Most expensive/rare thing you’ve lost/accidentally thrown away?

Reaction score
I’m currently wallowing in regret at the fact that I accidentally threw away a box in a move that contained almost the entirety of that legacy collection “Scramble at Yavin” battle pack. Only just got back into 3.75 inch collecting some time after that only to find that battle pack is insanely expensive now. Care to cheer me up with any of your own horror stories?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I was 13 when my folks split up and I brought all my Star Wars, GI Joes and Transformers with me from California to Washington. I only lasted about 5 months before I was miserable living up in the cold rainy weather. I decided to move back with my dad, but was "told" I could only fit one box of figures in the truck ride back to California...I chose my Star Wars figures (6 vinyl cases worth). About 5 years later I made a trip back to Washington and headed straight toward the garage area that I stored two huge boxes of my GI Joes and Transformers (I had almost every one, plus many vehicles). None were there. I asked my mom where they were and she nonchalantly told me that my uncle probably gave them away to his ex-girlfriend's kids. My heart sank. She still blows it off to this day, not knowing how much they meant to me. So much of my childhood gone because I wasn't allowed the space in the truck for the road trip back (when there was actually plenty of space). I still regret not insisting they come back with me on that trip.

Reaction score
I was 13 when my folks split up and I brought all my Star Wars, GI Joes and Transformers with me from California to Washington. I only lasted about 5 months before I was miserable living up in the cold rainy weather. I decided to move back with my dad, but was "told" I could only fit one box of figures in the truck ride back to California...I chose my Star Wars figures (6 vinyl cases worth). About 5 years later I made a trip back to Washington and headed straight toward the garage area that I stored two huge boxes of my GI Joes and Transformers (I had almost every one, plus many vehicles). None were there. I asked my mom where they were and she nonchalantly told me that my uncle probably gave them away to his ex-girlfriend's kids. My heart sank. She still blows it off to this day, not knowing how much they meant to me. So much of my childhood gone because I wasn't allowed the space in the truck for the road trip back (when there was actually plenty of space). I still regret not insisting they come back with me on that trip.
Ouch, that’s rough :/ Growing up my mom was a huge minimalist and kinda didn’t like to keep old things that weren’t being used around, so the oldest childhood toy I have might be from as recent as 2007-8. All of my original Star Wars toys came from the attack of the clones era and I don’t think any of that survived into 2004 knowing her lol. I may have a book or two in my attic and some dinosaurs but yeah I know how it feels to just suddenly have childhood toys disappear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
My parents threw out a 'briefcase full of broken pieces of toys'. It was actually every TMNT, Ghostbusters, g.i. joe, crash test dummies and power rangers accessory i had meticulously kept, baggied and labelled as a child so i wouldnt forget the corresponding figure as an adult. I had almost every one of the TMNT, Ghostbusters, and crash test dummy toys.

I told my parents (rather dramatically) that aside from throwing away my childhood, they also devalued everything i own by about 100%.

They took that as reason enough to use my remaining boxes of figures to stop the basement from flooding.

Needless to say its pretty much all ruined now.

:/

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Your parents don't seem like very nice people.
There is a large age gap between me and my parents. Im a millennial, and they were basically alive during the industrial revolution. I think their honest to god thought was "this is all garbage" and "he should be thankful he had these things in the first place".

I love my parents but prolonged exposure isnt good for anyone.

Reaction score
My parents threw out a 'briefcase full of broken pieces of toys'. It was actually every TMNT, Ghostbusters, g.i. joe, crash test dummies and power rangers accessory i had meticulously kept, baggied and labelled as a child so i wouldnt forget the corresponding figure as an adult. I had almost every one of the TMNT, Ghostbusters, and crash test dummy toys.

I told my parents (rather dramatically) that aside from throwing away my childhood, they also devalued everything i own by about 100%.

They took that as reason enough to use my remaining boxes of figures to stop the basement from flooding.

Needless to say its pretty much all ruined now.

:/

Ugh! I feel for you, man!

Reaction score
Yes, once I lost my sister's earrings when I take ie for fixing, she wasn't happy, but it's not the worst case. When I was younger and gathered with my friends in my house, I noticed that my golden bracelet disappeared and some other stuff. I still don't know who was it, but I'm trying to be more careful and now I don't trust people the way I did.

Reaction score
Actually not a thrown away or loosing story but it still it f*cks me up till today. I collected Basketball cards in the 90s and drew two pretty sick deck of cards in a row. One pack was called "hot pack" or something, so you would get about 6 cards of the same type with the label "hot pack" on them. Jordan was in that deck of cards too, so the second deck I drew had the same Jordan card just without the label "hot pack" which made it more valuable. The comic book store owner saw it and asked me if I wanted to trade it, telling me it wasn't worth much, the hot pack would be more valuable - Little did I know it was the other way around - and yes I did trade it. I was about 10 or 11 years old, last time I got ripped off by an adult or by anybody in general concerning collecting.

Reaction score
Well, it wasn't accidental, or thrown away, but when I was probably 12, I sold my vintage SW toys in a garage sale.
Death Star, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Landspeeder, first 12 figures, plus several of the Fisher Price Adventure People sets, Safari set etc.

All for $20 total.

To the idiot neighbor kids, who later said they broke or lost everything.

Reaction score
Not lost/accidentally thrown away, but I sold off my Action Fleet collection around 2006. My friends even told me I would miss them. I thought I was out of collecting at that point. About a year or so later they were right, and I started collecting them again. Now, just over 10 years later I finished off my collection.

I should have never sold them in the first place.

Reaction score
These are sad stories. The worst I can recall is losing my original vintage Amanaman and EV-9D9. They disappeared about ten years ago and I’ve never been able to find them. I replaced one, but not the other. :whistling:

Reaction score
i was looking through the mini rig listings on ebay the other day and made a disturbing discovery. while i dont remember owning it im fairly certain i had a security scout mini rig as a kid and i didnt know what it was
and sold it in 2005 with my other non essential childhood toys. i mean it looks like some crap from barnyard commandos or robotech or something i didnt know it was star wars :O
and while not expensive when i was young flint from gi joe went mia and was never found. while i found one on ebay (with no gun) i still wonder what became of him.

Reaction score
I was a child in the 70s and I was able to get the early Star Wars figures that year. My mom somehow made it a priority and I got all the figures including a Vinyl Cape Jawa. Well he was pretty small and felt out of place with the other figures aside from R2. But as time went on and I got a RC Jawa Sandcrawler, I expanded my Jawa population through trade with neighborhood kids and picked up another 5 or 6 Cloth Jawas. I kept my figures in good shape and protected my collection that I still have to this day. But I never did care for that cheap plastic cape in comparision to the much nicer cloth ones.

Fast forward many years and I hear about how one of the most valuable SW figures is a VC Jawa. Ha! I think to myself, I have one of those. So the next time I head over to parents and my childhood home, I head down to the basement and find that GI Joe Footlocker that contains my 52 SW Vintage figures. I did and find all of my Jawas, but no Vinyl cape.

Not sure what ever happened to it, but it has been no where to be found. Plus over the years the Jawas swapped capes all the time, so I'm not even sure which of my remaining jawas was the original VC Jawa. I read somewhere the eyes are painted closer together on the VC Jawa, so there is hope that I could identify him, but without the orig cape, it really doesn't end up making a difference.

Oh, and Yes, I do still have the Sandcrawler and its stairs are in great shape.