Moroff & Scarif Stormtrooper Squad Leader

GNT

Reaction score
Please use this thread to discuss the new Moroff & Scarif Stormtrooper Squad Leader figures:

Thoughts on these figures?

Reaction score
Moroff is awesome and the trooper is crap. I refer to both the designs and the toys.

Well, you asked.

Reaction score
I like Moroff a lot.

I don't really care for the trooper much.

Reaction score
I see Hasbro still hasn't figured out how to include a blaster and not have it bent all to crap. Nice job Hasbro.

Reaction score
This is a definite buy set for me. I love both designs and the figures look great.

Since this is the Scarif Stormtrooper Squad Leader, I'm assuming that this means we will be seeing a standard Scariff Trooper in the regular line.

Reaction score
I really dig both of these figures. Such odd designs for these characters, but I like em both. Once both of these are seen on screen more and more peeps are gonna be after BOTH of these. Especially if they are done in a 6" scale.

Reaction score
This set is tempting, but I prefer more pose-able limbs. The trooper is nice as well, as a parts donor. I like the helmet design.

Reaction score

I thought the Scarif Troopers looked great, don't know if it translated that well into figure form, but I do hope we get some single carded army builders.

Reaction score
This is definitely my favorite of the new two packs shown today...

Reaction score
I actually am really looking forward to these. So far, I'm not all in for Rogue One, but I am planning on buying a handful of the cooler designs, and these 2 fit the bill.

Reaction score
It is so dissheartening for me to see these new packs coming out with such limited articulation. and goofy red missiles or nerf missiles. it is like they are intentionally making the 4 inch scale figures to turn collectors off. I wouldn't mind if they limited the articulation a little bit but can't they at least give us swivel elbows here and there or something? the characters look great but i just can't find myself buying them unless we get more articulation than this. hasbro needs to compromise. how about making this moroff character with ball jointed shoulder, swivel elbow, ball jointed knee, no ankle or wrist articulation and ball jointed head. right there is saving costs by limiting articulation but at least giving us a figure that can do something besides looking like a hunk of plastic. key characters like luke, han, vader and troopers could have the 14 points of articulation and background characters could have enough articulation to pose and have some fun with at least. this is what hasbro needs to do.

Reaction score
It is so dissheartening for me to see these new packs coming out with such limited articulation. and goofy red missiles or nerf missiles. it is like they are intentionally making the 4 inch scale figures to turn collectors off. I wouldn't mind if they limited the articulation a little bit but can't they at least give us swivel elbows here and there or something? the characters look great but i just can't find myself buying them unless we get more articulation than this. hasbro needs to compromise. how about making this moroff character with ball jointed shoulder, swivel elbow, ball jointed knee, no ankle or wrist articulation and ball jointed head. right there is saving costs by limiting articulation but at least giving us a figure that can do something besides looking like a hunk of plastic. key characters like luke, han, vader and troopers could have the 14 points of articulation and background characters could have enough articulation to pose and have some fun with at least. this is what hasbro needs to do.
I was never a fan of those old diagonal cut swivel elbows since they always made the arm look partially crushed when you tried to straighten it out into a neutral pose. The only other way to incorporate swivel elbows would be to position the arms bent at nearly a 90-degree angle and I wouldn't want to see that either. If they just have to add elbow articulation, the I would prefer it to be a ball-joint. However, I'm perfectly fine with no elbow articulation at all, as long as the arm is sculpted in a neutral pose.

Reaction score
i was ok with the swivel elbows as long as the forarms didn't constantly try to fall off. i would rather have swivel elbows than simply not have articulated elbows. the elbow articulation is one of the more important features of a super articulated figure in my opinion.

GNT

Reaction score
Moroff looks pretty sweet IMO. He'll probably be never seen or easily killed on screen. Either way a neat design and I'm glad his getting a figure.

Reaction score
Hanging out in a room with shelves full of stuff I
I was never a fan of those old diagonal cut swivel elbows since they always made the arm look partially crushed when you tried to straighten it out into a neutral pose. The only other way to incorporate swivel elbows would be to position the arms bent at nearly a 90-degree angle and I wouldn't want to see that either. If they just have to add elbow articulation, the I would prefer it to be a ball-joint. However, I'm perfectly fine with no elbow articulation at all, as long as the arm is sculpted in a neutral pose.
I agree as well to a point. I will say while I'm not really a fan of 70's styled action figures as 5POA, the swivel elbows if not cut in a straight out position before the bend is implemented can look atrocious for a straight out arm pose (see the Saga imp gunner/officers... etc) However sometimes it can work like w/Saga2 Jerrijod where the cut was made when the arm was stretched out so the swivel while there could be put back into a mostly straight arm pose. Either way i'd find it just easier to go with a small ball joint and not worry about the if's and but's of it IMO.

As for the 2 figures the big guy Moroff doesnt seem to really need a lot of articulation, I mean he's a alien troop-ish guy but seeing a strooper w/out SA still stings.

Reaction score
Noticed one thing, it's that on all these new 2-packs pictures, all of the troopers blasters are bent quite a lot...

Reaction score
definitely want a bunch of these for the trooper but that Moroff figure looks awesome as well. almost like a distant cousin to the Wampa

Reaction score
a Wampa is still dangerous even if you put a muzzle on its mouth/chin area. It can still rip your arms off or break your back

Reaction score
so shoretrooper was just a proxy name for scarif stormtrooper?
okay, never mind (as if people were rushing to answer) apparently it is.

i still think it's a cool design but it seems as if the scarif trooper figure is incredibly stiff and lifeless...the head maybe looks a little oversized as well. same thing plaguing the death trooper figure but, i don't care in that instance since its a lousy design and lazy concept to begin with.
but, anyway, hope springs eternal and maybe the trooper formerly known as shore will be done right in a different scale and/or by a different company.

Reaction score
but, anyway, hope springs eternal and maybe the trooper formerly known as shore will be done right in a different scale and/or by a different company.
I'm sure Hot Toys will be making some 1/6 scale Rogue One figures. I would be very surprised if they don't announce a Deathtrooper and Scarif Trooper before the year is out.

Reaction score
Noticed one thing, it's that on all these new 2-packs pictures, all of the troopers blasters are bent quite a lot...
That's been going on for years. It was especially bad back when Hasbro used to use clear rubber bands to tie the weapons into the figures' hands. The bands would not only warp the weapon, but the hands that were holding them as well.

Either way it's an easy fix, just soak them in hot water for a few seconds and they should return to their original shape.

Utinniii

Reaction score
I just realized what was bugging me about the Scarif figure. It is to colorful and distinctive. The thing about (OT) troops that I enjoyed is that they were anonymous and black&white. The rainbow Clonetroopers bugged me as well (even if color coding the soldiers makes sense).

Reaction score
While i think the rainbow colors were a bit extreme, which could have been done differently. I do feel that varied colors work within the environment they operate in. You wouldn't typically find people serving in the jungle wearing all white uniforms etc. So I can see the necessity of it. It's called camouflage. I can see white armored troops working on ships or inside structures, but outside it doesn't seem feasible. Look at how they stuck out on Tatooine.

I realize the Empire was displaying this powerful no weaknesses stance to the Galaxy, and probably felt it's of no consequence. And with them serving in the tens of thousands at any given mission, they wouldn't seem vulnerable.

Reaction score
I have only just realised, Hasbro is calling this a Scarif Stormtrooper. We have also seen them called ShoreTrooper too. I wonder which name will be more widely used. I dont like Shoretrooper one bit.

Utinniii

Reaction score
I have only just realised, Hasbro is calling this a Scarif Stormtrooper. We have also seen them called ShoreTrooper too. I wonder which name will be more widely used. I dont like Shoretrooper one bit.

Probably Scarif, since they are all shore losers!

I understand the need for camouflage/Rank designation (and making officers easier to shoot at), and it makes logical sense (even as a kid, I colored camofuflage on AT-ATs). However, the Empire IMO had a "we don't need no steenk'n camouflage" attitude and cultivated a faceless uniformed mob look. Tatooine (and Endor) show that the Empire didn't care if they stuck out like sore thumbs. That was the point.

Someone mentioned/joked that Lucas would repaint OT Stormtroopers in Clone colors if he ever made a super-special edition. It makes logical sense, but it would still bug me.

I just personally find it hard to change a lifetime mindset. It's like people who lived their lives thinking ancient Greece was all white marble and then discovering that everything was painted in bright colors.

Reaction score
Probably Scarif, since they are all shore losers!

I understand the need for camouflage/Rank designation (and making officers easier to shoot at), and it makes logical sense (even as a kid, I colored camofuflage on AT-ATs). However, the Empire IMO had a "we don't need no steenk'n camouflage" attitude and cultivated a faceless uniformed mob look. Tatooine (and Endor) show that the Empire didn't care if they stuck out like sore thumbs. That was the point.

Someone mentioned/joked that Lucas would repaint OT Stormtroopers in Clone colors if he ever made a super-special edition. It makes logical sense, but it would still bug me.

I just personally find it hard to change a lifetime mindset. It's like people who lived their lives thinking ancient Greece was all white marble and then discovering that everything was painted in bright colors.
Unfortunately, Lucas started this whole color-coded troopers thing in AOTC and there is no putting the genie back in the bottle now.

Since Rogue One takes place before ANH, maybe it's something that the Empire was phasing out and the troopers on the Death Star (being the most high profile units on the Empire's most powerful, brand-new battle station) would have been the first to implement the new "no color coded rank" policy. Tatooine, being a backwater world would still have color-coded ranks in use with the Sandtrooper's shoulder pauldrons. For a military force the size of the Empire, you wouldn't really expect these kinds of changes to happen overnight.

Reaction score
That's been going on for years. It was especially bad back when Hasbro used to use clear rubber bands to tie the weapons into the figures' hands. The bands would not only warp the weapon, but the hands that were holding them as well.

Either way it's an easy fix, just soak them in hot water for a few seconds and they should return to their original shape.
Or they could just go back to using harder plastic again.

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the design either, I know they're trying to converge the designs of the FO forces to that of the earlier Galactic Empire, Death Troopers especially seem intermediate between the Imp Stormtroopers and the FO Stormtroopers. I prefer the designs found in TFU, for example the Navy Commandos.