Micro Machines (2015+)

Reaction score
I'd be curious if they
a) used old transparent / X-ray stock and just painted them, or
b) pressed new models from non-transparent plastic
Almost certainly your option B, based on my experience, at least. The labour and cost involved in collecting, transporting and unboxing existing stock, then preparing and repainting the entire surface of each model as suggested in option A makes it uneconomical. Much simpler to just run more product in non-transparent plastic. :)

Reaction score
I would not expect them to get stock back from retail, but rather use excessive stock before distribution, or just pressing remaining transparent plastic and paint it.

So, I could not resist my curiosity and checked it. And guess what they did: they used transparent plastic under the paint coat, so it seems it it is really the X-Rays painted

Also, the weight is the same with 17 Grams each. Therefore I am sure that the painted models even include the interiors which you of course can not see any more. Wow!

See the picture. There was some paint scrubbed away from attaching the wing, and I did scratch away some more to make it clear.

Mystery solved! It's option A!

Reaction score
Wow, that's really interesting and cool. I guess they ran the whole lot in one run and then just specificed different paint directions for x-ray vs painted. cool discovery. :)
A fellow collector mentioned that the Trilogy Gift Set came after the X-Rays. So, maybe they never planned the coloured plastics, as the Titaniums (same size & look) were already available. But then they noticed excess stock of transparent plastic models, painted them, and busted them out in the gift set for cheap and in numbers.

Anyway, quite interesting and I am glad I checked this.

Reaction score
Thanks for coming back on this so quick.

I wonder why they were called "painted X-Ray". I could really believe that they only molded / pressed those plastic ships in Titanium size ONCE and they were all X-Ray, and then decided to get rid of some stock by painting the remaining pieces for this set. Maybe Mark will confirm later. I am almost tempted to scratch away some paint from the painted Shuttle to this whats beneath...

Hey, only just saw this,

Good to see a discussion on Micros going on :)

I hope that we get more star wars ones in the near future.

The term "painted X-Ray" was just what I adopted from my research, I saw people referring to them as that in different guides and forum posts. So I just assumed that's what people had collectively decided that they were called lol.

It was a set that I was surprised to discover, and eager to own.

I think from what I have seen, that a few of the moulds may have been re-used for Hasbro's 2006 micro line too.

Also, on another note. I just recently found a set of 12 gold coloured cork board pins which are moulded diretly from vintage Galoob star wars micro machines figures and released around the same time by a different company. I have never seen those mentioned before.

Reaction score
A fellow collector mentioned that the Trilogy Gift Set came after the X-Rays. So, maybe they never planned the coloured plastics, as the Titaniums (same size & look) were already available. But then they noticed excess stock of transparent plastic models, painted them, and busted them out in the gift set for cheap and in numbers.

Anyway, quite interesting and I am glad I checked this.
The set was an exclusive to JC Penny, so could also have been directed by needing an exclusive tie in for that deal.

Reaction score
Also, on another note. I just recently found a set of 12 gold coloured cork board pins which are moulded diretly from vintage Galoob star wars micro machines figures and released around the same time by a different company. I have never seen those mentioned before.
I'm not sure I understand what you are referring to in "gold coloured cork board pins". Do you have a picture ?

Reaction score
I haven't opened mine yet, or had chance to photo them. But they are the exact micromachines moulds only minus the base and with a pin sticking out of the back from each figure.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, these are indeed the same molds, it's a fun discovery !

On a related note, Applause also used some Galoob/Hasbro molds for a set of ships that were attached to a suction cuo that you could then suspend. I have the Trade Federation AAT but I'm not sure how large the line was.

Reaction score
The Applause Danglers (as they were called) were pretty extensive.. I have had the Falcon, a Naboo fighter, an X-wing, and a Star Destroyer before, and I've also seen a Y-wing I believe, but never bought one. If I recall, they were sold out of a counter display box that had room for either 9 or 12 little clear boxes in it, which is how they came. Maybe that's how many different ones there were?

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, these are indeed the same molds, it's a fun discovery !

On a related note, Applause also used some Galoob/Hasbro molds for a set of ships that were attached to a suction cuo that you could then suspend. I have the Trade Federation AAT but I'm not sure how large the line was.
No problem :) and yeh I was surprised by how cheap they were too, I got them for like £6 delivered. They are by "Roseart" if anyone wants to check ebay for them.

I've looked at the Applause stuff before, can we confirm that they are the exact same moulds? I got sent an applause deathstar once by a seller who thought it was the micro machines one. And it was a complete different mould altogether. And when I looked at photos the pod racers looked different too. Anyone have any side by side comparisons?

And @ Darthscanner,

There are also sebubulba's pod racer, Anakin's pod racer, droid tank, vulture droid, sith infiltrator, death star, Y-wing, tie fighter

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that the Applause Danglers are different molds than Galoob/Hasbro's and they're cast in a more rubbery plastic, IIRC. But I wouldn't be surprised if Galoob made the molds: the Applause Trek ships are uncannily similar to their MM counterparts, if just a smidge bigger. If I can find my SW ones, I'll post some comparisons.

Reaction score
I still think the Applause are upscaled MMs but they're different molds, at least the TIE and Y-wing are.
Sorry, couldn't find my other box of MMs to compare with the other Danglers in the pic. But all the Applause are larger than their MM counterparts for sure.

P3300010.jpgP3300014.jpgP3300019.jpgP3300023.jpgP3300008.jpgP3300025.jpg

Reaction score
I still think the Applause are upscaled MMs but they're different molds, at least the TIE and Y-wing are.
Sorry, couldn't find my other box of MMs to compare with the other Danglers in the pic. But all the Applause are larger than their MM counterparts for sure.

View attachment 347901View attachment 347902View attachment 347903View attachment 347904View attachment 347900View attachment 347905
I might just be missing stuff because of the image quality, but there do seem to be some bits of detail differing between them. It seems more apparent on the Y-wing, the main body's raised orange wire on the MicroMachine one doesn't seem to be there on the other version for example.

Reaction score
Thanks D_D for the pictures ! It appears as such these are different molds then. I don't have my AAT near for a comparison shot at this time.

No problem :) and yeh I was surprised by how cheap they were too, I got them for like £6 delivered. They are by "Roseart" if anyone wants to check ebay for them.
--> I looked for those on ebay and was able to grab a pack for cheap as well, such a nice find, thanks again for sharing ! That will be a fine addition to the MM collection !

Reaction score
Amazing, thank you for that :) it's great to see the comparisons. They are close but definitely different.

I might just be missing stuff because of the image quality, but there do seem to be some bits of detail differing between them. It seems more apparent on the Y-wing, the main body's raised orange wire on the MicroMachine one doesn't seem to be there on the other version for example.
What comes to mind is that Applause tried to copy Galoob's homework xD

--> I looked for those on ebay and was able to grab a pack for cheap as well, such a nice find, thanks again for sharing ! That will be a fine addition to the MM collection !
You are very welcome :) glad that you found a cheap pack too. It's good to give back to the forum, as without this forum I wouldn't have known about a whole bunch of the micros. Just need Hasbro to make more, and feed my addiction xD although still got the hotwheels stuff to look forward to, both Star wars and pop culture (the thundercats tank is ace)

Reaction score
You are very welcome :) glad that you found a cheap pack too. It's good to give back to the forum, as without this forum I wouldn't have known about a whole bunch of the micros. Just need Hasbro to make more, and feed my addiction xD although still got the hotwheels stuff to look forward to, both Star wars and pop culture (the thundercats tank is ace)
Just unfortunate that being in the UK means having to resort to paying absurd prices on Ebay for things like that :confused: Lots of Star Wars Starships and other Hot Wheels things I'd like, and those upcoming GI Joe vehicles look great too, but I know it'll all be quite expensive to get here. I'd hope to see more MicroMachine Star Wars stuff too but considering it didn't do too well last time, I'm not sure if that's much of a possibility.

Reaction score
Just unfortunate that being in the UK means having to resort to paying absurd prices on Ebay for things like that :confused: Lots of Star Wars Starships and other Hot Wheels things I'd like, and those upcoming GI Joe vehicles look great too, but I know it'll all be quite expensive to get here. I'd hope to see more MicroMachine Star Wars stuff too but considering it didn't do too well last time, I'm not sure if that's much of a possibility.
Very true, at this point I am kinda glad that there isn't too many Star Wars Hot Wheels coming out at once. But snagging the Ebay deals can sometimes get them at reasonable prices. I grabbed the Hot Wheels Thundercats Thundetank and Heman plane for £26 including shipping and no import cost so £13 a piece which is still more expensive than America, but was a reasonable cost for how cool they are.

It's the £1 ships that spoiled us really lol. But When I weigh up how many I got at that price, It's like I could buy a few for £26 and split the cost by numbers and still work it out at £2-£3 per ship.

Reaction score
Someone shared this video with TV commercials from the 90s in the PotF2 figures thread. The second part is pure Galoob goodness !

Reaction score
Someone shared this video with TV commercials from the 90s in the PotF2 figures thread. The second part is pure Galoob goodness !

these are awesome... but is that Mark Hamill doing the voice over? sounds like a mix of Mark before he perfected his Joker voice

Reaction score
these are awesome... but is that Mark Hamill doing the voice over? sounds like a mix of Mark before he perfected his Joker voice
Yeah some of the commercials are Mark, most notably the Shadows of the Empire one.

Reaction score
Just a heads-up, as I finally was able to get my package from the US, with the Pins collection based on the MM figures. It is so nice and fun to add this to the MM collection, thanks again for sharing this information !

Reaction score
Just a heads-up, as I finally was able to get my package from the US, with the Pins collection based on the MM figures. It is so nice and fun to add this to the MM collection, thanks again for sharing this information !
Awesome :-D I am glad that they arrived, and you are most welcome! I opened mine at the weekend and people might be shocked... but I clipped the pins off lol. They are curiousity and really wonder how they came about, as the mould seems to be the same, but they are slightly smaller. And some minor variations to a few of the sculpts. I think the gold boba fett will make a great gold armoured mandalorian. Aiming to mod/paint the others into new characters at some point.

Reaction score
I recently received a link to answer some questions for Hasbro Pulse regarding my buying habits, interest in the premium membership, and things I'm most looking forward to with Hasbro Pulse. One of the question was to rank the interest of being, as a fan, part of the creation process of new products. Of course, I ranked that quite well, because I always appreciated things like the Fan Choice campaigns for 3.75 figures (now also available for 6"), and I believe that the "kickstarter"-like process behind the Khetanna (Jabba's Sail Barge) for 3.75" figures would not have been possible without earlier fans petitions.

That got me thinking about new ideas that could be shared with Hasbro, and especially for the Micromachines line. Thus, I was wondering how much support a revival of the line would get under a suscription-based system, à la Eaglemoss (for Star Trek ships) or similar to what you can find in the newspaper shops (in France, the most famous one is Editions Atlas, with a lot of different collections including up to 100 issues in order to complete a set of figures, a model kit,...). What about a line where you would get monthly (or quarterly) shipments of MicroMachines products ? Thanks to the subscription system, Hasbro would get regular sales, and an out of retail situation could be easier to manage (lower volumes to produce but with a higher price).

For example, it could be possible to imagine a system with monthly shipments of:
- a set of 3 ships from the main movies (Ep I-IX + RO + Solo)
- a set of 3 ships from the Expanded Universe (TV shows or comics)
- a set of 8 figures from any media (movies or EU)
for about 20-30$.
Throw in a quarterly playset and it could be glorious !

Would you be interested in such a system ?

Reaction score
I recently received a link to answer some questions for Hasbro Pulse regarding my buying habits, interest in the premium membership, and things I'm most looking forward to with Hasbro Pulse. One of the question was to rank the interest of being, as a fan, part of the creation process of new products. Of course, I ranked that quite well, because I always appreciated things like the Fan Choice campaigns for 3.75 figures (now also available for 6"), and I believe that the "kickstarter"-like process behind the Khetanna (Jabba's Sail Barge) for 3.75" figures would not have been possible without earlier fans petitions.

That got me thinking about new ideas that could be shared with Hasbro, and especially for the Micromachines line. Thus, I was wondering how much support a revival of the line would get under a suscription-based system, à la Eaglemoss (for Star Trek ships) or similar to what you can find in the newspaper shops (in France, the most famous one is Editions Atlas, with a lot of different collections including up to 100 issues in order to complete a set of figures, a model kit,...). What about a line where you would get monthly (or quarterly) shipments of MicroMachines products ? Thanks to the subscription system, Hasbro would get regular sales, and an out of retail situation could be easier to manage (lower volumes to produce but with a higher price).

For example, it could be possible to imagine a system with monthly shipments of:
- a set of 3 ships from the main movies (Ep I-IX + RO + Solo)
- a set of 3 ships from the Expanded Universe (TV shows or comics)
- a set of 8 figures from any media (movies or EU)
for about 20-30$.
Throw in a quarterly playset and it could be glorious !

Would you be interested in such a system ?

That sounds great, I get the Eaglemoss ships myself and love getting something new every month. I like the idea of mixing ships from comics, tv shows and movies. That would definitely have my vore.

Reaction score
It sounds great, but let's face it... a locked in subscription would lead to exploitation with this kind of stuff.

Just look at the last round of Micro Machines which had so many repeats upon repeats.

So imagine your 3 come through and only include 1 new ship, and you'd be locked into a subscription and unable to do anything about it.

Reaction score
@MarkJediWanderer : your concern is legitimate, but I believe that by including repaints or using clever repacks, the line could thrive without alienating the customers. In the recent line, some ships were heavily packed but with changes that made them desirable (for example the X-Wings with different colors to represent Red 1-2-3-4-5).

For example, if you look at possible Episode I sets, I would definitely be motivated at the look of a line like :

- Jedi negociations: Droid Control Ship, Republic Cruiser, Naboo Royal Starship
- Droid Invasion: C-9979 Landing Craft, MTT, STAP with Battle Droid
- Naboo Underwater: Gungan Sub, Opee, Sando Aqua Monster
- Tatooine hide-out: Naboo Royal Starship (repaint with battle damages), Sith Infiltrator, Sith Speeder with Darth Maul
- Droid Army: MTT (repack), AAT, Droid Troop Carrier
- Gungan Army: Falumpaset, Fambaa, Kaadu with Gungan soldier
- Liberation of Theed: AAT (repack or repaint with battle damages), Flash Speeder, Gian Speeder
- Naboo Space Battle: Naboo Fighter, Droid Fighter, Droid Fighter (same color scheme or paint variation)

--> Here, you have 24 ships/vehicles/creatures, including 4 (ca. 15%) repacks/repaints (AAT, MTT, Droid Fighter, Naboo Royal Starship) with 3 being "army-builders" that make sense to be packed multiple times (I know I would buy at least half a dozen of the Space Battle pack to have a swarm of Droid Fighters). Moreover, you have the possibility of reusing a number of ships in other sets based on the Clone Wars (AAT, MTT, Droid Fighter, Naboo Fighter, STAP, Droid Troop Carrier) with different color schemes. Obviously, the weakest set (in terms of reusing the elements) would be the Naboo Underwater. For the Tatooine hide-out, Maul is a fan favorite and the Royal Starship is a repaint, so it balances out. Then you have the Gungan Army, which can either be a hit (with people building armies) or a dud if people ignore it.

Figures sets could be :
- Battle Droids (8 droids in 3 different positions, similar to the 1999 set)
- Gungan Warriors (8 droids in 3 different positions, similar to the 1999 set)
- Naboo Forces (2 officers, 3 Royal Guards, 3 soldiers)
- Naboo Droids (8 droid with 3 different models - from the Queen's ship)
- Heroes & Villains (Darth Maul with robe, Obi-Wan Kenobi with robe, Qui-Gon Jinn with robe, Queen Amidala red dress, Anakin, R2-D2, C-3PO, Jar-Jar Binks)
- Heroes & Villains II (Darth Maul final duel, Obi-Wan final duel, Qui-Gon final duel, Queen Amidala (battle fatigues), Darth Sidious, Senator Palpatine, Boss Nass, Nute Gunray)

--> here, the Battle Droids pack just screams "repaint and repack me" for AotC/TCW/RotS sets.

And if you want to reward the fans, put in a special gift set with 12 (or all 18) podracers from the Boonta Eve Classic (or simply do a set with Anakin's, Sebulba's and Gasgano's pods).

Again, using Pulse as the base for availability could allow Hasbro to try the water first, and adapt the number of produced sets through pre-orders (although I do not know if the amount of interested people could match the minimum number of units that would need to be produced by Hasbro). It could be much more limited than for mass-market releases. And for "army-builders", just let these be around regularly based on sales success.

Reaction score
Queen Amidala in her red dress is probably the biggest abscense in all the Episode I Micro Machine figures, with Shmi Skywalker at the second place. So bad

Reaction score
I like some of your choices :) I have thought before about how much I'd want a federation landing craft and some others. And same for Amidala in red, it should have been a core character.

I think if they were going to re-use moulds then the repaint would be the way to go. Stuff like a blue scheme for the droid battle tank, snow deco speeder bike, mando deco At-St, red/blue leader y-wing. Then mix in brand new highly sought after vehicles and that could be a winner :)

Reaction score
Great choices, though since Wicked Cool Toys has the MM sub-license, it might be a good idea to contact them, Matt.

Reaction score
Great choices, though since Wicked Cool Toys has the MM sub-license, it might be a good idea to contact them, Matt.
I just sent emails to Hasbro and Wicked Cool Toys customer teams, let's hope we get answers about any possible revival of the Star Wars MicroMachines line !

At the same time I'm building some kind of "wishlists" for each movie similarly to what I proposed for Ep 1, I will share that with you soon.

Reaction score
Buying a Micro Machines from a pile of junk is one thing. Adding the Star Wars licence to it is something completely different.

I'd be happy if it happens, but my expectations are very, very low.

Excited to see an answer if you get any...

Reaction score
I hear Disney is slicensing up the toy licenses more now than they have in the past, so there may be hope. On the other hand, a SW license is no longer a sure bet means of printing money now, so potential licensees may be more hesitant to take on such an expensive property.

Reaction score
I just sent emails to Hasbro and Wicked Cool Toys customer teams, let's hope we get answers about any possible revival of the Star Wars MicroMachines line !

At the same time I'm building some kind of "wishlists" for each movie similarly to what I proposed for Ep 1, I will share that with you soon.
Been down this road friend, most likely the only answer they will give you is, "unfortunately we can not confirm nor deny any toylines in or not in development. But thank you for being a fan."

But who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and they'll reply. Best of luck to ya mate.

Reaction score
Well, Wicked Cool Toys anwsered the classical Customer team's answer:

Hello Matthieu!
Thank you for reaching out to us! Our team is working hard to make Micro Machines a truly amazing line! While we don't have anything to announce as of yet, I will be sure to send your email to our team for future considerations! Please keep your eye on our social media for more news and updates!
Thank you,
Wicked Cool Toys Customer Service Team
Hopefully my message will still be read by someone who cares. How about you guys push them and also send them mails showing support to the SW MM line ? Maybe with enough support something can be done.

Reaction score
Cool! Good on you for reaching out to them, Matt! :D And good idea. As someone who works in this industry, I can tell you that this sort of thing can definitely make a difference, sometimes. :)