Mos Eisley Cantina 1/6 Statues: Looking for More

Reaction score

MOS EISLEY CANTINA: LOOKING FOR MORE 1/6 SCALE STATUES

The jaw dropping Mos Eisley Cantina with its wretched hive of scum and villainy is one of the most recognizable environments from the Original Trilogy, and much a part of our collective cinematic memory; it's a source of mystery that has endured the test of time and still fascinates most viewers today..

A few years ago, and dealing directly with this scene in the film, Gentle Gentle offered three of what a good number of folks collecting their product see as their best 1/6 scale statues. The Cantina Alien Statues, as they are referred to frequently, included Greedo, Ponda Baba and Blue Snaggletooth. Two of these (Greedo and Ponda Boba) were given black rectangular bases with an attached piece of the Cantina bar countertop for each character to lean on. Snaggletooth, on the other hand, was placed in the center of a black round base, sitting on a Cantina bar stool. All three show a high level of detail and their poses are rather appealing. Then everything stopped ...

For years now many collectors have been left with a thirst for more of these Cantina Alien Statues to be produced, as recorded by online discussions in forums and social media. Recently the conversation has surfaced once again, at a time where it seems Gentle Giant Studios are listening to collectors' wishes and producing some obscure characters for its mini bust line that truly did not stand much of a chance in the past. With that in mind, and once again as an effort looking forward to get into our collection more of what's been desirable for a while, this thread intends to discuss all characters we would like to see produced from the infamous Mos Eisley Cantina as 1/6 statues, which would be the perfect size to really bring all their details to life. Furthermore, choosing the one Cantina statue with the most entries, would give us all a specific character to target and one to rally behind as the one for Gentle Giant to produce next. Nothing is for sure in this world of ours. Nothing can assure our effort will produce what we want, BUT rather than to do nothing, we owe it to ourselves as a community to, at least ... try!

- What Cantina character statue would you like to see produced next?

- Would you like GG to use the same rectangular and round plain base surfaces they used for the previous three or would you be rather interested in sandy bases instead?

YOUR CHOICE. YOUR SELECTION. OUR EFFORT!

Flashback: Pictures of the Cantina set

The ‘Blob Alien’, a.k.a. Wioslea, From the London Cantina Shoot

George Lucas “came in with a drawing of a multi-eyed blob that he’d done while sitting in the airport, and yeah, we built it, and we all hated it,” makeup artist Nick Maley says of this creature

Rick Baker’s Makeup Crew in L.A. with Cantina Masks

Pioneering effects artist Rick Baker was in charge of creature design for the second cantina shoot in Los Angeles. The core crew consisted of friends from his stop-motion animation days. From left: Laine Liska, Phil Tippett, Jon Berg, Doug Beswick, and Rick Baker

Masks Created for the Second Cantina Shoot

The creatures’ on-set nicknames included Yam Nose (far left), Hammerhead (second-to-left), Google-Eyes (identical aliens at center), and Skull Head (far right). Note also the cantina band mask at upper right

Doug Beswick Sculpts the Masks for the Cantina Band

Note the second mouth on the creature’s neck, as seen in Rick Baker’s concept sketches at right.

Rick Baker’s Werewolf and Devil Masks

Baker offered these masks from his personal collection to Lucas, telling him they could be “stuck in the background.” To his surprise, close-ups of both creatures made the final

Hen Dazon

the alien was nothing but a mask with a sleeve from his neck down that makeup artist Laine Liska would move around. The eyes of the alien were illuminated by a flashlight shoved in the back of his head/mask.

Original Sketches for Hem Dazon and Finished Masks

At left, sketches by Laine Liska (bottom left) and Rick Baker (upper right) for the alien who pops up at the beginning of the cantina scene. The finished mask, fabricated by Liska, is shown on the right with the heads of Greedo and a cyclops alien

Skull and Devil Masks from L.A. Cantina

At center, the original masks for Skull Head (Elis Helrot) and Louie the Devil (Kardue'sai'Malloc) as they look today. The outside images show the masks in 1977 at Rick Baker’s studio

The London Cantina Set

A wide shot of the original cantina set. Check out all the aliens characters around.

More characters from the Cantina:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awesome ! Very glad you started this thread. That's a much better intro into the topic than I would have done !
There are many possible choices for this line. , maybe even a two pack sharing one more piece of the bar countertop ! But for me , when I think cantina , my mind always goes straight to one character first , Arcona alien Hem Dazon ! The weird shape of his head and those awesome glittering eyes get me every time. I'd love to see him as a 1/6 scale full body statue hanging out at the bar ! He gets my vote !

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Hank, thanks for the idea to come up with a thread related to having more of these statues made!

Hem Dazon, the alien from the first picture you've posted, has always been the first alien that comes to mind every time I think about that scene. Love the triangular shape of his head. Bon Vimdin with his creepy black eyeballs and horn on his head is quite noticeable as well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Okay, Okay seriously here is my vote LOL:

I always loved this character from the first time I saw the movie. I even loved the action figure with the blue one piece on, which is probably what most people remember.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Haha! For a moment there I thought you really wanted Bea Arthur! :) Hammerhead it is.

Let the voting begin! :)

- Hem Dazon: ATATDRIVER

- Hammerhead: LightSword

- Hammerhead : Django

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hammerhead would be great also. But , I figured since we already have a minibust of him , I'd go with ole glitter eyes instead. Although he'd make a great minibust himself ! Decisions decisions , lol.

Reaction score
Wuher gets my vote! Gotta have someone to serve the drinks after all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Haha! For a moment there I thought you really wanted Bea Arthur! :) Hammerhead it is.

Let the voting begin! :)

Yea, I mean Golden Girls was awesome and all that (not really) but any time I can reference the "SW Holiday Special" I just can't pass LOL.

I also wanted to say Snaggletooth is one of the nicer statues, especially the wink to the rare Blue version with the silver moon boots. I loved that they included sections of the cantina on the bases. I do not like the HUGE square of circular bases from GG either however if they were to continue this line, it would be weird to get awesome sand tile bases going forward and have the old black shiny ones for the completist out there.

It's like at my job, if someone did art in one style (no matter how gaudy or bad) and used certain colors and I have to simply update an image or two I have to emulate their style or colors to give the manual one consistent look. Or redo all the illustrations. So in this case I think with three nice statues already done in this line you have to keep the black bases going forward.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Great background info and photos in the first post Julian. Nice job!
I didn't know that Duros was AKA Google eyes. Now he absolutely gets my vote!
I think it would be nice if we could rally behind a character that has not been done before (including in mini bust form) for our statue pick just to add some variety to our shelves.

Reaction score
They could do a new tiled floor base design with the new ones , and with each new one they could include a drop in tile base cover for one of the old ones. For instance Hammerhead could come with a tile base cover for Blue Snaggletooth. And the new Arcona statue could come with a tile base cover for Walrusman. And the new ones with bar pieces should butt-up to the previously released ones with bar pieces.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Hammerhead would be great also. But , I figured since we already have a minibust of him , I'd go with ole glitter eyes instead. Although he'd make a great minibust himself ! Decisions decisions , lol.

I hear you. The problem is, I want every alien in that scene made, so it is so hard to choose. I'd love to see Hem Dazon as a mini bust as well. Since all we get to see is his head in the film, something along the lines of what Hasbro did in 2006 with the action figure would be nice.

Reaction score
Wuher gets my vote! Gotta have someone to serve the drinks after all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've added your vote to the list, bighead5, but I want to make sure everyone is on the same page about the type of characters we are going after for that particular scene. That said, would you guys want to include non-alien characters like Wuher, Bo Shek, ect, or would you just want weird alien characters? Personally, I'm fine with whatever the majority decides on it as a group.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well you know what I’m going to say, I’ll take the lot as long as we’re talking mini-busts..., still find it amazing to say though as when I started collecting I couldn’t stand half statues & only wanted proper whole characters. Obviously tastes change over time & mini-busts are my thing, it’s always nice to see a new statue especially in the correct 1:6 scale size, until this year I had the lot (made to date) but space & circumstances changed how & what I collect. Wouldn’t mind seeing new characters being made for more than just the mini-bust line & who knows maybe something will turn up that’s too impressive not to buy. :)

Reaction score
Yea, I mean Golden Girls was awesome and all that (not really) but any time I can reference the "SW Holiday Special" I just can't pass LOL.

I also wanted to say Snaggletooth is one of the nicer statues, especially the wink to the rare Blue version with the silver moon boots. I loved that they included sections of the cantina on the bases. I do not like the HUGE square of circular bases from GG either however if they were to continue this line, it would be weird to get awesome sand tile bases going forward and have the old black shiny ones for the completist out there.

It's like at my job, if someone did art in one style (no matter how gaudy or bad) and used certain colors and I have to simply update an image or two I have to emulate their style or colors to give the manual one consistent look. Or redo all the illustrations. So in this case I think with three nice statues already done in this line you have to keep the black bases going forward.
Indeed. Visual consistency is quite important when linking objects to a particular style and thus helping maintain uniformity. While I prefer environmental bases, as in this case the sand from the Cantina floor would be, because of the three previous statues having a particular set style for their bases , they should continue with that same style if any others get made. The reason why I posted the question above is because there's been talk in the past about the rather plain look of the floor for those three statues, and it would be interesting to know how everyone feels about it. I believe it was Ben that, very creatively, cut out pieces of sand paper to give his statues that sandy base look.

Reaction score
Well you know what I’m going to say, I’ll take the lot as long as we’re talking mini-busts..., still find it amazing to say though as when I started collecting I couldn’t stand half statues & only wanted proper whole characters. Obviously tastes change over time & mini-busts are my thing, it’s always nice to see a new statue especially in the correct 1:6 scale size, until this year I had the lot (made to date) but space & circumstances changed how & what I collect. Wouldn’t mind seeing new characters being made for more than just the mini-bust line & who knows maybe something will turn up that’s too impressive not to buy. :)
So in that sense, Kevin, what particular statue in your opionion from that scene you feel should get made first? :)

Reaction score
Great background info and photos in the first post Julian. Nice job!
I didn't know that Duros was AKA Google eyes. Now he absolutely gets my vote!
I think it would be nice if we could rally behind a character that has not been done before (including in mini bust form) for our statue pick just to add some variety to our shelves.
Thank you, Ben. I had a feeling you would say Duros. I remember that is also your favorite character as a mini bust. I agree a never before made character would be awesome to see. I'll add your vote to the list for Duros AKA Google Eyes :)

Reaction score
They could do a new tiled floor base design with the new ones , and with each new one they could include a drop in tile base cover for one of the old ones. For instance Hammerhead could come with a tile base cover for Blue Snaggletooth. And the new Arcona statue could come with a tile base cover for Walrusman. And the new ones with bar pieces should butt-up to the previously released ones with bar pieces.
That's a great idea, Hank. I'm just wondering if they'll go as far as being so meticulous with the design, but if they ever produce the statues and add your suggested base covers, wow, that'd be something I'd dig into for sure. Great idea!

Reaction score
MOS EISLEY CANTINA 1/6 SCALE STATUES
What character would you like to see next

- Duros : BenObi_70

- Wuher: bighead5

-
Kardue'sai'Malloc: kevb0977

Last edited:
Reaction score
That's a great idea, Hank. I'm just wondering if they'll go as far as being so meticulous with the design, but if they ever produce the statues and add your suggested base covers, wow, that'd be something I'd dig into for sure. Great idea!
Thanks , yeah I dont know if that's something they would ever do. But. If so it'd look awesome all lined up together to make one long bar scene ! I think Wuher would be cool. He'd be on the opposite side of his bar section pouring drinks looking pissed off. Maybe make his section include a short alien standing in front of the bar so it doesn't block Wuher , but adds another character to liven up the front side of Wuher's statue. And yes a Duros would be nice too. All good ideas so far.

Reaction score
So in that sense, Kevin, what particular statue in your opionion from that scene you feel should get made first? :)
Personally I can’t help but think of the Bith Band but that I feel would be more of a diorama scene as it’d be great to finally have them all (if they won’t give us them as a mini-bust set)..., stand alone statue wise though I’ve always thought Kardue sai Malloc (the devil according to some) would make a great collectible, he looks the right amount of creepy/freaky in his short appearance in ANH to have left a lasting impression in my mind. :)

Reaction score
Yeah. He is a very creepy looking character, and one that stands out rather well. When you see his face on screen you get the feeling of the kind of evil patrons frequenting Chalmun's Cantina. The mask was indeed inserted into the scene at the last minute, because costume designer Rick Baker happened to have a devil mask on hand that he liked, hence why some see it as "the devil". The funny thing about that particular character is that no one knows exactly who played the part. It is suspected that it could have been Baker himself. I'll add your choice to the list for Kardue'sai'Malloc

What character would you like to see next

-
Kardue'sai'Malloc: kevb0977

Last edited:
Reaction score
My vote goes for Dr Evazan (to go with Ponda)

But Id be happy with any of the following

Wuher
Danick Jerrico
Ithorian
the Sisters
Bo Shek

-Wolf

Reaction score
*The one character you'd like to see next*

-
Hem Dazon: ATATDRIVER

- Kardue'sai'Malloc: kevb0977

- Clone_Wolf: Dr. Evazan

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks! It was a quick and inexpensive fix that didn't require artistic skill (which I don't have) and I was pretty happy with the result. :D

Reaction score
My three favorites are Hammerhead,Dr. Evazan,Wuher ..............................

Think Hammerhead would have the biggest chance, because the character still arouses the most vintage feelings of the collectors (in my case anyway :whistling:).

So Hammerhead first for me :D.

Reaction score
My three favorites are Hammerhead,Dr. Evazan,Wuher ..............................

Think Hammerhead would have the biggest chance, because the character still arouses the most vintage feelings of the collectors (in my case anyway :whistling:).

So Hammerhead first for me :D.
All three great choices, Sven. Indeed, it'd be great to have a Wuher to serve the drinks and reject the droids, and a Dr. Evazan to pair up with the existing Ponda Baba statue. Hammerhead is a pretty cool character as well. So if a miracle happens (don't discard miracles, folks), and he gets made, I would want him without a blaster, unlike the mini bust. Just give him a drink! Years ago it was Ben, that very carefully removed the blaster from the mini bust's hand , and then I followed on his footsteps doing the same, adding a glass of blue drink. So, Hammerhead for you, buddy. I say: MAKE 'EM ALL, GG! :)

- Hammerhead: catch

Last edited:
Reaction score

MOS EISLEY CANTINA: LOOKING FOR MORE 1/6 SCALE STATUES

The jaw dropping Mos Eisley Cantina with its wretched hive of scum and villainy is one of the most recognizable environments from the Original Trilogy, and much a part of our collective cinematic memory; it's a source of mystery that has endured the test of time and still fascinates most viewers today..

A few years ago, and dealing directly with this scene in the film, Gentle Gentle offered three of what a good number of folks collecting their product see as their best 1/6 scale statues. The Cantina Alien Statues, as they are referred to frequently, included Greedo, Ponda Baba and Blue Snaggletooth. Two of these (Greedo and Ponda Boba) were given black rectangular bases with an attached piece of the Cantina bar countertop for each character to lean on. Snaggletooth, on the other hand, was placed in the center of a black round base, sitting on a Cantina bar stool. All three show a high level of detail and their poses are rather appealing. Then everything stopped ...

For years now many collectors have been left with a thirst for more of these Cantina Alien Statues to be produced, as recorded by online discussions in forums and social media. Recently the conversation has surfaced once again, at a time where it seems Gentle Giant Studios are listening to collectors' wishes and producing some obscure characters for its mini bust line that truly did not stand much of a chance in the past. With that in mind, and once again as an effort looking forward to get into our collection more of what's been desirable for a while, this thread intends to discuss all characters we would like to see produced from the infamous Mos Eisley Cantina as 1/6 statues, which would be the perfect size to really bring all their details to life. Furthermore, choosing the one Cantina statue with the most entries, would give us all a specific character to target and one to rally behind as the one for Gentle Giant to produce next. Nothing is for sure in this world of ours. Nothing can assure our effort will produce what we want, BUT rather than to do nothing, we owe it to ourselves as a community to, at least ... try!

- What Cantina character statue would you like to see produced next?

- Would you like GG to use the same rectangular and round plain base surfaces they used for the previous three or would you be rather interested in sandy bases instead?

YOUR CHOICE. YOUR SELECTION. OUR EFFORT!

Flashback: Pictures of the Cantina set

Rick Baker’s Werewolf and Devil Masks

Baker offered these masks from his personal collection to Lucas, telling him they could be “stuck in the background.” To his surprise, close-ups of both creatures made the final

Not only did they get close ups but they had their own action figures cast. Even though it wasn't until the 90's collection they were still worth it.

Reaction score
I have to go with the obvious for this one and request Hammerhead before the others. If only to complete the original creatures that Hasbro made action figures for to round out the Walrus Man and Greedo statues.

Reaction score
Not only did they get close ups but they had their own action figures cast. Even though it wasn't until the 90's collection they were still worth it.
Yup. Before switching to high-end collectibles completely and selling my collection, I collected all Hasbro Star Wars releases and action figures from '95 to 2010 and I had those two figures. Lak Sivrak came out in 1998 with the freeze frames and Labria was part of the cinema Scenes 3- pack from Power of the Force and later on for The Saga Collection as a single action figure.

