My Death Star Droid collection (Update! 1/14/11)

Reaction score
Re: My Death Star Droid collection

It is time for a small update, very likely my last one this year. It has been a fantastic collecting year with plenty of surprises, but most of the 'easy stuff' is pretty much done now. I have absolutely no complaints, though it sure would be fun if something else unexpected turns up in the next few months.

I intend to completely update my limelight, the picture quality on a lot of these leaves a lot to be desired. Without question, many of you have simply amazing focus collections and setups that are truly inspiring.

So...here we go. First up is a SW 20-D (black sticker on back) Boba Fett offer MOC. For whatever reason, this particular cardback combo was very elusive, I was thrilled to find a nice one for a great price.

Thanks to Dax, I was able to upgrade my SW 20-B cardback, now complete with fully intact POP!

After 4 frustrating attempts at other examples, I finally tracked down a Palitoy SW 20-back cardback from karlph via ebay. Thanks again!

Next up is an ESB-C tape-sealed baggie from Bill Wills. I put it into my custom baggie case (Oscar!), even though it was originally designed for 2. It will do for now.

Finally, thanks to very helpful forum member suffer78 for his help with the HasbroToyShop exclusive figure stand. I love it!

Ok, that's it for now!

Reaction score

Awesome update, really nice pick ups there Jason, love the new baggy!

The amazing condition of your focus always astounds me as well, I can't even find a loose DSD in good enough condition for display let alone carded, bagged etc! Out of interest do you have a no COO, it may have been asked somewhere in this thread before ?

Reaction score

Thanks for the compliments Joe! No, still looking for a no COO, it is definitely on my want list.

Reaction score

Will definitely keep my eyes out for you Jason! Don't suppose you have a spare C9+ loose DSD do you ??

Reaction score

This is definitely one of my favorite threads. The DSD is such a cool figure, and seeing so many of them together is pretty awe inspiring. The cards are beautiful, too. And it's a good way for someone new like myself to get a grasp at just how many different variations are out there. Can't wait to see future updates (however far in the future they may be).

HWR

Reaction score

Congrats on the new purchases, Jason.

Looking forward to an updated limelight with new pictures of your collection and display.

Reaction score
Re: My Death Star Droid collection (Update! 8/27)

beautiful collection..if the uzay dsd moc wasnt that rare..

Reaction score

Uli has a no COO DSD for trade up in the classifieds Jason.. I think it might be gone but ..good luck!

Reaction score

Thanks for all of the compliments and the tip! I forgot to add one that I picked up over the summer, a thorough upgrade of my SW 21-B:

I semi-jokingly stated in my last post that it would be nice if something unexpected surfaced before the end of the year...well, not even 2 days later I found a piece I had been searching over 3 years for and another neat little addition!

I'll save those pics for a rainy day, and hopefully have another thing or two to add with them!

Once again, thanks everyone!

Reaction score

Beautiful collection! He has always been a favorite of mine as well.

Reaction score

Cool collection. Great focus character. His vintage card picture is one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score

thanks for the comments, I am overdue for an update. I have several new items that I will add in the next few days.

Reaction score

I meant to get this in before the end of the year, but I didn't quite make it!

First up is a SW Palitoy 20-back. This one is not mint, the nameplate was cut out, but the bubble was superb and completely sealed and the rest of the card is fine, save for a cut from the edge to the nameplate. The price was great so I couldn't pass it up. I temporarily placed a spare cardback behind the card to fill up the nameplate, one day I'll use a nameplate to fill in the spot.

Next up is a Japanese TOMY POTF2. I found this one within days of my last update, during which I joked I hoped something unexpected turned up! I had been chasing one of these for over 3 years, so I couldn't believe it turned up when it did...lucky for me it was 1/3 less than the last one I saw! It is a great companion piece with the POTJ 12".

ESB-A heat sealed baggie. This completes my baggie sub-set. I really did not plan on getting one since I already had this version with the POPY.

No COO loose figure...I'll call this one another grail that I did not realize was a grail. Thanks so much to Idefix13 for helping me get this figure.

These vintage ads, mainly from comics, are more of a complement to the run. I really like the non-US ads and they are fun to chase down. Thanks to HansOle and Idefix13 (again) for the Danish and German ones, respectively.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped, I was genuinely surprised at my run of good luck at the end of the year, I really didn't think I would find ANYTHING. I fully expect this year to be very, very slow, but I will keep my eyes open...and feel to free to contact me if you run across anything that would look at home in the run!

Reaction score

Great new additions !

I am so glad you got the no COO
- I think him being a bit worse for wear adds to the charm of its rarity!

Have you got this all on permanent display - if so can we see?

HWR

Reaction score

Great updates Jason, congrats on the purchases and thanks for sharing.

Really like the Danish add. Wish I had saved some of them back then. Only took one out of a toycatalog arround 1987, but threw it out at a cleaning in the mid 1990's, don't ask why.

Reaction score

Thanks for the comments. I don't have a permanent display yet, we have been in limbo over moving and I have hesitated to set anything up. I should probably set up a temporary display though.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for a few new things this year!

Reaction score

Too cool. Love this collection!

Reaction score
It is time for a long overdue update!

Sorry in advance for the bad pictures, I can't seem to get the lighting right when I take them and have not been able (or patient enough) to edit them properly. With that being said, I am not sure how they turned out so bad. I need to completely redo my limelight one day once everything is unpacked again, so I suppose for now it's okay.

I found everything last year except for the cardback w/Clipper catalog. If I add only one or two more things this year I will consider it a success as it is at the point now where finding something new (and affordable!) is a challenge.

So, here goes:

Canadian SW 20-D Fett offer cardback. The top loader caused some glare streaks. Other than the paper tear, the rest of the card is in great shape

SW 20-B offerless MOC. A big thanks to j74 for helping me end a long, long search for this one

ROTJ 65-A MOC. I just can't believe how difficult this one was for me to track down. I am sure there are plenty out there, but it took me several years to find one as most out there that I ran across in my searches were 65-B

Thanks to Kaze for the very cool Danish POTF catalog. With only a few figures on the front, the DSD stands out with the great colors and product choices of the cover. I really like this one. This is another case where the top loader caused weird glare streaks...the catalog is in perfect shape

BruceW helped me out here, a ROTJ 77-A MOC with a Coin sticker on the back of the card...it is odd and unique and a nice complement to my other Coin offers

Finally, thanks to Johan_Sydling for being gracious enough to part with this very cool cardback, a Kenner ROTJ 77-A w/Clipper catalog on back and Swedish price sticker on front.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me out along the way, you guys have been a tremendous help. As always, if you see anything that you think I may be interested in, no matter what it is, feel free to let me know.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Sorry in advance for the bad pictures, I can't seem to get the lighting right when I take them and have not been able (or patient enough) to edit them properly. With that being said, I am not sure how they turned out so bad. I need to completely redo my limelight one day once everything is unpacked again, so I suppose for now it's okay.

I found everything last year except for the cardback w/Clipper catalog. If I add only one or two more things this year I will consider it a success as it is at the point now where finding something new (and affordable!) is a challenge.

So, here goes:

Canadian SW 20-D Fett offer cardback. The top loader caused some glare streaks. Other than the paper tear, the rest of the card is in great shape

SW 20-B offerless MOC. A big thanks to j74 for helping me end a long, long search for this one

ROTJ 65-A MOC. I just can't believe how difficult this one was for me to track down. I am sure there are plenty out there, but it took me several years to find one as most out there that I ran across in my searches were 65-B

Thanks to Kaze for the very cool Danish POTF catalog. With only a few figures on the front, the DSD stands out with the great colors and product choices of the cover. I really like this one. This is another case where the top loader caused weird glare streaks...the catalog is in perfect shape

BruceW helped me out here, a ROTJ 77-A MOC with a Coin sticker on the back of the card...it is odd and unique and a nice complement to my other Coin offers

Finally, thanks to Johan_Sydling for being gracious enough to part with this very cool cardback, a Kenner ROTJ 77-A w/Clipper catalog on back and Swedish price sticker on front.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me out along the way, you guys have been a tremendous help. As always, if you see anything that you think I may be interested in, no matter what it is, feel free to let me know.

I had wondered how things were going for you man! Great new additions! Glad you landed Johan's cardback, he seems like a nice enough guy ;)

Love the run, thanks for the share!

Reaction score
Love the figure, the cardback colours and your run!

20 back offerless is a tough one to find. Hope you can find some more non US carded items such as Canadian, more Palitoys etc

Excellent and thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Great new additions! I really love that coin offer on the back of the card.

