Meet-Ups

Reaction score
Hey y'all, here's a place where you can plan get-togethers with each other outside the convention!

Reaction score
I think this is the place where we decide on that kind of thing. I will be at C4 from May 23rd - May 29th. I'm staying at the New Otani but am volunteering at least 4 shifts. I'd like to meet up with other volunteers for breakfast or something. That'd be nice:) Or afterwards to share stories:)

Reaction score
Ok, OPX volunteers. This is what I found out so far. We can reserve a banquet room right down from the convention center at the beautiful Holiday Inn. I checked about a gathering from 7pm till 10pm on Weds the night before the event. The room holds a maximum of only 80 and thats the MAX. We can schedule a meet and greet there which is close and clean for us to mingle. It will cost us $15 a person without food and $30 if we want food. However it has to be either/or but cant be both. You will have to purchase any beverages at the bar probily. I can head this up for everyone. I would like everyones feedback first. I can set up to accept paypal for this and book the room, but only if there is 80 people interested. At these prices, we can gather up some cool door prizes, or maybe grab bags, however there isnt alot of pay room with that budget.
I was also thinking that since we are having an OPX volunteer gathering, maybe I can contact a few signers to appear and mingle with us...BUT THEY WONT BE ABLE TO SIGN ANYTHING!!! this is just to mingle and meet.
Im open for ideas and suggestions here, but I want to do this in style without breaking our wallets.

Reaction score
That sounds like an interesting prospect to me. As long as I'm not watching the 6 movie marathon that evening. Also, as long as I'm not pooped from the flight.

Reaction score
Attention Anne:
Providing we get enough people interested in this, and we have our un-official C4 Official Pix Volunteer gathering. Can you check to see if I submit all art work to you ahead of time for approval if I can get permission to use the Official Pix logo to make up tee-shirts for those who attend? We can use these shirts as door prizes or prizes to games we can have...whatever. I just want to really make this a great event to attend for anyone involved with the C4 OPX meet and greet. Thanks alot.

Reaction score
Unfortunately I am out for the Wed. night thing as my flight doesn't get in until 10:30 or so that night. but I am definately up for meeting for breakfast somewhere Thursday morning

Reaction score
Y'all, you're welcome to form any gathering but it will not be an "official" Official Pix event nor will it be endorsed or sponsored by OPX and above all nobody should be contacting the signing guests to attend any said event. This is for fun only. Please adhere to these guidelines.

Reaction score
That Wednesday evening sounds fun..you said 80 was the max is there a minimum? Hmmm... I do want to see at least one of the movies though... What about something Monday evening? I know it wouldn't be a meet and greet anymore but it would be fun to share all the cool times we had... I think a thursday morning breakfast would be good too. I just don't know anything about the area at all

Reaction score
Yeah I wonder how many of us will stick around afterwards on Monday? That sounds like it could work too. We'd have plenty of stories by then! Breakfast is a good idea too since we'd eat and then head on over to volunteer or to go to the show even. I'd be up for meeting everyone though. It sounds like fun!

Reaction score
Thats perfectly clear Anne. I completely understand your guidelines. We wouldnt know unless we ask. And I would rather ask then just assume anything.
As far as the question about minimums and maximums...there is not a minimum, but if only 2 people attend then we have to charge $900 a ticket...LOL Its the same room rate if we have 2 or 80 people.
If there is gonna be alot of people wanting to hang out on Monday evening as a wrap up party, then thats a potential as well. I just figured that most of us are gonna be in town on Weds. night and be really wound up with all of the excitement so thats why I suggested Weds. But like I said in pevious post. We have to all (at least 80 of us)be wanting to do this. Mornings are also a consideration, but I know myself and most others will be busy planning the day out and getting to our lines that we want to be in early.

Reaction score
Anne, you said to make sure your invited to what ever we put together. What day would be good for you to possibly stop by if we do this? I understand you probily cant commit to anything 100% for sure as far as a party, but I want to at least try to have it when you have a chance to drop by for a spell.

Reaction score
I have to assume that I will have zero extra time, but whatever you plan I will try to attend. My favorite beer is Smithwick's. :)

Reaction score
I will be at the movie marathon on Wednesday! I will keep watching this thread for other meet-up opportunities!!

