MOC Episode VII BB-8 Astromech

Reaction score
When I saw BB-8 was a real, rolling, practical prop robot onstage at Star Wars Celebration VII, I was blown away! One of the most impressive things I saw at the convention, for sure. The experience inspired me to start working on this:

LEGO BB-8 WIP by SPARKART!, on Flickr.

Just a static model, nothing moves, no play features. I don't think the head can rotate either, but I won't be able to tell if it'll work at all, 'til I get some real bricks and piece it together.

Reaction score
It's going to be really interesting to see how Lego (and Hasbro) pull this guy off. Part of me wonders if he was designed just to troll the people who have to design the toys.

Reaction score
Interesting, I knew that there would be custom creations using variations on the Lowell sphere. I suspect that that LEGO will make their sphere all studs up to make it easier to build - a kind of 3D layer printing, like this one:

nanoblock BB-8 by inanoblock, on Flickr.

Wow, he says it's built with 2500+ pieces. My less studly version is about 250 pieces.

Reaction score
Thanks for checking it out. I'd really like to see LEGO make a UCS-sized BB-8 in scale with the UCS Artoo-Detoo. That would make an impressive display.