Mego 3 3/4'' Star Trek TMP aliens card backs

Reaction score
Hello,

I started collecting the action figures from TMP yesterday! Looked at all the bumf on line but it is either incomplete or inaccurate.

I bought a graded US card back for the 2nd series of the action figures reported to have only been released in Italy and Canada with only certain aliens available via J C Penney mail in packs for US release. Apparently the Italian and Canadian Mego distributors had pre-ordered on the line hoping it would be a big success while Mego had dropped the 2nd wave of figures for its own US distribution after not reaching expected sales. Ceppi Ratti and Grand Toys added their own logos to the Mego logo on the foreign language variations.

While I was looking at auctions I also noted the UK Airfix logo on cards with a different distributor other than Mego, NY. It had the Lion Rock, HK distributor and 'Raumschiff Enterprise'' under the Star Trek logo. Again no images/references on official sites for these but looking at what was there: UK company with declining market in model kits expands in 1979 to release Mego micronauts to compete in modern action figure market. They also embraced other toy lines to expand their portfolio. 1979 is pre Thatcher policies that create the yuppie period and any imports outside EEC are heavily taxed although UK did import predominantly from Commonwealth and colonies which includes HK. I am guessing that Airfix bought direct from HK with their own branded logo on the cards and adding the German title for expanded market distribution.

Who else has seen US Mego cards for a series of figures that is officially reported as not being released? Any help with finding more of the Airfix carded figures is appreciated.

Reaction score
Good news,
after a day of asking around the Mego Master himself Mark Huckabone confirmed that Mego did in fact distribute the cards in the US. So I can say that there are indeed UK, US, Italian and Canadian cards available. I just need to find an example of an Airfix card from the alien figure line....

Can anyone from UK or Germany ask around to see if there are still carded examples in collections. Thanks for any help in advance.

Reaction score
Interestingly,
another UK toy company called Pedigree distributed the 3 3/4'' line here and applied their stickered logo to the US Mego packaging including the model ships on stands.
As far as I know Palitoy only distributed the earlier and larger Mego 8'' line and again bought direct from HK. This allowed them to have their own packaging but limited them to what they released. That is seen in the playsets as they released an altered transporter from the bridge set. These can be seen with the Bradgate/Palitoy logo. Something called Star Wars came around and as part of the GMFG they did not produce the Mego Star Trek TMP figures as they already had a winner in the 3 3/4'' scale.

Anyone with good examples of the Pedigree labelled toys. Once I get examples I can help update the info with MegoMuseum.