Millenium Falcon

AJD

Reaction score
My 6 year old has his heart set on a Millenium Falcon. I read on the Toys R Us/Amazon website that the quality of the current OTC Millenium Falcon is horrible. Because this will be well played with, I cannot afford to buy junk. But I see on Ebay there is a '95 OTC Falcon, as well as a POTF Falcon. Can anyone tell me which is sturdy? I didn't realize there were so many versions!
Thanks, Amy

Reaction score
I have the POTF one, and it's held up very well. The batteries need changing every once in a while.

Reaction score
AJD said:
My 6 year old has his heart set on a Millenium Falcon. I read on the Toys R Us/Amazon website that the quality of the current OTC Millenium Falcon is horrible. Because this will be well played with, I cannot afford to buy junk. But I see on Ebay there is a '95 OTC Falcon, as well as a POTF Falcon. Can anyone tell me which is sturdy? I didn't realize there were so many versions!
Thanks, Amy
The OTC version is virtually the same as the POTF2 release, which is the vintage (1977ish) mold with better deco and electronics. I got the POTF2 for $3 on clearance in 2000 and, while it has held up much better than my vintage one did, this one doesn't get played with.
Go on ebay, I would suggest.

GNT

Reaction score
Paying $3 for is like stealing! Amazing price thats for sure

Reaction score
WOW $3? Thats INSANE!!
The POTF2 95' ver. I would reccomend, however IMO its exactly the same as the OTC 00'!

Reaction score
Mike_S said:
I thought there were a few minor differences between the POTF2 and OTC versions?
The mold is essentially unchanged in the last 28 years. There are just two upgrades to note in the OTC rererelease: 1, the back of the cockpit is slanted back to somehow better accomodate the behemoths of the modern line; 2, the engines in the rear are no longer stickers, but light-up blue electronics. Still worth nowhere near $50, but I picked up one or two on clearance this time last year and gave it/them away as presents.

Reaction score
Chewbacca said:
the engines in the rear are no longer stickers, but light-up blue electronics.
That's the only thing I have found to be faulty on these OTC Falcons. I've had about a dozen in my possession since their release and they are all physically well made and sturdy - but I have had problems with the electronics acting up!

Mike

Reaction score
depending on wich one you want, try searching e-bay for millennium falcon, or google the OTC Millennium Falcon. those are juat a few ways to find it!

AJD

Reaction score
It is still available at Toys R Us for 49.99. But first go on toysrus.com and read the customer reviews. Every single entry says it is a piece of junk with doors and hatches that will not stay on. The customers overwhelmingly write: 'Do not buy". Am I the onlt one who has seem these scathing criticisms?

Reaction score
It was funny when I was walking through the Clearance isles at the walmart in my famillys home town, I saw the OTC Millennium Falcon, and those OTC Carrying cases, and a bunch of peg warmer figs. I passed the OTC Falcon thinking about it I wanted to scoop it up for 20$ and could I fit it in my suitcase, or ship it home to Japan. I picked up the 2 carrying cases, and decided that OK I will get the falcon. when I went back to get it, it was gone. I went over to hang out with my uncle and he is ripping open a millennium falcon showing me. HAHA I asked him where he got it, "Walmart, it was on clearance" I wasnt really pissed, just dissapointed. I picked it up later at a navy exchange for 19.99! HA .01 cent cheaper!

Reaction score
Mike_Machika said:
Chewbacca said:
the engines in the rear are no longer stickers, but light-up blue electronics.
That's the only thing I have found to be faulty on these OTC Falcons. I've had about a dozen in my possession since their release and they are all physically well made and sturdy - but I have had problems with the electronics acting up!

Mike
Perhaps that is meant to be an authentic replica of Falcon from ESB.

Reaction score
I think what most of those reviews are complaining about are things that collectors as a whole don't really notice. If you think about the "technology" used in the production of that vehicles physical parts to hold it together, it is kinda flimsy compared to todays standards. What with the way the landing gear slide out, the boarding ramp, even the plastics that are removable to access the interior feel clumsy. I'd just ignore it if I were you. Its simply the nature of the beast.

Reaction score
I've been piecing together an OTC Falcon, and have a question for anyone that knows: Is the plastic used for the brown pieces (ramp struts, gunner's chair, etc.) more brittle than the plastic used for the equivalent blue pieces on the earlier versions? It's been a few decades since I owned a vintage version, but I don't remember the blue pieces being as fragile as the newer brown ones. Any information appreciated, thanks!

Reaction score
I picked up one of these last year and the 'headlights' on the front mandibles aren't lighting up.

Has anyone here tried taking one apart to fix this or a similar problem? I'd guess it's just a loose connection but I'm not sure how delicate the electronics are.

Reaction score
I've had the same issue since I picked this up in Walmart's pre-Christmas panic of 2008. If you don't get the mandible in there perfectly, the electrical connection may be inconsistent. That's my situation. I believe Adam Pawlus addressed this, in a manner of speaking, after he moved to Galactic Hunter. I believe there are some screws you can remove (TEMPORARILY) on the underside of the main hull. Adam was replying to an out-of-box collector who wanted to see if it was possible to "rebox" the BMF for a move. As I recall, Adam specifically recommended against it for that specific purpose, because of Murphy's Law, but it is technically possible. I would suggest a search of Adam's Q&A archives at GH.

Reaction score
I'm so sorry. I thought you were referring to the BMF. I have the mold you are referring to both in 1978 and 1995 models, but have never taken apart the POTF2 or OTC versions.

Reaction score
I picked up one of these last year and the 'headlights' on the front mandibles aren't lighting up.

Has anyone here tried taking one apart to fix this or a similar problem? I'd guess it's just a loose connection but I'm not sure how delicate the electronics are.
I dissassembled one of mine just to clean it thoroughly, but luckily it didn't have any electronic issues. A few questions for you:

1) Do the other lights and sounds work? If so, that rules out a battery connection problem.
2) Do the headlights work with any of the buttons? They should light up with buttons #1, 2, and 4 (top to bottom, left to right). #3 is for the red cannons. If any of the buttons activate the headlights, there might be a pushbutton problem.
3) Are both of the headlights out, or just one?

As for actual dissassembly it's easy:

1) Remove the cover, top gun/port, cockpit cover, and anything else that might fall off.
2) Flip it upside down. There will be 12-ish long screws and ~= 10 short screws (mainly near the rear of the hull). There are also two deep recesses near the bottom gunport that look like screwholes, but they're just large pegs that align the top and bottom hulls. No screws in them. Splurge for a magnetic screwdriver if you don't have one, makes things a little easier.
3) Here are some photos of the wiring once it's apart.

This is the battery box and the speaker. If the other electronics are working, there shouldn't be a problem here. If nothing works, the first thing to check after making sure you have good batteries is to make sure the terminals in the battery box are clean.

This is the pushbutton panel. If you look to the right of the panel, you can see a remnant of a brown plastic wiring clip that snapped off of mine. Very brittle plastic, but not a crucial piece.

This is an overview of the front end wiring. The gold box is the missile launcher. In the lower right corner, you can see the wires feeding from the button panel to the small green circuit board, at which point the wires branch out to the various lights.

The orange and red (yellow and red on the other mandible) wires feed the red cannons.

The two headlight LEDs slip into the clear plastic three-pronged diffusers. The yellow goop seems to be hot glue or something similar. On mine the glue has a little flexibility but not much.

Once you free the light from the glue it lifts out. Nothing else holding it in place.

The LED slips right out of the clear plastic piece.

It seems unlikely that both front LEDs would crap out, but who knows. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
I dissassembled one of mine just to clean it thoroughly, but luckily it didn't have any electronic issues. A few questions for you:

1) Do the other lights and sounds work? If so, that rules out a battery connection problem.
2) Do the headlights work with any of the buttons? They should light up with buttons #1, 2, and 4 (top to bottom, left to right). #3 is for the red cannons. If any of the buttons activate the headlights, there might be a pushbutton problem.
3) Are both of the headlights out, or just one?
Thanks for the detailed post, I'll see if i can take the Falcon apart this weekend and have a look.

In answer to your questions;
1) All of the other lights and sounds work.
2) Headlights don't work with any of the buttons
3) Both headlights are out.

Based on your photos, I'd guess there's a loose connection at the small green circuit board near the front.

Reaction score
Based on your photos, I'd guess there's a loose connection at the small green circuit board near the front.
I'm no wiring guru, but it seems it would have to be one of the following:

1) Two bad LEDs -- Seems unlikely; I've never had one go bad, much less two. Maybe you could cut the wires and connect the LED directly to a battery for testing?
2) A loose connection at the circuit board; or
3) A loose connection between the circuit board and the power source or button panel.

I'd probably fiddle around with some extra wire and an LED to see if the circuit board is getting juice from the white wire. If it's getting power, seems the problem would be a bad outbound terminal? It would be an ugly fix, but splicing all the white wires together and bypassing the circuit board altogether might work.*

*An ugly fix should fit right in. This is the Falcon we're talking about, after all. :grin:

Good luck. Would be interested to hear if you get it squared away.

Last edited: