Mattel Hover Board Replica Review puts things into perspective.

Reaction score
Just came across this article as written by Bob Gale, one of the producers of Back to the Future, talking about his disappointment in the final Hover Board product.

What's interesting is that both the video review, and Bob Gale, state that for $120 they should have got this perfect.

$120 is the expectation for replica perfection from the guy behind the movies and advocate of the replica manufacturing. He obviously knows how much it costs to make and therefore with the asking price of $120 was expecting it to be perfect.

Clearly collectors have lower expectations as there have been quite a few expensive replicas ($1000 or more from various companies) that are FAR from perfect.

Personally, I wouldn't expect perfect for $120, but for anything (relative) over $500, I certainly do.

Bob Gale himself has now issued a formal statement about the quality of the product via a statement newly posted onBTTF.com and Beyond the Marquee.

Last week, I received the first of my hoverboards. I had seen the review on “Beyond the Marquee” a few days earlier (http://beyondthemarquee.com/15970/), so my expectations were lowered. Nevertheless, I was disappointed. Jon and Steve’s review was spot on, and my issues are basically the same as theirs. The plastic stand is poorly designed and damn near impossible to make work. And although it was indicated that the board would somehow glide across certain smooth surfaces (like carpet), mine certainly didn’t. I too thought the sounds the board makes were underwhelming. But I would have forgiven all of these things if they had just gotten the lenticular quality of the movie board correct. This, in my opinion, is the product’s biggest problem. It’s supposed to be a prop replica so, at a $120 pre-sale price, it should look perfect. But it misses that mark. It’s not a disaster — far from it: the colors, dimensions, weight are great with a solid build quality, and the box graphics are a lot of fun (even though it’s missing the sticker that says “warning: does not work on water!”). And if it was $70, I’d give it an A. But at almost twice that price ($130 now), it is, at best, only a B. And dammit, I expected an A.
[EDIT]
I put myself out there to promote this, so now I want to publicly stand here with egg on my face and apologize. This product, at this price, falls short of the top notch standards that you and I have come to expect for something that carries the Back to the Future brand.

Reaction score
Good to hear this from Gale himself. And I agree with his feedback on this.

I'm still on the fence about what to do with my board. I like it, it's fun but something about it throws me off. Maybe it's the lenticular graphics or the pink velcro strap that should be fur. I just don't know what Mattel was thinking with some of it's final decisions. I really see them saying "Well that's ok -it looks good enough."

Reaction score
Opened mine up last night. I had low expections already with all that had been discussed on other boards (forum not hover) for the last few months.

It took me a number of tries to get it on the weak stand they provided. The other flaws in the design are already well documented.

I think it's great that Gale spoke up about this. Hopefully Matty takes note before they start working on any other 1:1 items. They sure didn't listen when all the fans were complaining and trying to prevent this disaster from happening.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Matty did a pretty decent job on their PKE Meter and Ghost Trap. But it seems, the same thing can't be said about the Hoverboard. I did pre-order it. But cancelled it at the 11th hour as I decided I did not really want it. Glad I did.

Reaction score
So...are there any options for returns on this?

Also, the sound it makes when its just sitting there, what the heck is that supposed to be a sound of?

Last edited: