Master Replicas Jedi training Remote: A couple of questions

Reaction score
After years of having my JTR encapsulated in a Master Replicas-like acrylic case, I took it out today to wipe clean some very light dust that had accumulated inside. To my surprise, when I grabbed the remote itself (not the base), it now feels quite sticky all over. My question to you fine folks is this: Is it normal for this collectible to be this way or is mine getting damaged? If it isn't normal, what would you suggest I should do to get this issue fixed?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would only attempt to clean it with rubbing alcohol and a light touch. The grips on the MR sabers (Darth Vader) particularly become sticky but I have never heard about the MR training training remote becoming sticky before.

Reaction score
I have a MR Jedi Remote and the only areas on mine that are sticky are the gray rectangular vinyl things. The paint (weathering) on each one is the sticky part on mine.

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your replies. Yes, upon closer inspection I noticed the stickiness is present on all the gray rectangular vinyl pieces and not the entire JTR. I will try the rubbing alcohol as suggested and I'll use a Q-tip on a couple of the gray pieces and see how they react to it. If the stickiness disappears then, I will treat them all that way. Thanks again, guys. :)

Reaction score
I will have this one installed:

After that nothing will ever get damaged again. It is used in garages with very expensive cars to avoid damages due to moisture or dryness.

Chris

Reaction score
I will have this one installed:

After that nothing will ever get damaged again. It is used in garages with very expensive cars to avoid damages due to moisture or dryness.

Chris
The decay of plastic is not just because of the environment. It is because plastics usually decay in time, no matter what. Everything else will just slow down the process.

Reaction score
When it can be slowed down enough that is fine to me.
Fortunately none of my lightsabers has any flaws till now, I would be ok if it stays like that for the next 50 years with some help from my side :) I already bought some that arrived with that kind of damage and sold them again or sent them back.
Chris

Reaction score
I should say my house is air condioted throughout the entire year at 72 degrees farenheight and the room is closed and dusted regularly, and the lighting (LED) is turned off most of the time. There are no variable temperature changes and no direct sunlight coming in. So, none of the elements that are known to cause damage to a coollectible are present. The JTR was brand new when I purchased it, and I had a display case made for it. It went straight from the box to being inside the protective case. I'm not sure why the rubber pieces on the JTR got this way. The Luke Skywalker Lightsaber and Stormtrooper blaster have no issues with the plastic/rubber parts. I do have a Chewbacca mini bust made by GG where the plastic fur on his arms is also sticky like the JTR. I'm leaning to think some of the plastics used for these collectibles are less enduring than others. I'll try the rubbing alcohol on my day off and see if the rubber pieces get better.

Reaction score
Sounds good. I will check my JTR on a 2 monthly basis as well now. I do this during checking dust every 2 months for the sabers and blasters that have the rubber parts and the HT figures with pleather, but never did for the JTR.
Chris

Reaction score
Interesting:

Along to the list rubber only lasts for 3-5 years, but most of those collectibles having rubber (or something similar at least) are much older already.

Chris

Reaction score
I ended up leaving the JTR as is. Each rubber piece is weathered-like. If I were to rub alcohol on them, I'd be taken off the weathering effect and they'd be just plain gray. Not sure if by just leaving the JTR untouched, without removing the stickiness from the gray pieces, would cause the entire replica to get damaged, though.

Reaction score
Good choice, I would leave it as is as well. Do you have pics of how it looks like?
Chris

I could take a picture but it isn't really visible. Looking at it you cannot tell anything. It is when you pick it up that you feel the little rubber pieces sticking to your skin as if some of that spray glue had been used. There might be a slight sheen to the pieces but unnoticeable in pictures. Yes. I'm going to leave it as is. The remedy could be worse than the disease. Thanks.

Reaction score
Unlike the t-tracks/grips of various MR lightsabers, which are ABS plastic covered in rubber and which can be cleaned well, I'm not sure what material is used on the Jedi training Remote, so it might be the best option to let them untouched for now. Maybe try to discuss this on RPF or find a model builder who could help with some good advice. The thing is that this rubber might rot and degrade even more, discussing with someone who knows what to do would be the best option for long term preservation.

Reaction score
I did not want to create another thread for this, but I have a question for which I'm hoping someone could help. I'm trying to get in touch with casesforcollectibles.com as someone suggested a while back it was a good place to have acrylic tops made, but I'm not getting to the website. All I get is what you see below. Am I typing the address wrong, or are they no longer in business? Thank you.

1634511877433.png

Reaction score
I did not want to create another thread for this, but I have a question for which I'm hoping someone could help. I'm trying to get in touch with casesforcollectibles.com as someone suggested a while back it was a good place to have acrylic tops made, but I'm not getting to the website. All I get is what you see below. Am I typing the address wrong, or are they no longer in business? Thank you.
Well, that's a shame. Same result. I've used them a few times and liked their work. Guess they're out of business.

Reaction score
Thank you for double checking, BenObi_70. I'm lost now. Do you have any idea who might be making large acrylic tops and bases like MR did? Thanks.
I guess you could try these guys. Not a recommendation, as I've never used them, but it looks like they make a variety of sizes/styles.

TOS

Reaction score
You can send a PM to Goldcylon here or maybe he will chim in this thread, he has a really good guy who makes some great display cases "à la Master Replicas".....

Reaction score
I just checked my MR Remote (#888)

Nothing is sticky.

I don't keep it in a case.

Reaction score
Thank you for double checking, BenObi_70. I'm lost now. Do you have any idea who might be making large acrylic tops and bases like MR did? Thanks.
I could organize these one to one like MR made them (base and cover), but it is a lot of work (everything is handmade and there are multiple steps to do) and it is NOT cheap at all. I had some made for my collection. In addition the shipping is expensive and to the US I am afraid you have to pay customs :/

Examples:

Y-Wing base and cover: https://forum.rebelscum.com/threads/chewiegum-collection.1142992/page-7#post-20408134

Training Remote: https://forum.rebelscum.com/threads/chewiegum-collection.1142992/page-3#post-20320806

Death Star Tile: https://forum.rebelscum.com/threads/chewiegum-collection.1142992/page-2#post-20254630

Chris

Reaction score
My MR Training Remote (grey rectangles) and MR LE Sabers with T-tracks did become sticky too in due time.
I tried a few drops metal glo polish on a rag to wipe off the T-tracks not on the hilt. The stickiness can be removed but the luster of rubber doesn't return to the original condition.
I decided not to touch or wipe them as it will just worsen.

Reaction score
By the way, some of the sideshow 1/6 action figures also have this issue.
For example : Salacious Crumb accessory on Jabba's throne. The guy is sweating oil and rubber haha