MATCHBOX / HARMONY GOLD: Robotech

Reaction score
I'm suprised to not find a thread already started for these lines of toys for the Robotech universe. Does anyone here collect these figures & vehicles?

Personally, I'm not a huge anime fan, but I have always loved both the Star Blazers and Robotech series since seeing a few of the episodes of each in the 80's. What I did not realize is that there was a line of action figures and related vehicles for Robotech! I had always seen the anime style mech toys and models, but had no idea they had such a neat toy line as the one started with Matchbox and carried on with Harmony Gold.

I'm just getting started into collecting this line. The prices seem very reasonable and the quality of the toys seems very high. I love the figure card designs as well.

Leif

Reaction score
I can't recall the page I found that showed all of the variations in this line, but it was interesting.

Minmei was only released on the Harmony Gold card, and the Micronian Miria had a different body on that card as well. I happened to get both of those fairly reasonably priced, as you say Leif.

Reaction score
I currently have most of the Matchbox/Harmony Gold set getting loose graded at AFA. Most of the pieces are fairly easy to find... Lunk by far was the toughest piece to acquire... as he had limited distribution. I purchased my Lunk for $25 MOC... most online vendors were asking between $75 - $125. Geez...

Background info on both Harmony Gold and Matchbox can be found at Robotech Museum.

I am short 'Corg' and the Zentraedi size 'Miriya' to complete my set. Anyone?

Reaction score
Im a big collector of Robotech and still need a few more pieces of minor issue for my collection. Lunk was only produced in Canada sadly and his prices tend to bounce around. I have seen as low as $25 once in awhile, usually see $50+ and at times seen $150 for a Lunk. These are final prices that did sell.

Its a great toy line and like many other 80s lines are still chugging along and gaining momentum. I agree with you prospects of collecting now.

Reaction score
Wow! Great to see I'm not alone in my interest with this line. I was originally planning just to pick up the Matchbox line, but now I'm thinking I'll collect both lines.

Say, does anyone have some knowledge of the Veritech toy? I know it doesn't fully transform, but I was wondering if it at least transformed between fighter jet and the mode... forget what it's called... between jet and full warrior mode (where it still looks like a ship with arms and legs)?

Leif

Reaction score
Leif_G said:
Wow! Great to see I'm not alone in my interest with this line. I was originally planning just to pick up the Matchbox line, but now I'm thinking I'll collect both lines.
Leif
My 21 piece set is a mix-match of Matchbox and Harmony Gold... I believe Lunk, Corg and the 6 Zentrade sized figures were only availble on Matchbox cardbacks and Lynn Minmei was only available on the Harmony Gold cardback.

Early on... when I began my run... I went for both sets; Harmony Gold and Matchbox with the different Miriya outfits.

Currently, I have streamlined the set to include only one of each figure... so I chose the one that had the best display qualities (paint job). :O)

They are fantastic figures... especially if your a fan of the original TV series.

The larger plastic 'Alpha Series Veritechs' had 3 stage transformation capabilites (Battloid Mode, Guardian Mode, Figher Mode)... and came in three differnt colors; Red, Green and Blue. The larger metal 'Alpha Series Veritechs' did not transform.

I have been thinking about adding the Blue Alpha and one of the Invid Scout Ships to my collection.

Reaction score
I pulled this from Robotech Museum about this item...

"The Super VF-1S Veritech was originally slated to be a transforming mecha that could go between fighter and guardian modes, but the final product did not have this ability. This great toy, which measures approximately 12" from nose to tail, is made of a primarily plastic design and offers four separate missile pods under the wings as well as a removeable rifle pod, swiveling battloid head on the undercarriage, adjustable wings for differing flight modes and an attachable booster armor pack. The cockpit can also comfortably fit any standard 3 3/4" action figure but is mainly intended for use by the Rick Hunter figure or Roy Fokker figure as this model was flown by both characters in the series."

