Mattel's Battlestar Galactica 3.75 line

Reaction score
This was one of my first line of figures that I got (next to the Star Wars line of course).

As a kid I got Lt. Starbuck, Commander Adama, Cylon Centurian, Daggit and Imperious Leader. For some reason I never got Ovion until a few years ago on ebay.

Anyone ever get the second wave (Baltar, Boray, Cylon Commander and Lucifier)?

Again, both 3 3/4 in archive and Cool Toy Review have great articles about them so check them out.

Reaction score
I have a complete collection, including the Muffet variant.

I paid $3 for Lucifer at a flea market years ago.

Reaction score
Had all the first wave as a kid, but back then I never saw the second wave in any stores. These days, I only have Muffit in both colour variations. Classic Galactica is still my all time favourite TV show.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have the light Muffit, I think. Would still love to get a modern line, surely some one could tackle it.

Reaction score
I have the light Muffit, I think. Would still love to get a modern line, surely some one could tackle it.
I would also be all over a modern line of Classic BG figures like white on rice; IMHO NECA would do a great job with this license. Would especially like to see The Ovion, Boray, Imperious Leader, Daggit/Muffet, & a three-pack of those singing female aliens w/three eyes (never made in the original Mattel line). Though I feel the Mattell '70's/early '80's sculpts are sub-par, I'm sure these would all look great w/modern sculpts. (I had some of the original Mattell figures, but have no idea where they are now.)

There were actually several companies that made Classic BG figures from the '90's on, notably Trendmasters (late '90's) and Joyride (around 2005). I have the Tredmasters Cylcon - great figure, but they never got wide distribution. And, I don't remember seeing the Joyride figures in stores at all. Also, they didn't make that many figures & only the major characters (no obscure aliens) - and, the figures were more like statues than action figures. Here's a link with more info:

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Action_figures

Last edited:
Reaction score
Another great toy line... loved watching the show unfold on TV and collecting the trading cards... I was living in Denver, Co... when this show originally aired as a kid... outside of the figures... I really liked the vehicles!

Reaction score
Another great toy line... loved watching the show unfold on TV and collecting the trading cards... I was living in Denver, Co... when this show originally aired as a kid... outside of the figures... I really liked the vehicles!

Just WOW sir

Reaction score

This is my collection of just toys so far everything MOC unpunched and Factory sealed

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awesome collections, guys. I had Lt. Starbuck, Commander Adama, and Cylon Centurian.... But my favorite toy from the Mattel Series was this bad boy:

Reaction score
I saw a carded Lucifer & Boray at a toy show over the weekend which looked to be in mint condition. Pretty impressive!

Reaction score
I believe I saw a youtube video with Richard Hatch from not to long ago and somebody asked him why no Apollo figure from the Mattel line ? and he said he didn't want to sign away for likeness to be used as toy back in 1978 I think he regrets it now

Reaction score
Same for Boomer...
believe I saw a youtube video with Richard Hatch from not to long ago and somebody asked him why no Apollo figure from the Mattel line ? and he said he didn't want to sign away for likeness to be used as toy back in 1978 I think he regrets it now

Reaction score
I too think Neca would knock these out of the park and have potential best sellers, but...... Neca seems to be petrified of releasing Human characters in its 7" scale, witnessed by the fact that we're probably never going to see Chuck Heston in their spectacular Apes line....

Reaction score
Well, a toy company does need to step up to the plate and produce modern BG figures based on the classic characters. The only thing that's come close is the Mego-like line that came out several years ago, which I believe has stalled.

NECA would be a good company to make these, but I agree they wouldn't make that many human characters. I don't think Hasbro would do that great of a job, unless they were 6"; for some reason I don't want to see new BG figures in the 3 3/4 scale...

And, this may just be more, but I don't want to see BG figures in the "retro" style, like a lot of the toys we're seeing these days. If I collect a line, I want it to look better & be more accurate than the crummy sculpts on the toys I grew up with back in the day...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I always thought the 3 3/4" mattel sculpts were pretty decent. In fact, much better than Kenner's Star Wars sculpts. Mattel nailed Lorne Greene's likeness. I think the lack of face paints - especially the eyes - made the figures look cheap, however. That being said, I'd like to see an extension of the line in a retro style. The addition of Apollo and Boomer are musts, along with Athena, Sheba and Cassiopeia. Maybe a Boxey to go along with muffit, too. I'd also like to see varients of Starbuck and Apollo in flight jackets and removable helmet.

Reaction score
Throw in Col Ty as well. I always thought it was funny that Dirk Benedict got a figure of him yet he didn't want anything else to do with BSG. Yet Richard Hatch tried to keep the series alive but didn't want a figure made of him.

Reaction score
I always thought the 3 3/4" mattel sculpts were pretty decent. In fact, much better than Kenner's Star Wars sculpts. Mattel nailed Lorne Greene's likeness. I think the lack of face paints - especially the eyes - made the figures look cheap, however. That being said, I'd like to see an extension of the line in a retro style. The addition of Apollo and Boomer are musts, along with Athena, Sheba and Cassiopeia. Maybe a Boxey to go along with muffit, too. I'd also like to see varients of Starbuck and Apollo in flight jackets and removable helmet.
Well, the Mattel BG figure sculpts themselves weren't bad by late '70's standards; the cloth capes for some of the figures (especially Starbuck, Adama, and Ovion) looked great. However, I completely agree that the lack of paint on the face - specifically no paint for the eyes of Adama or Starbuck - made the figures look like pseudo-bootlegs - even by late '70's standards.

I guess I wouldn't mind seeing a series of "retro" BG figures in the same "style" as the Mattel figures - as long as the paint jobs were much better.