Model Kits- Bandai, Fine Molds, Revell, etc

Reaction score
Add the U-wing and AT-ACT to the list that I forgot. That's what happens when you're in between calls at work lol.

So basically, the Revell kits with lights and sounds started with TFA Falcon if I'm not mistaken?

Reaction score
How do the Revell kits compare to the Bandai ones? Are they good quality?
While i don't have any myself, from what i have seen the Bandai kits are vastly superiour in quality. The Revell stuff are pretty much toys disguised as model kits.

Reaction score
How do the Revell kits compare to the Bandai ones? Are they good quality?
The Revell kits are good, but not great. They tend to be bigger (larger scale) than the Bandai stuff, but the detail isn't nearly as good. They're usually under 20 parts with lots of stuff molded onto the surface. Molding however is crisp on some of their stuff, without any cleanup required. And most come with a light/sound pack. However, because Revell gets schematics before the final version, some models may differ from the ones you see in the film.

Still, with a little work, you can make them look great. Or you can thrown one together and enjoy weathering it over a weekend. All depends on what you want to do.

Reaction score
Tucson, wretched hive of scum and villany
Just a heads up for you Revell fans- Revell-Monogram USA no longer exists as of about 10 days ago. The parent company Hobbico went under, Revell Germany was bought up and saved by a German investor but Revell USA is being dissolved. It looks like most of their tooling will go to Revell Germany or be auctioned off to other companies. Revell Germany stuff shows up at specialty hobby shops but I wouldn't expect to see any more kits at the big brick and mortar stores after the current Solo stuff inventory is gone.

Reaction score
Bandai 1/72 B-wing official photos: link. Also looks like it comes with a LED kit for the engines. There's links on the page for new Falcon and Death Star tile set as well.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Are these Bandai models simple to assemble and pre-painted?[/QUOTE

They are very simple to build. Cut the pieces off the sprues, sand/smooth the connection points, and the parts snap together with ease.

They are NOT pre-painted, but most are molded in the correct colors. TIE's and Walkers can be built without painting and still look pretty good.

Reaction score
recently added some detail to the Revell Model kits of the U-Wing (basically a nice black wash paint and some sanding to remove some of the clean markings on the ship) and then used classic Galoob Micro Machines to show scale. also added some details to the Revell Resistance A-Wing as well

Reaction score
What happened to Dragon models?

I remember that they had a line up of several planned Star Wars kits, but nothing happened. Surely Lucasfilm wouldn't issue a licence and then pull it, would they?

Reaction score
Just a heads up for you Revell fans- Revell-Monogram USA no longer exists as of about 10 days ago. The parent company Hobbico went under, Revell Germany was bought up and saved by a German investor but Revell USA is being dissolved. It looks like most of their tooling will go to Revell Germany or be auctioned off to other companies. Revell Germany stuff shows up at specialty hobby shops but I wouldn't expect to see any more kits at the big brick and mortar stores after the current Solo stuff inventory is gone.
that's sad news indeed.. I've been a fan of the Revell SW models from the very beginning. they have great detail, are easy to build and make for great ships in the Micro Machines world. hopefully this is not the end of SW models in general.

I have noticed that some of the older Revell models have nearly tripled in value since the news broke of Revell going under. I think the snaptite Republic Gunship goes for big $$$ on eBay

Reaction score
went to my local Hobby Shop last night and scored 2 of the Revell Republic Attack Shuttles, Republic Star Destroyer, Rogue One Star Destroyer, Y-Wing and 1 of the Imperial Shuttle Tyderium also picked up a few of the Bandai model kits (Y-Wing, 2 A-Wings)

Reaction score
What happened to Dragon models?

I remember that they had a line up of several planned Star Wars kits, but nothing happened. Surely Lucasfilm wouldn't issue a licence and then pull it, would they?
I was told they decided NOT to move forward with their Star Wars kits. My guess would be sheer cost of doing a 1/35 AT-AT. They've already been losing a lot in their military lineup, and I just don't think they were confident on getting a return for the SW stuff.

Reaction score

Here's the Revell Solo Falcon, with my attempt at weathering. (Click for larger image)

Reaction score
Such a shame. :( I haven't bought any for a while, but have always been a big fan of their work - really want a Venator but just don't have the space. Also kept trying for a snaptight ARC-170 but it never seemed to be in stock.

Reaction score
put together the Revell Snap Tite Imperial Shuttle last night. always love the look of the look. I'm going to weather the shuttle so that it looks closer to the Shuttle Tyderium for an Endor Micro Machines diorama.

Reaction score
Finished a diorama I'm calling Jedha Statue - Imperial Escalation. It's a diorama of the fallen Jedi Statue hand with a few Combat Assault Tanks rolling by, one carrying an AT-ST head. The tanks are 1/144 from Bandai. The hand is actually my own, which I molded in Play-doh and cast in a plaster. Anyway, I have more pics/info at Rebel Scale. Thanks for viewing and enjoy.

Reaction score
Finished a diorama I'm calling Jedha Statue - Imperial Escalation. It's a diorama of the fallen Jedi Statue hand with a few Combat Assault Tanks rolling by, one carrying an AT-ST head. The tanks are 1/144 from Bandai. The hand is actually my own, which I molded in Play-doh and cast in a plaster. Anyway, I have more pics/info at Rebel Scale. Thanks for viewing and enjoy.

It's beautiful! I always love your masterpiece. Thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
My local Soopa Target had the Revell Snap Tite models on Clearance for $10 last night. If you have been holding off, it might be worth checking your local stores.

Reaction score
Picked up the Bandai Death Star II model, added a gray ink wash to the under-construction bits while they were on the sprues, and then bunged it together. Haven't paint-washed the main hull yet or used glue at all but I'm finished for now.
But don't ask how long it took to suss out the bleedin' assembly instructions that are printed (microscopically) inside the box. Not easy-peasey. :wtf:

Anyhoo, as you'd expect from Bandai, the details are uber-sharp and it's perfect for Titanium/DeAgostini/Hot Wheels scale collectors (it's next to the last Titanium DS here). Probably too fragile to use as a gaming miniature but it makes a snazzy display piece for under ten bucks, IMHO.

Death to Ewoks.

Reaction score
Nice one dude. The dark color makes a nice contrast. I'm glad it's bigger than the Titanium. Now I just have to get one.

You know, I've seen a Japanese modeler that actually lit the thing using about 50 or fiber optic strands and small battery. Insane

Reaction score
Welp,

after months of nothing except Lego, the first real toys from Solo hit retail in my country... the Revell kits that is. For a remarkable €5,- ($5,77) per set at a local discounter. Well better than nothing, I suppose.

Picked up the Falcon and Patrol Speeder two-pack. The Falcon surprised me with its many moving parts. Landing gear, boarding ramp, top and bottom turrets, rotating dish and removable forward section. Paint and detailing is top-notch too. This scratches the itch for a Solo Falcon without wasting space and money on the Hasbro "big" release which is underscaled anyway.

The Patrol Speeders are less impressive, but you get two in a set. The landing gear is very welcome. Sadly, they're underscaled compared to Hasbro figures, but will do fine until we finally get proper 3 3/4th scale mainline speeders.

Reaction score
To glue, or not to glue, that is the question.

I'm finally diving into the Bandai models, starting with the 1/48 Snowspeeder. I'm debating on whether to use glue on it or not (Weld-on 3 to be exact). What are your thoughts on this?

Reaction score
I would go on a case by case basis. The only Bandai kit I’ve built is the 1/12 Stormtrooper. It was a bit unique in that it’s articulated and goes with my action figures. So I erred on the side of caution and didn’t glue much of it b/c I didn’t want to risk messing up the articulation. But that said, I still glued some parts (especially parts where I used putty to fill seams) despite the fact that the kit is designed to be built without any glue.

but for the ships, I’d probably glue most or all of them. They’re just more sturdy when glued/cemented.

Reaction score
Anyone follow JPG Productions on Facebook? He is reissuing the Outrider resin model kit. I remember seeing this kit a while back just doing a random google search. I'm really excited I get another shot at this. It looks like it will be the same price as before, $75 with $9.85 Priority USA shipping.

Reaction score
Yeah, we finally talked Jimi into reissuing it. He does great resin kits. I have several from him.

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to it. It looks like preorders go up Friday July 26th, and they should ship by early September.

Reaction score
I got a display stand for the Revell Star Destroyer off ebay. It definitely beats the PVC plumbing pipe I was using haha.