MR Stormtrooper Helmet Questions - Resolution

Reaction score
I posted this a week ago in an xmas thread but it neve got answered so thought I'd start a new one as I'm sure there are many people out there interested in the new MR Stormtrooper helmet specs and Brian had volunteered some answers to questions....

Hi Brian,

Thats interesting news (concerning the spec of the forthcoming Fiberglass Hero Stormtrooper Helmet). I'm glad you went for asymmetry, like the originals

Can you confirm a few things:

1)What have you used for your "master", the Lucasfilm Archive Hero, or a Stunt helmet?

2)How have you replicated it, scanned?

3) Do you expect to "clean up" the look of the helmet much, maybe "symmetrise" it a bit?

4)Will this helmet be different from the Hero you showed a couple of years ago at the toy fair?

5)How will you bond the 4 parts together. Will they be glued or will you use bolts like Ainsworth did originally?

6) Will you use a rubber strip for the brow or will it be painted on?

7) When will you showing off pics?

FYI the original ANH helmets have silk screened stripes on the tubes. Decals werent used until ESB. Also I presume when you say faucet you mean a cast from a "Hovi Mix".

Thanks in advance, this sounds very promising

Cheers

Jez

Reaction score
Re: MR Stormtrooper Helmet Questions

I am pretty excited about this helmet. When ever we get the answers to the questions would be much appreciated. And by the way, good questions Jez!!

Reaction score

I'd still like to see the EE one come out that is symetrical...Not to sure about the wonky version

Reaction score

Maybe some more of us should reply to this thread to show MR we have an interest in getting these questions answered!

Reaction score

Right on Shock!! MR, we would like some answers. These are very important questions for some very hungry helmet hunters!!

Reaction score

This would be one of my most wanted helmets from MR. I would buy one without a doubt, but I would like to know what I am getting into first. Some answers would be great!

Reaction score

I plan on getting one, so I'd like additional info as well.

Reaction score

Does MR actually read this forum?

I'm wondering why its taking so long to answer, maybe at least some of the questions. Brian had said he was prepared to answer questions on the helmets in the Xmas thread - but nothing there either.

I dont think any of them are unreasonable, I just think people would like to know a little more about this product

Come on MR- Wake up!

Cheers

Jez

Reaction score

It appears that MR have abandoned RS...Probably going to have to hit up MR.com from now on

Reaction score

Why - Were they given a hard time?

Odd as I thought this was always a very MR-friendly board!

Cheers

Jez

riv

Reaction score

Bingo_Bongo said:

Jez

Do you even read this board?

Seriously though. After all the moaning and wailing that's gone on here at times, I don't blame MR for retreating to their own forum (now that they have 'em).

Reaction score

riv said:
Bingo_Bongo said:

Jez

Seriously though. After all the moaning and wailing that's gone on here at times, I don't blame MR for retreating to their own forum (now that they have 'em).
If they did retreat to there own forum at least let us know. So until they inform us, I think MR is unaware of our questions or just ignoring interests.

Reaction score

riv said:
Bingo_Bongo said:

Jez

I must admit Ive not been on much over the last year

In the early days (of their contribution on this board) everything was positive and I suppose they expected it to continue that way. However they made some mistakes and maybe didnt expect people to call them on them

As Sewbacca's said - if theyre gone they really should let us know!

Cheers

Jez

riv

Reaction score

Bingo_Bongo said:
riv said:
Bingo_Bongo said:

Jez

I must admit Ive not been on much over the last year

In the early days (of their contribution on this board) everything was positive and I suppose they expected it to continue that way. However they made some mistakes and maybe didnt expect people to call them on them

As Sewbacca's said - if theyre gone they really should let us know!

Cheers

Jez
Hope you didn't take offense at my earlier comment, was just being facetious.

Yeah, they've been hammered pretty badly here (and rightly so, in many cases) in the past year. So I'm not really surprised if they are in fact reducing their visibility here.

Reaction score

No problem Riv

I just find it a shame theyve deserted the place. Sure they made some mistakes but I'm surprised they didnt decide to ride it out and prove people wrong by coming up with more cool stuff.

I suppose the reality is that theyd rather be a part of a forum where they can control discussion

Maybe they're expecting more problems in the future

Cheers

Jez

Reaction score

"I do Panther but not as often just because I have been busy here. I don't have a chance to read over all of the threads everywhere right now. I do check the AskAmy frequently but if you have an urgent question you will be better of looking for me here. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANTHER96
Congrats Silver! Amy people are wondering if you still check out the RS forums?

Here is her answer from when I asked.

Reaction score

The MR folks don't make it into the RS forums as much as they once did, thanks to the advent of the MR Forums on their own site. You'd get a quicker response asking over there.

Reaction score

Thanks Ironfist.

TBH since posting my questions and now seeing the prototype I think we're all able to answer most of the questions...

1)What have you used for your "master", the Lucasfilm Archive Hero, or a Stunt helmet?
A MIXTURE OF THE TWO

WE LOOKED AT A FEW PHOTOS AND JUST WINGED IT

3) Do you expect to "clean up" the look of the helmet much, maybe "symmetrise" it a bit?
ABSOLUTELY-IN FACT TO PLEASE THE WARPED CROWD WE'VE ADDED A BUMP UNDER THE HERO'S EYE!!