Reaction score
wvstarwarsfan said:
Ok, OPX volunteers. This is what I found out so far. We can reserve a banquet room right down from the convention center at the beautiful Holiday Inn. I checked about a gathering from 7pm till 10pm on Weds the night before the event. The room holds a maximum of only 80 and thats the MAX. We can schedule a meet and greet there which is close and clean for us to mingle. It will cost us $15 a person without food and $30 if we want food. However it has to be either/or but cant be both. You will have to purchase any beverages at the bar probily. I can head this up for everyone. I would like everyones feedback first. I can set up to accept paypal for this and book the room, but only if there is 80 people interested. At these prices, we can gather up some cool door prizes, or maybe grab bags, however there isnt alot of pay room with that budget.
I was also thinking that since we are having an OPX volunteer gathering, maybe I can contact a few signers to appear and mingle with us...BUT THEY WONT BE ABLE TO SIGN ANYTHING!!! this is just to mingle and meet.
Im open for ideas and suggestions here, but I want to do this in style without breaking our wallets.
I would do 30 or 15 if we had some celeberty Guest this would almost be like the 501st party at C3, btw anyone know if the 501st is doing that again? That Was fun and well worth the 30.00 it costed to go. had to pay for your own drinks from the bar, but able to meet alot of new faces and talk with the Celeberties from Star Wars was really sweet.

even if we all just go and eat dinner someplace and have a few drinks would be cool as well. just please do not do it on Thursday night I have plans to go to a Meet and greet and would hate to miss out on meeting all of you.

Reaction score
thats not a problem psxjedi76 to NOT meet Thurs night. I will personally be in Celebration mode and being stretched thin on time. There is just too many things going on during the actual celebration days to host an event or gathering.
As Anne requested in previous post, there will NOT BE ANY CELEBRITIES CONTACTED to attend on my behalf if I assemble a meet and greet for us. If a celebrity hears about it through what ever avenues and wishes to attend, I wont turn away, but I personally in any way WILL NOT contact them and ask them to attend. And I dont suggest you do either. Anne is a great person to work with/around...but I have my vibes NOT to cross her...LOL
So if anyone else has any more ideas about a meet and greet...shout it out to me. I need to hear from everyone what they want to do. Lets make this a week/weekend to remember.

Reaction score
If anyone else wants to help head this up or do something else, let me know that too. I just stepped up because I think it will be fun. However if someone else wants to toss a meet-up together I will help out however I can.
If this materializes, I am personally willing to toss into the door prize hat an official C2 Ventures autographed Carrie Fisher 8x10 from Celebration2. If anyone else has ideas about a cool door prize they would like to bring and contribute, give me a shout.

Reaction score
I still think Wednesday night or a morning before (since don't the volunteers get in earlier anyway?) the show might work out best. I don't need anything fancy! I just would like to meet the people that I'll be working with. I think it'd be fun. Maybe you all aren't morning people though;) I'm going to the movie marathon too but not all of them. Aren't we going there to meet each other from OPX though and not really the celebrities? I know, I know...Anne said no celebrities anyway but I would like to meet my fellow OPXers.

Reaction score
the only problems I can see -

1) Conflicting with 'official' events - heck, we're even waiting on scheduling shifts because we don't know what events are planned.

2) Many of us, myself included, won't be arriving in LA until Thursday (and I leave RIGHT after close on Monday - work obligations and all).

3) we're all already stretched for time and cash....

Reaction score
I can't really commit right now due to the 501st dinner, MR party, POTC premiere, official events, etc. Breakfast would seem to be the best time for me and my husband but again, 501st pictures, Rebel Legion pictures - ugh! Scheduling overload.

I am definitely up for trading photos on Monday though!

Reaction score
We can put this on the back burner till we all get a bit more info involving other events, fan club breakfast, official happenings, 501 party, etc.
And try this again a few weks before the event when hopefully we all have a better idea about what free time we MIGHT have.

Reaction score
It doesn't have to be anything fancy you know.. just breakfast somewhere before the first shift starts.. so we could just find a place that's close and have some chow and then off to work
we could call it our breakfast place or something. I don't know the area but i'm sure there's gotta be someplace close that doesn't cost an arm and a leg..

Reaction score
Yeah I agree because I'm already spending a ton of money so if it's something cheap like breakfast nearby at someplace cheap with a few of us, that would be fine with me too. I'm sure there's a ton of stuff going on in the evenings but maybe the mornings are better for us then?

Reaction score
I agree to say that we all should meet before the convention. What about that Banquet Room? Any chance to reserve it. If so, maybe should we vote for a convenient meeting time and date. What say you?

Reaction score
Well, we seem to have some scheduling and lack of scheduling conflicts. So here's my idea....Anne you'll have to comment.

Anne, would it be possible for you to have the Volunteers (all of us), let into the Convention Center about an hour prior to the convention opening on Thursday morning. We could also have McDonalds, Duncan Donuts or some other local fast food place deliver breakfast for us (should not be too hard with a large order). We'll have a cheap bite to eat and a large covered place to meet an greet one another, share stories, whatever. This would also solve the issue of having to wait outside in a line or lose your place in line. We could set it up as a "learning our jobs" seminar of sorts, however we would just have more fun doing it. Then when the open/start time nears, those who are working can work and those who are not can start their adventure at Celebration 4.

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
It's too early to know if we can do that. I know you're all wanting OPX to set something up official, but we just can't do that at the moment.

Reaction score
I'd be willing to do this. It sounds like a lot of fun.

Reaction score
Just my 2-cents...

Reserving a hall/room would be very nice. But, it seems too much of a commitment to specify one day in a time of numerous different schedules. It may not fit everyones schedule who would love to stop by and say "hello".

I do like the idea of finding a designated restuarant/eating place that we can call our ~Volunteer Meeting Place~. That way we can stop in at any point during the day (before/after shifts) during the entire SWCIV event.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Reaction score
*Volunteer Meeting Place* sounds great!.....now.. who knows a place that's close enough and reasonably priced? Why don't we start throwing out suggestions and make some sort of list and decide from there? And once other things are scheduled (501st things, breakfasts or dinners, etc.) we can keep looking into that fancy fun thing if you want to.
For now lets try to find a nice *volunteer meeting place* Does that sound ok for everyone?

Reaction score
This sounds like fun. It does not have to be official. When things become official, it gets ruined, corporate, and not as fun. Anne wouldn't be able to get drunk with us.

As Luke said in Revenge of the Jedi, "I'm with you too!"

Heck, I'll even provide the entertainment. I'll perform Vogue, Holiday, and Music. Heh heh.

Reaction score
Could we just skip you "entertaining" us. I think we can provide our own entertainment.

Reaction score
OK y'all, stick to the topic of Celebration please. Thanks.

Reaction score
Here is a ~Restaurant Review~ site for places we can "Meet & Eat" in downtown LA. There are a more than a few surrounding the LA Convention Centre, so....review, then post which one/s seem good for you. We can try and use the ~ majority rules ~ method.

http://www.menupix.com/losangeles/index_pad-results.php?n_id=237&ntext=Downtown&method=%25&cuisine=%25

My vote: The Corner Bakery Cafe
http://www.cornerbakery.com/

801 S. Figueroa St (about 1 block down from the LACC). It seems to have a pretty good menu for breakfast/lunch and is affordable - which means we'll have lots more $$$ for SW's!!

(They are open M-F 6:30am to 4:00pm and are NOT open on Sat./Sun., but I think all of us will be in LA before the weekend??).

Reaction score
<font color="purple">
I think I'll pick Denny's

open all the time and a teeny bit closer. i'm sure they've got room for a nice sized group.
</font>

Reaction score
The Cornor Bakery Cafe sounds really good and you can never go wrong with a Denny's. both are inexpensive and close to the convention center.
I'll place my vote with the Cornor Bakery Cafe.

Reaction score
Dennys would work for me..I love the idea with all of us sitting there watching Jedi Justin buttering his toast in the morning with his force action lightsaber...LOL
Oh them poor servers!