Matchbox

Reaction score
'65 Land Rover Gen. II (in actuality a Series II Station Wagon; AFAIK Land Rover never used "Generation/Gen." for the I-III Series vehicles):

'18 Dodge Charger:

Reaction score
'65 Land Rover Gen. II (different top):

Mercedes-Ben Unimog U1300:

Caviga Canyon 500:

Off-Road Rescue Rig (Terrain Trekkers exclusive vers.):

Reaction score
Noticed an odd thing the other day. For the longest time Kmart has had the "boxed" Matchbox Police car, several of them. Then they were all gone, was this a spcial release. Or did someone just need a fleet of police cruisers all of a sudden? lol

Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of. The boxed cars are known as Power Grabs and are identical to the carded version(s) except for the packaging.

Reaction score
My guess is someone who doesn't frequent that K-mart stumbled on them finally. Police vehicles is a popular collecting focus. I tend to pick up most police vehicles myself.

I usually pick up most police vehicles and any Subaru WRX. There was a release not too long ago of a Japanese police WRX. You know I picked up multiples of that one. LOL!

Reaction score
I've always preferred Matchbox over Hot Wheels as the cars look more realistic. the only Hot Wheels I usually buy are the Retro Entertainment series and the Hollywood movie/TV cars. the rest are easy passes for the most part. I may occasionally pick up some of the old muscle cars under the Hot Wheels brand but it's very rare.

Reaction score
I started to accumulate way too many Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars that I had to start being more selective. If a car doesn't have the front and rear deco (headlights and tail lights) I have to think really hard if I want it or not. I've been starting to pass on a lot of cars that I normally would have purchased in the past.

I know this is off topic, but I tell you what I've been all over these days are the Hot Wheels Car Culture models. They're more expensive, but honestly, I'd rather have 1 of those than 5 or 6 of the $1 cars. The deco on them seems more like the photo real tech Hasbro uses vs. a traditional pad printing process.

And just as an FYI if you have an Aldi store in your area you need to check them out. Aldi recently got in the 2nd Fast and Furious (Original Fast) set and they have them for $3 each.

Reaction score
My guess is someone who doesn't frequent that K-mart stumbled on them finally. Police vehicles is a popular collecting focus. I tend to pick up most police vehicles myself.

I usually pick up most police vehicles and any Subaru WRX. There was a release not too long ago of a Japanese police WRX. You know I picked up multiples of that one. LOL!
Same here, but usually just stick to State Trooper versions. Or certain City Police and Sheriff. I don't buy them all. lol
I think it was a BMW European Police Car w/o lights. The reason why it didn't appeal to me. I did buy the WRX though

Reaction score
I really want that green Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and the blue Willys pickup. :D
the blue Willy's pick-up was part of a 5 pack that came with the Jeep Gladiator and came with a VW Bug/Dunebuggy, and 2 other Jeep vehicles as well. The Rubicon is nice (although needs more detailing). The Color Changer one you have is basically the same model

Reaction score
I'm also pretty keen on the "InGen 4x4" (the customized Jeep Wrangler from The Lost World), but I cannot for the life of me find the second series of Jurassic World Matchbox cars in Walmart or Target.

Reaction score
After failing at two different Walmarts, I caved and ordered the Jeep Willys Wagon with opening doors off of eBay. I've wanted the Willys Jeep All-Steel Station Wagon to be made in this line ever since they did the pickup version. It's been one of my favorite old-timey offroaders thanks to its use in movies like It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (as Algernon Hawthorne's vehicle) and Sheena (as the vehicle driven by Sheena's parents at the beginning).

Reaction score
I love your photography of the cars out and about in the dirt and woods. Reminds me of playing with my Matchbox and Hot Wheels in the yard as a kid. :)

Reaction score
I love your photography of the cars out and about in the dirt and woods. Reminds me of playing with my Matchbox and Hot Wheels in the yard as a kid. :)
Thank You Kind Sir! It's much appreciated. I call it Toy Therapy... this is my way to unwind after a stressful day of work. There's a small park behind my house that offers lots of interesting locations to shoot these miniature beauties in.

here's a few more (a mix of Hot Wheels, Matchbox, Johnny Lightning, Autoworld and Greenlight 1/64)

Reaction score
I love Hot Wheels red Land Rover Series III Pickup... except it hasn't got the characteristic split windshield! Matchbox's "Gen. II" (a Series III Station Wagon, actually) got that detail right. There are pre-Defender Land Rovers without the split windshield, but those are usually after-market customs and the split windshield is such a characteristically "Land Rover" thing... heck, even the vehicle's car art correctly shows it with the bar down the center of the windshield! Oh well. Still a kick-butt Land Rover. And they're doing a proper Defender soon, too (as opposed to that big-wheeled crew cab pickup one that's been out for a couple of years).

I have that '89 Grand Wagoneer and the '00 Xterra, too. :D

And I wish they'd do a four-door classic 80s Cherokee.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The only Johnny Lightning I have is a 1980 Chevrolet Malibu:

I also have a Mercedes-Benz Unimog U 416 made by Roco MiniTanks:

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Mercedes-Benz 5-pack, featuring the until now unreleased '14 Mercedes-Benz G-Class G550 (a maroon version of the silver Jurassic World version without the bull bars over the headlights and grill):

Mercedes-Benz W123 Wagon:

Last edited:
Reaction score
The only Johnny Lightning I have is a 1980 Chevrolet Malibu:

I also have a Mercedes-Benz Unimog U 416 made by Roco MiniTanks:

Sweet... I think I have that Chevy Malibu myself but in a pale blue.

I prefer the Johnny Lightning and Greenlight 1/64th just due to the amount of detail that put into them Matchbox is a close 2nd when it comes to the details and for me Hot Wheels just misses the mark on most of their models (plus I'm not a huge fan of the whacky creations they make.)

Reaction score
Yeah, I buy way more Matchbox than I do Hot Wheels... which is frustrating as almost every Walmart and Target I go to stocks more of the former than the latter. Especially the Walmart here where I live.

They have pegs and pegs of Hot Wheels, including an entire endcap, but one small Matchbox section that they're always very slow to restock, and, worse, they keep restocking the same things. They kept restocking the Jeep and Chevrolet anniversary series for a year after they debuted, never had the Land Rover one at all, breezed through and never (that I can remember) restocked the Mercedes one, and are now currently obsessively restocking the Ford series in lieu of the main line, resulting in a ton of empty pegs. I like most of the employees at this Walmart, as I visit it often, but whoever actually runs the toy section (or whoever it is makes the decisions on what to stock there and when to stock it) is an idiot. Their M.O. is "stock it, and when it sells through, don't stock the next wave/series, stock what already sold," and then, of course, nobody buys that because the majority of the customers are repeat customers from the surrounding apartment complexes (it isn't a very built-up area with a lot to offer). The majority of the people coming in looking for die cast vehicles consequently have already gotten or passed on what this particular Walmart's toy section keeps restocking, and so it just sits and collects dust, selling through very, very, very slowly.

And as for Target? While every Target I've been in doesn't have as big of a Hot Wheels selection as Walmart, the amount of Hot Wheels they offer still outnumbers what Matchboxes they have. Target's Matchbox offerings are even more pitiful than Walmart's.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, I buy way more Matchbox than I do Hot Wheels... which is frustrating as almost every Walmart and Target I go to stocks more of the former than the latter. Especially the Walmart here where I live.

They have pegs and pegs of Hot Wheels, including an entire endcap, but one small Matchbox section that they're always very slow to restock, and, worse, they keep restocking the same things. They kept restocking the Jeep and Chevrolet anniversary series for a year after they debuted, never had the Land Rover one at all, breezed through and never (that I can remember) restocked the Mercedes one, and are now currently obsessively restocking the Ford series in lieu of the main line, resulting in a ton of empty pegs. I like most of the employees at this Walmart, as I visit it often, but whoever actually runs the toy section (or whoever it is makes the decisions on what to stock there and when to stock it) is an idiot. Their M.O. is "stock it, and when it sells through, don't stock the next wave/series, stock what already sold," and then, of course, nobody buys that because the majority of the customers are repeat customers from the surrounding apartment complexes (it isn't a very built-up area with a lot to offer). The majority of the people coming in looking for die cast vehicles consequently have already gotten or passed on what this particular Walmart's toy section keeps restocking, and so it just sits and collects dust, selling through very, very, very slowly.

And as for Target? While every Target I've been in doesn't have as big of a Hot Wheels selection as Walmart, the amount of Hot Wheels they offer still outnumbers what Matchboxes they have. Target's Matchbox offerings are even more pitiful than Walmart's.

what baffles me is that both Hot Wheels and Matchbox are both made by Mattel and have the same cost factor yet Hot Wheels is produced in larger quantities with more display space per store with Matchbox having a smaller section (usually by me about 6 pegs)

it's as if Mattel doesn't care for Matchbox and are almost trying to phase them out

Reaction score
A shame, as I think Matchbox are better. Hot Wheels seems to want to make every car a race car for some reason...

I mean some Hot Wheels are actually decent. I've cherry picked a few here and there like the BTTF Delorean, Cruella De Ville coupe, the speed shop Chevy Nomad, and the Retro Entertainment series were amazing.

Reaction score
had some fun with a few Hot Wheels, Matchbox, Greenlight and Johnny Lightning's last night:

- Johnny Lightning Jeep Cherokee

- Lesney / Matchbox VW Camper

Reaction score
Nice shots, especially the Willys Jeep Station Wagon. It was one of my most anticipated models of this year. But has anyone seen the green version? I've only seen, and bought, the maroon one. But apparently there's also a green one. Will there be a running change?

That Dodge pickup with the huge wheels looks awesome, as well, and the gray (silver?) Volkswagen van, and I do believe Johnny Lightning has made the best die cast Jeep Cherokee in this scale. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nice shots, especially the Willys Jeep Station Wagon. It was one of my most anticipated models of this year. But has anyone seen the green version? I've only seen, and bought, the maroon one. But apparently there's also a green one. Will there be a running change?

That Dodge pickup with the huge wheels looks awesome, as well, and the gray (silver?) Volkswagen van, and I do believe Johnny Lightning has made the best die cast Jeep Cherokee in this scale. :)
Thanks Mate... I have more shots to take and want to try and add effects to some of the shots as well.

I haven't seen the running change for the Jeep Willys but I'm definitely keeping my eyes open for that one.

the 1/2 ton Dodge is one of my favorites I have 3 different versions of this one. The Volkswagon Camper is a vintage Lesney Matchbox from the early 70's I believe (I still have the cardboard box somewhere) and I definitely agree that Johnny Lightning really knocked it out of the park with the Jeep Cherokee.

Reaction score
I also collect Micro Machines as well and I'm starting to photograph some of those as well. I have a few close up shots of those but they are just hanging out on my desk in my office. I'm thinking of bringing them outside and setting up a few shot with those as well.

Reaction score
Ordered a green Jeep Willys Wagon from an Australian seller, and the green '18 Wrangler Unlimited from a US one. :)

Last edited: