Marvel's Spider-Man - No Way Home

GNT

Reaction score
In case you've been under a rock Marvel's Spiderman 3 is going to be any Spiderman fan's dream with a lot of past actors from different eras back on the big screen.

The upcoming film is set to bring back past Spiderman stars Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield as well as Jamie Foxx (Electro) and Alfred Molina (Doctor Octopus), I believe Kirsten Dunst (MJ) and Emma Stone (Gwen Stacey) are also set to appear. No idea how big the roles will be but it's a nice way to fix the past mistakes and tie the franchises together somewhat.

Alfred Molina is definitely the biggest highlight of the cast. Dr Strange messing with the Multiverse?

Reaction score
See brother, I'm kinda more worried about that than excited. I don't wanna be a downer, but what does all this even mean? Multiverse? I assume and that's kind of cool...but...I mean as maybe among the leading Spidey nuts on these forums (Gosh look at my screenname) ...I don't know. It might be too much and Multiverse can go down a path that means no story has any consequence if not treaded lightly. Plus if being frank, Foxx's Electro was...not...good. Alfred Molina's Ock was great though. I mean, I suppose it's indeed possible that they're playing those characters but it's not THOSE characters from THOSE prior films, if you get me, but new "this universe" versions of Ock and Electro. Maybe? IS any of this confirmed?

Also I've been hearing rumors of Charlie Cox's Daredevil might show basically, I suppose, canonizing again the Netflix DD series. That would be a dream come true.

But I kind of wanted more a Kraven's Last Hunt with Spider-Man on the run, Mysterio secretly still alive and the one who hired Kraven (the "Mysterio" who died being Kraven's step-brother Chameleon), and Osborne now funding it all. This setting up a Sinister Six. Parker eventually even caught by Kraven...but Kraven can't do it. He can't kill a child and Parker is arrested...and needs a lawyer, Matt Murdock. Lots more ideas there, but that's more where I wanted this to go personally.

Reaction score
Until I see the movie I can't really say much as expected, I do have my reservations just like anyone at it being too grand in scope with so much going on in one movie. I mean honestly I could have done without Electro, or even MJ(Dunst), Gwen(Stone) popping up as well. Even if they're minor it just seem like, IDK..

Cox as DD would be great but I don't see it happening, MCU wants to put distance between them and the Netflix iterations. Same reason they wouldn't use the same cast from all the old Fox movies in their new F4 or X-Men. The sense is that Spidey 3, WandaVision and DR. Strange 2 are all connected, so whatever happens in those are contained and shouldn't see spillover. Although it's also been speculated that it could fuel a possibility to allow both Sony and Marvel to pursue Spider-Man Movies separately using different stars for each and being in alternate Universe. Though I don't know why they'd want the competition, when there's so many other characters.

I too was hoping we'd get to see Kraven and finally Chameleon and Scorpion, there is talk of s stand alone Kraven Movie though i don't know how that works. Unless he's tracking the Predator or Alien which Disney now owns both. lol

Since their moving towards Secret Wars it, will it play out in our known MCU, or an alternate Universe? As that would allow for previous characters to return and in disguise? With so many fresh new faces I guess it would be much easer to infiltrate the Avengers now.

Reaction score
after the success of "into the spiderverse", I suspected the MCU would do the same thing, and use the multiverse angle as a way of introducing Miles Morales.

which brings up an interesting question : Sony purchased the live-action movie-rights to Spiderman in 1999 (including all the characters in Spiderman's orbit); BUT Miles Morales first appeared in 2011; sooo... does Sony's deal even INCLUDE the live action version of Miles Morales?

is it possible to purchase movie rights, for 'future characters', than won't even exist for another 12 years?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would say yes, technically. While his secret identity character is different he still goes by "Spider-Man", which Sony owns. It's essentially a derivative character, not totally new one.

Just because the multiverse worked in animation doesn't mean the same result would happen in live action though. DC for example has made a lot of good animated movies, IMO much better then their live action versions. So I don't think it was a given for MCU.

Reaction score
No Way Home sounds about right. I can't wait to see what other surprises are in store. Multiverse of Madness could either make the MCU that much more awesome or blow it all into a million plot holes... Marvel does have the benefit of the doubt though with their impossible run so far.

Reaction score
AFAIK the entire "multiverse" storyline is contained within wandavision; Spiderman3; and Dr.Strange2.

after that, we won't hear about it anymore.

GNT

Reaction score
Interesting title, it doesn’t sound like this movie will have a happy ending.

Reaction score
Did anyone happen catch the spoof title reveals from the three cast members? They all looked very different and possibly revealing of something.

No way home kind of fits if they're basically using the same story line as into the Spiderverse.

Reaction score
AFAIK the entire "multiverse" storyline is contained within wandavision; Spiderman3; and Dr.Strange2.

after that, we won't hear about it anymore.
Not that I'm coaxing another powerpoint from Cobalt, but I'm not sure why they would spend the effort to open up the multiverse only to completely close it forever?

Don't forget, we have "Quantumania" coming in Ant-Man and the Wasp 2 also... Not sure how they relate or even if they do relate at all?

Reaction score
While spiderverse was a good stand along story, I really am hoping its not really what spiderman 3 is about, as it creates more problems than it solves.

Reaction score
While spiderverse was a good stand along story, I really am hoping its not really what spiderman 3 is about, as it creates more problems than it solves.
When I started hearing about returning actors from previous iterations of Spider-Man onscreen.... I wondered why Jamie Foxx?? He was garbage in that role. Why not Sandman? That was a cool character in that awful movie and Thomas Haden Church was perfectly cast. Alfred Molina is a good choice from the first set of Spider-Man movies though a bit old now at 67... (Michael Keaton is 69 so maybe not)

Not too keen on spiderverse either. I want Sinister Six!! That has to be next with the rumors of all these villains right? They could do Doc Oc (Molina), Vulture (Keaton), Electro (Foxx... errr), Mysterio (Gyllenhaal), Scorpion (Mando), and maybe?? Kraven (Luke Evans, Jason Momoa, Sharlto Copley?)

Not gonna lie, never was a big fan of Kraven though.... I'd rather they bring in a Goblin or a Symbiote or Black Cat or Sandman or Hydroman......

Reaction score
Because where Far From Home ended, to anyone versed in Spidey lore, it was a pretty obvious set-up for Kraven tracking Peter while he's on the lamb because his identity was exposed. I was also thinking it was setting up a return of Daredevil as, if Peter did eventually get caught, he'd need a lawyer. Then lastly I was also thinking someone would have to have hired Kraven, perhaps a still alive Beck, and purposely used Chameleon as incentive for him to hunt Peter as they're step-brothers - the Beck who "died" having been Chameleon in disguise AKA Dmitri from Far From Home secretly in with Beck and got double-cross used as a patsy by Mysterio. So now Beck has to take down Peter and fast because he's the only one who truly knows Beck is...not...innocent and could actually expose him. But he has to do it through someone else because Beck, to the public and Peter himself, is "dead." Hence, Kraven. Then by the end you find out, Norman Osborne was funding Mysterio's technology and forming the Sinister Six. When we last left Peter Parker, I think something very akin to this was the very clear set-up for the third film. Multiverse was...not...it. I frankly feel Sony forced this move on Disney MCU so they can have Tom Holland cross over into their own Spider-Universe films.

I just have no desire to see multiple Spider-Men in a film. I never particularly liked any of the former films that much. I found Toby to be a decently good Peter but a very lackluster Spider-Man. Plus I mean...this high school student looks like he's got a 4K retirement plan and two kids. I found Andrew to have nailed what Toby didn't, the smartass quippy teenage Spider-Man but his Peter was downright cringe. A skateboarding montage? Really? He was way too "cool," think more freak and less geek. My man could flick his finger and any girl in the school would swoon him. I really think the only one to have nail Spider-Man AND Peter Parker is Holland. He has the socially awkward nerd aspect but also the more confident, quippy, won't shut up Spider-Man persona when he needs to. He's the perfect blend...that resulted in the closest to comic Spider-Man's persona IMO. Now yes, the MCU Spider-Man films are very different in a lot of other ways;

- Hot young Aunt May.
- Little to basically zero mention of Uncle Ben.
- Iron Man mentorship.
- Ned Leeds over more iconic friends like Harry.
- Flash Thompson being less jock bully and more new-age rich "influencer" type.
- MJ not being MJ at all. Both literally and figuratively.
- Stark Tech. suit.

...but despite all this, some of which irks me and some I think works just fine to even great, what I mean is just Peter/Spider-Man HIMSELF as a character seems the most accurate on film to comics yet IMO.

The villains from prior films were hit or miss for me. I've still never gotten over them putting a genius actor like DaFoe in that utterly ridiculous looking helmet. It's particularly egregious because, all due respect to the actor, but frankly...he looks more like a scary goblin without it. My man is a creepy looking dude. Plus you obscure all that facial work and expression with a helmet. His performance was great, but I think it's so limited due to that costume. Doc Ock I'd say is the best of the pre-MCU film villains, won't get a complaint from me there. He was fantastic! Best part of the Raimi films. Then we get to Spider-Man 3. Oh boy...Raimi clearly doesn't understand or care for Venom. It's well documented that he was forced to put him in. He was atrocious. Green Goblin II looks like he came straight from the X-Games. I still don't think there's been an on-screen Goblin that looks good. Sandman was the best of the three, but the whole "He's who...REALLY...shot Ben" reveal was so bad. Plus the whole almost over-the-top pity me angle they used for him. It was a bit much for me, but I will say the best scene in the film is def. when Sandman "wakes up."

Now for the Amazing Spider-Man villains, well...I didn't think Lizard was TERRIBLE. He's just not really great either. Visually, it's not a great design but I don't think it's as bad as many said. I like it a lot better than ever film Green Goblin design. I sure do miss the lab coat though. But I actually enjoyed a lot of their fight scenes. Where it went a little too far for me was the totally B-Movie plot of turning the city into lizard-people. I get it...it's a comic book movie that has a boy with radioactive spider-powers, but still. Was a little cornball. Electro was easily one of the worst Spidey villains on-screen. They hammed that up SO much. I don't blame Foxx for it, just the way that part was written was atrocious. It really reached points of unintentional comedy, I was laughing it was so bad. Rhino is just...there. Also very over-the-top, but such a small role I forget he's even in it sometimes. Plus right before they fight, the scene CUTS. What was up with that? Then you've got yet another terrible Goblin. Firstly, he kind of just shows up...and secondly, what's with the look? He looks like a cross between a meth addict, a cyborg, and a leper. Just...not...a good flick.

But with all this said, do I really want any of this back in an entirely different and new continuity? Not...particularly...and what baffles me most is the sheer amount of people who DO want it. I just don't get it. I thought the Raimi films were at best still over-all downright campy and at worst downright bad. I thought the Amazing films were at best just overly-dark and as worst reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally bad. WHY do people want this over just a straight-forward sequel?

Reaction score
I predict cameos. like the way Warwick Davis appeared in ROTS, in a blink-and-you-missed-it cameo.... it was hardly noticeable in the final film.... but that didn't stop the entire internet from freaking out over it, when J.J. made a point of leaking that singular BTS image of him getting "suited up" as wicket. so naturally, based on that one BTS image, EVERYONE thought he was "reprising his role" as Wicket, to lead Our Heroes to the wreckage of the death star (or something like that).... but in Reality(tm).... it was just a 4 second cameo.

so yeah. I predict a montage/comedy scene where Peter is haplessly traversing the "multiverse-of-madness" --- he goes from one universe to another, for a just brief cameo in each setting --- one second he interrupts a fight scene between Toby and Doc Oc; the next moment he comes between Garfield and Electro; next he encounters Peter Porker the Spectacular SpiderPig (he breaks the fourth wall and looks at the camera like "WTF!?") and then ZAP! --> he's onto the next universe.

if Garfield and Toby are in it, AT ALL, they'll share about 12 seconds of screen time, between the two of them. like Warwick Davis all over again. there's nothing to see here. the entire internet making a Huge Deal out of "cameos".

Reaction score
Well I mean it's true, they could be just cameos and that wouldn't bother me so much...but we don't know that. I mean Evan Peters is...not...just a cameo in Wandavision. I mean it really brings up a lot of questions: 1. Will these be the very same versions from the former films? 2. Will these be the same actors playing NEW versions of these roles? I.E: Molina as Ock but not the Raimi Spidey 2 Ock? 3. Will they really play a role at all? I mean you could even argue maybe some will and others won't. It's not all or nothing here. We just don't know yet.

But how exactly does the multiverse even come into this story to begin with? Wandavision, sure, makes sense considering the nature of her powers. Dr. Strange? Absolutely, again makes sense due to the nature of his abilities and stories. Spider-Man? Considering how Far From Home ended, how does this come into play at all? It just seems like a sidetrack away from how the last Spidey ended instead of the natural progression of where things seemed to be heading. And whether or not these FORMER actors roles are cameos or larger roles, we at least know that the Multiverse itself is a key plot to this. Why? How? I sincerely just think it's because Sony demanded Holland be in Venom...and this is the only way to do it.

Just too many questions and no answers yet so all we can do is just go with gut for now. I may end up loving it, but my gut says...right now...this is not the direction I'd have gone in. At all.

Reaction score
I don't think Sony wants Holland to be in Venom. I think they want to make concurrent Spiderman films with a DIFFERENT actor. ie: after this whole multiverse thing, then Holland can stay in the MCU.... and the venom-verse can have Garfield. or Toby. (or Miles Morales, for that matter).

from a BTS production POV, the multiverse allows for BOTH Sony AND Marvel to make Spiderman movies... with different actors.

and they would STILL be part of the same ongoing tapestry -- the same "multiverse" -- (unlike the James Bond thing in the 80's where we had both Sean Connery and Roger Moore releasing Bond movies AT THE SAME TIME (never say never, and octopussy) and the audience was left to argue over which one was the "legitimate" release -- most people to this day will say 'never say never' was NOT legitimate -- and Sony doesn't want that for their venomverse).

I think Sony wants to make their OWN spiderman movies with a different actor -- but they don't want their version to be the equivalent of "never say never again" (or the fans would reject it out of hand).

this is the only way for BOTH studios to make "legitimate" spiderman movies moving forward , where the audience does NOT need to "choose sides" between one studio and the other.

enter: the multiverse.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well I mean it's true, they could be just cameos and that wouldn't bother me so much...but we don't know that. I mean Evan Peters is...not...just a cameo in Wandavision. I mean it really brings up a lot of questions: 1. Will these be the very same versions from the former films? 2. Will these be the same actors playing NEW versions of these roles? I.E: Molina as Ock but not the Raimi Spidey 2 Ock? 3. Will they really play a role at all? I mean you could even argue maybe some will and others won't. It's not all or nothing here. We just don't know yet.

But how exactly does the multiverse even come into this story to begin with? Wandavision, sure, makes sense considering the nature of her powers. Dr. Strange? Absolutely, again makes sense due to the nature of his abilities and stories. Spider-Man? Considering how Far From Home ended, how does this come into play at all? It just seems like a sidetrack away from how the last Spidey ended instead of the natural progression of where things seemed to be heading. And whether or not these FORMER actors roles are cameos or larger roles, we at least know that the Multiverse itself is a key plot to this. Why? How? I sincerely just think it's because Sony demanded Holland be in Venom...and this is the only way to do it.

Just too many questions and no answers yet so all we can do is just go with gut for now. I may end up loving it, but my gut says...right now...this is not the direction I'd have gone in. At all.
I'm hoping the movie centers on the 'Peter Parker being outed' storyline and not so much of the multiverse stuff. I agree that cameos seem most likely with Peter hoping in and out of a few realities in the last half of the movie and Strange comes in to sort it out a bit.

Evan Peters was just a cameo to mess with the fans I think. It of course leaves the speculation open for the future as 'how would Agatha manage to pull out the x-men universe Pietro' without some knowledge of that universe right? I'm thinking more and more they are trying to tie in all the previous Marvel movies as "THE MULTIVERSE".

It doesn't mean they'll be pulling in Chris Evans to play Human Torch Opposite Chris Evans as Captain America, but it allows all of those movies to have at least SOME standing in the larger Marvel cosmos... You have the main MCU and all these multiverses that just so happen to have been onscreen before now.

Reaction score
I don't think Sony wants Holland to be in Venom. I think they want to make concurrent Spiderman films with a DIFFERENT actor. ie: after this whole multiverse thing, then Holland can stay in the MCU.... and the venom-verse can have Garfield. or Toby. (or Miles Morales, for that matter).

from a BTS production POV, the multiverse allows for BOTH Sony AND Marvel to make Spiderman movies... with different actors.

and they would STILL be part of the same ongoing tapestry -- the same "multiverse" -- (unlike the James Bond thing in the 80's where we had both Sean Connery and Roger Moore releasing Bond movies AT THE SAME TIME (never say never, and octopussy) and the audience was left to argue over which one was the "legitimate" release -- most people to this day will say 'never say never' was NOT legitimate -- and Sony doesn't want that for their venomverse).

I think Sony wants to make their OWN spiderman movies with a different actor -- but they don't want their version to be the equivalent of "never say never again" (or the fans would reject it out of hand).

this is the only way for BOTH studios to make "legitimate" spiderman movies moving forward , where the audience does NOT need to "choose sides" between one studio and the other.

enter: the multiverse.
Sony and Marvel have an interesting dance right now. Sony has the character (Spider-Man), but they don't want to distance themselves from the most lucrative franchise going. I completely understand why they want to use their own character in their own movies and make ALL the money, so having more than one Spider-Man makes sense. If they can keep the momentum they gained with Venom AND keep Spider-Man in the MCU .... they get all the money from their universe and at least a portion of the MCU Spider-Man pie.

The animated Miles Morales Spider-Man was really well done, so in my opinion, they need to get a Miles Morales out there as fast as possible. If we don't see that character in Spider-Man No Way Home I will be SHOOOOOOOOCKED.

Interesting to note: Venom 2 comes out first (hard covid maybe :confused:). If it was me running things, I'd have pulled a Miles Morales cameo into that somehow. Then Spider-Man 3 could not only have a Toby and Andrew cameo, but also a Venom and Miles cameo since multiverse makes just about anything possible.

Reaction score
I agree. Miles Morales needs his own movie franchise. they need to set up a spinoff ASAP. and spiderman3 is the perfect launching pad for that spinoff.

so even if the MCU gets Holland, and the venom-verse gets Miles Morales (instead of Toby or Garfield), this is the most likely path moving forward: BOTH studios need to make spider-man movies with DIFFERENT actors.

if Sony plays their cards right they could 'have their cake and eat it too' (twice)* -- they could allow Holland appear in the Marvel movies AND have their own spiderman franchise(s)*, separate from the MCU -- this is what the "multiverse" is leading us into.

* they could have a separate Miles Morales franchise; a separate Peter Parker franchise (starring Toby or Garfield); and ALSO keep Holland in the MCU. the possibilities are endless.

(and it would be a boon for the fans IMO -- imagine THREE different spiderman movie franchises, all co-existing, ALL at the same time) ;) (I'd hit it).

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't really want to see 2 spidermen at the same time . (Including Morales - although I am fine if he stays in the animated version which was done well.)

I am OK with Sony doing "grey area" Marvel Movies with the understanding they won't revolve around what even is in the MCU at the moment. Heck as of now I would put Ghost Rider & Blade movies into the catagory also, although I know that won't happen.

We are working towards a sinister 6 movie & it will be related to the MCU. That should be great.

One of the real strengths of the MCU is that it is all connected, even if Hulu, Netflix, Sony & others never onscreen connect its a big world with many things happening that we don't know about. (No I am not getting into whatever was "disowned" because the original premise doesn't really allow for that.)

Reaction score
^^ that's the beauty of it -- if you don't want to see 2 separate spidermen, then you don't have to watch the Sony version(s) -- if you only want to see the MCU version, then Holland can still appear in the MCU. it's a win/win for everybody.

otherwise, the 2 studios would just fight over the character :( and in the end, Sony's version(s) would prevail -- Spider-man would be pulled from the MCU. and Holland would end up doing Venom movies instead :(

suddenly: the "multiverse" allows BOTH studios, to have their own separate franchise(s) -- and whether we watch them or not, is entirely up to us. ;)

Reaction score
Well, Holland's contract is up with Spider-Man 3. So it's quite possible that this movie will set the stage for him to exit the character, or to stay on with either Sony or Marvel. He would then need to negotiate a new deal. Thing is does Sony want to keep him more than Marvel, or do they use this opportunity to recast? Same goes for Marvel, do they recast or keep him? Personally I feel having the character connected to both studios is problematic, if it were a different actor you could basically have Sony do all the stand alone movies while MCU just as him in the team up movies similar to how they handle Hulk appearing. Otherwise it ties the character down somewhat with how they treat him in one studio versus the next because what happens in a Sony move then affects his MCU character.

Spider-Man is a Money maker though so you're gonna have a tug-of-war type situation, which was likely the reason for fallout between Sony and Marvel after the first movie. So that's why I would like them to work out a deal so they can continue to use Spider-Man in the MCU separate from what happens in Sony verse. Some people say that would just confuse the audience and maybe it would the first time, but I think after a couple movies they would come to understand. Just like how they know that Garfield Spider-Man movies aren't sequels to McGuire Spider-Man movies.