Missed opportunity in ANH?

Reaction score
My finacee and I had a little Star Wars marathon on May the fourth (Rogue One through Return of the Jedi). The movie got to the scene in Mos Eisley where the Sandtroopers are doing their street sweep and R2 and 3PO hide behind a door in some alcove. The Sandtroopers come by, one of them taps on the the door, announces," This one's locked, move on to the next one," and they leave.

My fiancee laughed, and for the first time I realized the true incompetence, or maybe laziness, of the Sandtroopers right there. "The door's locked, and no one ever hid anything behind a locked door, so let's just forget about this one."

I said to her, "What should have happened is, the Sandtroopers open the door, see R2 and 3PO. One of the troopers says, 'What are you two doing hiding in there?' but the sergeant stops him and says, 'Forget it, these aren't the droids we're looking for. Move on to the next one.'"

Missed opportunity, or would that have been too goofy?

Reaction score
Meh cut the Sandtroopers some slack, they’ve had a really bad space day. One of them was getting a space divorce and another fell off a dewback earlier in the day. All jokes aside you can do this to any movie anytime. You must always understand it’s the first time in theater’s that really counts. The original movie was so overpowering that the scene you speak of was just a 3 second blip on the screen. 43 years later no one on this planet has come close to matching the impact this film had.

And in Star Wars Movie reality if they had found the droids, the movie would be over, and the Deathstar would still be roaming around blowing up planets and other stuff for Target practice.

Reaction score
I always assumed it was standard for those doors to be locked, and if not you would need some kind of special access to do so. So when they knock and say it's locked, onto the next they know from experience they are usually empty rooms.

However, yes It is lazy in many ways...in both writing and the troopers. But it kept the pace up that being in Mos Eisley presented danger and the droids at that point were not the focus of the story, but getting a ship and getting out of there was.

Reaction score
I want to say l read somewhere ...and not sure if canon ...but that the backpacks on the Sandtroopers had cooling units in them? But even if so, you're baking in that desert sun, hauling around an air conditioner seeming almost counter productive, covered in that armor. I mean people are complaining about Covid 19 face masks being stuffy, imagine those suits in 100 plus degrees! And then in universe it had to suck but imagine the reality of it. I can imagine actors likely were fainting. Can you imagine the sweat? I once wore a 501st Scout trooper costume for even just a few hours in summer heat and my hair was so disgustingly sweaty...it looked like I got out of the shower. And that was NOTHING like what they went through.

But by that point the Empire was like 99% recruits...and frankly, they were probably so miserable they were half in the game. The troops then weren't all top brass. They didn't really need to be. The Empire had so much control l think it was more a quantity over quality thing by then. Not that all troopers were lackluster, mind you. They did manage to at least find them...but also to let them escape.

I wonder what would suck more...Sandtrooper duty or Snowtrooper duty. I think l also read the Snowtrooper pack has a heating unit. I hate cold weather, but

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well... my post wasn't meant so much to criticize the Sandtroopers as it was to speculate on how an alternate scene like I proposed would have gone over - the 'Troopers find the droids and start to question them, only to be stopped by a 'Trooper who recognizes them from earlier as 'not the droids [they're] looking for.'

Reaction score
Keep in mind those 6-8 trooper just killed an entire tribe of Jawas, do you think they really want to break down every door in that city? They are out numbered.

Reaction score
That's the built in problem with adding filler scenes though. They're meant to simply bridge the gap between the important parts, but often open up the most interesting questions. lol

Reaction score
Well... my post wasn't meant so much to criticize the Sandtroopers as it was to speculate on how an alternate scene like I proposed would have gone over - the 'Troopers find the droids and start to question them, only to be stopped by a 'Trooper who recognizes them from earlier as 'not the droids [they're] looking for.'
See one issue with that though. Yes Obi-Wan did mind trick some troopers into believing these weren't the right droids, but hypothetically even if one of those mind tricked troops said this...would even he really know they're the same droids from earlier? I mean, a lot of Droids look identical. Heck, I'd assume many are identical in appearance.

Reaction score
Again, good points all around, but let me make this (hopefully) even easier:

The door opens, a trooper says, "You droids - what are you doing hiding in there???" The trooper's sergeant (who is the one Obi-wan mind-tricked) intervenes and says, "Forget it, these aren't the droids we're looking for."

Would this have gotten a chuckle from you, or a groan?

Forget the logic of , "Oh but there are probably dozens of Sandtroopers stationed in Mos Eisley, so the odds of it being that group that finds them, blah, blah, blah," or, "They might not realize it's the same droids, etc., etc., etc."

If the scene played out the way I mentioned, would you (10 year old you, seeing the movie for the first time, lets say) have found it funny, or dopey?

Reaction score
Again, good points all around, but let me make this (hopefully) even easier:

The door opens, a trooper says, "You droids - what are you doing hiding in there???" The trooper's sergeant (who is the one Obi-wan mind-tricked) intervenes and says, "Forget it, these aren't the droids we're looking for."

Would this have gotten a chuckle from you, or a groan?

Forget the logic of , "Oh but there are probably dozens of Sandtroopers stationed in Mos Eisley, so the odds of it being that group that finds them, blah, blah, blah," or, "They might not realize it's the same droids, etc., etc., etc."

If the scene played out the way I mentioned, would you (10 year old you, seeing the movie for the first time, lets say) have found it funny, or dopey?
10 year old me would probably think it's cool how long that mind trick works. With a smile on my face :)

Reaction score
re: the tattooine heat

ANH started filming on March22 1976, the shoot in tunisia only lasted 2 1/2 weeks before the production moved to Elstree.
the average temperature in tunisia in the month of March is 66F(19C) in the daytime, and 48F(9C) at night.
that's pretty chilly. in every 'behind the scenes' shot I've seen, the crew are all wearing jackets and long pants.

Reaction score
re: the tattooine heat

ANH started filming on March22 1976, the shoot in tunisia only lasted 2 1/2 weeks before the production moved to Elstree.
the average temperature in tunisia in the month of March is 66F(19C) in the daytime, and 48F(9C) at night.
that's pretty chilly. in every 'behind the scenes' shot I've seen, the crew are all wearing jackets and long pants.

Well I'll be darned. I never would have guessed. Maybe I DID have it worse in real life than they did.

Reaction score
My finacee and I had a little Star Wars marathon on May the fourth (Rogue One through Return of the Jedi). The movie got to the scene in Mos Eisley where the Sandtroopers are doing their street sweep and R2 and 3PO hide behind a door in some alcove. The Sandtroopers come by, one of them taps on the the door, announces," This one's locked, move on to the next one," and they leave.

My fiancee laughed, and for the first time I realized the true incompetence, or maybe laziness, of the Sandtroopers right there. "The door's locked, and no one ever hid anything behind a locked door, so let's just forget about this one."
My guess is that, during ANH, the Empire was still seizing power and their authority was not yet absolute (hence the need for a Death Star). So they were always just one bad decision away from an uprising, especially on an Outer Rim world like Tatooine. Since the Sandtroopers were outnumbered on the planet with limited resources (hence the use of Dewbacks, instead of Imperial Walkers), they still needed to tread carefully in the city. Thus, busting down locked doors of private residences would have likely sparked a mass revolt in Mos Eisley and drawn way too much negative attention from the Hutts.

Reaction score
and/or it's like canada where people don't lock their doors unless they leave the house LOL :p this was filmed in 1976 after all. I didn't start locking my doors when I was sitting at home, until the 90's. back in 1976 my parents only locked the house when there was nobody home. this scene made perfect sense in 1976. it was a different time. the rules have changed in the last 44 years.

Last edited: