Misheard lines or misunderstood plot points

Reaction score
I will post an example of each and others can respond with theirs. I feel like my misunderstood plot point example is fairly common.

In the Mos Eisley Cantina scene, after Obi-Wan Kenobi uses his lightsaber to wound Ponda Baba and Dr. Evazan, he goes over to Luke and helps him up. Luke says, "I'm alright" and Obi-Wan says, "Chewbacca here is first mate on a ship that might suit us." Until a month ago, I always heard, "Too bad they're here. (referring to Ponda Baba and Dr. Evazan, then in the pause I thought he switched to talking about Chewbacca) He's first mate on a ship that might suit us." I know the real dialog makes a lot more sense and Obi-Wan doesn't even acknowledge the scuffle he just squelched like a true Jedi.

In Jabba's Palace, when Oola is dropped into the Rancor pit, I originally thought she was somehow turned into the frog that Jabba pulls out of the water tank and then eats. I think him licking his lips at her made me think he wanted to eat her. Obviously I figured out otherwise as I got a little older and the SE made it much more clear what had happened to her (not to mention that we see what happens to Luke in the pit shortly thereafter in either version).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, I remember noticing this way back in the early '90s. I have never been certain of what the other Ewok says back to him. "Martin is short"? "Smart for sure"?

Reaction score
Until recently I thought Luke was saying, "I'll meet you at the rendezvous point on... Tato-8!" at the end of Empire, only to recently realize he's saying Tatooine.

Reaction score
I can hear an Ewok in ROTJ say clearly, "That guys wise."
There's also "Here comes the window cleaner", which a Jawa mutters after C3PO says "Do you think they'll melt us down?" when the droids are being chosen for sale in the sandcrawler.

Reaction score
Not Star Wars but.....
In Infinity War
Stark: Kid where did you come from?
Spiderman The Future... (gets hit before he can finish the word.) He actually says Field Trip, but it has caused a lot of fun speculation about what could happen in End Game.

Reaction score
"IN The Garden OF Eden, Honey.. Don't you know that I'm lovin' you.. In A Gadda Da Vida Baby.. don't you know that I'll always be truuue.." [insert riff]

B)

Last edited:
Reaction score
ok. seriously.

here's mine: "The jundland wastes are not to be traveled lightly"

as a kid I always heard: "The Gentleman wastes enough to be traveled lightly" :whistling: (in other words. "leave your shit behind and let's go!" LOL) :p

Last edited:
Reaction score
this one is not mine, but I've heard it elsewhere and I thought it was funny:

Leia : (desperately) "I Love You!"

Han : (casually) "I Don't."

Leia : *bites her lip and chokes back tears*

Han : *shrugs*

:p

Reaction score
Funny thing about that Jundland Wastes line: Clearly I've heard that line all the years I've been watching the film but the only portion I really processed was the part about not being traveled lightly. Since I didn't quite know what he was talking about I think I blanked on what Obi-Wan was saying in the first half of that line until very recently.

Last edited:
Reaction score
In the early days of the Internet (circa 1995) I remember reading that Mark Hammill/Luke allegedly yelled "Carrie!" right after getting back destroying the Death Star & seeing Princess Leia. I've seen the film multiple times & can't swear to this - though he could be saying "Carrie" instead of "Hhheeeeyy"?!

Reaction score
Until recently I thought Luke was saying, "I'll meet you at the rendezvous point on... Tato-8!" at the end of Empire, only to recently realize he's saying Tatooine.
ok. seriously.

here's mine: "The jundland wastes are not to be traveled lightly"

as a kid I always heard: "The Gentleman wastes enough to be traveled lightly" :whistling: (in other words. "leave your shit behind and let's go!" LOL) :p
I mis-heard both of those exactly the same way! lol

Reaction score
Not sure if this counts but when I first watched ESB many years ago I thought the entire Echo Base was actually the power generator when you see it on the Executor’s screen.

Reaction score
Not sure if this counts but when I first watched ESB many years ago I thought the entire Echo Base was actually the power generator when you see it on the Executor’s screen.
Apparently some people have thought that the closeup shot of the back of Vader's helmet while he's standing on the bridge of the Executor toward the beginning of the film was supposed to be the ship he was on, a ship shaped like his helmet.

Reaction score
In The Force Awakens when Han is explaining to Rey & Finn that the last he heard Luke had gone looking for the original Jedi Temple, for a while I thought Rey responded with “The Jedi Warial!”, like that was the ancient name for the temple or something.

What she actually says is “The Jedi were real?”

Reaction score
Also on ANH during the purchase of the droids, Uncle Owen cuts short C-3PO by saying “alright, shut up”. 3PO’s response is “shutting up, sir”.

Up until about 5 years ago I thought 3PO said “shut up, sir” like he was answering back.

Reaction score
For the longest time, in ANH, just before Red Leader goes down, I always misheard him as saying "I just lost my exstallboard engine!" Turns out it was an actual error in the audio track because they would correct the audio so you can clearly hear him say "starboard engine" in the special editions.

Reaction score
I just realized last night that I've been mishearing a line in ANH for my entire life. When Greedo has Han at gunpoint and says, "[Jabba] has no use for smugglers who drop their shipments at the first sign of an Imperial cruiser" I always heard Han respond, "Even I get bored at sometimes." I was always very confused by this dialog. Now that I realize it's actually "even I get boarded sometimes," it makes a lot more sense.