McFarlane DC Super Powers reboot

Reaction score
Anyone else picked some of these up yet? The line's not perfect, but its got promise. I've always been a fan of this scale, and of course the Kenner Super Powers were an incredible DC line. And there is some charm here. Capes are after market...

image-7.jpg

image-8.jpg

image-9.jpg

image-10.jpg

image-11.jpg

The capes included are pretty crappy. Lousy material, they don't hang or drape, very stiff. And they have those plastic retention punches going RIGHT through them, leaving a hole in the material. And the collars are a stringy, sloppy mess. I melted down the loose ends a bit with a lighter.

image-12.jpgimage-13.jpgimage-14.jpg

There's also two vehicles, a Batwing, which looks pretty awesome from what I've seen, but I have yet to find one in store. And a Super Mobile, which is based on the vintage Corgi Die Cast Super mobile, complete with punching fists. At first I thought that was a pretty great idea, but its poorly executed. The fists have a weird curve to them albeit the punching action feature works great, and the S logo on the front (which opens the canopy if you press it, very slick) is kind of big and gawdy looking, makes it look like a young kids toy, like those toddler lines. But the big disappointment for me was it advertises having two 'jail cells' on either side in the rear, and neither one is big enough to fit a figure.

There's a second wave allegedly coming, John Stewart Green Lantern, Rebirth Flash, and the Batman who laughs last.

Picked up John Stewart and the Batwing. Both my local walmarts had center aisle merchandisers. Can't recommend this line enough if you're a fan of the original DC Super Powers. The Batwing in particular is super awesome. Even has one of those... things! For stealing balloons.image-7.jpg

image-8.jpg

image-9.jpgimage-10.jpg

image-11.jpgimage-12.jpg

image-13.jpgimage-15.jpg

image-16.jpg

The batwing looks pretty neat and may get if I ever see it. Other than that I've no interest in the figures themselves, just not into the style or scale.

The batwing looks pretty neat and may get if I ever see it. Other than that I've no interest in the figures themselves, just not into the style or scale.
Price on the batwing is $29.99 which feels appropriate for where we are on prices for everything everywhere, but still kind of stung a little.
If they made nothing else in the line the Batwing is pretty friggen awesome. I'm considering getting another to paint black for my 89 Batman (even thought Toy Biz DID make one.)

There's one thing I never understood about flying vehicles for Superman... Just never made sense to me, now for Wonder Woman I'd like to see an invisible jet!

Well, on the Animated Series he needed a Space Suit occassionally, so maybe the vehicle is meant for deep space travel.

Anyway, really pleasantly surprised by the "mini-rig-ish" Batwing, that clearly takes a lot of design cues from Anton Furst's 1989 Batwing. It won't be long until someone customizes and repaints it black.

Don't care for the figures, as they are ridden with more McFarlane artistic licence, where they should have just been slightly more detailed, naturalistic sculpts of the Kenner figures. Why companies feel the need to put their spin on items that are based on a source material makes no sense to me.

Well, on the Animated Series he needed a Space Suit occassionally, so maybe the vehicle is meant for deep space travel.

Anyway, really pleasantly surprised by the "mini-rig-ish" Batwing, that clearly takes a lot of design cues from Anton Furst's 1989 Batwing. It won't be long until someone customizes and repaints it black.

Don't care for the figures, as they are ridden with more McFarlane artistic licence, where they should have just been slightly more detailed, naturalistic sculpts of the Kenner figures. Why companies feel the need to put their spin on items that are based on a source material makes no sense to me.
Someone did paint one black on Instagram. It looks pretty good, especially with an Kenner Keaton Batman in it.

There's one thing I never understood about flying vehicles for Superman... Just never made sense to me, now for Wonder Woman I'd like to see an invisible jet!
I can't find the picture of the slide now, it was just a mockup outline anyway, but Wonder Woman's invisible jet (and a Batmobile) are coming in the Spring (Wonder Woman too).

Recently started getting some of these relatively new Super Powers figures. Nice line. So far, I've got the Darkseid & Flash. Several comments:

-I completely missed the original '80's SP line, but always wanted to collect them. So, it's nice to be getting figures that are semi-reproductions of the originals, but without having to pay and arm & a leg for the Vintage versions.

-When I first looked at these new figures, I thought they were significantly larger than the original Super Powers versions (never having had any of the originals). However, in doing some research it appears the newer figures - while being somewhat taller/bigger than the originals - aren't incredibly bigger.

-I don't really miss the "action feature" (from the original toys) too much. Since I will probably be keeping these carded (the packaging is great!) I don't mind this. Plus, I completely understand that the functionality of the action feature will probably degrade over time; so, not sure how necessary that is. IMHO, the most important element to these re-releases is that should resemble the originals as much as possible - which they do....for the most part (see below).

- Though I'm usually a stickler/purist when it comes to re-released toys like this....I actually don't mind that the new SP Darkseid has a newer design/outfit & looks different than the '80's version.

-I would definitely be interested in this line being expanded. If it is, hopefully they'll stick with initially re-making all of the original figures. Many of these were very HTF, especially the later figures (Cyborg; Samurai; etc.). I'd also definitely want the Clark Kent figure re-released; IIRC, this was a mail-in figure only, so was obviously not easy to track down. I'd rather see these than additional characters - at least not until the originals are all re-made.

That being said, I completely understand that if even a portion of the original figures are re-made, we will be lucky.

