Master Replicas / eFX - Value Retention

Reaction score
With no new licensed prop replicas truly available these days (especially on the high-end), how come we aren’t seeing larger increases in value/sales price of these rarer by the day prop replicas?

Reaction score
With no new licensed prop replicas truly available these days (especially on the high-end), how come we aren’t seeing larger increases in value/sales price of these rarer by the day prop replicas?
A few reasons I can think of - firstly the hype of the new films prior to release saw a spike in prices, probably partly due to demand from new collectors. I think that initial excitement and renewed interest has waned. Secondly there are a lot more fan made products available that, in some cases, offer a superior and more screen accurate product than the older licensed products.

Reaction score
Just because new licensed props are not available equates to increase in the value of older licensed collectibles. Blame the invisible hand :). As RebelSpy007 stated, it's simple; the demand for these have not increased to merit the increase in the value of of these replicas (more like demand has decreased).

In addition to what RebelSpy007 said, the new entrants to Star Wars collectors are simply not interested in collecting prop replicas and instead, they are collecting new medium of collectibles including Hot Toys and other Star Wars art toys. Another bad news is that those who have been fervent collectors of prop replicas have liquidated or are in the process of liquidating their prop replicas as they are completely abandoning the hobby. Just look at reddit/facebook groups/rebelscum. There is barely any activities or discussion between the collectors. The only discussions we can find are folks complaining about Anovos and EFX. Which brings me to another point.

Too much moaning, whining, and gnashing of teeth about EFX and ANOVOS would surely repel any prospective collectors from entering the hobby. People collect to find joy but if they find only negative and depressing postings about the current license holders, I don't see why any new collectors would ever delve in this hobby. ANOVOS and EFX have wronged us, but the blame goes to all of us too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Most MR/efx have hit their limit of what people are willing to/able to pay. Most have doubled or tripled in value, and are holding, which is pretty good. Also I think that SW collecting has “cooled” considerably in the last three years. I know that I don’t buy nearly as much as I used to and I don’t feel alone in this. The props that I have, I love and have no interest in selling right now but I won’t buy any of the new stuff. If if could fill in some holes in my MR collection I might do that but not at 2-300% over retail.

Reaction score
I was about to start a thread about prices going down.. I have been able to pick up quite a few items at very low prices... Will continue to buy what is on my bucket list while prices remain low..

Last edited:
Reaction score
I’ve sold off most of my MR collectibles and I have 3 lightsabers left, but yeah it’s a buyers market now.

Reaction score
Too much moaning, whining, and gnashing of teeth about EFX and ANOVOS would surely repel any prospective collectors from entering the hobby. People collect to find joy but if they find only negative and depressing postings about the current license holders, I don't see why any new collectors would ever delve in this hobby. ANOVOS and EFX have wronged us, but the blame goes to all of us too.
This is a bit ridiculous.

Especially that last sentence. It’s not as if the complaints about either company have been without merit, is it? Both are continuing to fail us as customers. As someone who has been trying for ten MONTHS to get a refund from Anovos, I can agree that there hasn’t been much “joy” in the hobby lately. But the complaints have been well-earned, and it’s reasonable to assume that what is “repelling” new people from joining the hobby is the substance of the complaints, not the fact that people are complaining in the first place.

Who in their right mind would enter a hobby where the prices are high, the licensees don’t deliver on time, and you can’t get a response after they’ve got your money?

Reaction score
....the new entrants to Star Wars collectors are simply not interested in collecting prop replicas and instead, they are collecting new medium of collectibles including Hot Toys and other Star Wars art toys.
I had no idea Hot Toys figures were "Toys". I have yet to see a five year old playing with a three hundred dollar figure. Exactly in your superior view of the collector world what do you consider toys?

Reaction score
Just because new licensed props are not available equates to increase in the value of older licensed collectibles. Blame the invisible hand :). As RebelSpy007 stated, it's simple; the demand for these have not increased to merit the increase in the value of of these replicas (more like demand has decreased).

