Model Kits- Bandai, Fine Molds, Revell, etc

Reaction score
I've been searching for a thread on SW Model kits but there doesn't seem to be any on the forum. Not sure where else to get it started but since this is the closest thing to Action Fleet these days I figure this is the best place for now. Any other kit builders on the forums?

I'm just starting to pick up all the Bandai kits. I thought Fine Molds did an exceptional job but the Bandai kits might be even better. The engineering to make them as detailed as possible while still easy to build is amazing.

Reaction score
I've been searching for a thread on SW Model kits but there doesn't seem to be any on the forum. Not sure where else to get it started but since this is the closest thing to Action Fleet these days I figure this is the best place for now. Any other kit builders on the forums?

I'm just starting to pick up all the Bandai kits. I thought Fine Molds did an exceptional job but the Bandai kits might be even better. The engineering to make them as detailed as possible while still easy to build is amazing.
You might like to try this - it covers all franchises but Star Wars is in there

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/

Reaction score
I built a few SW kits in the past - Airfix, MPC, Revell, etc. Finemold and Bandai kits are one of the best to me. At least they come in scale rather than random sizes. The fit/joints are good, don't need to use much putty or sandings to fill the gaps.

Reaction score
I am tempted by the Bandai mini Star Destroyer. For a roughly 10cm/4" model it looks exquisitely detailed. Anyone have that in hand and able to offer an opinion?

Reaction score
I have the ISD as well as several others. They are fantastic and beautiful kits....certainly worth the money. The AT-ST I did was from the Bandai kit, though I added extra detail.

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Bandai will release an OT Millennium Falcon model?

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Bandai will release an OT Millennium Falcon model?
Nothing's been announced or hinted at but I'm sure its just a matter of time with Bandai. If you can't wait, both Fine Molds Falcon kits are amazing. They're pricey but Revell has reissued the bigger one (900+ parts) at a decent price.

Reaction score
That AT-ST is superb, Unreality. Nice work! I have done a few Revell kits as well as the 6" Bandai character kits (which are awesome). The new Revell TFA Falcon is more or less in scale with the old Action Fleets, but was way too simple, I didn't really enjoy the build.

Reaction score
Thanks Teedo.

If you want to do the OT Falcon with the Bandai kit, there are several offerings on Shapeways 3D printed parts that cover the dish, as well as new cockpit, gear, etc.

Reaction score
Ahhh finally! A model thread! I build models. My sweet models are all put away till I finish the basement. I have all including resin. The big revell falcon is acreage fine molds one repackaged. I don't l k me revell. No detail. I'll post pics when I can. Bandai coming out with clone trooper and 1/144 Poe x wing and ties.

Reaction score
Finally found a miniature Bandai Star Destroyer for a good price and free international shipping. She arrived yesterday. What a neat little model. The detail is stunning for such a tiny model (around 11cm long). I can't wait to put it together, though I am nervous about how I will paint this one!

I really hope Bandai do more capital ships in this size range. I'm on the hunt for a good First Order Star Destroyer at around the same size.

Reaction score
I was quite fortunate to pick up an Argonauts 1:144 Millennium Falcon model, unmade and in the box for a decent price last week. I still need to find an Anigrand version.

Reaction score
I was wondering what happened to this thread.

A good model kit is the TIE Droid resin kit from Scale Solutions. If you go to this link, go to the shop page, then go to their ebay store. I found it through Unreality, and he helped me with prepping it.
http://scalesolutionsshop.appspot.com/

I'm really quite pleased with how it turned out, especially the color for the TIE I used. It's Fenrisian Gray from Games Workshop Paints for anyone curious.

A definite pickup, especially if you played the original Rogue Squadron.

Reaction score
If anyone is wondering, the new Revell kits are fairly nice for a 20 dollar price tag. I haven't bought the AT-ACT yet, but the U-wing is quite detailed. I have a build log on my website, but here's a pic of it next to some similarly scaled Titaniums:

Reaction score
I'm really disapointed Revell didn't make the Tie Striker.

Reaction score
Only a matter of time, surely.

Its nice to see the U Wing next to other models. I keep forgetting that it's not a fighter. Anyone got any news on the new, smaller Bandai models?

Reaction score
Not sure about how valid this informations is, but this is in the comment of that video : https://youtu.be/vJOfvAjmA_Q

Since we're getting a Bandai Tie Striker it's not that bad. And I think I might give the Revell U-Wing a try.

Reaction score
I was actually just popping in to this thread to see if anyone had seen or knew when the big Star Destroyer set from revell was coming out. :D

Reaction score
I've been watching this video again and i've decided to get the Revell U-Wing. I'm not a huge fan of the design of the ship and before even seeing Hasbro's or Revell's versions I already had decided I'll pass, but for $20 it's a nice model and it will look great after a bit of weathering. I came to really enjoy the look of the ship with the wings opened, it fits totally into the ANH feeling that way (much more than when it's displayed with wings closed).

Reaction score
So not having seen itsme's tip (thanks btw), I had signed up on tru.com to be notified when the Star Destroyer model was in stock. I got the notification, and ordered it. Then... nothing happened. So a week goes by and I e-mail and call and get a back and forth about there being a shipping issue or something. So I ask to cancel the order because I can get it elsewhere right away (by that point) and they told me they couldn't cancel the order because it had processed "too far" mind you they hadn't even charged me for it yet. They said the only way to cancel the order is to wait for it to ship, then refuse delivery and after it goes back they would issue a refund. Long story short after explaining to several people why that was stupid, they canceled the order for me. So, little cautionary tale there. I guess.

Anyway, I ordered the model from Amazon, it came at the end of last week. It's worth every penny (IMO), it's a fantastic largish Star Destroyer. Assembly takes only a couple of minutes. I wasn't really happy with the plastic grey color. So I gave it a spray coat of white. I'd have preferred a more ivory white, but flat white is what I had on hand. Decided to give it a wash too. This is only the second time I've black-washed something and the previous was a dark green castle greyskull. Quite a difference in the two working surfaces.

I'm tepidly pleased with the wash. I don't think it shows too well in the pics but it's a little uneven in the broad tone. And some of the crevices along the surface of the SD were pretty shallow to begin with so after the white coat some of them just didn't hold the black very well.

FYI, I painted everything white before assembly. There were no tolerance issues putting it together except for the bridge which was pretty tight. I wanted to paint before assembly to avoid getting any on the "engine assembly" (electronics, lights and speaker). In hindsight you can assemble most the entire thing and then attach the top and bottom, so for the next one I might do that. Because I'm definitely getting a few of these to hang. :D ...but I'll probably just go ivory or slight off white on the rest.

Also, apologies for the pics being sideways... :confused:
Also, apologies for being an impatient poorly equipped photographer... ;)

Reaction score
That's such a tempting piece, and some additional paint goes a long way! I've yet to buy any of these models, but capital ships do peek my interest.

Reaction score
Looks great! Can you post a side-by-side with the Collector's Fleet Star Destroyer made by Kenner in 1997. If this is a hit, Revell should seriously consider branching out with capital ships, as hardly any company has before when it comes to Star Wars. Super Star Destroyer, Trade Federation Droid Control Ship, Acclmator Class Cruiser, Separatist Frigate, The Invisible Hand, Death Star II, etc.

Reaction score
Looks great! Can you post a side-by-side with the Collector's Fleet Star Destroyer made by Kenner in 1997. If this is a hit, Revell should seriously consider branching out with capital ships, as hardly any company has before when it comes to Star Wars. Super Star Destroyer, Trade Federation Droid Control Ship, Acclmator Class Cruiser, Separatist Frigate, The Invisible Hand, Death Star II, etc.
Thanks!

I'm afraid I don't have one. I had the Collector's Fleet Super Star Destroyer years ago but traded it off. Off the top of my head I can say the detail is superbly better on this one. And actually given what the CF ships go for on the secondary market there's no contest $/$.

And I'm right there with you, give us some more larger model sets!

Reaction score
Great work, DP!

Since I have the Collectors Fleet SD, I gave this a miss when I bought the other two kits (i.e. U-wing and AT-ACT) from Amazon. Arrgh, you tempted me to get this too. This version looks good.

Reaction score
I bought the First Order Tie from Revell from their "Level 1" line (= just snap some pre-painted parts, including light and sound) for just 8 Bucks last week from Amazon in Germany. I must say I am VERY positively surprised about the quality, size, paintjob, detail and precision on this model. I ignored this line so far, but this model really peeked my interest, even for regular prices from 15 - 30 €/$.

Is that Star Destroyer from DarthPete from that Level 1 line from Revell as well? I couldn't find that info in his post...

Reaction score
Yes. It is Level 1.

Revell releases 3 sets of Level 1 kits for Rogue One: U-Wing, AT-ACT and Star Destroyer. Level 2 shall be AT-AT and Y-Wing.

Reaction score
And we're getting a re-release on the Venator Star Destroyer. I'm not sure what level it is, but it requires glue and paint unlike the other models.

Reaction score
First of all, great job Darth_Pete. I didn't even know about this Star Destroyer model until finding it at work on Friday.

I did some similar work to mine, repainted the "recessed" areas a medium flat grey and gave the whole ship a light black wash.

I also decided to create a Millennium Falcon accessory using a little styrene and a little peg from a "Halo" figure.

Now just waiting on an order from Shapeways. If my math is correct, this Corellian Corvette and "Gunship" (MF prototype) should be a little larger than 1/4000 scale but not by much. Both are just under 4cm long and will lineup with the primary hanger

https://www.shapeways.com/product/VNR9U7GT5/two-rebel-runners-prototype-and-production-models?optionId=10632282&li=ostatus

Reaction score
Not that you need another Star Destroyer, but Zvezda is making one that is 60 cm long! There are several pics on this thread: http://www.keeperoftheforce.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1517

It will be around $80, but shipping might be high since it's only being released in Russia. Sources suggest it will hit in December. At that size, you could almost use the MM Blockade Runner in a diorama.

Reaction score
Fantastic work 1300! As I was washing the back of the bridge on mine I had thought it would've been great if they had included a mini Falcon to click on. You read my mind!

Reaction score
Fantastic work 1300! As I was washing the back of the bridge on mine I had thought it would've been great if they had included a mini Falcon to click on. You read my mind!
Lol. Yeah, I was surprised too at the lack of an MF add-on. Was also dumbfounded that they packed the Imp-2 class into a "Rogue One" box. Thought it would've made more sense for 2 different bridge pieces or at least one that could extend.. Oh well.

Just trying to decide how I'll paint the 2 Corellian ships when they come in. Civilian, Imperial, or a combination?

Reaction score
Well, I finally got the order in from Shapeways for the Corellian starships that are close to the 1/4000 scale of the Star Destroyer. I love how detailed these things are considering how small they are. As of when I ordered, they were only available in a "frosted" plastic, but they are easy to paint. Now I just need to work on some mounting options.

Before:

After:

Reaction score
I finally learned the wash technique, and after a few runs I applied it to the Rogue One U-wing and TFA Millennium Falcon Revell kits. I never realized just how easy this was, and now I'm looking to go back and apply some washes to some of my past customs. These ships needed a wash, they were practically white, especially the U-wing.