Last edited:
picked up the Batwing today on clearance for $9.99 was hoping that the Supermobile was on sale as well but that was still full price at $29.99. the pegs of figures were all Green Lantern. The Batwing works well with the Spinmaster 4" line as well. Going to repaint the Batwing Black to make it look more like the '89 movie version.

picked up the Batwing today on clearance for $9.99 was hoping that the Supermobile was on sale as well but that was still full price at $29.99. the pegs of figures were all Green Lantern. The Batwing works well with the Spinmaster 4" line as well. Going to repaint the Batwing Black to make it look more like the '89 movie version.
Was it in the clearance aisle? Or did you happen to scan it and came up that price?

Nice! But I found them for even cheaper! One of my local Wal-marts had them for $4 each! They went quick at that price.
Gadzooks!
I'd been monitoring the clearance aisle waiting from the MOTU Origins Roton to go down and spotted these. They'd only been on clearance for a few weeks at $15, but there was a tremendous pile of them so I assume they wanted to blast them out. There were only three Supermobiles left and a still impressive, albeit very dwindled amount of Batwings.

I think those Bat Wings were still 24$ at my Walmart clearance aisle. Along with this year's Star Wars and Harry Potter Lego advent calendars at the low price of $44.97, which is the regular price!!!!!

I am waiting for the John Stewart wave to go on clearance to grab that, Nightwing and Deathstroke.

IKR! I saw both that and the Brainiac ship and got immediately excited. Then I saw it was a preorder and lost a bit of steam, but I look forward to possibly getting one or both. Brainiac's ship looks cool while Ted's ship tugs on nostalgia and is a neat design.

Really looking forward to some of the new Super Powers offerings, including: Blue Beetle; Sinestro; Braniac; Braniac's Skull Ship & Blue Bettle's Bug Ship vehicle(s), etc. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I actually prefer these to the original '80's versions (which I never had).

Glad they're branching out & making never-before-made characters, but I also hope that they eventually re-make all of the original characters.

Spotted the new Blue Beetle's the Bug ship at Gamestop yesterday. You can see in the box pictures a new Booster Gold figure, so he must be coming shortly as well.

Found (and bought) Blue Beetle, Kilwog and Brainiac at a local WalMart tonight. They had the one Kilwog, two Brainiacs, two Blue Beetles, and 80,000 of the gray Batman repaint (I believe he's suppose to be Manga style or something like that). I don't know why every DC line feels the need to devolve into just infinite Batman variants, I hope that doesn't happen here. But to date about 25% of the figures released have been Batmen.
I did also run into a Yellow Lantern Sinestro at Gamestop, but his belt buckle was painted off center and looked splotchy so I passed for now.

Recently got the SP Hal Jordan Green Lantern & Sinestro. Both are excellent figures. The HJ Green Lantern was released in the original line, and Sinestro is an all-new release.

Also got the SP Batman who Laughs on clearance @ Wal-mart. OK figure, but I only got this due to it being on sale.

For reference, here's a list w/pics. of the original 1980's SP figures. I never collected these, but have vague memories of seeing the first two waves in stores. I don't ever remember seeing Wave 3 in stores; I suspect these got a more limited release.

Last edited:
I found a fresh case at Walmart today. It had 1x of Kilowog, Brainiac, and Blue Beetle, and 3x Manga Batman.

I then went to GameStop and found Gold Superman and Yellow Lantern Sinestro.

Wave complete without much effort.

Recently got the SP Hal Jordan Green Lantern & Sinestro. Both are excellent figures. The HJ Green Lantern was released in the original line, and Sinestro is an all-new release.

Also got the SP Batman who Laughs on clearance @ Wal-mart. OK figure, but I only got this due to it being on sale.

For reference, here's a list w/pics. of the original 1980's SP figures. I never collected these, but have vague memories of seeing the first two waves in stores. I don't ever remember seeing Wave 3 in stores; I suspect these got a more limited release.

Odd that they are missing figures on that stie. Especially Batman. Scratch that on the phone you need to scroll. Lol.
I loved that line. I didn’t actively collect it but somehow had a bunch of them.

Last edited:
Recently picked up these great SP figures/vehicle:

Brainiac - excellent figure

Blue Beetle & Bug vehicle - fantastic figure, and the Bug goes together with the BB figure like hand in glove

That Brainiac (1) looks cool. I'll have to get him.
Brainiac 5 would be good also. Though related LOSH characters and Villains would take a while to run out of. It would almost be like a Star Wars line. We can't have that it makes too much sense.

I don't collect this line, but I really can't deny something and came here to say it. Man...the vehicles for this line are awesome. I wish, so badly, we had them when I was a kid buying this line. So bad. Brainiac Skull Ship, the Bug, the Invisible Jet, Batwing. I think my only issue with this line and really what's keeping me from getting some, is that I wish they'd stuck truer to the theme. Yeah, I get it's a "What If" retro style line, fairly common today, but I wish they stuck to only 80's and under designs, akin to the Hasbro Marvel retro line. No roles/costumes above a certain date. But they do still do a decent chunk of classic styled figures that never got made in the original line...and they are very tempting for me.

Hello, all. I have been admiring this line but not collecting. I did buy Deathstroke on clearance but I wish his orange color was a bit toned down.
Anyway, has McFarlane revealed what is in the works past figure 33, Sinestro?

Noticed Brainiac looks a lot different than the original Superpowers version with a chrome suit. Does he appear without a suit like the new one in the 80's cartoon series?
I found one on a decent card and just had to have it. What a weird Skull Ship he has, I'm tempted.

Back