Millennium Falcon - "Hero Series"

Reaction score
I kept the job as simple as possible. Small soft brush and some Tamiya flat black and flat grey. Dry brushing is a quick way of bringing out all the raised detail.

The white LEDs arrived yesterday, so I'll install them in later this week. I predrilled around 10 holes in the cockpit area (under the stickers) so there'll be some glow from the cockpit + 2 front (spot) lights and I want a soft diffused glow around the front entry point.

You are gonna have one sweet Falcon, sir.

I have the BMF, but have been considering weathering one of these and hanging it on a wall, basically like a painting. You've inspired me to LED the engine area, but I don't feel confident in my modeling skill to tackle the cockpit.

Anyway, thanks for info and very impressive work. (Very envious of your skills also).

Reaction score
S4Sith, could you also post a picture of the back lights where you installed the blue LED's? Did you also apply the two stickers, or just the lights?

Reaction score
S4Sith, could you also post a picture of the back lights where you installed the blue LED's? Did you also apply the two stickers, or just the lights?
Plenty of spare time to day because I finished up with my old job (building Air Warfare Destroyers [ I prefer to call them star destroyers]) and don't start my new job until Thursday.

Okay a couple of pics of the back lights - pretty basic and looks a bit 'rough', but the end product is all I'm after. You can see the two rear blue stickers as well. I think you still have to apply these just to give it that little bit extra colour when the lights are off, plus the shiny stickers probably aid in the reflection of the blue LEDs for better effect.

Also installed the white lights tonight, so a couple of pics of those as well.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and photos. Its looking really nice! I was thinking the same too, that the blue stickers will give it color and help the blue light to shine more as well. Also where did you put the battery packs? Did you strap them to the bottom?

Reaction score
Battery pack was strapped on the underside at the rear. Drilled a couple of holes and used a zip tie. The pack blends in nicely and doesn't look out of place.

Oddly for the light string with 30 LEDs it came with a big battery pack (3 x AA). The smaller 20 LED string uses a very small and thin battery pack using a couple of CR2032 batteries.

Reaction score
Just snagged 3 more of these in Marietta GA today for $15 each...still 3 left ..the WM near the Big Chicken.

Reaction score
Never seen this in store in Vancouver. Walmart.ca has them for $70. Ridiculous, but looking on Walmart.ca, I saw Sgt. Doallyn, which I've been looking for, and ordered two, with free shipping! Hope I don't get some random Black Series Figure.

Reaction score
A store nearby put These down to 25 Euros. I won't get it, but it will be interesting to see if it sells at tha Price.

Reaction score
Update time.
Ok, here's the pictures so far and a video showing the overall effect. The video is compressed to make it easy to download.

The last one shows the spread of the landing lights when the ship isn't on the ground.

Video :- http://youtu.be/BKsTST4L8OY

The frontmost lights are protruding from the mandibles but I'll be countersinking those prior to completion.

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm goiing to mount the ship on a stand but if I do that is where the mount will be. I'm thinking a small camera balljoint on a lightstand so I can alter the position.

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm goiing to mount the ship on a stand but if I do that is where the mount will be. I'm thinking a small camera balljoint on a lightstand so I can alter the position.
I think the landing lights look spectacular reflecting off the table. Sitting on a round platform, like Bespin would look good. A round side table even?

Also, what did you replace the engine sticker with? The engine grill looks perfect.

Reaction score
Update time.
Ok, here's the pictures so far and a video showing the overall effect. The video is compressed to make it easy to download.

The last one shows the spread of the landing lights when the ship isn't on the ground.

Video :- http://youtu.be/BKsTST4L8OY

The frontmost lights are protruding from the mandibles but I'll be countersinking those prior to completion.
Excellent job!

I'm in process of building sidewalls to replace decals, painting then weathering.

Projects like this are pushing me toward adding lighting. (Something I've never attempted. Thanks for the vid :))

If u are unaware, check out THERPF.COM, General Modeling section, New BMF Coming thread: 90 plus pages of custom Hero Series Falcons, including tons of 3D printed parts for sell. (Including open cockpit with back "wall" featuring a door and dozens of pin*****s in the instrumentation that shines like movie model when backlit with LEDs).

Reaction score
Also, what did you replace the engine sticker with? The engine grill looks perfect.
I put two strips of 12v LED's straight onto the ship. I then covered them with blue masking tape which looked really good, obviously no pattern apart from the leds shining through. Then I thought about the grille and I got one of those Eureka! moments :- A length of OO gauge railway track. It's a little on the wide side so I cut the sleepers from one side and removed the metal track. Voila !
I should have sprayed it the same colour as the ship but perhaps I will if I take the ship apart again to fit the mount and led circuit switches.

Reaction score
Reports all over facebook about this hunk of junk getting marked down to 15.00 at some Walmart stores. I still have ZERO interest in this thing, but for others who have been holding off, now may be the time to check. Website still showing these at 30.97.

Reaction score
This is back to £59.99 at Argos. I wish I'd bought another when it went from £29.99 to £21.99. I wonder if the internal volume of the ship is enough to fill with a helium balloon to give it slightly less than neutral buoyancy ?

Reaction score
Shapeways is where you'll find most of the 3D printed parts but some of them will be cast in resin very soon too.

https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=hsbro

If u are unaware, check out THERPF.COM, General Modeling section, New BMF Coming thread: 90 plus pages of custom Hero Series Falcons, including tons of 3D printed parts for sell. (Including open cockpit with back "wall" featuring a door and dozens of pin*****s in the instrumentation that shines like movie model when backlit with LEDs).

Reaction score
Bought this today for 15, what a POS! Hasbro was seriously charging 60 bucks for this, it should have been 25 tops. I just bought it to hang from the ceiling in my boys room since their room is Star Wars themed. It looks cool, and will probably be re-released with TFA along with the 2" line that Hasbro seems to have a stiffy over now.

Reaction score
Shapeways is where you'll find most of the 3D printed parts but some of them will be cast in resin very soon too.

https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=hsbro
My bad, you are correct. I've just gotten used to hitting that site then checking out shapeways through a link.

Bought this today for 15, what a POS! Hasbro was seriously charging 60 bucks for this, it should have been 25 tops. I just bought it to hang from the ceiling in my boys room since their room is Star Wars themed. It looks cool, and will probably be re-released with TFA along with the 2" line that Hasbro seems to have a stiffy over now.
BandHcomics, if you're willing to apply a paint wash to this it really makes a tremendous difference. THERPF.Com has some really nice examples in their General Modeling section. (If you've never done a wash, they are very easy, relatively quick and can be done over the decals).

Reaction score
Droideka and BountyHunterBen, very nice job you guys have done there!

I have the lights ready for the rear engines, but I haven't attached them yet. I'm almost done with the paint though, but I've been really busy so I haven't been able to finish it yet. Giving it a paint job really does make a huge difference in how the whole thing looks.

Reaction score
Where did you find this? I would like to get one at $20 at less.

Reaction score
Thanks IndyMOS. I have now done some weathering using stamping ink with a stiff brush of which I'll take some daylight pics at the weekend.
I've also done a cast of the detail in the jaws using airdrying clay. Ok, it will be a negative of the details but once it's sanded to fit and painted I think it will look ok. You can see them in the top left of one of the pictures
I've not gone overboard with the weathering effect but I will be doing some detailing of the top and bottom hull recessed areas just with some metallic paints like copper, gunmetal etc.

Reaction score
Thanks IndyMOS. I have now done some weathering using stamping ink with a stiff brush of which I'll take some daylight pics at the weekend.
I've also done a cast of the detail in the jaws using airdrying clay. Ok, it will be a negative of the details but once it's sanded to fit and painted I think it will look ok. You can see them in the top left of one of the pictures
I've not gone overboard with the weathering effect but I will be doing some detailing of the top and bottom hull recessed areas just with some metallic paints like copper, gunmetal etc.
Hey Droideka,
Really good idea casting the jaw details with clay. If you get time let us know how it turns out, may have to borrow (copy) your idea.

Thanks

Reaction score
Hey Jimmer,
I just tried to show some pics but there seems to be a problem. I'll try again.

Reaction score
I weathered the hull with the thought that as the ship flies it would hit atmosphere, debris etc front to back so had that in mind when I brushed the ink. The airflow hits a more vertical surface with a greater force causing a greater build up of marks with only a slight staining on flatter surfaces. I will be making better casts of the jaws now I know it looks ok. Altogether it's turning out better than I thought but it's still not up to the standard many on this forum display.

Reaction score
I weathered the hull with the thought that as the ship flies it would hit atmosphere, debris etc front to back so had that in mind when I brushed the ink. The airflow hits a more vertical surface with a greater force causing a greater build up of marks with only a slight staining on flatter surfaces. I will be making better casts of the jaws now I know it looks ok. Altogether it's turning out better than I thought but it's still not up to the standard many on this forum display.
Thanks, bro. When I get home tonight I'll check these out in-depth.

Again, great ideas.

Reaction score
Droideka, How come you didnt recess the LEDs?
I've never worked with LEDs, but they bring this model to life so much that I've been looking at tutorials, think I'm gonna give it a shot.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the work that Droideka's already done, this would be an upgrade that wouldn't require a tremendous amount of work (recessing LEDs I mean).

Reaction score
If you mean the front ones I intend to it's just that the position of the screws which hold the mandibles together are centred where the lights would be so I've got to cut the holes off centre. I'm actually thinking of spreading the legs for the leds either side of the screws or I may just cut holes off centre (I prefer the first option myself). The rest of the white leds only just protrude from the hull as I pushed them back a little. A 5mm drill makes a perfect hole for the leds which are just a push fit so can be replaced if necessary. I'm also looking at getting some flat top leds which would fit flush with the hull.

Reaction score
I've never worked with LEDs, but they bring this model to life so much that I've been looking at tutorials, think I'm gonna give it a shot.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the work that Droideka's already done, this would be an upgrade that wouldn't require a tremendous amount of work (recessing LEDs I mean).
I have a simple LED tutorial in my HOTH diorama thread if you're interested

Reaction score
I noticed the way you weathered it, and I had that same thought before I weathered mine. I ended up going with more of the way the screen models were weathered, but it certainly makes sense though that as the ship flies, debris like dirt, smoke, space dust, etc. would go from front to back.

Reaction score
So I found one of these at Wal-Mart on clearance for $10. It was the only one they had. I got it home, opened it and find that it has no stickers/instructions. Can anyone help me get ahold of some or tell me where to get them?

Reaction score
So I found one of these at Wal-Mart on clearance for $10. It was the only one they had. I got it home, opened it and find that it has no stickers/instructions. Can anyone help me get ahold of some or tell me where to get them?
I haven't applied my decals, I could scan them and instructions and email to you. You would have to buy adhesive sheet to print stickers on, but it would be an option. Let me know if you need (and pm email if you do).

Reaction score
When you apply your new casts let me know how it goes (if you get time). I've never worked with clay (or LEDs, lots of catching up to do: thanks for LED tutorial Spooky) but this looks like a great option.