I remember back in the eighties when I owned this item... plus the Invid Shock Trooper and Tactical Battle Pod. They were on clearance at K-Mart for $7 ea.

However, I am sure they were sold at one of my parants many garage sales for .50 cents.

This thread is responsible for me cracking open my DVD collectors set... I just finished the Episode 10 last night! Hopefully, I can get to 'Southern Cross' by Sunday evening.

Reaction score
Kaneda_01 said:
This thread is responsible for me cracking open my DVD collectors set... I just finished the Episode 10 last night! Hopefully, I can get to 'Southern Cross' by Sunday evening.
Cool! I just bought 8 DVDs of the older US release of episodes 1 to 48 for $24 on eBay. I can't wait to watch em.

Recently I found out there was actually a Robotech movie that was released before the series hit television. It's called 'Macross - Do You Remember Love?' apparently. Then there's the new one called... 'Shadow Chronicles'(??? - I think). Both apparently very good.

I also picked up a MOC Matchbox Rick Hunter on Irwin Canada card back for $15! I don't know, but I'm betting the Irwin released versions are much rarer. Usually far fewer are made for Canada than the US... being that we have like 10% the population of the US.

Leif

Reaction score
I love Robotech and Macross but I never bought any of the US toys. When Voltron came out I had Lionbot and when Robotech came out I had all the Macross toys. There used to be a asian store that carried all the import toys so that's what I bought. I never really like Matchboxes take on these toys. I ended up getting Rick Hunter and a Zentradi leader MOC from some garage sale but that's the extent of my Robotech/Matchbox collection.

Reaction score
Since I had some minimum exposure to Robotech years ago but know nothing of its background I decided to do a little online research.

It turns out Robotech was 'created' in 1984 by Harmony Gold. They wanted to air a dubbed version of the Japanese anime 'Macross: Super Dimensional Fortress' but couldn't as it didn't meet the minimum requirement of having 65 episodes. So they decided to to air 3 completely different Japanese anime shows under the same slot that would together meet the 65 episode requirement. The plans were to produce English versions of the 3 shows. The producer suggested they instead rework the 3 completely different shows and make it so that their story lines 'meshed' together.

So what started out as three completely different shows turned into a single show with multiple sagas.

The name Robotech actually came from the model company Revel who had a contract with Harmony Gold which stipulated that anything related to the models that was produced under Harmony Gold would carry the same name as Revel's name for the model line... Robotech.

Another item that got me curious was a movie called 'Macross: Do You Remember Love?' which was produced by Harmony Gold in 1984, around the same time as the tv series, but slightly after from what I gather.

What I found curious is that the movie uses a mixture of elements from the tv series Robotech, the Japanese shows the preceeded Robotech, and pure revisionism. The story is somewhat like Robotech, but also completely different by the sounds of it. I've also heard a number of comments that the animation in this movie is superior to the Robotech tv show as are several other elements including Minmei and her Japanese singing(?). I have yet to watch it so I'm eager to see it.

Anyways, the scoop on this movie is that it is supposedly a fictional movie within the robotech universe. In other words, Robotech the tv series is the history of what actually happened in the robotech universe, but 'Macross: Do You Remember Love?' is a fictional movie, inspired by actual (but fictional) events of robotech history that was created & released by someone in the year 2031 of the robotech universe. In other words... pretend you are living in the robotech universe in 2031 and this new movie has just been released, but as usual Hollywood (robotech 'Hollywood') sacrificed historical accuracy for the sake of mass appeal.

Pretty interesting idea. Especially since it was created in 1984... so early in the Robotech history (our real world Robotech history). It almost makes me think they made it as a movie version of the Robotech series in case it flopped and they had to release something on the big screen to pay the bills... I dun't know... just seems weird. But the movie itself sounds great! I already have a copy on the way to me as I write this.

Anyways... just thought I would share what I found interesting.

Leif

Reaction score
Leif,

Macross Do you Remember Love really has nothing to do with Robotech.

Harmony Gold bought the rights to Macross, Southern Cross, Genesis Climber Mospeada, and Megazone 23. They altered the first 3 series to become the Robotech that you know. The fourth series, Megazone 23 had some OAVs (Original Animation Videos). Harmony Gold edited those OAVs into a film called Robotech the Movie. it was shown in Texas, but received a lukewarm response, so was buried. Later harmony Gold paid for the production of several episodes of a continuation series called The Sentinels. But it did not pan out. so only a few episodes exist. Now years later, they created the Shadow Chronicles.

The original Macross Series in Japan was followed by the film Macross: Do you remember love. which they later determined was a film in the Macross universe. This was later followed by Macross II which was decided was a sequel film to DYRL. Macross Plus is an offshoot of the Macross TV series, but not a direct sequel. The closest to a direct sequel to Macross is Macross 7. They have more recently created a prequel series called Macross Zero, telling how Roy Fokker became involved.

So they are loosely linked through the original Macross series, but they made enough edits to that when they combined it with the other series, that it exists separately.

Reaction score
ThorOakenfelder said:
Leif,

The original Macross Series in Japan was followed by the film Macross: Do you remember love. which they later determined was a film in the Macross universe.
Yes, thanks Ryan. It's originally based on the Macross series, not Robotech. I mispoke. In my post above read 'Macross' where I say 'Robotech'. I'll have to remember to keep the two series (Macross vs Robotech) separate in my head. I did read though that someone (Harmony Gold? - I think it was them) produced an English dubbed version of DYRL which is apparently not all that good. I forget it's name though. It's not called 'DYRL'. I bought the Japanese language version of DYRL with English subtitles. So I'm guess the English dubbed version isn't another 'remake' (in Robotech style) but just a straight English dubbing.

But as to it's relationship with the Robotech universe, it's pretty much as related as Macross is to Robotech. It apparently features some of the same characters, with their original Macross names. Hikaru Ichijyo instead of Rick Hunter, Roy Focker vs Roy Fokker, Misa - Lisa, etc. Also I understand some of the story elements are the same (ex. the death of Roy). But of course in the grand scheme it sounds nothing like the Robotech story line. Male aliens fighting female aliens, a Japanese singer somehow bringing peace with music (bear in mind I haven't seen it, those are just my impressions of what I've read).

Thanks for all that great info. I'll have to pick up Macross 7 & Macross Zero. I want to get the Protoculture DVD release as well as the original ADV DVDs. Oh wait... I guess I also need Macross II. Damn this is confusing... Maybe I'll just watch Robotech then the new movie Shadow Chronicles.

Leif

Reaction score
Leif,

If you enjoy Robotech... you may want to try some of these other 'old school' Anime titles:

:: Iria
:: 3X3 Eyes
:: Lupin
:: Battle Angel Alita (James Cameron is slated to make a big screen version of this title)
:: Akira (my all time favorite!)

:: SOL Bianca

Enjoy!
-Bill

Reaction score
Leif_G said:
ThorOakenfelder said:
Leif,

The original Macross Series in Japan was followed by the film Macross: Do you remember love. which they later determined was a film in the Macross universe.
Yes, thanks Ryan. It's originally based on the Macross series, not Robotech. I mispoke. In my post above read 'Macross' where I say 'Robotech'. I'll have to remember to keep the two series (Macross vs Robotech) separate in my head. I did read though that someone (Harmony Gold? - I think it was them) produced an English dubbed version of DYRL which is apparently not all that good. I forget it's name though. It's not called 'DYRL'. I bought the Japanese language version of DYRL with English subtitles. So I'm guess the English dubbed version isn't another 'remake' (in Robotech style) but just a straight English dubbing.

But as to it's relationship with the Robotech universe, it's pretty much as related as Macross is to Robotech. It apparently features some of the same characters, with their original Macross names. Hikaru Ichijyo instead of Rick Hunter, Roy Focker vs Roy Fokker, Misa - Lisa, etc. Also I understand some of the story elements are the same (ex. the death of Roy). But of course in the grand scheme it sounds nothing like the Robotech story line. Male aliens fighting female aliens, a Japanese singer somehow bringing peace with music (bear in mind I haven't seen it, those are just my impressions of what I've read).

Thanks for all that great info. I'll have to pick up Macross 7 & Macross Zero. I want to get the Protoculture DVD release as well as the original ADV DVDs. Oh wait... I guess I also need Macross II. Damn this is confusing... Maybe I'll just watch Robotech then the new movie Shadow Chronicles.

Leif
I am trying to remember who did the dub of DYRL. It was one of the worst Dubs ever created. For years it was fairly notorious for being such. There was an edited version of that dub called "Clash of the Bionoids" I've got a copy of that on VHS I also have a copy from Laserdisk of the uncut dub. Because of Harmony Gold's lock on the Macross license, there won't be an american release of DYRL, Macross 0 or Macross 7. Don't feel too bad about Macross 7. I couldn't sit through a whole episode of that. Their Valkyries had an additional transformation that popped out speakers and amps, and most of the characters either sang or played instruments. oh man was it dumb.

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I have seen Akira before, but so long ago that I don't remember much.

Yeah Ryan, that's the one I was thinking of - "Clash of the Bionoids". I heard it was a real stinker.

Well I can't wait to get some of my toy acquistions. If the nicer MOC ones I bought are as nice as the seller describes I'll be getting them graded. I love the packaging. It would great to put together a nice graded MOC set of the matchbox figures along with a few Harmony Gold MOC such as Minmei & the purple suit Miriya.

Bill - When you get yours back from the AFA can we see some pics?

Leif

Reaction score
Leif_G said:
Bill - When you get yours back from the AFA can we see some pics?
I will post pics when they arrive. They should be back in the next week or so... all mine were submitted for loose grading.

Watch out for the following seller: Jason Martinez

He is out of the Dallas/Fort Worth area... he sold me some items... took payment and two figures in the box were missing upon delivery. He has'nt responded to my emails. I was ripped for $40 (Corg and Dlx. Miriya).

Can't remember his ebay id... however he had a nice AFA graded Lynn Minmei Proof Card.

Reaction score
I was in our local version of ToysRus (World4Kids) in the early 90's and remember seeing Harmony Gold Robotech MOC figures for $1 each on clearance. I had never heard of Robotech at the time and so I bought a grand total of ... "no" figures

They had tubs and tubs of them. Most of them seemed to be a female figure IIRC, not sure who that would have been.

Memories!

Cheers,
Will

Reaction score
Sowth said:
I was in our local version of ToysRus (World4Kids) in the early 90's and remember seeing Harmony Gold Robotech MOC figures for $1 each on clearance. I had never heard of Robotech at the time and so I bought a grand total of ... "no" figures

They had tubs and tubs of them. Most of them seemed to be a female figure IIRC, not sure who that would have been.

Memories!

Cheers,
Will
My guess is Dana Sterling.

Reaction score
I'd think it would be the Robotech Master. He is in more or less a dress & I can definatly see why kids wouldn't want him. Old guy in a dress who just stood by a control panel in the show. Boring. Funny thing is that because he was a clone always near two other colones of himself, you would need 3 of him to be more show acurate in displays.

Reaction score
Leif_G said:
Bill - When you get yours back from the AFA can we see some pics? Leif
Just received my score card from AFA... all my Robotech pieces scored U85! Complete set minus Corg and Zentradi sized Miriya.

They should be here next week sometime... will post pics when they arrive.

Reaction score
Excellent! Can't wait to see them. I just scored one of the rarer Miriyas on eBay for $1.25

It's the variant with the red cuffs, red backpack & red strips (cuffs & backpack aren't painted black & stripes aren't painted white).

I also picked up a lot of openers that arrived. I plan to have some of them loose U graded one day like you're doing Bill. But one of them, a micronized Zentraedi, seemed to be broken in the bubble. I could see part of metal hook floating around the bubble. So I opened it up. Free at last after 22 years! He was indeed broken. There is a hook the legs fasten to and it normally attaches to an elastic seated int he torso area. The elastic seems fine but the hook obviously gave out being under tension for so many years.

Have you managed to locate a black Miriya yet Bill? If you do... grab one for me too! Just kidding. But seriously, if you have one and hear of a second... I'd pay more than the going rate for the black Miriya variant, loose and/or MOC.

Leif

Reaction score
Leif, I just went to the local comic shop and wrote down all of the carded Robotech figures they have. want me to send you the list?

Kaneda, I saw 2 Corgs in the case, do you still need one?

Reaction score
ThorOakenfelder said:
Leif, I just went to the local comic shop and wrote down all of the carded Robotech figures they have. want me to send you the list?
Ooooo.... yes please!

Leif

Reaction score
Leif_G said:
Have you managed to locate a black Miriya yet Bill? If you do... grab one for me too! Just kidding. But seriously, if you have one and hear of a second... I'd pay more than the going rate for the black Miriya variant, loose and/or MOC.

Leif
Not sure I will be adding variants to my loose collection. So if a black Miriya pops up... she's yours.

I recently received my scorecard from AFA...

U85 ZENTRAEDI WARRIOR (Matchbox)
U85 BREETAI (Matchbox)
U85 DOLZA (Matchbox)
U85 EXEDORE (Matchbox)
U85 KHYRON (Matchbox)
U85 LUNK (Matchbox)
U85 ZOR PRIME (Matchbox)

U85 BIORID TERMINATOR (HARMONY GOLD)
U85 LISA HAYES (HARMONY GOLD)
U85 LYNN MINMEI (HARMONY GOLD)
U85 MAX STERLING (HARMONY GOLD)
U85 MICRONIZED ZENTRAEDI (HARMONY GOLD)
U85 MIRIYA (HARMONY GOLD)
U85 RAND (HARMONY GOLD)
U85 RICK HUNTER (HARMONY GOLD)
U85 ROBOTECH MASTER (HARMONY GOLD)
U85 ROOK BARTLEY (HARMONY GOLD)
U85 ROY FOKKER (HARMONY GOLD)
U85 SCOTT BERNARD (HARMONY GOLD)

I'm very happy with the grades and can't wait until they arrive. I will post pics... when they get here next week.

I just picked up a Corg and now only need a Zentraedi sized Miriya to complete my run. Would be nice if the last two graded U85 to remain consistent.

Reaction score
Anyone need a boxed Zentradi Armor Quadrano (female) (still taped shut) or a boxed Bioroid sled (still tied to the inner cardboard? I'm getting rid of my Robotech stuff so these are up for sale.

Reaction score
Though I'd like to see Bill's stuff, my Miriya MOC is linked from my webpage, hence why I wanted someone to remove one of the photos at least.

Still need to update on the Matchbox Villian Mech color variants.

Reaction score
Finally recieved several submissions from AFA... including most of the 3 1/4". Just down to two pieces to complete the set... Corg and Zentraedi sized Miriya. They are still casing the Deluxe figures.. I will post pics of the Zentraedi size pieces when they arrive.

Overall, I am very pleased as they look fantastic with my other vintage lines. Can't wait to get the remaining Robotech pieces on display...

Reaction score
Washu said:
Oooh, they do look nice and I'am one who does not like AFA stuff. Did the casing of the figures with helmet cost the basic price?
Yes, all the figures were graded under the LS-3 tier. One standard price for the entire line... not bad at all.

Reaction score
Well after evaluating my display options... looks like I actually need Dana Sterling and Corg to complete the basic run. Which will leave me with two empty spaces on the second shelf... so I will be looking for both the Black and Red Miriya to get two complete rows of 9 figures. The third shelf below will display the six Deluxe figures when they get back from AFA.