Mattel - Hot Wheels Thread

Reaction score
Thanks DA.

Mate I don't know what's coming out.. I ask questions & no one pays attention.
I've seen reports of a 1/16 RC Ecto 1 from the Original Ghostbusters coming out in the second quarter of 2016 and a 1/64th "reboot" Ghostbusters Ecto 1 and Ecto cycle as well as the upcoming Lego set.

the Ecto 1 and Ecto 1A are 2 of my all time favorite movie vehicles. I have the Hot Wheels 1:43 and 1:18 Ecto 1A as well as all the 1/64th Ecto's and the Fuji Film mail-away Ecto 1A in my collection, along with the Real Ghostbusters Ecto 1 and Ecto 1A....

if only I could find a full size version to drive around in :D

Reaction score
Ah, good to know. :)

I remember a couple of christmases ago, one of my local big chains here in AUS had the large 1:18 HW Ecto-1; I think it was going for about $75. I really wanted to get it, but in all honesty I couldn't justify spending the money at the time.

What I'm still not sure about - based on earlier posts, is whether the Kilmer Batmobile that folks are currently finding is the 1/64 0r 1/50??

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a larger scale Bond Aston Martin in the wild(not the small Spectre on)?

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a larger scale Bond Aston Martin in the wild(not the small Spectre on)?
My TRU is overloaded with them. just picked one up on Saturday. it's a neat little car. the launching mechanism doesn't always work but still it's a great piece. do you need one? if so I'd be glad to get one and ship it to you at cost or we can work out a trade.

Reaction score
Ah, good to know. :)

I remember a couple of christmases ago, one of my local big chains here in AUS had the large 1:18 HW Ecto-1; I think it was going for about $75. I really wanted to get it, but in all honesty I couldn't justify spending the money at the time.

What I'm still not sure about - based on earlier posts, is whether the Kilmer Batmobile that folks are currently finding is the 1/64 0r 1/50??
the Kilmer Batmobile is the 1/50th scale. I don't think they actually ever made a 1/64th scale one yet. I think Ertl was the last company to make a mini almost 1/64th scale Kilmer Batmobile.

An RC Ecto-1? As long as it's not a cheap piece of junk, I'm sold!
it looks pretty good from the mock-up pics. if you google 1/50th Ecto 1 2016 there's a pic of it in the images section. looks to be scaled to 1:18th similar to the RC 1966 Batmobile.

Reaction score
You know,I just noticed that the tumbler that is in the current line of re-releases...is actually a different a mold entirely?

Not the best picture to show it, but look around the edges of the fins on the back, and the insides of the wheels in the front to name a few obvious ones

Sent using Delorean Time Machine

Reaction score
I stopped by Walmart after the movie tonight, and they had two versions of the '89 batmobile: One version has a gloss finish, like the one I bought a couple of months ago, while the second has a matte finish.

Reaction score
Here's some of my Hot Wheels!

Nascars:

Indy Cars:

Other racers:

Non-race cars:

Speed Racer cars:

Mach 4, 5 and 6:

Batmobile:

Reaction score
picked up my second BvsS 1/50th Batmobile the other day to customize and make a darker grey/black. the light grey of the car really bugs me for some reason. also picked up the re-release / new Tumbler from the 1/50th scale line as well. slightly different paint scheme on the Tumbler this time around.

Reaction score
Grabbed another one of the new tumblers, here's some good comparisons so you can see all the changes in this new mold

(Left original, right new)

This is what really tipped me off initially, the edges of the fins

Sent using Delorean Time Machine

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah I actually went down to my local TRU yesterday & found one as well. Looks like a bit of a no frills paint job compared to the earlier one which is a bit lame.

Also a bit lame, was discovering what the rest of the wave consists of (60s vehicles, 89 car, Kilmer car).. & nothing else being there. :(

Reaction score
I picked up the 1/50th BvS Batmoblie and the 1/64th BvS Batwing at Walmart today. I also grabbed the re-issue of the Enterprise with the 50th anniversary logo.

Reaction score
picked up the Matte Black '89 Batmobile yesterday. I have the first release glossy version but the matte finish looks great, plus it's my all time favorite Batmobile after the '66

Reaction score
Picked up the new 2016 black BMW 2002! :) (note - not my image, simply used for reference):

Also - picked up the Matchbox Heavy Railer/Freighter Locomotive for my son - and he absolutely loves it!

Ps: neither of these is movie related HWs so apologies for the off-topic post! :p

Last edited:
Reaction score
That's the thing about the little HW cars; they're cheap & there's something for every type of collector.

Cool train, & nice vintage Beemer. :)

Reaction score
hit up Walmart last night on the way home from work and scored the Retro Entertainment series USS Enterprise, BvS Batwing and the James Bond Spectre Aston Martin.

Reaction score
picked up the new Ghostbusters Ecto 1 and Ecto 2 set in TRU this afternoon in East Brunswick. it's currently sitting on my desk next to the Retro Series Real Ghostbusters Ecto 1.

Reaction score
picked up the new Ghostbusters Ecto 1 and Ecto 2 set in TRU this afternoon in East Brunswick. it's currently sitting on my desk next to the Retro Series Real Ghostbusters Ecto 1.
Good to hear they're out in NJ. I'll check my store but will all the collectors and scalpers in my area, I'm not expecting much.

Reaction score
Where are these being stocked? By hot wheels? By collect able cars? By ghostbusters? By collectible figures?

Reaction score
Where are these being stocked? By hot wheels? By collect able cars? By ghostbusters? By collectible figures?
Saw them at both TRU and Walmart today. Walmart had them with the GB figures and in the Hot Wheels section. They also had a ton of the Classic ECTO-1!

Reaction score
Sweet! I'll watch walmart also, no luck so far but I'm sure we'll be drowning in them in no time

Reaction score
not Hot Wheels but I was able to add another TV car to my collection yesterday... The Munsters DRAGULA hearse from Johnny Lightning.

Reaction score
not Hot Wheels but I was able to add another TV car to my collection yesterday... The Munsters DRAGULA hearse from Johnny Lightning.
I was wondering if anyone had made the Munsters car in the small scale to date, cool! :)

I must admit that I don't visit here nearly as frequently as I used to, but I thought this was at least worth sharing, because it felt like a great little victory after coming up empty everytime time in the past.. anyway:

Did my little look around the other day while out running a few errands, & went to a local mall that has a couple places worth checking. I've had next to no luck with the 1:50 scale Batmobiles EXCEPT for finding a lonely Tumbler at a local TRU about a month ago - which I wanted, but it was at the bottom of the list really. So - checked place #1 - nothing. Went to place #2.. SUCCESS! Little independant toy shop. Asked the guy before looking: "..got any 1:50 HW BMs?" & to my complete shock, he said, ".. yeah - just got four boxes in today I think!"

This never happens to me. Living in Australia, it's obviously a far smaller market than in the US, so it's the quick or the dead.. or eBay. I didn't have the cash to grab everything I wanted, but he offered to hold what I needed for two weeks. Nice helpful guy - bless him (haha)!

Walked out with the Foerever car, & going to get the rest over the next fortnight - good times.

End of blurb. :)

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had made the Munsters car in the small scale to date, cool! :)

I must admit that I don't visit here nearly as frequently as I used to, but I thought this was at least worth sharing, because it felt like a great little victory after coming up empty everytime time in the past.. anyway:

Did my little look around the other day while out running a few errands, & went to a local mall that has a couple places worth checking. I've had next to no luck with the 1:50 scale Batmobiles EXCEPT for finding a lonely Tumbler at a local TRU about a month ago - which I wanted, but it was at the bottom of the list really. So - checked place #1 - nothing. Went to place #2.. SUCCESS! Little independant toy shop. Asked the guy before looking: "..got any 1:50 HW BMs?" & to my complete shock, he said, ".. yeah - just got four boxes in today I think!"

This never happens to me. Living in Australia, it's obviously a far smaller market than in the US, so it's the quick or the dead.. or eBay. I didn't have the cash to grab everything I wanted, but he offered to hold what I needed for two weeks. Nice helpful guy - bless him (haha)!

Walked out with the Foerever car, & going to get the rest over the next fortnight - good times.

End of blurb. :)

here's a pic of the Munsters Coach next to the reboot of Ecto 1.

Johnny Lightning has a great series of Movie and TV type cars to collect as well as Racing Champions. Johnny Lightning had some awesome additions like Black Beauty from Green Hornet, Mystery Machine (more accurate version), Back to the Future, Ecto 1A, Elvira's T-Bird, Partridge Family Bus, Simpsons cars etc and Dukes of Hazzard (Roscoe's Police Car) and I believe Racing Champions had the General Lee.

Reaction score
Walmarts are receiving shippers of the entertainment series original ecto 1. It woulda been nice if it was a mix from all 3 movies and real ghostbusters, oh well.

Reaction score
here's a pic of the Munsters Coach next to the reboot of Ecto 1.

Johnny Lightning has a great series of Movie and TV type cars to collect as well as Racing Champions. Johnny Lightning had some awesome additions like Black Beauty from Green Hornet, Mystery Machine (more accurate version), Back to the Future, Ecto 1A, Elvira's T-Bird, Partridge Family Bus, Simpsons cars etc and Dukes of Hazzard (Roscoe's Police Car) and I believe Racing Champions had the General Lee.
Cheers for that DA, looks awesome!

I didn't realize JL did all those TV/movie vehicles, so there you go. I'd love to get some of those that you mentioned, so I'll have to do some digging around by the looks. :)

Reaction score
Cheers for that DA, looks awesome!

I didn't realize JL did all those TV/movie vehicles, so there you go. I'd love to get some of those that you mentioned, so I'll have to do some digging around by the looks. :)
absolutely.. they made some great ones back in the 90's. here's one of my favorites from my collection

Reaction score
That's pretty neat, where'd you find that? ^

Also, after seeing your report of JL cars, namely the Munsters car. I went and did some looking locally, and nothing...
So I was curious if you could help me out with acquiring the Munsters car?

Reaction score
That's pretty neat, where'd you find that? ^

Also, after seeing your report of JL cars, namely the Munsters car. I went and did some looking locally, and nothing...
So I was curious if you could help me out with acquiring the Munsters car?
Sadly most of all the Johnny Lightning Hollywood collection came out between 1997-2003 so it's comic shops, eBay and conventions for the most of them.

I was online a few days ago and they had the Ghostbusters one for $175. It was HTF back in the day and now with the new movie coming out the prices are insane.

Reaction score
Man, that little set looks excellent. I remember when HW released the little Ecto-1 back in 2007(?). I couldn't find a single one anywhere. I had to get a couple on eBay in the end, but I got a good deal so it was cool. A couple Xmases ago, I spotted the 1:18 version in a local dept store, & almost pulled the trigger, but I just couldn't justify the price tag so i left it. Looked awesome too.

Anyway, yesterday I went back to that little toy shop & picked up two more 1:50 HW Bat vehicles; the 66 copter & sidecar bike. I'll go back next week & get the 89 car & 66 boat. B)

Reaction score
Nice score VintijDroidGutzz! Glad you got a Bat-Haul of HWs goodies!!! :D

Totally veering off topic: I picked this up today, on sale slightly:

Note: image not mine, simply for reference.

A very cool 73s BMW 3.0 CSL Race Car!!!!
Had been looking for this for a while now, so great to find one in the wild! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Cheers mate, it feels good to finally find a few things that I've been after for ages. I still want the 1:50 90s animated series Batmobile though, & I'm not sure if that's getting a re-release anytime soon. I remember spotting one in a local K-mart years ago & not grabbing it.

Pardon my ignorance, but is your little find there based on an actual vintage BMW race car? Nice little pick up anyway!

Last edited: