Mexican bootlegs

Reaction score
I see a lot of the mexican bootlegs on ebay. For the cost, I'm sure they are copies. Still kind of a fun item to have. The ones I see have a vintage figure with looks to be a modern in the same baggie.

I was thinking about buying a set. The baggie has a return of the jedi logo on top.

What's your reaction to these?

These are remake bootlegs , correct?

Reaction score
They're remakes specifically for the bootleg collectors out there, some look pretty cool, I'm just wondering if they're toxic! lol They've been around for years, here are a couple threads that discuss them:

I like bootlegs myself, but I've never bought any Mexican versions, they've always struck me as cheap and poorly constructed, but that can be a draw for some.

Reaction score
They're remakes specifically for the bootleg collectors out there, some look pretty cool, I'm just wondering if they're toxic! lol They've been around for years, here are a couple threads that discuss them:

I like bootlegs myself, but I've never bought any Mexican versions, they've always struck me as cheap and poorly constructed, but that can be a draw for some.
Yeah, the ugly is the draw. You can buy a 3 pack for 10 to 20 dollars. Fun to have . I would just keep them in the packages.

Reaction score
I see a lot of the mexican bootlegs on ebay. For the cost, I'm sure they are copies. Still kind of a fun item to have. The ones I see have a vintage figure with looks to be a modern in the same baggie.

I was thinking about buying a set. The baggie has a return of the jedi logo on top.

What's your reaction to these?

These are remake bootlegs , correct?
A vast majority of these are indeed copies, or, what we have kind of coined... "copycat" bootlegs. These were not made by the original company that produced them in the 80's and 90's but rather some molds found their way into the hands of a scrupulous basement factory to make and sell them to the collectors market, mainly Ebay, but can also be found in Mexican markets. Now, that being said, not all the figures are copies. A lot of these 3-packs have legit 90's figures mixed in as well and some even have 90's figures painted to look different which is very unfortunate. Most of these sets you see on Ebay have been on there for quite some time because no one really wants them... definately not bootleg collectors who are after the real thing. Even though these may seem kind of cool to some, they have somewhat killed a portion of the 90's-early 2000's legitimate market and it's just a way to try to cash in on a good thing. I've collected Mexican bootlegs since around 2005 and have had hundreds in my collection and will never buy any of these for that reason.

Reaction score
A vast majority of these are indeed copies, or, what we have kind of coined... "copycat" bootlegs. These were not made by the original company that produced them in the 80's and 90's but rather some molds found their way into the hands of a scrupulous basement factory to make and sell them to the collectors market, mainly Ebay, but can also be found in Mexican markets. Now, that being said, not all the figures are copies. A lot of these 3-packs have legit 90's figures mixed in as well and some even have 90's figures painted to look different which is very unfortunate. Most of these sets you see on Ebay have been on there for quite some time because no one really wants them... definately not bootleg collectors who are after the real thing. Even though these may seem kind of cool to some, they have somewhat killed a portion of the 90's-early 2000's legitimate market and it's just a way to try to cash in on a good thing. I've collected Mexican bootlegs since around 2005 and have had hundreds in my collection and will never buy any of these for that reason.
Steve! im back baby! nice to see you still posting and talking boots, im just restarting my boot collecting and have amased a pretty decent collection from back in the day.

Nothing much i can say that you havnt about the ebay 3packs, most are modern made for the collectors market, sometimes theres one legit one mixed in with the rest.
@toyman, bootlegs are the best part of starwars collecting, watch out youll be sucked down the rabbit hole lol.

I just noticed the new fake mini jabbas everywhere, crazy.

Steve, im still into mexican and polish, just done a new display hows your collecting going?

Last edited:
Reaction score
These are fun but luckily I’m usually a one and done guy when it comes to adding pieces to my collection

I want to display everything from the line that was legit but pepper in some off wall pieces or bootlegs here and there

kind of like a where’s Waldo but with Star Wars

lol

Reaction score
These are fun but luckily I’m usually a one and done guy when it comes to adding pieces to my collection

I want to display everything from the line that was legit but pepper in some off wall pieces or bootlegs here and there

kind of like a where’s Waldo but with Star Wars

lol
Theres always some room for some bootlegs :)

Reaction score
I am not sure of the proper value of a bootleg ..
Each type has their own value thats forever fluid depending on demand, just like kenner stuff..
Its the type of thing you need to do plenty of research on price history and market value.
Mexican are the cheapest and very fun, theres still some good deals to be had with polish figures.
Guys like Steve in this thread, and Jakub, i read everything they post over the years to gain knowledge.
Boots are the most charming figures in the star wars world imo.
After i collected a full run of vintage and all the variants i was drawn to them, to be honest i enjoy them more than my original set of kenner now, theres everything to love about them.

