Movie Heroes / Discover the Force - General Discussion Thread

Reaction score
I thought Hasbro mentioned they were planned for 2013, but they've hit here in Germany already. I haven't seen them yet, but I've heard reports of them being in my area. I have seen a number of Wave 3 figures lately and some stores seem to have a ton of MH (older waves), so I don't know if they're really selling or if stores are expecting brisker business for Christmas.

Reaction score
I don't visit this section often. I just felt like asking, is it fairly unanimous that this is in fact the worst excuse for a figure assortment that Hasbro has ever foisted on us? Because I'm hard-pressed to come up with anything worse. Even the Saga Legends days were more a tragedy of repetition than pureblooded crappiness.

I don't check any of these figures at the store, for the simple sad reason that there's nothing worth buying. I'm still peeved that I fell for that wave 2 Maul statue, and the light-up figures are an unnecessary joke. Discover the Force is exempt of course since it was basically decent, and the new figures were great (and that's the line they made Wal Mart exclusive? wtf).

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't visit this section often. I just felt like asking, is it fairly unanimous that this is in fact the worst excuse for a figure assortment that Hasbro has ever foisted on us? Because I'm hard-pressed to come up with anything worse. Even the Saga Legends days were more a tragedy of repetition than pureblooded crappiness.

I don't check any of these figures at the store, for the simple sad reason that there's nothing worth buying. I'm still peeved that I fell for that wave 2 Maul statue, and the light-up figures are an unnecessary joke. Discover the Force is exempt of course since it was basically decent, and the new figures were great (and that's the line they made Wal Mart exclusive? wtf).
I think Wave 2 and 3 were okay, the first was definitely one of the worst excuses for "new" product in the time that I've been collecting. I personally love the light-up figures, partly because I like cool gimmicks like that every now and then, and partly because it was something new to break up the monotony of repacks upon repacks. I think Hasbro has come around a little bit with this line, as the lack of sales is definitely evident nationwide, if not globally. I'm definitely in the minority here, but I was glad that they used some of the older products so I could catch up on stuff that I missed out on the first time through, specifically the Class I vehicle sets. I started collecting in 2005, so while some folks here have seen this stuff time and again, it was the first time for me and I took full advantage of that.

I'm actually decently excited for the line up this next year so far, with the exception of those ridiculously undersized Class II vehicles, I refuse to re-buy things that have been downgraded like that when I already own perfectly good, functional versions of the vehicles that are more appropriately scaled in my opinion. I'm definitely getting the first wave of the Class I vehicles though, and put me down for any more light up figures that they release.

Reaction score
I saw the 501st minirig in TRU today and noticed that there was yellow/greenish-yellow discoloration on the elbow and wrist of the clone trooper. Has anyone else noticed this?

I left him on the shelf b/c of the discoloration.

Reaction score
Does anyone know what is up with wave 4 of these movie heroes figures?

Are the sandtrooper, battle droid, boba, anakin expected to hit the states?

Are case assortments for them even available anywhere? entertainment earth? brians toys? anywhere?

Or are these just euro/asian blowouts????
I was curious about these figures as well... I'm still looking for the MH Padme and Jar Jar figures. was lucky to find a light up Darth a few weeks back

Reaction score
I was curious about these figures as well... I'm still looking for the MH Padme and Jar Jar figures. was lucky to find a light up Darth a few weeks back
Me too. I was hoping these might trickle out a bit more after Christmas. I never saw this wave at all, and I really want the Padme in particular. :\

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Clone Wars and Movie Heroes lines are both Active at Target, while the Vintage Collection is Active-NCF and "Droid Factory" discontinued.

Considering the Target information is what prompted the Hasbro announcement, I see no reason to think either line is ending. With no Legacy in stores, Hasbro may actually increase the number of figures in both lines. Repacks, not new figures, but a wider range of characters.

Reaction score
I saw the 501st minirig in TRU today and noticed that there was yellow/greenish-yellow discoloration on the elbow and wrist of the clone trooper. Has anyone else noticed this?

I left him on the shelf b/c of the discoloration.
You have GOT to be kidding... those poor Clones.

Bad enough some trooper figures start yellowing after a few years (I'm looking at you, VTSC Scout Trooper!), but for them to be yellowing before they are even bought (like the Vintage Utapau Clone) is just plain embarrassing for Hasbro, and for the retailer as well.

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, now that DF has been cancelled are they still moving forward with this line like, Boba, the BD, etc?

From what I've read, we'll see the wave with the sandtrooper, Boba Fett, and E3 Anakin this spring along with the "best of" TVC cases, the 1 wave of TCW (Maul, Savage), the 4 Class I and the four Class II vehicles.

I guess TF will give us some info as to whether MH will still be around in the fall.

Reaction score
I was at Alco yesterday and decided to look at their selection of Star Wars figures. For those who might not know, Alco is a regional retailer that is mostly centered in the midwest and southwest United States. Anyways, their prices are usually higher than places like Walmart or Target, however the prices of the big name retail chains usually catch up with Alco after 2-3 years.

So, I wonder if this is a harbinger of things to come in the Star Wars aisles (look at the price tags):

Alco was charging $8 for Star Wars figures in 2006 and the MSRP rose to about that point by 2009. In 2009, Alco was charging $10 per figure, which is the current price at Walmart, Target, TRU, etc. Now, I'm wondering if $12.99 is going to be the standard price for action figures by 2015.

Reaction score
If the Class I vehicles are in the $20-25 range (1 small ship plus 2 figures), then Hasbro is going to have to target some pretty stupid parents to buy 1 figure $13.

Reaction score
Its not as hard to pay $13 for some of the greatest vintage figures from 2012, but $13 for an MH figure is an insult. A lot of those sculpts are twice as old as the kids they are trying to sell them to. I cant see an MH type line surviving at $13 a pop. To be honest, I think action figures will be a harder sell to not only kids and casual fans if the prices keep going up, but as we've seen lately, to collectors as well.

Reaction score
So, according to RS news, we'll be seeing the light-up Anakin and Sandtrooper figures in the first wave of 2013 figures. Unfortunately we're also getting that "spinning" Yoda, the Maul from last year's Wave 2, Evolutions Jango Fett, light-up saber Vader, and Obi-Wan Kenobi.

This wave simply screams "Clearance!"

Reaction score
Finding an animated Clone Wars Anakin Skywalker figure from the Discover the Force line would be nice but stores as of right now they're swamped with alot of battle droids, super battle droids and aqua battle droids and animated Clone Wars clone troopers

Reaction score
I can kind of understand the first wave being like that, but they better get busy infusing the line with some newer repacks.
The same old crap year after year is getting stale, and they're honestly expecting people to pay a higher price for them!

Why in the world would anyone pay the same price for, in some cases a ten year old figure, when you can get a brand new figure in the basic line?!

Reaction score
Its not as hard to pay $13 for some of the greatest vintage figures from 2012, but $13 for an MH figure is an insult. A lot of those sculpts are twice as old as the kids they are trying to sell them to. I cant see an MH type line surviving at $13 a pop. To be honest, I think action figures will be a harder sell to not only kids and casual fans if the prices keep going up, but as we've seen lately, to collectors as well.
Yeah, if we were getting 12 new figures in each wave, all super-articulated, no more mismatched joints or missing paint apps, and no more carry-forwards/repacks/kitbashes, then $13 a figure would almost feel like a bargain. However, I agree, $13 for a repack of a 14-year-old figure is a slap in the face.

I don't believe the line is sustainable at that price.

Reaction score
Yeah, if we were getting 12 new figures in each wave, all super-articulated, no more mismatched joints or missing paint apps, and no more carry-forwards/repacks/kitbashes, then $13 a figure would almost feel like a bargain. However, I agree, $13 for a repack of a 14-year-old figure is a slap in the face.

I don't believe the line is sustainable at that price.
I agree 100%.

Considering the competition from Lego and electronic gizmos for children's attention spans, Hasbro should at least lower the price somewhat if they're not going to do better with their action figure offerings. If collectors are finding this stuff a poor value, then parents surely are as well, and will vote with their wallets; and I've always heard that it is the kids, more so than the collectors, that support the line.

Hasbro better get a clue, and right quick.

Reaction score
I think we all understand that repaints, retools, and repacks will always be part of these lines, but how Hasbro goes about it is what upsets a number of people. I think its insulting to release some of those old figures at those inflated prices, its basically assuming that the consumers buying them (parents, kids, etc) are stupid and dont know any better. If Hasbro insists on putting that type of stuff out, they should drop the MSRP to $7. I think the 2013 light-up figures are great for kids, and are the only thing worth whats being charged for the MH line. Personally, I'd like to see the light-up figures in the basic line, and the entire MH line phased out.

Reaction score
The 2013 MH line-up looks like it continues the uninspired rereleases. Spinning Yoda and Obi Wan again?!

At least the light up anakin and sandtrooper will be easier to get for those that want them...

Reaction score
They could have at least FINALLY fixed Jango's color, then maybe he would have at least sold decently, but nope! ...even more purple than the last.:\

Reaction score
I think the 2013 light-up figures are great for kids, and are the only thing worth whats being charged for the MH line. Personally, I'd like to see the light-up figures in the basic line, and the entire MH line phased out.
That's the thing though, they have to charge more for the new tooling and the lighting feature.
So that means packing those figures with repacks would be needed to cost them out, as for the increase I'm not quite sure what's the excuse for that.
Even if you pay $13 for the newish light up figure and are fine with it, who the heck is even going to consider the other garbage at that price!

Reaction score
The standards have sunk so low that I'm almost impressed by a reissue of a fully-articulated Jango. o-o

Somebody needs to do us all a favor and throw that Kenobi mold into the ocean. I can't believe that they are giving it another round after that atrocious Battle Pack. Did that pack sell like gangbusters anywhere? Am I missing something?

Beyond my own personal disappointment, I feel bad for Hasbro. Watching the progress of this line is like watching a kid hit himself repeatedly over the head with a plank of wood. Just. Please. Stop...

Reaction score
That's the thing though, they have to charge more for the new tooling and the lighting feature.
So that means packing those figures with repacks would be needed to cost them out, as for the increase I'm not quite sure what's the excuse for that.
Even if you pay $13 for the newish light up figure and are fine with it, who the heck is even going to consider the other garbage at that price!
There are going to be repacks which are cheap for Hasbro to produce in any line they put out, so why not toss the light-up figures into the basic line and stop releasing garbage all together in the MH line? You're right - and as I said, I dont think many people will spend $13 for any of those figures. I dont think $13 is a good price for the light-up figures, I was referring to the current national retailer prices for MH, which are around $9-10. I think a basic line at $10 a pop would work well, made up of both kid and collector targeted figures. Hasbro and retailers are pushing the limits by asking for more - as collectors we might be willing to spend $13 for some figures - but will kids? I'm not concerned about Hasbros tooling costs anymore because its an excuse they use too often. All toy companies have those costs and still put out new products. We shouldnt be naive, even at $10 a pop, Hasbro is still making a ton of profit off all their lines, even with rising costs to them. A healthy profit margin is good, but trying to sell a figure that was once $5, and is sub-par by todays standards for $10-13 all these years later is truly insulting to consumers.

Reaction score
Somebody needs to do us all a favor and throw that Kenobi mold into the ocean. I can't believe that they are giving it another round after that atrocious Battle Pack. Did that pack sell like gangbusters anywhere? Am I missing something?
His hands are bigger than his head,lol

What a craptacular assortment.

Reaction score
im really thinking theyre giving up on this line,maybe theyre just bleeding it till it dies completely.the effort is totally absent,they clearly pulled the plug

Reaction score
Where are you guys seeing this stuff? I can't find it.

Edit! Nevermind, I found it. I thought it was something shown at UK Toy Fair but now I see it was a link to early Ebay auctions. Yeah, that line-up is pretty atrocious. Hopefully they got something good lined up for the 3D releases or else this line is totally dead.

Last edited:
Reaction score
2012's Movie Heroes assortment was dead on arrival. As soon as it showed up at my Wal Mart it just sat there. Toys R Us had a buy 2-get-1-free sale, and the glut didn't move, because it still wasn't worth the asking price. Most kid collectors are too distinguishing to waste their allowance on crap rereleases (I should know; that was me once), and even the kids who don't distinguish would already have most of the figures being offered this year. Which means Hasbro is basing their ENTIRE STRATEGY for this line around the kids who will walk into a store this year and go "Duh, what's Star Wars?"

To which the parent would go, "Oh, how much is it? Ten dollars each? No."

I reiterate. Does Hasbro Star Wars have a death wish?

"Ow! That hurt. Ow! That hurt. Ow! That hurt."

Last edited:
Reaction score
so the modern.checklist seems incomplete. the last figures I bought were vtoc tarkin wave, red phase 2 clone and wolffe, mtt and today I grabbed the mini mtt fighter. what's coming soon or has came out recently? I'mconfused. this stuff used to be easy.

Reaction score
The standards have sunk so low that I'm almost impressed by a reissue of a fully-articulated Jango. o-o

I simply can't believe they're putting that horrid Kenobi figure out as a single carded figure offering. Of all the dumb things Hasbro has done in the past, that has got to be one of the dumbest. I don't think they're really even trying any more. I can think of easily a couple dozen other figures off the top of my head that would make more sense to slap on a card than that thing.

I don't mean to whine, but collecting this line has been a hobby of mine since 1995, and to see it given such short shrift as this makes me sad.

Reaction score
Is there any economic reason for using that 2002 Obi and not the newer AOTC version? I mean, I assume once a mold is made the cost of the plastic to make a figure from either mold is going to be about the same. I know the newer version has more joints and that means more "putting the figure together" stages in production, but does Hasbro micro manage that far into figure making?

I have a feeling they made a ton of that Kenobi and then split him up between that horrible BP with Jango and the BD and the rest went for this year's MH line. I guess they needed to make x amount to make the process profitable.

Reaction score
Yes, they do micro manage articulation. They've admitted it several times, and even made silly statements like they "couldnt afford" to give a figure ankle, knee, etc articulation, lol. Thats also why many figures (MH & CW) have been losing articulation recently, they are cheaper to produce, and according to Hasbro, kids dont care about articulation anyway. They repack a number of sub-par figures because they want optimal profit. Its hard to believe anyone would buy that stuff though - other than an unknowing kid or parent that doesnt realize they're buying a figure from a decade ago, that they could likely buy on ebay for a dollar or two...

Reaction score
according to Hasbro, kids dont care about articulation anyway.
I remember caring A LOT about articulation as a kid. I got into G.I. Joe after Star Wars, and I loved their range of motion; I remember wishing Star Wars action figures were made that way. I'm sure I'm not the only kid who cared. Thinking back to those times...we were all pretty serious about our toys. Of course that was before sophisticated video games...now, who knows?