My Death Star Droid collection (Update! 1/14/11)

Reaction score
My Death Star Droid collection (Update! 6/24/13)

Thanks for looking, I hope you enjoy the pictures. The first photo is a group shot from 2005. That is everything I had at the time, with the exception of a loose figure. I decided to add modern items last year, I'm actually glad I did as it has provided a nice variety, both content-wise and visually. Everything else has been slow and gradual.

I don't have a permanent display yet, so I opted to take individual shots of everything. A tremendous thank you to everyone who has helped so far, you know who you are!!! Thank you as well to my fellow board members who have some absolutely unbelievable character focus collections, you have been an inspiration.

I suppose this is a work in progress, I'm always on the lookout for non-US carded and/or cardbacks, proofs, alternate Kenner carded, a few non-US modern items, and whatever else may present itself that I don't already have & the budget allows! I'm gradually upgrading to acrylic cases for all of the boxed/carded items as well. A few figures could stand an upgrade themselves!

If you have something you think I may be interested in, feel free to drop me a PM!

Enjoy!

MARCH 2005 GROUP SHOT

STAR WARS

20-B; 20-D Boba Fett; 20-E Boba Fett; 21-A; 21-B; 21-C Secret Figure sticker

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

21-G Secret Figure; 21-I (front) Secret Figure w/Bossk sticker; 21-I (back); 21-I (mirror shot); 31-B; 41-A Survival Kit (no foot insert); 41-A Survival Kit (foot insert); 45-A Display Arena; 47-A 4-LOM

RETURN OF THE JEDI

48-D(2-line) Nien Nunb; 65-A; 65-B; 65-B w/Coin offer; 77-A; 77-A w/Coin offer; 2nd 77-A w/Coin offer on back

NON-US

Popy ESB; SW Palitoy 20-back (w/temporary nameplate); Kenner/Palitoy ESB 47-A (front); Kenner/Palitoy ESB 47-A (back); Palitoy ROTJ 45-C w/double-stem bubble; Canadian ESB 41-C; Trilogo 70-B; Trilogo 70-C; Trilogo 70-B miscard w Removable Limbs C-3PO; SW Meccano

CARDBACKS

Canadian SW 20-B; Canadian SW 20-D; Canadian ESB 41-C; German ESB 45-back; Palitoy ESB 45-B; Palitoy ROTJ 45-C (standard bubble); Kenner 77-A w/Swedish price sticker & Clipper catalog on back; UZAY

BAGGIES
[
SW-D heat-sealed; ESB-A heat-sealed; ESB-C tape-sealed; Kenner/Palitoy tape sealed; Custom case

LOOSE & VARIANTS

Loose & 2 variants; Left and middle figure torso & left arm detail; Right figure different screw (middle for comparison);
group shot with 2 new 'variants' - hard to tell from the pic, but all 5 have screws of different sizes, some moreso than others; no COO leg closeup; no COO front; no COO back

PRE-PRODUCTION

2 original 35 MM slides; ESB 41-A proof; Revenge Proof; ROTJ 65-A proof; POTF proof

MISCELLANEOUS

Chris Parsons autograph; Magazine ad; Custom 5D6-RA-7; Comic ad 1; Comic ad 2; Danish ad; Danish POTF catalog; German ad; Gigantics Mantis model kit

MODERN carded

POTF2; Saga Legends; Saga Legends w/Fans' Choice sticker; Clone Wars 4A-7

OTHER MODERN

30th Ann. Wal-Mart comic 2-pack; POTJ 12"; Galactic Heroes 2-pack

NON-US

European POTF2; Japanese TOMY POTF2; Canadian Saga Legends; Canadian Clone Wars 4A-7; Japanese TOMY POTJ 12"

LOOSE

(top row) POTF2, OTC/Saga Legends, comic pack (bottom row) 5D6-RA-7 build-a-droid, MB-RA-7 build-a-droid; Clone Wars 4A-7; POTJ 12"

PRE-PRODUCTION

POTF2 Test Shot; POTF2 QA Sign-Off; Set of 3 bagged build-a droid samples: unpainted, black accented MB-RA-7. & painted 5D6-RA-7; closeup of internal markings

MISCELLANEOUS

Original Fan Club ad; Fan Club 2-figure mailer set box #1 (plain); Fan Club 2-figure mailer set box #2 (figure label); box #2 label closeup; Fan Club 2-figure mailer set box #3 (Insider mailing label + inserts); Modern pack-ins; POTF2 autographed; HasbroToyShop exclusive figure stand

NEW ITEMS

Star Wars 20-E Fett offer cardback w/square sticker; Palitoy ESB 45-A Bounty Hunter offer; Trilogo 70-B w/small blister (partial reseal); Target Droid Set 3-pack; European Target Droid Set 3-Pack; Celebration VI Star Tots

Last edited:

HWR

Reaction score
Re: My Death Star Droid collection

That's a great focus collection you got there Jason.

So that why you have been selling out of stuff, to finance your main focus.
Well I'm kinda glad you did, as I got some really nice items from you.

Thanks for sharing your collection, and please keep us updated, when you get the items, that you have in transit.

Reaction score

a great focus collection. Thanks for sharing the pics.

How many othe US kenner MOCs are known to exist?
Steve

Reaction score

Congrats to that focus. The DS droid is a very cool looking figure, especially on the vintage cards IMO

Reaction score

Fine Focus on a great character

Many thanks for sharing.

Reaction score

Thanks for the share and nice choice do you have a story behind choosing Death Star Droid as your focus?

Reaction score

What an amazing collection and one with such an interesting focus. How did you choose this particular character?

The Vintage Death Star Droid has always been a favorite of mine and the BAD modern fig is the first fig since the 1970s original to do the character any justice. I am so glad you picked it up.

Reaction score

Great focus, and one of my fave figs !!! I always loved that chromed droids design. I look forward to getting a Trilogo DSD one day myself !

Michael

Reaction score

That POTF proof has got to be one of the coolest

Absolutely gorgeous focus, congrats on the run so far.

marc

Reaction score

That's a cool focus of a character that for me has been hard to get a decent loose example of.

Reaction score

theguiltyone said:
That POTF proof has got to be one of the coolest

Absolutely gorgeous focus, congrats on the run so far.

marc
That's funny, that is the same thing I told Jason not two days ago, that the POTF Proof is my favorite piece in his run. I have always loved the look of chrome, and this figure when grouped together as in his 2005 shot is simply breath taking.

Jason I told you in private that you had an awesome run going, and now with the addition of the new items, it looks even better, I also like the addition of the modern items for diversity.

Keep up the great work my friend.

Cheers,

-John

Reaction score

I like this a lot! Those proofs are awesome! Hope the POTF wasn't THAT expensive!

Really awesome collection, nice condition as well!

Maybe we can set up a contest as to who collects the coolest droid

Keep it up

Reaction score

whiteskinnydroid said:
I like this a lot! Those proofs are awesome! Hope the POTF wasn't THAT expensive!

Keep it up
You mean Dustin with his R2 or Bill Cable with his 3PO???

Just kidding guys.

Both of your droid runs are SuPeR!!! Only made better by having two great people amassing them.

Cheers,

-John

Reaction score

John_A_Graham said:
whiteskinnydroid said:

Keep it up
You mean Dustin with his R2 or Bill Cable with his 3PO???

Just kidding guys.

Both of your droid runs are SuPeR!!! Only made better by having two great people amassing them.

Cheers,

-John
No John!! The rules are as follows:
1.) The droid can only star in one of the three movies
2.) Screen appearance time of less than 20 seconds

Reaction score

Thanks for the compliments, I appreciate it!

I chose this figure as a focus for a few different reasons. My first item was the Revenge proof, I built the focus around that. Since this was an obscure character, I knew there would not be too much to chase after, but enough to keep my hunting for a while! The color combos were excellent too. At the time, nobody else was really focusing on the DSD, so that was a big plus too.

Haha, I was VERY lucky when I got the POTF proof, suffice it to say I was in the right place at the right time and definitely the right price! It is without a doubt my favorite piece!

Hmmm, a droid throwdown....since the DSD is one of the most obscure, does that count as an advantage or disadvantage? Whiteskinny...I really don't think I could compete anyway, your Anakin and coin offer ROTJs are a knockout!

Reaction score

JMiller said:
Whiteskinny...I really don't think I could compete anyway, your Anakin and coin offer ROTJs are a knockout!
Come to think of it that's all I own

Honestly your run is awesome, proofs are fantastic but you also have the MOC to compliment them!

Great collection and I hope I can assemble an equally great set of figures

Reaction score

That's some collection you've got there!

I hope you will be able to add the SW proof to your focus in time. Though, seeing it's the only known example, I doubt it will be easy to aquire. It was pretty lockedup lasttime I heard of the then owner.

-Alex

Reaction score

whiteskinnydroid said:
No John!! The rules are as follows:
1.) The droid can only star in one of the three movies
2.) Screen appearance time of less than 20 seconds
lol, that is a pretty good description of most of the droids in the OT.

Great run there, Jason. As a vintage/modern collector myself, I particularly love the POTF2 sign off. Those are not that easy to come by, though they are cheap when you find them. That must have come from the Earth, right?

Reaction score

Hello.

Lovely collection you have there mate.

Cheers.

Grant.

Reaction score

The unproduced POTF proof is truly a gem
I really like your whole focus and the color combo on the DS Droid card is stunning, the mix of evil red and Kenner blue that becomes purple in the picture's background looks great. It deserves to be put on a permanent display though

Thanks for sharing.

Mattias

Reaction score

Mattias_Rendahl said:
... the mix of evil red and Kenner blue that becomes purple in the picture's background looks great....
Never looked at it this way but you're damn right! Awesome card, great focus character!

~Martijn

Reaction score

Wow jason, great run.
I knew you had a DSD focus but i didn't realise you had so much. Keep up the good work.

Del

Reaction score

Killer run! Great focus! Love the pics,

-Jeff

Reaction score

Wow Jason! I knew you said you were going to be doing an update but didn't know it was going to be this big. Great figure to focus on and you have put together a sweet run. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Reaction score

very sweet focus

one of the best cardback layouts & design in the vintage collection

Reaction score

miscus555 said:
one of the best cardback layouts & design in the vintage collection
I've always thought so too. That and 2-1B are probably two of my favorite. The color schemes are just striking.

Kudos on a beautiful run!

John

Reaction score

Small update...

I sold my 20-D and upgraded to a nicer 20-E.

Thanks to poekeeper for 2 loose figures with different sized screws on back. Sure, these are subtle, but all 5 of my figures indeed have slightly different sizes!

Here's a clearer pic of the 21-B. It has a lot of wear, but I have not run across this version too often.

Lastly, here is an offerless 77-A.

I have a few more things out in the ether, stay tuned for another update! A huge thank you to everyone who has helped out!

Reaction score

I was fortunate enough to add a nice trilogo 70-C

Funny thing is, only after reading Stephane's book recently did I realize that both a 70-B and 70-C existed!

Reaction score

Very nice! Like the trilogo , you know I just haven't seen that many !

Great stuff
keep us updated!

Reaction score

I have had the pleasure of dealing with two fantastic forum members who have been absolutely unbelievable in helping with these additions!

First up is the ESB 41-back proof from Broc. I have updated with a larger picture now that I have it in hand. Thanks again!

Next up is an UZAY cardback with bubble, thanks to jedge2000. This one was definitely unexpected and most appreciated!

I have a few more things on the way eventually, including some custom cases from Oscar. A big thanks again to everyone on the forums who has contributed!

Reaction score

WOW what a greaht collection of DSD. I think the DSD moc are so cool.

Reaction score

Great Collection Jim and congrats on the new pieces !