Reaction score
I have to go with the obvious for this one and request Hammerhead before the others. If only to complete the original creatures that Hasbro made action figures for to round out the Walrus Man and Greedo statues.
Your selection of Hammerhead is being added. Hopefully GG is paying attention to our requests!

- Hammerhead: catch

- Hammerhead: DC1376

Last edited:
Reaction score
Personally I think you guys are backing the wrong horse here, Hammerhead got an original classics mini-bust release & a proper 1:6 scale mini-bust release too..., I like the look of him but for me, I’d want something unique if I were to be thinking about buying a new statue (just my opinion though of course). :)

Reaction score
I understand your point, having had the original arm-less (I did not buy) and the mini bust, it does feel a bit repetitive. That said, I think a full statue of Hammerhead in a complete different pose would be quite nice, and will bring back memories of those toys many of us played with as kids. For that sentimental aspect of it, and the overall design of the character, I've chosen Him. In the end, your choice, mine, his and hers are all great because, Cantina aliens and human-like characters in that scene are fantastic. Personally, I want them all made (which will never happen) whether it being Hammerhead, Labria or any other. The way I see it, "the order of factors does not change the product". The product being getting the Cantina 1/6 statues back on track, if at least just one! .. One can dream; it's free :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think Hammerhead as a statue would look pretty impressive, as I’ve got the mini-busts already though I’d have to pass but more because of a lack of space than anything else. Every time I think about the Cantina scene or even Jabba’s palace I can’t help but think the dioramas they used to make could’ve given us something (or several somethings) so special, looking at my display right now..., on 1 shelf I have Hammerhead in between the Bith Band members & then infront I have some of the bar patrons but as a diorama they could’ve given us the entire Bith Band playing together or the whole of the bar front with everyone stood at it. 1:6 scale is my preferred choice & mini-busts are my preferred collectible but as the dioramas were in a smaller scale & you had so much more going on within them, they would definitely be an easy choice for me when trying to maximise character variety in the space I have..., maybe we should start a new thread Julian? lol ;)

Reaction score
I think Hammerhead as a statue would look pretty impressive, as I’ve got the mini-busts already though I’d have to pass but more because of a lack of space than anything else. Every time I think about the Cantina scene or even Jabba’s palace I can’t help but think the dioramas they used to make could’ve given us something (or several somethings) so special, looking at my display right now..., on 1 shelf I have Hammerhead in between the Bith Band members & then in front I have some of the bar patrons but as a diorama they could’ve given us the entire Bith Band playing together or the whole of the bar front with everyone stood at it. 1:6 scale is my preferred choice & mini-busts are my preferred collectible but as the dioramas were in a smaller scale & you had so much more going on within them, they would definitely be an easy choice for me when trying to maximise character variety in the space I have..., maybe we should start a new thread Julian? lol ;)
Kev, go for it if you like. I'm actually working on some campaign posters for the other thread, and it would be too much to pay attention to right now. I like your idea of the Bith Band,though, and I'm sure Daniel likes it too if we go by his forum name here :)

The closest thing we have now to be in scale with the dioramas are the 1/8 scale statues. With that in mind, and since they are using elaborate bases for them, maybe they could offer each member of the band with some sort of base design that would interlock with one another, and thus recreating the scene as a diorama. I'm not into the 1/8 scale, but if they were to offer a number of statues that when put together would recreate a specific movie scene, I'd buy them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I shall have ago at drumming something up a little later on then..., I’m now thinking about those 0.45 scale helmets too, so much potential wasted, at one time I’d have liked nothing more than an endless lineup of those small scale replica helmets... if they made a commitment to them I’d be right behind them & getting the lot still though, Master Replicas were great but Riddell’s were my favourite, GG just need to do something with the license or allow someone else to. Ok, if the mini helmet question isn’t on the Q&A thread can you add it please (thanks)? I’ll double check later as I feel it probably is but off out so have to look later. Look forward to seeing what you’ve come up with for the Tessek/unique OT character campaign soon. ;)

Reaction score
Yes! I've always wanted those helmets back having bought all the ones made so far except for the pink Vader one. They hold the license, so why not put it to good use? Going by the poll we had here like 150 years ago, and having had Greg at the time said at least he would push for the one helmet with the most votes but then nothing happened, I'm wondering what's become of all that. The helmets, if ever made, I'd collect them from all movies as I did in the past.

Kev, I did add the question on that list about the mini helmets. Check out question #2 there. It was one of the first things that popped to my head when I started to put the list together :). But as you can see nothing has been said about it. :(

Last edited: