MEGO: How Many Black Hole Fans Are Present?

Reaction score
as per title and do you collect into black hole as well,what great collectables have you got,please post them here and also does anyone know a decent active black hole forum website??
ps moderators please do not delete!

michael_mensinger

Reaction score
Re: ot how many black hole fans have we got here?

I own four of my childhood 3 3/4" Mego figures, but that's the extent of my Black Hole collection. Although they aren't something I actively collect today, I do appreciate them and enjoy the loose examples I own.

Kevin Lentz maintains a nice section on the Black Hole Mego figures at his 3 3/4-Inch Archive website:

Black Hole

I'm not sure about forum sites though. Perhaps another collector can chime in with a suggestion on that.

-Mike

Reaction score

Kevin's site is great, I agree. Really nice guy, too. The Mego Museum forums are a great place to chat, and Black Hole stuff (mego made 'em) comes up once in a while. There's a wealth of information there:
www.megomuseum.com

Reaction score

I remember buying the toys as a kid around the same time as the star trek the motion picture figures were in the shop and they both had more articulation than the star wars toys , i think i only had the fat harry booth and maximillian though, havent seen the film in over 20 years now

Reaction score

I own some of the Mego figures, mostly the robot characters. I have owned three or four VINCENT's over the years. One I traded away as a kid and later replaced, and at least one was customized into an Old BOB. I have three Sentries, one of whom I customized into a STAR. I also have Harry Booth, the only human character figure in my collection.

I ordered the Harry Booth when I heard that the actor who played him, Ernest Borgnine, would be making an appearance on a local morning show. At the time, I was appearing in segments on the show, so I got to meet him during the broadcast. The Harry Booth figure I'd ordered had not arrived in time, so instead I got his autograph on my copy of the Black Hole novelization.

That was about five or six years ago, I guess. Since then, I've also purchased the Kubricks versions of Maximillian, Old BOB, and VINCENT... Max was a disappointment but BOB and VINCENT were really cool.

The main piece of Black Hole collectibilia that I once owned and would love to find again is an old punch-out-and-make-it activity book. I loved that thing as a kid, but the paper models got lost somewhere over the years. If anyone has it, or has scans made from it, I'd be very interested in seeing it again.

Alex

EDITED- dead link removed

Reaction score

Thanks for the kind comments above on my page. Black Hole isn't a half-bad movie. It feels more like a 50s Sci-Fi B-movie than a SW-successor, but I like it. I've got all the 3 3/4-inch figures loose (not boots for my Humanoid, sadly), a metal lunch box in my daily lunch rotation, and a UK quad poster framed in my living room. That's about it. I don't know of any really active BH boards, but here are a couple:

http://forums.cjb.net/actionfigures-forum-16.html
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/humanoid/messages

Reaction score

funny you mention this-i just found my old VINCENT last night.

Reaction score

cool to see quite a few enjoy the old black hole,believe it or not it was the only vhs vidoe we owned(i lived abroad and there was very little to entertain!)i must of watch that film well over a hundreds time,i adore the music too..
i`ll be looking into the links provided keep them pictured of collection coming and want to see what you got!

Reaction score

SCIFI_TOYS said:
CanadianCollector said:
cool stuff there is that a real humanoid???

It sure is
I've seen it first hand and it's something i'd like to have one day .

All I recall having is Vincent and those cereal box pencil tops, and a blackhole book w/record . I picked up the DvD off ebay last year when I checked out Mike's collection.

Reaction score

I have the easy to get figures such as Max and Vincent and some of the regular people. The "coolest " thing I have of Black Hole is a roll of wallpaper. It has the Cygnus and the Palomino ships on it. If anyone wanted a small section for a backdrop on their shelf I could cut some small sections out.

Reaction score

my god even wallpaper i didn`t know that,sound like a good idea for loose collectors.

Reaction score

New_Bornalex said:
I own some of the Mego figures, mostly the robot characters. I have owned three or four VINCENT's over the years. One I traded away as a kid and later replaced, and at least one was customized into an Old BOB. I have three Sentries, one of whom I customized into a STAR. I also have Harry Booth, the only human character figure in my collection.

I ordered the Harry Booth when I heard that the actor who played him, Ernest Borgnine, would be making an appearance on a local morning show. At the time, I was appearing in segments on the show, so I got to meet him during the broadcast. The Harry Booth figure I'd ordered had not arrived in time, so instead I got his autograph on my copy of the Black Hole novelization.

That was about five or six years ago, I guess. Since then, I've also purchased the Kubricks versions of Maximillian, Old BOB, and VINCENT... Max was a disappointment but BOB and VINCENT were really cool.

The main piece of Black Hole collectibilia that I once owned and would love to find again (as mentioned in this Disneyana thread at <a href="http://www.swstartours.net" target="_blank">www.swstartours.net</a> is an old punch-out-and-make-it activity book. I loved that thing as a kid, but the paper models got lost somewhere over the years. If anyone has it, or has scans made from it, I'd be very interested in seeing it again.

Alex
Alex,
Man you brought back some memories for me. I had that punch out book as well when I was a kid. Honestly, it wasn't until I saw your reply that I remembered that I had it. Of course, just like you, I lost all of the pieces when I was kid. I recall using several models to recreate their destruction as they went into the Black Hole, which is probably why they did not last too long.
Rick

Reaction score

I really enjoyed Black Hole and some of the other sci-fi "wannabes" (Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, etc.) that we all used to help quell our thirst until the next Star Wars movie. I also found myself getting some of the toys as well and I love seeing these old toys. Years ago I sold off my non-Star Wars items to help further my Star Wars collection but maybe one day I'll recapture those pieces of my youth.

Reaction score

here`s a link to what i have all in pretty good condition,and my 2 most unusual and rare items the gig walking vincent boxed!! and the more scarce walkie talkies unused mint in box decal sheet unused as you can see from the pictures of the back the photograph of the prototype palomino etc...
http://photobucket.com/albums/f267/scifi-toys/

also these 2 gig items where only availble in italy and stopped in the production run.what a shame they didn`t produce the palomino and the bridge of the cygnus

Reaction score

I'm a fan!!! I love the movie (I actually think it's quite good).

I've got most of the figures, carded (except humanoid) and loose. I have the magnetic figures, both wind-up walky vincents, and the Laserscope Starfighter.

I wish I had more. I offered John Bonavita $5k for the magnetic Bob last year, but he'd just agreed the sale for the same amount about two days earlier. (Lucky, really, it was 5k I couldn't afford!

Reaction score

Jasper said:
I'm a fan!!! I love the movie (I actually think it's quite good).

I've got most of the figures, carded (except humanoid) and loose. I have the magnetic figures, both wind-up walky vincents, and the Laserscope Starfighter.

I wish I had more. I offered John Bonavita $5k for the magnetic Bob last year, but he'd just agreed the sale for the same amount about two days earlier. (Lucky, really, it was 5k I couldn't afford!
my oh my are you serious a magnetic bob??i never heard of it!can you give a little more info on such a piece?

Reaction score

I dig the Black Hole movie a lot. I only have a handful of figures, and would prefer to keep my collection to just the robots. I also have a few of the Canadian pencil toppers Mike shows above and a nice hardcover story book.

Reaction score

Funny story. I was bugging my father forever to see SW, so my father took me and my cousin to see Star Wars back when it first came out one weekend. Well, we got to the theatere and there was a line around the block, so my old man being the most impatinet man on the earth said "no way, I'm not standing in line for an hour" so, he turned the car around, naturally I was disappointed, threw a temper tantrum and I cried my eyes out, so he finally said, alright, how about we go see Black Hole instead. So, we went to the little discount theatere and saw Black Hole. Still bugged my father enough that we went and saw Star Wars the very next weekend.

I actually traded a guy a few Black hole figs for some SW figs about 3-4 years ago.

Reaction score

bobafett14 said:
Funny story. I was bugging my father forever to see SW, so my father took me and my cousin to see Star Wars back when it first came out one weekend. Well, we got to the theatere and there was a line around the block, so my old man being the most impatinet man on the earth said "no way, I'm not standing in line for an hour" so, he turned the car around, naturally I was disappointed, threw a temper tantrum and I cried my eyes out, so he finally said, alright, how about we go see Black Hole instead. So, we went to the little discount theatere and saw Black Hole. Still bugged my father enough that we went and saw Star Wars the very next weekend.

I actually traded a guy a few Black hole figs for some SW figs about 3-4 years ago.
It's funny how the memory plays with your mind, isn't it.

Star Wars 1977, The black Hole 1979

Reaction score

I remember seeing that movie in the theater as a 4-year old. The only reason I remember it is because of the hugh ball of rock rolling down the platform as the people crossed the walkway in front of it - scared the b-HeyZeus out of me!

On the collecting end, I think some of the figures are pretty cool, but I've never owned any.

Reaction score

Now you have me wondering. Maybe it was a re-release? Boy, now I want to go and call the old man. Unless it was something else I saw, but still to this day swear it was the black hole.

Edit: now, I'm wondering if it wasn't maybe the second time in seeing it or something, if I recall it was in the theatere for a long time. Not sure, because I distinctly remember the line being the reason we turned around and didn't go see it (old man still hasn't changed one bit)

and very true, because I swear to god I remember that like it happened yesterday.