4)Will this helmet be different from the Hero you showed a couple of years ago at the toy fair?
COMPLETELY. THE TOY FAIR 04 WAS DERIVED FROM A GF - THIS IS ENTIRELY DIFFERENT

5)How will you bond the 4 parts together. Will they be glued or will you use bolts like Ainsworth did originally?
THE HELMET WILL BE HELD TOGETHER BY THE FORCE

LOOKS LIKE A THIN RUBBER STRIP, LIKE TAPE

DONE

Bit of fun - sorry

Cheers

Jez

Reaction score

That was pretty funny!
I would like to see some answers to these question though...

Reaction score

Bingo_Bongo said:
Jez
Don't you mean folding brass paper clips? Cause that's what was in the AA helmet I saw

Reaction score

DukeJoey__of_ERG said:
Bingo_Bongo said:
Jez
Don't you mean folding brass paper clips? Cause that's what was in the AA helmet I saw
Again you knowledge of the facts seem woefully inadequate.

The original helmets made by Andrew Ainsworth for Star Wars were bolted together. As far as his more recent replicas again they were bolted together in two places over the ears and at the side of the neck - like the originals. I think some of the early helmets had an addiitonal hole (obscured by the ear) where a brass clip was used as a pivot point during the manual assebly by AA. However the 3 bolts on either side of the helmets were there to fully secure it.

Cheers

Jez

Reaction score

And your perception of truth seems absent. Again.
AA didn't assemble the replica helmets, letters about such were published on this forum, very unhappy customers hearing that the guy outsourced all the work to art students.
ALL of the drill holes were to be secured by bolts, and nothing else. I've seen a real helmet and proper replicas, nothing but bolts in there because that is accurate. Your master makes a lot of excuses, changes molds and swaps methods of assembly and yet STILL claims to make them the right way? Pick a way, accurate or handier to make, and stick with it.

Reaction score

DukeJoey__of_ERG said:
And your perception of truth seems absent. Again.
AA didn't assemble the replica helmets, letters about such were published on this forum, very unhappy customers hearing that the guy outsourced all the work to art students.
ALL of the drill holes were to be secured by bolts, and nothing else. I've seen a real helmet and proper replicas, nothing but bolts in there because that is accurate. Your master makes a lot of excuses, changes molds and swaps methods of assembly and yet STILL claims to make them the right way? Pick a way, accurate or handier to make, and stick with it.
Again you are incorrect JJ and as usual merely spouting the incorrect logic of your friend Trooper Expert

AA was the ONLY person who assembled helmets. The "infamous" Art Students were 2 girls who came in on a Saturday to paint the frowns, vocoders and apply decals. The photo of them was taken by a UK Garrison member when a group of us (including their Chief, Jon Harris) visited Andrews Twickenham studio some time in 2004. If you doubt my word (which I'm sure you do) why not ask these guys over at the UK Garrison forum rather than spreading more malicious lies?

The fact that AA may have added an addition pivot hole on a couple of replica helmets(obscured by the ears) just shows how low you are prepared to go to try and find some justification for your bitterness.

I give you verifiable facts, you provide petty rumour and warped reason.

Cheers

Jez

Reaction score

Oh I'm sorry, did I refer to the wrong lie? I'm humbled. It's funny how you try to refer to TE's friendship as some form of insult; the man is right, and your employer lied. I see you didn't dispute the altered shape of the helmets, so thanks.
What you call incorrect logic will so soon become public fact. Beyond having his great-grandchildren die in poverty because of him, AA is about to be splayed to the four winds as a fraud and surgically debunked on every statement he will make save for "My name is Andrew Ainsworth." I'm glad this isn't just about money or copyrights, because you would hide behind that after it's over. It's about truth and lies, and your camp has nothing but the latter. LFL is dying to disprove everything said and will do so.
Bitter? I didn't buy one. The only people that deserve bitterness are his customers.
Lie: Used original molds, because he doesn't have them, won't even try to produce a picture of them
Lie: did all the work
Lie: Has molds for TIE fighter, because he used someone else's as the template
Lie: Made the original armor molds, despite another sculptor with an actual history of costuming did (and will no doubt be heard from in the case) AND recast TE's suit to make the product that he sells
AA is a fraud, and had the greatest pitch of any con man in the industry that is falling apart around his ears. And you have the nerve to rebuke MR for using SDS images? They own the rights to do what they like. They paid for them.
So, I'd keep cutting your ties to AA were I you. MR has the rights to this, isn't charging ridiculous amounts for helmets like aa, and is on the warpath for a couple of guys with way too much, how shall I say it, cheek? Collectors will be here when the dust settles and will happily get MR's helmets. Your criticism is quite hypocritical, and endorsing AA on these boards is an insult to MR as a Rebelscum sponsor and licensed seller. I will get an MR when they go into production to round out my collection of helmets because I suspect they will not be what is shown. Even if it is, $100 for a decent stormtrooper without a fabricated parentage? Pretty good deal. There is nothing less professional or indicative of zero ground to stand on than the wars you have started with experienced and knowledgeable fans simply to plug SDS wares. You have a website, Congrats. My ten year old niece has one as well. It doesn't make you a ........(oh what the heck) trooper expert.
Go MR, I can't wait to see your final product.

Reaction score

I thinks its very unsavoury that you’ve tried constantly to take numerous threads off topic in your constant attempts to undermine SDS. I notice you’ve done the same to the SDS TIE thread also on this forum. I really think the mods to take note of your actions as I think many will find your postings aggressive and confrontationary.

I understand that you have a close relationship with Trooper Expert, but I do find it strange that you continue to try and “do his work” after he has been banned from so many forums (RPF, RPB, Sandtrooper/MEPD to name just three).

I am not an employee of Andrew Ainsworth, nor have ever been. Again I think your suggestion that I have distasteful given the legal action between LFL and SDS. Again I think the mods should act.

I wont credit your malicious and ill-informed statements with an answer, but lets just say that there is a Court Case going on in the UK where I am confident the truth will out. I’m quite happy to let due process take its course. However your ignorance to the facts of the case is overwhelming leading me to believe you have had no sight of any of the UK case notes, from LFL or SDS. Clearly you’re flying blind.

I have absolutely no issue with Master Replicas, and again you are clearly trying to make trouble. I own StarWarsHelmets.com and on that site described MR’s helmets (of which I own FOUR) as “its very hard to be critical of this helmet at all…..The build quality is really excellent, the detailing very nice and from a pricing perspective, $400 seems good value” , and of the Vader “MR's excellent Vader helmet from the new movie…. Bottom line is that this really is an excellent helmet despite the quality problems”. I therefore don’t believed I can be viewed as a “MR-basher” and my post here was only concerned at MR’s lack of willingness to answer some fair questions – that is all.

Finally, your comments about Ainsworth “having his great-grandchildren die in poverty” are again IMO completely unacceptable in a forum such as this.

Shame on you – take your personal battles elsewhere!

Cheers

Jez

Reaction score

The proper act would be the cessation of AA discussion on this board. No other replica producers have reason to be here to answer for or insult MR.

Reaction score

I find it interesting that you want to censure any discussions about SDS/AA.

It suggests to me that even you now see your argument as completely baseless!

Cheers

Jez

Reaction score
I bumped into Bryan at the MR Forums and took it upon myself to get answers to your questions. Let's hear it from Bryan himself:

OK, here are my answers in CAPITAL LETTERS below:

<font color="blue">(IronFist note: The following answer in blue was given to another Stormy question, but had important info that fit in here. When the blue stops, we begin Bryan's actual answers to these questions.) WE RECREATING THE HERO VERSION OF THE STORMTROOPER HELMET. WE HAD AN ACTUAL HELMET AND SCANNED AND CAST THE HELMET. AS MOST OF YOU KNOW, THESE WERE VACUUM FORMED, SO WHAT WE DID WAS TAKE THE SCAN AND THEN RECREATED THE INSIDE OF THE HELMET, WHICH IS MORE PRECISE THAN THE OUTSIDE. FROM THAT INFORMATION, WE WERE ABLE TO MAKE THE OUTSIDE. . . (DID THAT MAKE SENSE?)

WE ARE USING THE PAINT SCHEME FROM THE HERO VERSION THAT IS IN THE ARCHIVES AND ALSO WITH THE BUBBLE LENSES.</font>

WE ACTUALLY USED A STUNT HELMET, BUT THROUGH OUR RESEARCH THE VACUUM FORM MOLD WAS THE SAME FOR BOTH THE HERO AND THE STUNT. THAT IS WHY WE WORKED FROM THE INSIDE OUT

WE HAD IT BOTH SCANNED AND CAST

THE HELMET IS ASSYMETRICAL LIKE THE ORIGINAL

THIS IS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT HELMET! THE ONE THAT WAS SHOWN A COUPLE YEARS AGO WAS BASED ON SEVERAL REFERENCE HELMETS THAT WE HAD ACCESS TO, BUT IT WAS NOT SCANNED.

WELL, WE STARTED WITH 4 PIECES, THE FACE, DOME AND 2 EARS. BUT DUE TO FIT ISSUES, WE ARE NOW MAKING IT IN 1 PIECE. WE WERE GOING BACJ AND FILLING IN THE GAPS, AND THEN WE THOUGHT, WHY ARE WE DOING THIS? SO IT IS ONE PIECE.

THE BROW IS RUBBER

HOPEFULLY WE WILL HAVE A SAMPLE TO SHOW IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS. THE PAINT ON THE SAMPLE AT TOY FAIR WAS NOT CORRECT.

Reaction score
I am hoping against hope that the finished product looks more pronounced in terms of the Hero origin.

Reaction score

Bingo_Bongo said:
I find it interesting that you want to censure any discussions about SDS/AA.

It suggests to me that even you now see your argument as completely baseless!
Not going to baited further, thanks.