Reaction score
Thats a polish 3rd gen as far as i know, looks ok to me, its one of the more common figures, you paid the going rate so well done..
I noticed you mentioned fake polish figures? thats news to me but ive been out of collecting for about 5 years or a bit more, maybe somebody has cast some fake ones, i'll have to ask Jakub.

Reaction score
Thats a polish 3rd gen as far as i know, looks ok to me, its one of the more common figures, you paid the going rate so well done..
I noticed you mentioned fake polish figures? thats news to me but ive been out of collecting for about 5 years or a bit more, maybe somebody has cast some fake ones, i'll have to ask Jakub.
Really?,,!! Now that's a nice surprise. I have to admit, I thought it was a copy because of the price. I was just looking for something cool like this to display with my collection

Reaction score
Really?,,!! Now that's a nice surprise. I have to admit, I thought it was a copy because of the price. I was just looking for something cool like this to display with my collection
looks legit to me bro, nice work.
Check out the polish 1st gen unarticulated too, some very charming figures there.
Not all boots are overpriced, theres plenty of attainable figures to get a nice little collection going.

Reaction score
I see the polish fetts are very expensive. How are the mexican fetts? What's the price range to look for and where's a good place for research?

You've been a terrific help and thank yoy.

Reaction score
My pleasure, shoot me a message if you ever need help.

Yes both the articulated and non articulated polish fetts are some of the more expensive figures, anything boba usually has a big following from not only boot collectors, but guys who have fett focus's and collectors in general..
Plenty of those peeps want some bootleg bobas for their collection at some point, demand has always been high for those figures.

Theres a good thread on tig about mexican boots, i suggest reading it so you can start getting an idea of whats legit and the types of figures you want to start looking for, id suggest really researching before you buy as all the recent modern ones are basically worthless apart from some of them being pretty cool.
Rebo/Steve in this thread is the leading expert in mexican boots, he would have forgotten more than i know about them, so he's a good person to ask questions.
I got some figures from him years ago that still hold pride of place in my mexican collection and learned lots off him,.
Most of the legit 80s/90s pieces have articulated arms and sloppy paint jobs, a waxy feel made from very light plastic,very often using the same paints, many were blow molds.
Not all of them are painted but many are.
The one piece unarticulated hard plastic ones you generally see on ebay now are mostly recently made for the collect market.
Any mini jabbas you see online, all bootlegs of bootlegs/fake boots, recently made, theres only one or two of the real thing known and definitely none for sale.
Actually looking on ebay i'd say 9.5/10 mexican figures are fake/boots of boots recently made figures.
Apart from the fun factor they hold little value.
In those 3 packs on ebay you might get one legit one and 2 recent ones if you are lucky.
5-7 years ago there were lots, things have changed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
s-l500.jpgs-l500-1.jpg

The 3 pack is fake but looks fun. Not sure a out the driver loose.

Reaction score
Steve! im back baby! nice to see you still posting and talking boots, im just restarting my boot collecting and have amased a pretty decent collection from back in the day.

Nothing much i can say that you havnt about the ebay 3packs, most are modern made for the collectors market, sometimes theres one legit one mixed in with the rest.
@toyman, bootlegs are the best part of starwars collecting, watch out youll be sucked down the rabbit hole lol.

I just noticed the new fake mini jabbas everywhere, crazy.

Steve, im still into mexican and polish, just done a new display hows your collecting going?
Hey bro! Great to see you man. Over the past couple years I've gotten burned out on vintage, sold a lot. I still focus on POTF2 which has grown immensely and started into bootleg lego a few years back which is pretty large as well. I even started my own POTF2 bootleg group on FB.

Yea, the fake Jabbas started to appear just a few years ago, I got the first one, a green one to check it out. Since then they've come in all sorts of colors.

@toyman941 Need any help with anything don't hesitate to ask!!

Reaction score
Aussiefortuna, you are correct, a LOT has changed in the Mexican market just over the last few years. Definately not like what it was even just 5 years ago. Then again, most of the other vintage lines have been the same just not to the extent of having so many fakes around. Getting legit Mexican bootlegs these days is harder for beginners because they really don't know the difference for the most part and it can be very confusing.

Reaction score
Hey bro! Great to see you man. Over the past couple years I've gotten burned out on vintage, sold a lot. I still focus on POTF2 which has grown immensely and started into bootleg lego a few years back which is pretty large as well. I even started my own POTF2 bootleg group on FB.

Yea, the fake Jabbas started to appear just a few years ago, I got the first one, a green one to check it out. Since then they've come in all sorts of colors.

@toyman941 Need any help with anything don't hesitate to ask!!
Nice to hear from you bro! damn so i missed your mexican boot sales lol? im still looking for a few pieces, sad to hear youve got out, you still got any of your collection?
Yeah i cant believe how much has changed in the half decade ive been out of the hobby.
Cant believe how much RS has changed, but everything in life changes, its all fluid isnt it.
If i hadnt collected quite a lot of boots before i had a break i'd be a bit lost now in knowing whats legit or not.
If youve got anything you want to move, let me know bro.
Why did you get burnt out? just the usual collectors progression?
I got burnt out too mate but ive just created a new display so im invigorated to get a few more pieces to display after many years off.

Great to touch base with you bro, you were one of my inspirations to go mexican and youre a top shelf guy always willing to help, one of the guys i missed in the hobby.
hope youve been well bro.

@toyman, sorry to take your thread a bit off topic here toyman, its been a long time away.

Reaction score
Nice to hear from you bro! damn so i missed your mexican boot sales lol? im still looking for a few pieces, sad to hear youve got out, you still got any of your collection?
Yeah i cant believe how much has changed in the half decade ive been out of the hobby.
Cant believe how much RS has changed, but everything in life changes, its all fluid isnt it.
If i hadnt collected quite a lot of boots before i had a break i'd be a bit lost now in knowing whats legit or not.
If youve got anything you want to move, let me know bro.
Why did you get burnt out? just the usual collectors progression?
I got burnt out too mate but ive just created a new display so im invigorated to get a few more pieces to display after many years off.

Great to touch base with you bro, you were one of my inspirations to go mexican and youre a top shelf guy always willing to help, one of the guys i missed in the hobby.
hope youve been well bro.

@toyman, sorry to take your thread a bit off topic here toyman, its been a long time away.
Glad to here your back in the game :)

Reaction score
Glad to here your back in the game :)
Now heres a man who's close to my heart, how have you been Daren? really nice touching base with you.
Ive got you to thank for many of my boots and knowledge, you were always so kind with your time, one of the really good guys.
I still cherish your figures bro, ive never parted with one. In fact ive just made a new display.
You still in the boot game?
How you been?

Last edited:
Reaction score
The price is cheap because a very large number of this particular figure and one other were found and dumped on the market approx 1.5 years ago.

Reaction score
Whats a fair price to pay for one? 30-40?
That's not a bad price for that one, there have been a lot of Polish AtSt Drivers on ebay/for sale as well. As a matter of fact there have been a ton of Russian Oritet (grey) AtAt Drivers on the market, you can get ones these days for around $150.... insane.

Reaction score
I see the polish fetts are very expensive. How are the mexican fetts? What's the price range to look for and where's a good place for research?

You've been a terrific help and thank yoy.
True Mexican 1980,s Bootleg Fetts Are very expensive and hard to find maybe starting price like 300+ id say.

Reaction score
True Mexican 1980,s Bootleg Fetts Are very expensive and hard to find maybe starting price like 300+ id say.
Yeah the really early ones are commanding big prices, all the really early ones are getting really hard to find, rare as hens teeth, like the biker scouts.
That's not a bad price for that one, there have been a lot of Polish AtSt Drivers on ebay/for sale as well. As a matter of fact there have been a ton of Russian Oritet (grey) AtAt Drivers on the market, you can get ones these days for around $150.... insane.
Whats with the pink oritet atat figures, slightly different mold, poor finish, are they just backyard jobs or legit?

Reaction score
80's Fetts are fetching close to $1000 these days, insane pricing. I sold one 2 years ago and got over $600 and a bagged one for over $1200.

Reaction score
Yeah the really early ones are commanding big prices, all the really early ones are getting really hard to find, rare as hens teeth, like the biker scouts.

Whats with the pink oritet atat figures, slightly different mold, poor finish, are they just backyard jobs or legit?
The pink atat driver is a fake, there are several out there.

Reaction score
80's Fetts are fetching close to $1000 these days, insane pricing. I sold one 2 years ago and got over $600 and a bagged one for over $1200.
Crazy prices! good for you mate.
A lot of those early ones come out of rubbish tips im sure you know Steve, still turning up to this day.

Reaction score
I'm going to read, read , read

So, I'm seeing what's fake. What I'd like to see are real samples. Some of these are really cool. 20 bucks for a lot of 3 is pretty cheap. Spending more is something I wouldn't do.

Last edited: