QUESTION Master Replicas Lightsaber guide?

Reaction score
So I am getting into collecting lightsaber and I wanted to ask if there are any helpful resources. So far I found this list

and this visual guide

The visual guide is not really helpful as it is not complete at all.
Can you give me some tips about master replicas and/or hasbro lightsaber collecting?

What should be contained in the box? Is there always a certificate?
I saw that that there are people selling it with the original MR brown box. Does this make it more valuable?
What if the Box has been openedand the sabre was turned on, does this make it a lot less valuable?
Is there a website where I can see past sells of items so I can get a feeling of how valuable it can be?

I appreciate every advice :)

Thank you for your answers

Reaction score
I cut through a few pieces of sheet metal with my saber but I hope the value does not decrease because of it.

Reaction score
So I am getting into collecting lightsaber and I wanted to ask if there are any helpful resources. So far I found this list

and this visual guide

The visual guide is not really helpful as it is not complete at all.
Can you give me some tips about master replicas and/or hasbro lightsaber collecting?

I saw that that there are people selling it with the original MR brown box. Does this make it more valuable?
What if the Box has been openedand the sabre was turned on, does this make it a lot less valuable?
Is there a website where I can see past sells of items so I can get a feeling of how valuable it can be?

I appreciate every advice :)

Thank you for your answers
Hey AshlaTano,

I'd be glad to answer a few of your questions. Everything that I'm telling you here only pertains to Master Replicas, for I have no knowledge of the Hasbro line. I've been collecting MR stuff for about 17 years now, and here's what I can tell you. You may find other companies/items that might be a better investment, but I like MR so I collect them.

Some tips for collection MR:
As I mentioned, these items are an investment, and it's always a good idea to make sure you get complete sets which include the piece, certificate of authenticity, presentation box or art box, display case, numbered plaque, and original brown shipper. The more complete the set, the more valuable it is.
What to look for can get complicated because MR changed their lineups and what they included with each purchase during their "golden years" with a LucasFilm license. My biggest tip is to NEVER buy a set if it isn't complete, but that's all personal preference. I will and have invested in pieces with the brown shipper missing, and that is the only exception I'll ever make because often those get so damaged that they can't be used any more.

It depends on the version that you're buying. The versions that MR offered are as follows: Limited Editions (LE), Signature Editions (SE), Elite Editions (EE), As First Built (AFB), Scaled (0.45 scale), and Force FX (FX).

All versions, save FX, included the prop, a certificate of authenticity, a presentation box, display case, numbered plaque, and of course brown the shipper. In the early 2002 runs, the display case was a separate purchase if you got anything other than a SE. I believe they started including display cases with all purchases in 2003 and onward. The presentation boxes included a nice black box with the Star Wars logo and blue foam inserts to case the prop. In around 2006, MR replaced these with an art box that housed the prop, display case, COA, and plaque with a series of styrofoam inserts for protection; I believe this was done as a cost-saving measure.

The Force FX series included an art box with protective styrofoam inserts. They did not include a plaque or COA, and only some included stands.

The scaled versions, often called the mini ones, came in an art box with a certificate of authenticity. Personally, I'm not a fan of these but to each his/her own.

If you purchase from a third party, it is likely that the piece will have already been opened and used at some point; this will reduce the value of the piece since it's no longer brand new. Just make sure to check for damage if you invest in a used one. Good collectors will typically keep Force FX sabres in storage or get a custom display stand so that they don't handle them as much. They will keep the other versions in their display cases and out of direct sunlight; they will also refrain from handling them a lot. However, MR's products, especially the LE, SE, EE and AFB versions, are still highly sought after, and their value is continuing to rise. The more pristine and complete a piece is, the faster its value will rise.

To be honest I'm not sure. But if you want to get an idea of what certain pieces are going for, look on eBay or other third party markets. I'm also happy to give you an idea too; I have 25 MR pieces in my collection.

Feel free to reach out to me at any time if you want any more general info or info on a specific piece. I love talking about this stuff, and I'm glad to help. At the end of the day, buy what you want and what you can afford; never go into debt for a hobby. Also don't let others tell what to invest in; this is your collection, your hobby. You own it, so make it your own.

Good luck and happy collecting.

Best,
Johnny

Last edited:
Reaction score
One thing: be careful when buying a factory sealed MR LE/SE saber, helmet or model. It can have hidden defects, like cracks, paint issues, sticky/gooey saber grips (in the end all will have this issue, at least it is fixable), missing parts etc. Personally I would never buy a factory sealed long sold out MR piece.

As for the investment part, there was a discussion about this before, check out the threads here on the forum. If you really want to invest your money there are better ways out there than MR props. These are collectibles that will hold and rise in value, but if you buy them at current high prices not sure how much will they keep rising to consider them a true investment.

The idea is to buy what you like and what you enjoy, not what others tell you should like. Have a dedicated budget and spend only the money you have, not the money dedicated for the house, family, kids or mortgage.

Reaction score
One thing: be careful when buying a factory sealed MR LE/SE saber, helmet or model. It can have hidden defects, like cracks, paint issues, sticky/gooey saber grips (in the end all will have this issue, at least it is fixable), missing parts etc. Personally I would never buy a factory sealed long sold out MR piece.

As for the investment part, there was a discussion about this before, check out the threads here on the forum. If you really want to invest your money there are better ways out there than MR props. These are collectibles that will hold and rise in value, but if you buy them at current high prices not sure how much will they keep rising to consider them a true investment.

The idea is to buy what you like and what you enjoy, not what others tell you should like. Have a dedicated budget and spend only the money you have, not the money dedicated for the house, family, kids or mortgage.
100% spot on. Thanks for bringing up the manufacturing defects and age issues. I've run into this problem before, even with opened items.