In addition to what RebelSpy007 said, the new entrants to Star Wars collectors are simply not interested in collecting prop replicas and instead, they are collecting new medium of collectibles including Hot Toys and other Star Wars art toys. Another bad news is that those who have been fervent collectors of prop replicas have liquidated or are in the process of liquidating their prop replicas as they are completely abandoning the hobby. Just look at reddit/facebook groups/rebelscum. There is barely any activities or discussion between the collectors. The only discussions we can find are folks complaining about Anovos and EFX. Which brings me to another point.

Are you for real? :rolleyes: Is it our fault these two companies don't release products for years, that they don't have any kind of customer service, that they don't respect their fans, that they take the money and you don't hear from them for ages? I would advise all collectors to stay away from these companies, I would never tell them to pre-order from any of them directly, because I would feel guilty for giving them a bad advice and have their money taken away without the prospect of ever seeing the finished product. It is NOT our fault that these companies cannot do a proper business and respect their customers. It's theirs alone.

I had no idea Hot Toys figures were "Toys". I have yet to see a five year old playing with a three hundred dollar figure. Exactly in your superior view of the collector world what do you consider toys?
Exactly. I've been recently banned from a tiny FB group when the admin didn't like my post about collectibles. :grin: He kept pushing the words "f***ing Hot Toys dolls" on his group, and when I mentioned they are more accurate and better made than his beloved Premium Formats, and that some prop collectors might look at statues like they are dolls, the same way some statue collectors look at 1/6 figures as dolls, he got mad. I laughed in his frustrated totalitarian Mussolini-like face and blocked his ***** too.:p But the idea remains: Hot Toys are more accurate than many larger collectibles, their sculpts are great, and the overall quality is excellent. They might have issues with pleather and rubber, but so do PF's, and even props and helmets have issues with the materials they are made of. In the end Hot Toys are far from the toys you handle your kids to play with.

Reaction score
Are you for real? :rolleyes: Is it our fault these two companies don't release products for years, that they don't have any kind of customer service, that they don't respect their fans, that they take the money and you don't hear from them for ages? I would advise all collectors to stay away from these companies, I would never tell them to pre-order from any of them directly, because I would feel guilty for giving them a bad advice and have their money taken away without the prospect of ever seeing the finished product. It is NOT our fault that these companies cannot do a proper business and respect their customers. It's theirs alone
Originally Posted by The_Antiquarian

Anovos also tried to blame their customers for cancelling orders when they didn’t ship. I’m not sure they could’ve been anymore offensive?
Suggesting disgruntled customers who complain when they are ignored for months and years is also incredibly offensive. Calling them whiners and moaners, even more so.

Reaction score
I'm pleased we have the option of Hot Toys. Posed well, they have great shelf presence, and from my experience, they always get positive comments from visitors. I agree with Sergiu that they offer a far more accurate representation of our beloved characters vs 'most' PFs. (some exceptions of course). With Sideshow not appearing to release any Star Wars product anymore (I maybe wrong) I'm glad we have Hot Toys continuing to release figures across the Star Wars timeline. I'll also throw in UCS Lego into this mix - another company that delivers some fantastic products that have huge shelf presence. Sorry for going off topic.

Last edited:
Reaction score
One other consequence of the substantial dip in officially licensed high-end props (and I'd argue 1/4 PF SW statues as well) is the fact that--lets be frank, there are some pretty fantastic non-licensed custom craftsmen/sellers out there now in the year 2019. They are much easier to find these days whether in FB Groups, Etsy, Message boards, etc., & the quality of some of these artisanal pieces have nearly become as good (& in some cases better) as anything MR mass-produced. For example, when I first saw & held in my hand a metal, non-3D resin printed Phoenix Props V2 Kyo Ren lightsaber, it blew me away. Also, I could say the same in the statue world about MYC's Oola piece. My gosh, it's a thing of beauty & more than holds it own against the best of SS's pieces. IMHO, a tipping point has been reached, and I think these current license holders know it; It's just not profitable for them to put anything out anymore.

Markets will always go up and down. During the years immediately following the Great Recession, this was a nifty time to catch-up on a lot of pieces I'd missed out on previously. A lot of stuff was even cheaper than when it first came out. During the hype-train lead-up to TFA we started seeing prices spike and it turned into more of a seller's market for the past couple of years, with prices doubling and tripling in value over their retail costs. Though as it's been observed in previous posts in this thread, it does seem like prices have started consistently dipping again, whether it's props, statues, busts, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if after the hoopla of TROS peters out that 2020 returns us to more of a buyer's market as collections start to thin out a bit once again.

Last edited:
Reaction score
One other consequence of the substantial dip in officially licensed high-end props (and I'd argue 1/4 PF SW statues as well) is the fact that--lets be frank, there are some pretty fantastic non-licensed custom craftsmen/sellers out there now in the year 2019. They are much easier to find these days whether in FB Groups, Etsy, Message boards, etc., & the quality of some of these artisanal pieces have nearly become as good (& in some cases better) as anything MR mass-produced. For example, when I first saw & held in my hand a metal, non-3D resin printed Phoenix Props V2 Kyo Ren lightsaber, it blew me away. Also, I could say the same in the statue world about MYC's Oola piece. My gosh, it's a thing of beauty & more than holds it own against the best of SS's pieces. IMHO, a tipping point has been reached, and I think these current license holders know it; It's just not profitable for them to put anything out anymore.

Markets will always go up and down. During the years immediately following the Great Recession, this was a nifty time to catch-up on a lot of pieces I'd missed out on previously. A lot of stuff was even cheaper than when it first came out. During the hype-train lead-up to TFA we started seeing prices spike and it turned into more of a seller's market for the past couple of years, with prices doubling and tripling in value over their retail costs. Though as it's been observed in previous posts in this thread, it does seem like prices have started consistently dipping again, whether it's props, statues, busts, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if after the hoopla of TROS peters out that 2020 returns us to more of a buyer's market as collections start to thin out a bit once again.
Good points here. I actually think the “slow demand” and lack of hype for Star Wars (post-Rian Johnson Episode VIII) and the lack of available licensed 1:1 prop replicas will actually drive up value for the Master Replicas and others down the road. This is the same formula (unloved, lack of availability) that creates collectible value in the first place.

Only time will tell ... and even though this era feels dry, I see good value appreciation in the future.

Reaction score
The Signature Editions remain high imo, not as high as people would like them to be, but still good.
I am still looking for some of these myself but BIN prices are not reflecting real prices. I was on the hunt for the last 2 years now (you can see it in my WTB thread) and
with patience it's possible to find good and fair deals (I have put all my buy prices next to the items for reference including shipping and customs I payed).
Once I have bought these last items one more collector who is buying will be gone and in this price range there are not many left anymore anyways.
Chris

Reaction score
When talking about unlicensed props, you should take into consideration the prop replicas made out of real parts. Those will always hold their value, and even increase over the years, some are way rarer and more sought after than Master Replicas and EFX, and of course they are already more accurate. And for those believing the fan made props might be flimsy and wonky, I assure you, they are not, a saber made out of a genuine Graflex or MPP, or a blaster made from a Mauser, Sterling, Webley, MGC Sterling or MGC Mauser are quite solid and with minor finishing flaws, that fit perfectly in a used-universe like Star Wars. On a funny note you can beat someone with most of these genuine parts props, and have no issues with them. :D

At the same time check out for example the Fieldmarshal full metal Stormtrooper E-11 blaster, the most accurate piece out there, except for a real Sterling conversion (and he is going to make other blasters and props). His E-11 comes with accurate parts, you can assemble it yourself, and even add a real Hengstler counter and M-type scope to it, if want to upgrade even further. Fans have learned a lot since the MR times, you can find superb prop replicas out there. Not to mention some obscure but cool props that will never be made by licensees like Imperial Code cylinders or Jawa props, which can be still made using real world parts.

The same with helmets and armors, we have great alternatives these days, and we even get limited editions by RS Prop Masters and others. I would never trade a RS Prop Masters or Laws helmet or armor for a licensed Anovos one, not just because of accuracy, but the overall material quality and build grade, which are superior to Anovos.

Reaction score
Ironic that here we are 30 years post-Eastern Bloc and you probably have "freer" international shipping laws concerning fake-weapon props than us Western folks do, Serg.

Once the new creators of Disney's Star Wars started going with less realistic, more sc-fi, colorful and nearly cartoony blasters, I was hoping there was a chance we'd start to see some of those prop items offered (outside of just a guy w/a 3D printer making customs). But foolish me, as long as a prop looks like it has a trigger it probably ain't happening.....

Reaction score
Ironic that here we are 30 years post-Eastern Bloc and you probably have "freer" international shipping laws concerning fake-weapon props than us Western folks do, Serg.

Once the new creators of Disney's Star Wars started going with less realistic, more sc-fi, colorful and nearly cartoony blasters, I was hoping there was a chance we'd start to see some of those prop items offered (outside of just a guy w/a 3D printer making customs). But foolish me, as long as a prop looks like it has a trigger it probably ain't happening.....
There are EU countries which allow almost all kinds of demilled stuff. Others less. In US there is a weird approach, you can get firing Mausers, but you cannot buy a deact. Sterling, unless cut up like crazy. But on the real parts sabers and other props things are much easier. And you can held in your hand a prop very similar to the one screen used. And the feeling is unique, way above unboxing a MR saber or prop. Licensed props will generally hold value, but if you look further a bit, especially in this age of the super fast internet, you can find that many unlicensed props hold value as well, and even increase.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That Sterling Stormtrooper Blaster looks interesting, I would add it to my collection if I would find one that is completely build and ready to display including that nice base you got there. :D
Chris

Reaction score
The bases for my ANHand ROTJ conversions were made by a good friend. They are full metal, very solid, perfect to hold real heavy blasters, we've seen damaged mirror bases on too many MR E-11 blasters because of its weight.

Depending on your location you can find a Steling more or less cut. There are a few cool greeblies you'd need to add to it: M38/M40 or M19/M32 vintage Sherman tank scopes (M19/M32 are about $600-900 these days, M38/M40 about $250-400), and an Eagle Hengstler mechanical counter ($60-150 with plastic sleeve, $200-350 with full metal sleeve). Good mag cylinders are made by Fieldmarshall, and the plastic t-tracks you can find in various locations.

MGC E-11 is rarer than a MGC Mauser, you can find about 10 MGC Mausers before you can find a single MGC Sterling. This ROTJ E-11 needs different type of greeblies, as they don't use M-type scopes nor counters anymore. Besides the MGC being rarer, its greeblies are also more difficult to find, not very expensive, but need to be separately made. There were a few runs on RPF as well as some are made by Fieldmarshall, or found on etsy or shapeways. If you find any of these blasters, don't hesitate, get them, their prices go up constantly. The feeling when you handle these metal beasts is unique. And remember, E-11 is the only blaster used by most of the SW heroes: Luke, Han, Leia, Lando.

Reaction score
Sounds pretty complicated to do myself :)
I have the MR ANH Stormtrooper Blaster but would add a real part ROTJ Blaster as well if someone would sell a good finished one.
Chris

Reaction score
Sounds pretty complicated to do myself :)
I have the MR ANH Stormtrooper Blaster but would add a real part ROTJ Blaster as well if someone would sell a good finished one.
Chris
In Germany you have access to some great options. And a few guys who could help as well, like Markus. Check out RPF topics and their classifieds section. Great pieces are for sale there from time to time. Many are finished too.

Reaction score
On a different note.. Just noticed ebay is charging taxes for texas residents.. An extra $35.00 for the MR ROTJ saber i just purchased...

Reaction score
On a different note.. Just noticed ebay is charging taxes for texas residents.. An extra $35.00 for the MR ROTJ saber i just purchased...
eBay's sales tax collection for US states

Based on applicable tax laws, eBay will calculate, collect, and remit sales tax on behalf of sellers for items shipped to customers in the following states.

StateEffective DateAdditional Information
AlabamaJuly 1, 2019Alabama
The State of Alabama has a program for simplified sellers use tax (SSUT) under Statute § 40-23-192. eBay has collected simplified sellers use tax on taxable transactions delivered into Alabama and the tax of flat eight percent (8%) will be remitted on the customer's behalf to the Alabama Department of Revenue.
eBay Inc. – SSUT Account Number: SSU-R010250382
ArizonaOctober 1, 2019Arizona
ArkansasJuly 1, 2019Arkansas
CaliforniaOctober 1, 2019Please contact the Department of Tax and Fee Administration for further information.
In addition to the sales tax collect and remit requirement, eBay is required by California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA), to collect and remit the Electronic Waste Recycling (eWaste) Fee. The eWaste Fee is a fee imposed on the retail sale or lease of certain electronic products that have been identified by the Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC). Additional information on the eWaste fee can be found on CDTFA's website.

Please note, the fee will be included with the applicable taxes.
ColoradoOctober 1, 2019Colorado
ConnecticutApril 1, 2019Connecticut
eBay Inc. is registered with DRS to collect Connecticut sales tax and will collect sales tax on all taxable Connecticut sales facilitated on our site.
District of ColumbiaMay 1, 2019District of Columbia
HawaiiJanuary 1, 2020Please contact the Hawaii Department of Taxation for further information.
IdahoJune 1, 2019Idaho
IllinoisJanuary 1, 2020Illinois
IndianaJuly 1, 2019Please contact the Department of Revenue for further information.
IowaFebruary 1, 2019Iowa
KentuckyJuly 1, 2019Kentucky
MaineOctober 1, 2019Please contact the Maine Revenue Services for further information.
MarylandOctober 1, 2019Please contact the Comptroller of Maryland for further information.
MassachusettsOctober 1, 2019Please contact the Massachusetts for further information.
MinnesotaJanuary 1, 2019Minnesota
Small business exemption - Minnesota has enacted a small business exemption for out of state unregistered sellers whose taxable retail sales into Minnesota are less than $10,000 in the previous 12-month period. These sellers are not subject to the Minnesota marketplace tax laws, and eBay will not be collecting sales tax on these transactions.
NebraskaMay 1, 2019Nebraska
NevadaOctober 1, 2019Please contact the Nevada Department of Taxation for further information.
New JerseyMay 1, 2019New Jersey
New MexicoJuly 1, 2019Please contact the Taxation and Revenue Department for further information.
New YorkJune 1, 2019New York
eBay Inc. is a registered New York State sales tax vendor and will collect sales tax on all taxable sales of tangible personal property that it facilitates for delivery to a New York State address.
North DakotaOctober 1, 2019Please contact the Office of State Tax Commissioner for further information.
OhioSeptember 1, 2019Please contact the Ohio Department of Taxation for further information.
OklahomaJuly 1, 2019Oklahoma
PennsylvaniaJuly 1, 2019Pennsylvania
Rhode IslandJuly 1, 2019Rhode Island
South CarolinaOctober 1, 2019South Carolina
South DakotaJuly 1, 2019South Dakota
TexasOctober 1, 2019Please contact the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts for further information.
UtahOctober 1, 2019Please contact the State Tax Commission for further information.
VermontJuly 1, 2019Vermont
VirginiaJuly 1, 2019Virginia
WashingtonJanuary 1, 2019Washington
West VirginiaJuly 1, 2019West Virginia
WisconsinJanuary 1, 2020Wisconsin
WyomingJuly 1, 2019Wyoming

Reaction score
An example of a nice blaster made of a Mauser MGC: https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/han-solo-bespin-dl-44-mgc-mauser-base.305364/ and it is in Europe already.
Very interesting, I will have an eye on these items. :sneaky:

Now I'm going to have to account sales tax when bidding / purchasing on a item..
:\
Unfortunately those taxes most of the time are much higher than what you would pay when you collect yourself at the local customs. At least for Germany.

Chris

Reaction score
Agree!! I have bought less high dollar stuff from eBay since the sales tax has kicked in.
I think ebay is taking a big hit now that most states want their taxes.. I usually put items im considering of possibly purchasing on my watch / saved list.. I have been receiving discount offers from the sellers to entice me to purchase their item.. Over the last week I have received at least 5 discount offers..

Last edited: