My Early Bird Collection - updated 3 February 2013

Reaction score
********************* Updated as at 3 February 2013 ***************************

Hi guys

Due to Webshots becoming Smile, I have re-located all my pics to Photobucket. This is an update on the Early Bird Collection that I currently have – some collective pics as well as some individual pics.

Hope you guys like the pics … Here we go … :hmm:

1. Early Bird Newspaper advertisement

1. Early Bird Certificate – group pics

1. Early Bird Certificate MISP

(a) Early Bird Certificate MISP – gem mint

(b) Early Bird Certificate MISP – gem mint

(c) Early Bird Certificate MISP – AFA80+

(d) Early Bird Certificate MIP – open complete (photocopy of certificate)

1. Early Bird Mailer Kit – group pics

1. Early Bird Mailer Kit

(a) Early Bird Mailer Kit (DT Luke) – AFA85 – 85-85-85

(b) Early Bird Mailer Kit (DT Luke) Transition Set – AFA85 – 85-85-85 (bigger SW catalogue and SW-C baggie DT Luke)

(c) Early Bird Mailer Kit (non-DT Luke) – AFA85 – 80-85-85

Cheers, Mark

*********************** original post below ***********************************

Finally, the last few pieces arrived today to complete my full run on the Early Bird sets. Thought I let u guys have a look at them as the 2 EB Certificates that arrived today were super minty mint and ungraded ... which if graded, may probably be 90s or at least 85s. This is a group shot of the 2:-

It was a great score for me and probably formed the best deal of this year for me. Each Certificate will now accompany each EB mailer set variation.

Here goes with the limelight:-

1. Early Bird Certificate MISP (1):triumphant:

2. Early Bird Certificate MISP (2):pride:

3. Early Bird Certificate MISP AFA 80+

4. Early Bird Mailer Kit [DT Luke] AFA85

5. Early Bird Mailer Kit [DT Luke / Transition Set] AFA85:congratulatory:

6. Early Bird Mailer Kit [non-DT Luke] AFA 85

Hopefully, I get a group shot of all of them when I have them up on display. :p

**Update 20 December 2011**

Latest addition to the family is the original newspaper cutting of the Early Bird Certificate advertisement that was found in the Houston Chronicle on 11 December 1977 - here it is:-

Cheers, Mark

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow! Very nice run of EB items. That's great that you've tracked down all 3 sets and another 3 sealed envelopes to go with them. That is no easy feat. I'd love to see the display photo of them all together when you get to it.

Reaction score
Congrats Mark. Those are awesome. Is there a difference in the EB certificates or the same. I don't own and early bird set but would like to in the future. I like how afa encased the sets. :unconscious:

Reaction score
Great run Mark. As someone who received an early bird set in the mail when i was 7 years old, the set means a lot. It's nice to see the history of them categorized and respected this way. Good show. :)

Reaction score
Great sets Mark, you put all of these together pretty quick. They are the start of it all.

Thanks for sharing.

Jeff
Hey Jeff

Thanks, I think I was lucky that the sets became available in relatively quick succession. I did not think that I would be able to get my hands on any more MISP EB Certificates but they did rather recently. I have a soft spot for the EB sets ....:)

Cheers, Mark

Reaction score
I get the DT and non-DT, what is a Transition set?
Hi Roger

Here is the reference on the EB Mailer Sets variations - see Mailer Guide | powerofthetoys.com under the section Early Bird Kits: versions.

From the research I did, the transition set has the SW-C baggie Luke with the larger catalogue that came with the non-DT Luke version - hence "transition" set. I did not know this as well until I found the link recently - although I knew that there were 3 versions.
:beguiled:
Cheers, Mark

Reaction score
Great run Mark. As someone who received an early bird set in the mail when i was 7 years old, the set means a lot. It's nice to see the history of them categorized and respected this way. Good show. :)
Thanks Dylan

BTW, it was your limelight of your EB set that got me going on this run. :encouragement:Thanks for the great help along the way with your perspectives on the EB sets. Greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Mark

Reaction score
Mark

Your run is sweet, I too have a soft spot for EB Sets. Kudos on finding all 3 types.

Grant.

Reaction score
Thanks Dylan

BTW, it was your limelight of your EB set that got me going on this run. :encouragement:Thanks for the great help along the way with your perspectives on the EB sets. Greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Mark
Anytime man! and thanks for the shout out.

best, D

Reaction score
Mark

Your run is sweet, I too have a soft spot for EB Sets. Kudos on finding all 3 types.

Grant.
Hey Grant

I think that the EB Transition Set went thru your hands at some point in time a few months ago... Got it from Ed:p

Cheers, Mark

Reaction score
Hey Grant

I think that the EB Transition Set went thru your hands at some point in time a few months ago... Got it from Ed:p

Cheers, Mark
Glad this piece finially reached you. I knew you wanted to add it to your run. Kudos again...

Reaction score
Hey Mark....how long did this run take you to put together? Love it. Great sets. You are really coming along especially with all of those 12 backs you limelighted!!!

Reaction score
Hey Mark....how long did this run take you to put together? Love it. Great sets. You are really coming along especially with all of those 12 backs you limelighted!!!
Was looking back at my emails on the first EB set I got and it seems that the run came together within a year. :) and I did not have to throw crazy money at them. :congratulatory:A little bit of luck and loads of good timing, I guess - to put this run together relatively quickly. I am really happy with how the last few pieces came together - especially the MISP EB Certificates - which are really awesome.

Cheers, Mark

Reaction score
great going mark. i know you have been trying to finish this off. can't wait to see what they look like in your future display.

Reaction score
Hey Mark,

Congrats on an impressive EB run! The transition set is my favorite, glad to see he found a great home. : )

-chris

Reaction score
Hey Mark,

Congrats on an impressive EB run! The transition set is my favorite, glad to see he found a great home. : )

-chris
Hey Chris

Thanks, man. The transition set originated from u before Grant had it? Its always cool to know the history of some pieces.

Cheers, Mark

Reaction score
Hey Mark,

Yeah, that was mine. If you want some of the history, feel free to send me a PM. That Luke baggie is pretty special, I only know of two (maybe 3?) others like it. Unfortunately, most were sacrificed for U-grades if they were not discolored and had good paint details (like yours). Another thing I like about that EB Set is that all the baggies/figures are original to that particular set, no mix-and-match like some other EB sets out there.

Again, congrats! What is next?? : )

Thanks,
-chris

Reaction score
Okay. Two questions if anyone can help.

I have two eb fig sets:

1) one has "A" +
"B" Baggies non-dt luke but small catalog from original owner

2) one has a "D" baggie Leia and "A" and "B" baggie other figs but large Catalog

Are these possible in their current configurations?

Reaction score
Update with original newspaper advertisement for the Early Bird Certificate

Latest addition to the family is the original newspaper cutting of the Early Bird Certificate advertisement that was found in the Houston Chronicle on 11 December 1977 - here it is:
-

Last edited:
Reaction score

Latest addition to the family is the original newspaper cutting of the Early Bird Certificate advertisement that was found in the Houston Chronicle on 11 December 1977 - here it is:
-

That's a great new addition! I've always wanted to track down one of those ads myself, since seeing it on the archive. It's a great item to compliment the EB envelope and mailer.

Reaction score
Happy holidays Mark! The eb sets look fantastic and I love the newspaper ad!

Cal
Thanks Cal:welcoming:

Merry Christmas to u dude. Hope u and the wife are well and enjoying the holidays.

Shawn: will keep my eye out for another ad and will give u a heads up if I do come across another.

Sean: thanks man.

Happy holidays guys!

Cheers, Mark

Reaction score
Great collection! I just recently picked up a sealed EBC Kit myself with the original store receipts and newspaper ad, so I know exactly how excited you are to have found that newspaper ad.

Cheers

Reaction score
Great collection! I just recently picked up a sealed EBC Kit myself with the original store receipts and newspaper ad, so I know exactly how excited you are to have found that newspaper ad.

Cheers
Rob, wow! with the store receipt? Now, that is just way too cool. :applause: Good on you, man. That is some catch, congrats.

Cheers, Mark

Reaction score
Rob, wow! with the store receipt? Now, that is just way too cool. :applause: Good on you, man. That is some catch, congrats.

Cheers, Mark

Thanks Mark! The sealed EBC kit included the original Toys R US receipt, ticket, and newspaper ad. It was a great pick-up!

Fantastic collection, yourself!!

Cheers,
Robert

Reaction score
Updated with new pics on Photobucket

Hi Guys

Updated the original post with the new pics that are up on Photobucket. More group pics too.

Cheers, Mark

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hmm so your the one whos been hoarding early bird sets huh lol :grin:

Excellent early bird collection o-o Congratulations, thank you for sharing this.