Reaction score

The Blackhole movie embodies the era that I first viewed Star Wars ANH in, as a child. The look of it is fantastic - the Cygnus ship was amazing - I used to run around nearby greenhouses pretending I was in the botanical section of the Cygnus.

The Blackhole was fantastic visually, despite Special effects shortcomings, etc... Like SW, this movie had big sets, and created a believable sense of physical space that was so pertinent to me suspending my disbelief, as a child, and sparking my imagination.

I also remember a comic adaptation of a supposive sequel, called Through the Black Hole, or Beyond the Black Hole (?), in which the crew of the paloma survived and travelled through the black hole into a parallel universe - not sure if a movie was ever made, but I would love to see it, if it were!

Reaction score

I was a huge black hole fan when the movie came out. I saw it in the theatre and I still have the soundtrack and a storybook version on vinyl, plus the viewmaster reels, and the vincent action figure. don't know why I never got more of the toys though, since I was big into collecting star wars. i'd love to have them now, especially a humanoid figure. i saw an auction on eBay about 5 years ago for a carded one that went for $6,000. insane...

Reaction score

A few years ago, I bought a loose star wars lot on ebay.

All of the toys were not Star Wars.
I recently sold the "red robot" action figure, from the Black Hole (not Max), a few weeks ago for $10

I'm an even bigger fan of "Battlestar Galactica". I sold a broken ship for $20 just because I had the little pilot guy... those toys are tiny. Must be a big demand...ICUDK don't overlook them if you find them.

Straight up. Slim Pickens kicked it again, between he and that meteor rolling through the boat. The "Black Hole" is 2nd place to "Superman" as the best in between movies.

Reaction score

Count me in. I saw the original as a kid, although it was creepy at the end with hell, and I didn't get it (I still don't). The movie doesn't quite hold up well, as I bought the DVD and realized it was REALLY SLOW in some parts. Even so, it is a nice diversion and the robots are cool. The music is pretty good and the meteor thing is awesome.

I picked up a Maximillian and Vincent figure a few years back for a song, and I found one of the humans at a thrift store (not Robert Forester or Ernest Borgnine, the guy that looked like Roger Staubach). Now, if I could only find Old BOB.

Vic

Reaction score

I haven't been able to find a loose VINCENT or Maximillian around here in years.

D. Martin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I have all the 3 3/4" figures, a few 12" figures and some cool odds and ends like the Colorforms set and the French comic book drawn by Jack Kirby (!)

I freakin' love that movie.

Reaction score

Dave Myatt said:
I have all the 3 3/4" figures, a few 12" figures and some cool odds and ends like the Colorforms set and the French comic book drawn by Jack Kirby (!)

I freakin' love that movie.
Dave, can you send me a scan of the cover of the Kirby book? I've been looking for this on eBay.fr for ages, and suddenly realsied that I wouldn't know it if I saw it!

I've also missed out on a load of auctions for the strips (of which this book is a compilation, of course) coz they're too darned expensive.

Jasp

Reaction score

I only had the Maximilian and V.I.N.Cent figures.

Does anyone from the UK remember something Black Hole related that came free with a cereal (I think it was Shreddies). It was a piece of transparent plastic, with one of the characters on it which you could colour in, and when you got a responsible adult to put it in the oven it would shrink into a smaller, thicker piece, but still with the character and colours on it.

I think it was something like making a keyring, but I have a very vivid memory of being at my Grans and waiting patiently for her to "cook" it for me.

Reaction score

I got Old Bob

I'd kill for a Humanoid with the cloak.

Reaction score

Killer_Klown said:
I only had the Maximilian and V.I.N.Cent figures.

Does anyone from the UK remember something Black Hole related that came free with a cereal (I think it was Shreddies). It was a piece of transparent plastic, with one of the characters on it which you could colour in, and when you got a responsible adult to put it in the oven it would shrink into a smaller, thicker piece, but still with the character and colours on it.

I think it was something like making a keyring, but I have a very vivid memory of being at my Grans and waiting patiently for her to "cook" it for me.
Black Hole Shrinky-Dinks! Never heard of them - but now that I have, I want one so badly! I do remember an offer - collect five lolly wrappers, and send away for a free figure. I painstakingly collected, got my postal order for p&p, allowed my 28 days for delivery, only to get it all back in the post because the company had gone bust. Bah!

Endorian - I hope you know that that is the Kubrick Old Bob, not the Mego one

Jasper

Reaction score

I just have VINCENT & MAXIMILLION. Would love a BOB but no way am I going to pay that much for one. It's be cool for some new toys to be made of at least the robots.

Reaction score

There have. Kubricks did some in the last couple of years. Max was off scale from a 4" size, but Old BOB and VINCENT look good.

Alex