My figures are in storage, some are oily. Why? Is this harmful?

Reaction score
My collection of 3.75" Hasbro figures is currently in storage. I have each figure stored in a small, GTZip Ultra Clear bag. According to an article on One Per Case, these bags do not contain harmful chemicals like Ziplocs do. I do not close the bags all the way, and leave a little room at the top for air to prevent outgassing. I have all of the bagged figures in a plastic three-drawer bin; this bin is not airtight, and allows for the figures and drawers to breathe.

I've recently checked on my storage bins and took a few figures out. The majority of them are in wonderful condition still. However, a few have a slight oily texture. The paint is still fine, and nothing is yellowed/dulled for the most part. Is this oily texture damaging to the figure, or is it something I can clean off eventually?

I don't think anything I'm doing storage-wise is causing this, as most of them are in impeccable condition when it comes to texture and paint. I'd appreciate any insight from those with experience dealing with this. Thanks.

Reaction score
While I don't have a solution to offer, some of my figures have become sort of sticky (due to the oil) as well. It's mostly Ep 1 figures. My 2004 VOTC Stormtrooper has also "dirtied up" and parts of it started to yellow- though the yellowing of some trooper limbs have been a problem with several lines since.
Given that they're nearly 20 years old at this point and Kenner / Hasbro experimented with different types of plastic, I guess it is to be expected that some of the material are starting to show their age by breaking down. Let's hope it won't get much worse and someone can offer a solution that stops it without causing damage to the paint.

Reaction score
The funny thing I noticed is my 77 figures are fine, but my 85 seem tacky. I guess that's when they started to play with the plastics.