Mattel - Ghostbusters

Reaction score
Sony Pictures Consumer Products and Mattel, Inc. announced today the development of a new collectible line of toys based on the world’s favorite poltergeist fighting team, the Ghostbusters, including an extensive cast of ghosts and ghostbusters – celebrating the 25th anniversary of the frightfully funny classic film “Ghostbusters.”
Mattel’s “Ghostbusters” collectible line debuts with 12-inch figures in June 2009, and will be available exclusively at MattyCollector.com. Each figure will feature window box packaging and include authentic Ghostbuster equipment unique to each character. For the first time, Mattel’s line will include talent likeness of Egon Spengler, Ray Stantz, Peter Venkman and Winston Zeddemore. Select prototype figures will be on display February 6-8 at New York Comic Con and February 15 at Mattel’s New York Toy Fair Collector Preview Night (by invitation only).

”We have assembled a quality group of licensing partners to support and celebrate the anniversary for one of Columbia Pictures' most cherished properties. Mattel’s line-up of collector toys is the perfect complement to what will be a great selection of 25th anniversary product,” said Juli Boylan, Senior Vice President, Sony Pictures Consumer Products Worldwide.

“Ghostbusters” collectors can also look forward to 6-inch figures, with one debuting at San Diego Comic Con in July 2009. Sculpted by Four Horsemen Studios, the team currently working on Mattel’s popular DC Universe™ Classics and Masters of the Universe® Classics collectible lines, the 6-inch line will come complete with authentic “Ghostbusters” equipment and ghost.

“There haven’t been many comedic blockbusters over the past quarter century as memorable and loved as ‘Ghostbusters,’” said Tim Kilpin, GM for Boys, Girls & Games, Mattel, Inc. “We are honored to participate in the celebration of the film’s 25th anniversary by creating the most extensive line of ‘Ghostbusters’ collectibles ever.”

Mattel will also create characters and ghosts from the classic animated series, “The Real Ghostbusters,” to go along with the classic “Ghostbusters” film.

I was kind of hoping it would have stayed in the hands of Neca and the fact that it will be a MattyCollector.com exclusive where you'll end up paying 28.00 per figure after shipping is just uncool.
On the other hand, I guess Murray finally signed his likeness rights.

Reaction score
Re: Mattell Ghostbusters

I was excited until I saw the Mattycollector exclusive bit.

That's both the 12" and 6" lines presumably?

Reaction score

Yeah, well said. At least you guys can get DCUC in stores, down here in AUS that line was totally ignored by retailers.

Above anything else though, I'd love to see them do a detailed 3.75" scale "Ecto-1" - that's the name of their old car or 'mobile' isn't it?

Reaction score

This is awesome news. I've always wished that somebody would do toys based on the actual actors in the films. Hopefully they're not too expensive. Can't wait to see 'em!

Reaction score

please mattel dont screw this up!!! i gtta know what the prcie for these is gonna be

GNT

Reaction score

Ackbars_No1_Fan said:

Better to see them as online exclusives then to not see them at all is the way I look at it.
smile.gif

Reaction score

GNT said:
Ackbars_No1_Fan said:

Better to see them as online exclusives then to not see them at all is the way I look at it.
smile.gif

Yes and no.

I look at the Indy waves that were shown online and then cancelled. Some people, like myself, would have rathered Hasbro did not show those waves; which basically showed us what we would never have. Here's the same thing - if Matty botches this up, I would wish they wouldn't have tried in the first place.

Though, right now, I'm very interested in a Ghostbusters line - preferably the 6"ers.

Reaction score

Hmmm I wonder how the 12 inch figures will be like.

Hopefully they wont look like over priced dolls like DC Direct.

Reaction score

I'd rather much see this line in the hands of NECA. Obviously Mattel has much more money to throw around though. I usually never order anything online, but it looks like I'll have to make an exception with these. I'm too big of a Ghostbusters fan, and I've been waiting too long for something like this to miss out.

Reaction score

Yeah I think Neca woud have been the better way to go (their Slimer was one of the best movie toys ever done). But I'll reserve judgement until I see the 4H version.

Reaction score

wow......this is awsome. something to coincide with the videogame. sound great, im looking foward to the 6 inch line. i hope the artioculation is good. i still have some old 80's figures and my extreme GB's ecto-1, which i have recently cleaned up and am now proudly displaying in my room (wish my dig cam worked cuz i'd love to show you guys). its missing some minor parts but it still looks, great, and still has the working lights and sound (its damn loud!). i wish they were releaseing these figures in stores and not just online.

and yeah, GB's is the only movie where it was a great action movie as well as a great comedy. truly revolutionary, theres no other movie like that least not that im aware of.

Reaction score

How about The Last Crusade? That about fits the bill, in my opinion.

--MaNa

Reaction score

nah, TLC was not all comedy, all the IJ movies have there comedic moments but GB's was like, half comedy, half cool action.

Reaction score

Keaton33 said:
and yeah, GB's is the only movie where it was a great action movie as well as a great comedy. truly revolutionary, theres no other movie like that least not that im aware of.

I think the first Men in Black and Hellboy II were the best supernatural action comedies to follow in the Ghostbusters tradition so far. Both definitely much better than the dismal Ghostbusters II (or the even more dismal Men in Black II).

GNT

Reaction score
Re: Mattel Ghostbusters

SunTzu said:
I look at the Indy waves that were shown online and then cancelled. Some people, like myself, would have rathered Hasbro did not show those waves; which basically showed us what we would never have. Here's the same thing - if Matty botches this up, I would wish they wouldn't have tried in the first place.

It's worth a shot even if the line doesn't do that well.

Hasbro gave the Indy line a go but unfortunetly it didn't work out as well as they'd planned. It's a shame but nothing we can do. We can only hope the cancelled figures pop up in the future.

Reaction score
Re: Mattel Ghostbusters

I've been thinking, and it seems like there's still a chance the 6" figures won't be online exclusives. It only specifically states that for the 12 inchers. I mean you gotta figure it cost them quite a bit to get the likeness rights to the actors. I can see these hitting specialty shops at least, maybe TRU as well. GB is a big enough property to have enough support from the specialty market I think. It's been on a lot of peoples' wishlists for years, it's the 25th anniversary, and we're getting the new game and the original two films on Blu-ray, so it's a big year for the franchise. I don't know, I just can't see the entire line being an exclusive to Mattycollector.

Reaction score

JediJones77 said:
Both definitely much better than the dismal Ghostbusters II (or the even more dismal Men in Black II).

I know its trendy to knock GB2, but I rather like it. Both GB movies were good fun.

Reaction score

I rate Ghostbusters 2 the same way I rate Home Alone 2. Absolutely absurd on more levels than I deem necessary with an amazingly awful storyline, but I still enjoy the heck out of it every time I watch it
smile.gif

Reaction score

This is the best news Ive heard in a long while. I've always wanted movie-accurate GB figures, and now we're getting those AND updated cartoon figures? Sculpted by the Four Horsemen?! Sweet Gozer, life is good. This line is gonna put the old goofy Kenner figures to shame (not that this would be difficult).

I'll pass on the 12" figures (I don't collect dolls) but 6" scale is perfect. Its similar in size to the vintage Kenner figures, and allows for a good likeness and detailed accessories. I have high hopes for this line, and hope to see the movie baddies like Slimer (obviously) the dead librarian, zombie cab driver, terror dogs and Gozer. From the cartoon, bring on Janine in her street clothes and GB jumpsuit, Jeremy & D'Tillio, the Sandman, SamHaine, The Boogeyman, Druul, Marduk & Tiamat, Nexa, and Cthulu!!

Please Mattel don't F this up by limiting the run and putting the whole thing on Mattycollector. The 6" line belongs in stores.

Reaction score

Well I hate Mattel. They're a bunch of thieving scheming fools with no quality control and yet they turn out products likable enough to keep us coming. Thankfully, I'm not big enough on ghost busters to bother with Mattel for this one.

Reaction score

Where's Winston and Venkman? And looks like they're all exclusive to MC.C
frown.gif

Reaction score

Yup. Mattel can stick this line up their ***. I won't pay their ridiculous prices for these, no matter how good they are. There's no reason the 6" figs can't be made available at retail at comic shops. Mattel is not known for their QC, and I don't want pay $30 for a figure without inspecting it myself first.

Reaction score

DarthJoker said:
Yup. Mattel can stick this line up their ***. I won't pay their ridiculous prices for these, no matter how good they are. There's no reason the 6" figs can't be made available at retail at comic shops. Mattel is not known for their QC, and I don't want pay $30 for a figure without inspecting it myself first.

Thank you!!! I am glad to finally see more people feel the same way. I've been saying this about Mattel's Masters of the Universe Classics line. $28 shipped per figure is a horrible direction to take the toy industry.

From what I've put together so far it sounds like these Ghostbusters figures will not all be available at the same time but spread out over several months so that means if you want them you'll have to spit out $20+8.50shipping a pop.

It also sounds like Bill Murray's figure is completed but isn't being shown because like with the days with NECA... Mattel is still haggling licensing agreements.

Reaction score

^^
Nice to see I'm not alone in that thinking.
grin.gif
Sometimes it seems like some collectors will pay almost anything, and that sends the wrong message to these companies. I'll be passing on these like I am the MOTU line, and while it'll be very hard because I've been wanting a GB line for years, I have to stick to it.

Reaction score

Well look at it this way. It's either you pay a premium for a line that wouldn't exist at retail, or you choose to not pay the premium. It's really that simple. Toys are going up not down. These are directed at Adult collectors and not children with disposable income. It's really a choice and a hobby rather than an actual everyday need.

Reaction score

swegoing said:
Well look at it this way. It's either you pay a premium for a line that wouldn't exist at retail, or you choose to not pay the premium. It's really that simple. Toys are going up not down. These are directed at Adult collectors and not children with disposable income. It's really a choice and a hobby rather than an actual everyday need.

Or how about they put them at retail and ship like one case for a store? I'd rather them be rare than online scalping exclusives

Reaction score

Who said it was an everyday need? Are we not allowed to be disappointed that these are online exclusives? And I am passing on them. The loss of my money won't matter to them in the end but I'll be happy for not allowing myself to be ripped off. Of course that's just my opinion. Not everyone will feel these are a rip off. I just don't agree with paying $20+Shipping for a 6" figure. I feel that these should've been made available at specialty shops at least. I'd maybe even be OK with them charging $20 for them if they were, just because I'd at least be able to check them out before I buy them.

GNT

Reaction score

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps Mattel doesn't want them at retail, not every toy needs to be sold at a retail store. Besides there's no movie or tv show out to keep the general public interested in this line. That shelf space could be better used for something that would sell faster.

Since they'll be sold online and aimed at collectors these figures will no doubt have a lesser production run then a normal toy line so a higher cost will cover production costs.

Maybe you should wait till a local fair is on or a comic book store gets a couple in.

Otherwise these figures look pretty good to me!

Reaction score

No I don't mean at big retailers, I mean at comic shops. Like if a company like NECA was handling it. That's the same market they're aiming for. Plus there's the new game coming out this year, so that will help put Ghostbusters in the spotlight. But by putting them on their site they can charge more and make a smaller run. It's easy profit for them. Oh well, they're likely to sell out so what do I know?
tongue.gif
They look great. I look forward to seeing pics once people get them in hand.

Reaction score

Those Ghostbusters toys looks very good!!!!!!!! i have already seen all 2 movies and they are pretty good made
grin.gif

Reaction score

man I'm p***Ed off, these figures look SOOOO cool BUT THERE FREAKING ONLINE ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. figures this awesome should be mass marketed. I mean come on...

who doesn't want to play with a Dan Akroyd action Figure.
smirk.gif