Model Kits- Bandai, Fine Molds, Revell, etc

Reaction score
I bought the Revell Rogue One Star Destroyer kit and applied a wash to it last night. This was another kit that was almost white. I did run out of black paint so I'm debating of giving this another wash or not when I get more. I do like how it came out but don't want it too dark. I'm really liking this wash technique.

Reaction score
I bought the Revell Rogue One Star Destroyer kit and applied a wash to it last night. This was another kit that was almost white. I did run out of black paint so I'm debating of giving this another wash or not when I get more. I do like how it came out but don't want it too dark. I'm really liking this wash technique.

Hello! Is there an online resource where I can find out how do make these washes? I have several of these Revell models and other toys that I want to make a little dirty. Thanks!

Reaction score
I'll second that request. Everything I can find assumes you know the basics behind it, and uses terminology thusly. I really don't know anything about painting toys, and I don't want to ruin anything,

Reaction score
Hello! Is there an online resource where I can find out how do make these washes? I have several of these Revell models and other toys that I want to make a little dirty. Thanks!
I'll second that request. Everything I can find assumes you know the basics behind it, and uses terminology thusly. I really don't know anything about painting toys, and I don't want to ruin anything,
I hear you guys. I was in a similar situation until I asked a buddy of mine.

I use Games Workshop Paints. I use Abaddon Black, and just take some of the paint with a brush and dip it into a small cup of warm water until I have the right amount. Just make sure its about an even amount - don't use a lot of paint, but don't have too much water where its watery. I brush it on, and the brush I use has the bristles spread out. It works better then a normal brush. I let it sit for about 30 seconds, then wipe it off. Repeat as necessary.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Sounds simple enough. Thanks! I found a similar method works in weathering props, using rust colored paints, or black paints. Just paint, wipe off, repeat until satisfied.

Reaction score
I hear you guys. I was in a similar situation until I asked a buddy of mine.

I use Games Workshop Paints. I use Abaddon Black, and just take some of the paint with a brush and dip it into a small cup of warm water until I have the right amount. Just make sure its about an even amount - don't use a lot of paint, but don't have too much water where its watery. I brush it on, and the brush I use has the bristles spread out. It works better then a normal brush. I let it sit for about 30 seconds, then wipe it off. Repeat as necessary.

Hope this helps!
Thanks! I will also find a toy to test it on until I get the technique mastered.

Reaction score
Some pictures and info from the Revell booth at the UK Toy Fair here : http://www.jedinews.co.uk/collecting/articles/uk-toy-fair-2017-revell/

It seems they are the retailer of that huge Star Destroyer from that russian model company (I don't remember the name of it, but I've read somewhere else that in the past Revell was selling some their kit outside of Russia and this Destroyer is 1:2700 scale too).

Also they say this is a new Tie Fighter? But this 1:65 scale one looks just like the 1:65 scale Tie Fighter that was released before (one with the Clone Trooper packaging and once again with the Yoda packaging).

The Imperial Shuttle looks nice though.

Reaction score
I'm also surprised they don't have the X-Wing with 40th Anniversary packaging.

Reaction score
I don't get why Revell is so lazy with their offerings...
It's been the same few ships over and over again for nearly ten years.

Why haven't they made The Ghost? Why is there never been an official Executor SSD? A Death Star II model kit? Coruscant Speeders? Republic Military and Separatist Forces? A TIE Bomber?

Every company always starts off doing the same old X-Wing, Millennium Falcon, Vader's TIE Advanced (which ALWAYS comes before a regular Tie for some odd reason).

Reaction score
EDIT: *has* - stupid no edit function

The release of the larger Imperial Star Destroyer is nice, although it has to just be a stand-in at that booth, right? Looks to be the same size as the Rogue One release from late last year. How much bigger will the Russian release be compared to the 2016 model?

Reaction score
It looks smaller on the pictures of the booth yes. But that big size Revell ISD is supposed to be the very same kit that this Russian company is making. Revell is just putting their name on the box to sell it outside of Russia so the final product will be scale 1:2700 and it's about 60cm long.

Revell is more and more being dissapointing. Which is a shame because the sculpt of their kits is great and you can build nice looking ships after a bit of weathering and mods. Last year was "okayish" I guess, with The Force Awakens ships, but 2016 was lame. I only got the U-Wing, everything else new was too cheap (small ISD, small AT-ACT) or I already have (Y-Wing is always the same kit repacked over and over again, all these small kits repacks in the Rogue One packaging...).

And no Tie Striker from Revell!

I wanted to get that new Imperial Shuttle but it costs 40 euros + shipping here, and I've found on Ebay the 2006 version of it (that's only a little smaller and doesn't have the opening cockpit) for 8 euros.

Reaction score
Some pictures and info from the Revell booth at the UK Toy Fair here : http://www.jedinews.co.uk/collecting/articles/uk-toy-fair-2017-revell/

It seems they are the retailer of that huge Star Destroyer from that russian model company (I don't remember the name of it, but I've read somewhere else that in the past Revell was selling some their kit outside of Russia and this Destroyer is 1:2700 scale too).

Also they say this is a new Tie Fighter? But this 1:65 scale one looks just like the 1:65 scale Tie Fighter that was released before (one with the Clone Trooper packaging and once again with the Yoda packaging).

The Imperial Shuttle looks nice though.
I'm really looking forward to the Revell-Zvezda 1:2700 Star Destroyer... a good intimidating size in my opinion.

Reaction score
It looks smaller on the pictures of the booth yes. But that big size Revell ISD is supposed to be the very same kit that this Russian company is making. Revell is just putting their name on the box to sell it outside of Russia so the final product will be scale 1:2700 and it's about 60cm long.

60 cm ...??! @@" Wow....that's perfect.

Reaction score
I was rather pleased to have bought one of the AMT cutaway model kits on ebay recently as i've found it hard to pick one up at a decent price.

Its used, but the parts are still in their bags and the box was in pretty good condition.

Reaction score

Revell AT-AT 1:53 in Rogue One packaging is available in stores here as well as the new Imperial Shuttle 1:106 Easy-kit.

Reaction score
I was rather pleased to have bought one of the AMT cutaway model kits on ebay recently as i've found it hard to pick one up at a decent price.

Its used, but the parts are still in their bags and the box was in pretty good condition.
I read this is 1/58 scale! Awesome size! I love 'cut-away' vehicles... Congrats on the delivery!

Reaction score
I do apologize, but I've always thought Bandai kits have been easily attainable in the States or Europe...
Well... its complicated. They were never officially available over here. We could buy them through Amazon at reasonable import prices from Japan, but even that was not really possible since 2015.

http://thefwoosh.com/2015/09/banned-ai-in-the-usa-star-wars-model-kits
That and other licence-issues are the reason.

Right now, they are back on Amazon as a Direct import from Japanese marketplace sellers (after they were wiped out there a year ago), but of course, not cheap, and with long delivery times.

Reaction score
Well... its complicated. They were never officially available over here. We could buy them through Amazon at reasonable import prices from Japan, but even that was not really possible since 2015.

http://thefwoosh.com/2015/09/banned-ai-in-the-usa-star-wars-model-kits
That and other licence-issues are the reason.

Right now, they are back on Amazon as a Direct import from Japanese marketplace sellers (after they were wiped out there a year ago), but of course, not cheap, and with long delivery times.

Ahh... ok. Now I understand. Thanks for explaining, StraightEdceLuke.

Reaction score
Saw these new ones at barnes and noble today for $29.

Curious fir size reference what would be the equivalent to 172 scale? Hot wheels, titaniums?

Reaction score
A 1/72 scale x-wing is about twice the size of a hotwheels or titanium x-wing. As a reference, a titanium series x-wing is pretty close to 1/144 scale (half the size of 1/72) though I'm sure it's not EXACTLY to scale.

But hotwheels and titaniums are not to scale within the lines themselves. A titanium x-wing may be close to 1/144, but a true 1/144 scale millennium falcon is a good 6 or 7 inches long at least. A 1/144 scale star destroyer would be as big as a kitchen table if not more...

but back to to your original question, 1/72 scale single seat fighters are bigger than the die cast toys. An x wing is probably about 5 inches long.

Reaction score
Darn no edit...

i underestimated. A 1/72 x wing looks slightly bigger than I originally said maybe 6 or 7 inches?

Reaction score

Is this roughly in Action Fleet scale?

Reaction score
About twice the size of an Action Fleet Falcon.

Does anyone have any interest in Garage kits. I have an Argonauts 1:144 Millennium Falcon and I'm looking for the Anigrand version. Are there any more kits that I need to look for?

Reaction score
I've asked a local distributor about the 40th Anniversary Revell kit, seems they are planned to be released in May in Europe.

The huge Star Destroyer kit still has release date saying April, but they said it's most likely to be in stores sometimes during May with all the other kits.

Reaction score
I bought the Zvezda Star Destroyer awhile back (Yes, Revell bought this and just put their name on it) and have just about got it finished. Am putting fiber optics and everything into it... it really looks good! Here's a couple of pics... lemme know what you think.

Reaction score

What, who, why, eh ?.

This popped up on a facebook group I'm in (Toy Run). Anyone know anymore about it ? I've put it in model kits but it could well be diecast. Hopefully it's the vanguard in a reasonably priced 50 ship series set to hit Europe and North America in days. Call me an optimist :D

Reaction score
Sincerely sorry to burst your 50 diecast-ship bubble, Boris. It's a "Star Wars Sound Vehicle Poe Dameron`s X-wing Fighter", runs off 2 button batteries, PVC:

● Vehicle toys sounded the same flight sound as in the play, sound vehicles appeared.
● Poe Dameron 's bulls**t is built in as a special sound. (Hehe, that's what Google Translate says, with the missing asterisked letters included :))
● By tilting the body up and down, two kinds of flight sounds.
● BB - 8 button behind the main body cockpit When you press the machine gun sounds.
● To sound a special sound, move the main unit back and forth while pressing the BB - 8 button.

24.1 x 16.1 x 6 cm / 134 g

They also did the TFA Falcon, who knew?

● Vehicle toys that same flight sound and in the play sounds, the sound vehicle appeared.
● Rush sound to hyperspace as a special sound is built.
● You will hear two types of flight sound by tilting the body up and down.
● You will hear a machine gun sound Press exhaust port button on the rear body.
● To play a special sound, while holding down the exhaust port button, and move the body back and forth.

24 x 16.1 x 6 cm / 173 g

Both came out in JP in November 2016, apparently. We've seen the X-Wing earlier in con pics but I don't think we ever knew wot it was. Can't remember seeing the MF before and it looks like they've only done the two so far.

If anyone buys and opens either or both, I'd love to see pics.

Reaction score
Thank you DD. When the poster said they were 5 inches I got all excitied and dreamed of EM Star Wars diecast. Sigh

Reaction score
Sincerely sorry to burst your 50 diecast-ship bubble, Boris. It's a "Star Wars Sound Vehicle Poe Dameron`s X-wing Fighter", runs off 2 button batteries, PVC:

● Vehicle toys sounded the same flight sound as in the play, sound vehicles appeared.
● Poe Dameron 's bulls**t is built in as a special sound. (Hehe, that's what Google Translate says, with the missing asterisked letters included :))
● By tilting the body up and down, two kinds of flight sounds.
● BB - 8 button behind the main body cockpit When you press the machine gun sounds.
● To sound a special sound, move the main unit back and forth while pressing the BB - 8 button.

24.1 x 16.1 x 6 cm / 134 g

They also did the TFA Falcon, who knew?

● Vehicle toys that same flight sound and in the play sounds, the sound vehicle appeared.
● Rush sound to hyperspace as a special sound is built.
● You will hear two types of flight sound by tilting the body up and down.
● You will hear a machine gun sound Press exhaust port button on the rear body.
● To play a special sound, while holding down the exhaust port button, and move the body back and forth.

24 x 16.1 x 6 cm / 173 g

Both came out in JP in November 2016, apparently. We've seen the X-Wing earlier in con pics but I don't think we ever knew wot it was. Can't remember seeing the MF before and it looks like they've only done the two so far.

If anyone buys and opens either or both, I'd love to see pics.
Thanks for the heads up, Darth_Duranium. I'll have to see if i can find that Falcon.

Reaction score
I hope Revell makes those snap together model kits for The Last Jedi. Finally seeing a few TFA and Rogue One models at 75% off clearance prices. That AT-ACT Walker from Rogue One is probably the best representation of that vehicle out there. Thinking maybe we will see the Heavy Assault Walker and the Resistance Ski Speeder?

Reaction score
Hopefully Revell will also make that new Tie Silencer and don't skip it like they did with the Tie Striker (still don't understand how they didn't make that one in their Rogue One line).

Reaction score
I hope Revell makes those snap together model kits for The Last Jedi. Finally seeing a few TFA and Rogue One models at 75% off clearance prices. That AT-ACT Walker from Rogue One is probably the best representation of that vehicle out there. Thinking maybe we will see the Heavy Assault Walker and the Resistance Ski Speeder?
I second this. As a huge fan of Action Fleets these were fun to put together, and the lights/sounds are fantastic. My favorites are the TFA Falcon and the AT-ACT.

I'd like to see Revell make the A-wing from The Last Jedi.

Reaction score
Not a bandai kit but wasn't sure if there were other model kit threads. I started this kit this weekend. Anakins Jedi Star Fighter.