Mini helmet line interest

Reaction score
I think many of us on the forum would all love to see the mini-scaled replica helmets make a come back, if the poll was anything to go by then there should’ve been some acknowledgement from GG really but I’ve come to think perhaps our rep back then didn’t really communicate very well with the development team (just an assumption looking at the past & current results now we have Daniel here)..., anyway it’s past time we got a new consensus of opinion to see where we’re at & if demand is still alive despite there being nothing to buy? I’d like everyone not to think of limitation in choice currently, say what you’d like to see (if anything) & give us a nice platform so we can show the level & variety of interest in this fabulous but neglected line....

My starter list is as follows: -

01) AT AT Driver
02) Tie Fighter Pilot
03) Royal Guard/Senate Guard
04) X-Wing Pilot(s) - all variants eventually
05) Snowtrooper/Snowtrooper Commander
06) Death Star Gunner
07) Biker/Scout Trooper
08) Skiff Guard (Lando)
09) Clone Trooper(s) phase I/II - all variants again (commanders especially)
10) Boushh (Leia)
11) AT ST Driver/General Veers armoured helmet
12) Y-Wing Pilot
13) Shoretrooper (RO)
14) Death Trooper (RO)
15) Stormtrooper (episode VII)
16) Captain Phasma (episode VII)
17) Kylo Ren (episode VII)
18) Darth Vader (melted helmet from episode VII)

There’s also potential for this not to just be limited to what we’d call strictly helmets as I’d love to see a droid head/helmet series too, we have C3PO so why not the rest or at least a good variety to go with him? Just putting it out there to see what your thoughts are though guys & girls???

Last edited:
Reaction score
I mentioned this about six years ago and I'll repeat it , word by word, again:

Being a collector of scaled helmets since Riddell first offered these, and being the Tie Fighter Pilot the one helmet scrapped in its final production sample stage because of sales not being what Riddell hoped, I've been looking for years to see this helmet turn into a reality. Even its name appeared as part of the list of helmets included on the information request card for future releases that was inserted in the boxes produced by Riddell.

Eleven years ago while doing Visual Guides for another website, I had the opportunity of interviewing Chris Reiff the helmets' designer, and in his own words he had this comment to make :

" The Tie Fighter Pilot helmet was very close to going into production and got the plug pulled on it at the very last minute. I would have loved to see the line continue! "

Only 6 painted prototype copies of the TIE Fighter Pilot helmets were ever produced to be submitted for approval, just before the Line was axed. Even the Tech Sheet or blueprint (see actual TIE Fighter Pilot helmet blueprint I posted below) showing interior components of the helmet was actually printed; one can clearly notice the attention to detail in its complex internal mechanics. This small stock, was never made available for purchase. Chris had this to say as well:

" ... none of them are in the hands of private collectors. One is on loan to a friend for his museum of Star Wars product. The other 5 remain secured. "

I'd love for Gentle Giant to continue the tradition Riddell started offering take apart features and intricate details inside and out of each helmet. Here are some pictures I worked on of the never released Tie Fighter Pilot helmet. Hopefully this time around it will see a release ...

Note: While this would be my preferred helmet to see its release first, I would buy any other .45 scale helmet Gentle Giant would produce,, and from any film. Let's face it, helmet designs are awesome! Just start up with something never made available for purchase before, such as this great TIE Fighter pilot helmet.

