The results were recorded and say there was a problem with "#6" they could document the problem and then further examine that particular item for corrections with the engineers or factory. That's how it was explained to me. Hope that answered your question.

Reaction score
WOW. What an awesome story. Hopefully I will be posting on here soon with a couple of potential first shots I think I have scored in an Ebay lot.

Reaction score
Amazing story, thanks for sharing. You're not likely to ever repeat this amazing experience, and the availability for anything similar from anyone else is dwinding rapidly as the years go by. It's killing me I can't see the pictures at work, gotta wait a few more hours to see them at home. I'd really like to see the Yodas as I have one "test subject" sample already. If you decide to sell one of your Yoda's look me up! :)

Reaction score
Awesome story. Amazing that there are still finds like this out there and it's great you got to share it with your dad.

Reaction score
Hanging out in a room with shelves full of TVC
wow and in my own state of Ohio... this is an awesome story. Did he give you insight into any figures that failed Q/As? Any horror stories of figures that melted too easily or broke to quick? the History behind the figures production to is fascinating.

Reaction score
That is a great story! I'm glad these finds still happen for good collectors out there. As great as the find is, the fact that you and your father were able to do it together on a road trip is the best part. Congratulations again!

Reaction score
Rezikai, one of the things that really stood out to him was the Millennium Falcon. He explained that it was one of the most problematic toys to get right. He explained that during the "drop tests", which is a test that is basically what it sounds likes....toys were dropped from various heights in an attempt to break them and then evaluate the results and look for safety hazards (sharp edges, small pieces..etc). The results were shared with the engineers so that modifications could be made in the design to increase reliability and decrease safety hazards. In the case of the Falcon, the problem continued to be resulting sharp and jagged pieces during the "drop test". It was apparently corrected by the engineers by varying plastic thickness in different locations. Another he mentioned that had similar problems was the Death Star Playset, which also struggled with the "drop test" the same as the Falcon.
As far as particular figures that were problematic, we didn't really discuss that. That is a great question that I will forward over to him and see what he remembers.

Gary

Last edited:
Reaction score
Incredible find and great story, thanks for sharing. 10 first shots & 3 3-packs?! Holy moly.

Nice to read the Kenner insight as well

Reaction score
Super score on those three-packs.

In many years of hunting stuff in Cincinnati, I think we had only one find that included three-packs. Those are three nice packs to find, too.

Reaction score
The Imperial Forces 3 pack is a thing of beauty. I don't even remember the 3 packs from growing up; only remember the individual figures. Wow, that's so impressive.