HWR

Reaction score
Congrats on these great new additions to your collection, and thanks for sharing. Not many focus on the Death Star Droid, but it's actually a pretty cool figure.

I love that Danish catalog, brings me a lot of great memories, still have my original example which are now taped together on every page (well also have a nice example).

Last edited:
Reaction score

I was happy to help with such an awesome focus. I enjoyed having that one for years (such a mint, shiny figure in that bubble!), I'm so very glad it went to a good home!

Reaction score
Excellent new additions!!! The DSD has always been one of my favs. I just love the card art and color scheme, it just looks striking!

What else are you looking for?

Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing! I can't wait to see your full proper limelight!

Reaction score
Nice collection. I can't believe all the different items you have for one character. Cool uzay cardback as well. I like your bagged figures alot.

Quick question

What is the difference on the trilogo figures? I see you have 2 but they look the same to me.

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the compliments. Those of you who have contributed to this run have been such a huge help!

The only really notable difference between a trilogo 70B and C is the bottom of the bubble area....take a closer look. The bottom of the 70C is longer and extends below the nameplate. It is very subtle. Actually, I didn't even notice it at first when I got my 2nd trilogo, I bought it because the bubble was a little nicer and I got it for an amazingly low price from a low feedback seller on ebay...so I was quite thrilled when I realized what I had.

I am always on the lookout for non-US cardbacks/MOC and proofs. I suppose a Droid 3-pack would be cool. My US Kenner run is nearly complete. The only MOC that I know I am missing is an ESB 45-B, and there is always the possibility of stickered offer variations.

I am definitely looking forward to the day when I can properly display everything and take some updated pictures.

Reaction score
Actually, I didn't even notice it at first when I got my 2nd trilogo, I bought it because the bubble was a little nicer and I got it for an amazingly low price from a low feedback seller on ebay...so I was quite thrilled when I realized what I had.
Well that is just jammy! ;) *Edit* BTW- For Trilogo variants you can put these on your list: Meccano small bubble, Palitoy small bubble, Clipper Offer & Italian Import sticker. Mirco has a great small bubble Palitoy DSD Trilogo with an Italian Import sticker plastered right over the front which looks awesome!

You 70B is what most people call a "German" Trilogo which has a very specific punch type but effectively the card is a 70B!

I am definitely looking forward to the day when I can properly display everything and take some updated pictures.
So are we! Keep us posted J!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Death Star Droid focus collection (Update 3/31/12)

Well, after an unbelievable and completely unexpected 3 week run right after my last update, it is time for another update! Just when I thought I wouldn't find much at all for the rest of the year, I had some great luck and a lot of help. Thanks so much!

Sorry again for the crappy and slightly blurry pics, it is time to replace my camera, it just isn't taking good pictures anymore even after adjusting the settings. Maybe soon I can retake some.

First up is a Canadian ESB 41-C, thanks to eklekktik71. This is my first Canadian carded figure

Next up is a SW Meccano. The back of the card was opened behind the bubble, but it presents well and isn't exactly a common item so I didn't want to pass it up.

After missing out on this very carded figure years ago, it was nice to see it finally find its' way into my collection! Trilogo 70-B miscard w/Removable Limbs C-3PO

Thanks to Leif G for this vintage magazine ad. It is the exact same ad that I originally had an oversize repro of, so this replaces it. I love the colors of the ad.

Rounding out this flurry of additions is a set of modern build-a-droid bagged samples. There is an unpainted figure, an MB-RA-7 with only the black areas painted but not the silver, and a painted 5D6-RA-7. I included a shot of the markings on the heads. I actually had hoped for years I would find a prototype/sample of the build-a-droid mold, but never imagined I would find a full set.

Somehow I forgot I had bought this model kit sometime last year. It is not actually a vintage kit, but it is a reissue of the kit that had the head taken and used to make the very first prototype Death Star Droid figure. I plan to make my own custom figure eventually.

A huge thanks to everyone who contributed this round, you know who you are. I have no cllue what may turn up next but I am looking forward to whatever it is!

Last edited:
Reaction score
It never rains but it pours huh? Nice additions Jason :)

Reaction score
awsome focus run jason,thanks for the udates.i hope you find the missing pieces soon :)

daren