Note: Pictures of the helmet supplied by Chris Reiff and not to be reproduced. Thank you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There’s also potential for this not to just be limited to what we’d call strictly helmets as I’d love to see a droid head/helmet series too, we have C3PO so why not the rest or at least a good variety to go with him? Just putting it out there to see what your thoughts are though guys & girls???
Funny you mentioned this, Kevin. I actually made a Battle Droid Head/Helmet out of one of those Hasbro Micro Machines playsets. But yes, droid heads would be a fantastic type of collectible in the .45 scale to add to the collection. Here is my Helmet Battle Droid. I gave it to my son years ago:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Funny you mentioned this, Kevin. I actually made a Battle Droid Head/Helmet out of one of those Hasbro Micro Machines playsets. But yes, droid heads would be a fantastic type of collectible in the .45 scale to add to the collection. Here is my Helmet Battle Droid. I gave it to my son years ago:

That is awesome Julian, very impressed with that..., as you know I love to see something visual when it comes to what we’re discussing & as usual you don’t disappoint. Glad to have you here on the forum sharing in the enthusiasm with me/us & also grateful for your artistic & creative skills, in my mind I see what I want but putting it into reality, there I fall short.

Reaction score
You are too kind, brother, but thank you. Glad to share the passion of the hobby with you and others. Let me just say that in the same way, I greatly appreciate your effort and enthusiasm pushing for the collectibles we all want to see made without any distinctions nor bias. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
My starter list is as follows: -

01) AT AT Driver
02) Tie Fighter Pilot
05) Snowtrooper/Snowtrooper Commander
06) Death Star Gunner
07) Biker/Scout Trooper
09) Clone Trooper(s) phase I/II - all variants again (commanders especially)
10) Boushh (Leia)
11) AT ST Driver/General Veers armoured helmet
13) Shoretrooper (RO)
14) Death Trooper (RO)
15) Stormtrooper (episode VII)

I kept the ones on your list I agree on. You pretty much hit them all LOL. Though I wouldn't also mind Bounty Hunters like Zam Wesell, Zuckuss, IG-88 added in there too. Plus a General Grievous that laughs or coughs when you walk by would not only be creepy but freak people out who come over the first time LOL. OF COURSE McQuarrie versions would also be a must for me!!

I used to own the entire Riddell line when it came out and fell in love with it instantly upon seeing it at a comic con in Philly. It is to this day one of the best produced, detailed mini helmets lines I have ever seen or owned. Being I also collect sports autographs and buy a TON of full size and mini helmets for football, hockey and baseball to get signed all the time I can tell you none of these hold a candle to the quality and craftsmanship we were treated to on the SW Riddell line!

Reaction score
I would absolutely love to see this line return. My list is below.

Republic Commando Delta Squad (at a minimum Scorch but would love the whole squad)
Shoretrooper (RO)
Death Trooper (RO)
AT AT Driver
Tie Fighter Pilot
Snowtrooper
Biker Scout Trooper
Stormtrooper (episode VII)
Captain Phasma (episode VII)
Kylo Ren (episode VII)

Reaction score
My list has just grown but I’ll just say that I’d love to see the McQuarrie helmets too rather than listing them all. :) Oh & I’d like a Rebels Vader helmet, seen a realistic one one Facebook & it’s beautiful (in as much as a bad guys bucket can be). :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
This might be a stupid question, but does anyone know why/how companies settled on .45 scale instead of half-scale? I realize the extra .05 is pretty irrelevant, but it still seems strange to go with .45 instead of one half.

Reaction score
Good question actually, unfortunately I don’t know the reason but have often wondered why it was 0.45 scale & not 0.5 or 1:2 scale..., I’d like to know as well.

Reaction score
I’d forgotten all about that website, thanks for sharing..., guess when there’s nothing new it becomes less of a thing to go look at after a while BUT always nice to see again. :)

Reaction score
I'd love to see more of these helmets, my preference would be for tie fighter pilot and at-at driver first, I'd probably buy whatever was made to be fair

Reaction score
I'd love to see more of these. Everyone already know what I would want more of. If they did restart this line I'd love to see them start with the Tie Pilot or AT-AT Driver. There are a lot of .45 scale helmets that could be done and not just Star Wars. If done right, with Disney owning multiple properties, we could see Tron, Tron Legacy, Rocketeer, Marvel helmets and Indiana Jones. Does GG have the rights to the scaled weapons also?